Official University of Utah c/o 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonmate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
just wanted to give a shout out to all who will be attending the U next year. It would be nice to get a feel for where everyone's from (though I would imagine most are utah residents, but it would be nice to know the schools).

How excited are you for med school???? Cuz I am both excited and terrified!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

dragonmate said:
hey guys,
just wanted to give a shout out to all who will be attending the U next year. It would be nice to get a feel for where everyone's from (though I would imagine most are utah residents, but it would be nice to know the schools).

How excited are you for med school???? Cuz I am both excited and terrified!! :eek:

Yes, excited and terrified is a good way to put it. I'm not a Utah resident (yet), but my wife and I have lots of friends and family there. Since we have two kids, we're going to need all the support we can get!

humuhumu said:
Yes, excited and terrified is a good way to put it. I'm not a Utah resident (yet), but my wife and I have lots of friends and family there. Since we have two kids, we're going to need all the support we can get!
You'll fit right in then. It seems like there are a lot of students at the U with kids, so I'm sure there's a great support network in that respect. Are you going to the information session on April 7th? Though this might be a silly question since you're in Vermont.

Members don't see this ad :)
dragonmate said:
You'll fit right in then. It seems like there are a lot of students at the U with kids, so I'm sure there's a great support network in that respect. Are you going to the information session on April 7th? Though this might be a silly question since you're in Vermont.

I'd love to go, mostly for the chance to meet my future colleagues. Probably not going to happen but I haven't ruled it out completely. How 'bout you?

humuhumu said:
I'd love to go, mostly for the chance to meet my future colleagues. Probably not going to happen but I haven't ruled it out completely. How 'bout you?
I am def. going...it's just too good of an excuse to miss biochem. :D
Plus, like you said, it will be great to meet the people with whom I will be spending the next 4 years.
You should def. come if you get the chance. It sounds like it will be a nice heads-up session and the anatomy labe tour sounds great too. Hope you can make it!

dragonmate said:
Plus, like you said, it will be great to meet the people with whom I will be spending the next 4 years.
You should def. come if you get the chance. It sounds like it will be a nice heads-up session and the anatomy labe tour sounds great too. Hope you can make it!

Ah yes, the anatomy lab. I'm a big fan of anatomy. :love:

humuhumu said:
Ah yes, the anatomy lab. I'm a big fan of anatomy. :love:
How to spot a med student:
he/she craves a steak while dissecting the muscles of the pectoral region in anatomy lab ;)

dragonmate said:
How to spot a med student:
he/she craves a steak while dissecting the muscles of the pectoral region in anatomy lab ;)

Yeah, at restaurants I've learned that it's best to avoid saying things like, "check out that neurovascular bundle" or "I sure do love actin and myosin"... :smuggrin:

humuhumu said:
Yeah, at restaurants I've learned that it's best to avoid saying things like, "check out that neurovascular bundle" or "I sure do love actin and myosin"... :smuggrin:
oh. you mean to tell me that saying such things in a public place is not appropriate???? :eek:

so did you decide where you're going to live?

dragonmate said:
oh. you mean to tell me that saying such things in a public place is not appropriate???? :eek:

so did you decide where you're going to live?

We're looking for a house or condo in SLC, but first we have to sell our current house (in VT). As far as I'm concerned, the closer to campus, the better, but you pay for the convenience.... :eek:

dragonmate said:

No f*ing way! Are you in my biochem class?? Horvath/Blair?

Jaider said:
No f*ing way! Are you in my biochem class?? Horvath/Blair?
sorry jaider. i'm not. i'm taking a medical biochem class up at the SOM through the PATH dpt. but i do know a young lady who will also be joining us next year who is in your biochem class. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to see a little life in this thread! Who else is with us?? Don't be shy!

:hardy:

hey jaider
are you coming to the info session???

i think this thread is kinda hard to find for newcomers b/c it's hidden away in the allo thread and we're so used to going into the pre-allo thread. god it feels good to be here!! :clap:

dragonmate said:
i think this thread is kinda hard to find for newcomers b/c it's hidden away in the allo thread and we're so used to going into the pre-allo thread. god it feels good to be here!! :clap:

Not in my class? Dang. I was thinking: "Study partner!" :idea: Test on Monday...

I'll be at the info session, for sure. I'm curious to scope out our classmates. :thumbup:

It won't be long now until the bulk of acceptances go out and a few more people start posting on this thread. Not sure how many, though. Throughout my time on this board I've only come across about half-dozen Utah applicants. Maybe Utahns don't visit this site. I don't remember how I ever found this board, myself -- random Googling, probably...

Did you guys complete your financial aid supplemental (scholarship) application yet?

I haven't because it leaves me scratching my head... There are several scholarships available for students who intend to practice BLANK type of medicine, and the application has space for comment. So, what if I do like BLANK medicine. What do I write? Activities I've done that are related to BLANK? Or "Hey, I'm just a dumb "M minus 1" and my decision to practice BLANK is on the relatively uninformed side, but please grant me this scholarship anyway"?

Who is going to get these scholarships-- are they all need-based or are there some merit-based? If there are some merit-based ones, do we have a better shot at them since we three were all "immediate" acceptances? :p

Now a REALLY important question...

What are you wearing to the Info Day?

Should I not wear jeans? I'm very much a jeans kind of gal... but it's probably too early to be our casual selves, I'm assuming.

Khakis?

No skirt! I'm putting my foot down. :thumbdown: Unless I go shopping this week.

Jaider said:
Now a REALLY important question...

What are you wearing to the Info Day?

Should I not wear jeans? I'm very much a jeans kind of gal... but it's probably too early to be our casual selves, I'm assuming.

Khakis?

No skirt! I'm putting my foot down. :thumbdown: Unless I go shopping this week.
lol. you're hilarious.
1st: I do not plan to fill out the supp app b/c I have the same questions that you do. So unless someone can clarify this for us, I'm not bothering (too much to do already).
2nd: I would concur with your decision to wear khakis or some sort of pant, but not jeans. I think that once we begin grad school (esp. med school), we should look semi-professional, since we'll be dealing with people and all. If I were a patient, I wouldn't want anyone in my room who was wearing jeans (though I suspect we won't be doing much patient stuff, but some I'm sure). Bottom line, I think I'll be avoiding jeans, but I don't think it's a big deal. I see med students wearing jeans all the time at HSEB.

FINE!! I won't wear jeans this time. :laugh:

Now I have to go shopping.

I haven't filled out that application yet, but I probably will. Unless I become convinced that it's a waste of time.

Unfortunately I can't make it to the Info Day, but if I could, I'd probably wear khakis. I'm sure plenty of people will be wearing jeans....but don't get mad at me if I'm wrong! I'd wear whatever you feel comfortable in. In class I'll wear jeans some days, slacks other days. I think I'll phase out the jeans as I get closer to clinical rotations and working with patients. But that's just me.

Jaider said:
FINE!! I won't wear jeans this time. :laugh:

Now I have to go shopping.
God forbid!!! Not shopping! hehe. any excuse for me! I :love: shopping!

dragonmate said:
God forbid!!! Not shopping! hehe. any excuse for me! I :love: shopping!

Me too. But I'm dangerous when I shop and I'm trying not to spend all my money, so I try not to go often. I'm a binge shopper. Last week I ran into the cd shop to grab one and ended up buying thirteen. Then I got online and ordered a few more from Amazon. D'oh. So much for ONE!

So, I'll go shopping tomorrow for something non-jeany to wear on my bottom half but I'll end up buying a bunch of unrelated things too. There's this shirt at J Crew that I want, but it's overpriced at $100. Lame. I hope it's gone because otherwise I'll break down and buy it... :laugh:

Wanna go? You can restrain me. :D

humuhumu said:
I haven't filled out that application yet, but I probably will. Unless I become convinced that it's a waste of time.

Unfortunately I can't make it to the Info Day, but if I could, I'd probably wear khakis. I'm sure plenty of people will be wearing jeans....but don't get mad at me if I'm wrong! I'd wear whatever you feel comfortable in. In class I'll wear jeans some days, slacks other days. I think I'll phase out the jeans as I get closer to clinical rotations and working with patients. But that's just me.

I don't think the application would be a waste of time. SOMEBODY has to get those scholarships. I'm gonna do it... tomorrow.

I'll be your partner in jeans for classtime and then I'll dress up for patients. I feel you on that. Once I wore leather pants to work at a clinic and the patients loved it. It was Halloween and I was a rock star. In hindsight that was a bit embarrassing. But not really. :D

Jaider said:
Me too. But I'm dangerous when I shop and I'm trying not to spend all my money, so I try not to go often. I'm a binge shopper. Last week I ran into the cd shop to grab one and ended up buying thirteen. Then I got online and ordered a few more from Amazon. D'oh. So much for ONE!

So, I'll go shopping tomorrow for something non-jeany to wear on my bottom half but I'll end up buying a bunch of unrelated things too. There's this shirt at J Crew that I want, but it's overpriced at $100. Lame. I hope it's gone because otherwise I'll break down and buy it... :laugh:

Wanna go? You can restrain me. :D
oh, honey. I am the wrong person to be restraining you...I'm an enabler, but if you need a partner in crime, you've got one. ;)

humuhumu,
aren't you glad you're going to have dorks for classmates??? It makes things a lot more interesting :D

dragonmate said:
humuhumu,
aren't you glad you're going to have dorks for classmates??? It makes things a lot more interesting :D

**GASP** Did you just call me a dork?!

Jaider said:
**GASP** Did you just call me a dork?!
I guess I was refering more to myself. sorry jaider. you don't get the honorable distinction, unless of course you feel there is some reason that you might deserve it. :smuggrin:

dragonmate said:
humuhumu,

:p

Jaider said:
I don't think the application would be a waste of time. SOMEBODY has to get those scholarships. I'm gonna do it... tomorrow.

Just did it. I met the criteria for only one scholarship on the list. <sigh>

humuhumu said:
Just did it. I met the criteria for only one scholarship on the list. <sigh>
which one?

dragonmate said:
which one?

Dr. Rees Jensen Scholarship - Priority given to students with an interest in surgery as a specialty.

Ophthalmology is one of my top 3 choices right now, along with neurology and neuroradiology.

humuhumu said:
Dr. Rees Jensen Scholarship - Priority given to students with an interest in surgery as a specialty.

Ophthalmology is one of my top 3 choices right now, along with neurology and neuroradiology.
So if you receive this scholarship, do you then become committed to do surgery?

dragonmate said:
So if you receive this scholarship, do you then become committed to do surgery?

I doubt it. I'll be sure to read the fine print just in case!

Hey guys,

Humuhumu, you missed out today (the information session). Seems like we have a good class. And there's more than five of us (contrary to appearances on SDN)!

I met a lot of what-seem-to-be nice people. Cool people. Not bad looking, either. Not many dorks... :D Actually, I didn't see any dorks, except for dragonmate, and she's only a self-proclaimed dork. Not dorky at all, as far as I could tell.

Looking forward to August. It all seems more real now...

P.S. Hi dragonmate. **waves** Too bad our conversation was cut very short. I'll have to meet you properly later. :thumbup:

Jaider said:
Hey guys,

Humuhumu, you missed out today (the information session). Seems like we have a good class. And there's more than five of us (contrary to appearances on SDN)!

I met a lot of what-seem-to-be nice people. Cool people. Not bad looking, either. Not many dorks... :D Actually, I didn't see any dorks, except for dragonmate, and she's only a self-proclaimed dork. Not dorky at all, as far as I could tell.

Looking forward to August. It all seems more real now...

P.S. Hi dragonmate. **waves** Too bad our conversation was cut very short. I'll have to meet you properly later. :thumbup:

Yeah, wish I could have been there. Any surprises?

humuhumu said:
Yeah, wish I could have been there. Any surprises?
Hey Jaider [waves back]. lol. You know, I thought the class seemed...nice. I was gonna say something like diverse or interesting, but it wasn't really all that diverse and some people def. seemed interesting, but I mostly got the impression that everyone is very nice.
The info session was much more of a selling pitch than I thought it would be, and apparantly for good reason. There were a few folks who are still considering a few different schools, and hopefully yesterday helped them make a more informed decision.
I'm very impressed with the program and always have been. The faculty (from what we've seen) seems great and the facilities are beyond description.
Jaider, I got lost walking to the anatomy lab. A friend of mine and I decided to walk since it was so nice outside, but we ended up taking a bit of a "detour." But the lab looks great too and I can't wait for anatomy. Have you taken anatomy before? I know humuhumu has. ;) So did you have any strong impressions, good or bad?
Anyways, humuhumu, you didn't miss anything mind-blowing. Mostly a sales pitch, like I said. But it was great to see some of our future classmates. We got a tour of the anatomy lab too (it's a bit off campus, in Research Park). We also had the chance to try on lab coats to figure out what size to order when it comes to the White Coat Ceremony.
Well, I guess I'll see you all in August. I'll be away for the summer (I leave May 20), but will be back about 2 weeks before orientation starts, so maybe we can have a little unofficial get-together before the madness begins.

Thanks for the updates! Glad I didn't miss much. I definitely didn't need a sales pitch -- they'd be preaching to the converted....hmm, maybe that's not the best metaphor to use in Utah.... ;)

humuhumu said:
Thanks for the updates! Glad I didn't miss much. I definitely didn't need a sales pitch -- they'd be preaching to the converted....hmm, maybe that's not the best metaphor to use in Utah.... ;)
amen brother humuhumu. :laugh:

dragonmate said:
So did you have any strong impressions, good or bad?

Only good ones. :)

My big surprise of the day was getting a parking ticket. Also, they didn't talk $$. How much is this going to cost us? Speaking of $$, I forgot to fill out the supplementary finaid application, so no scholarships for me. D'oh!

Dragonmate, enjoy your trip! Where are you headed? To see your boy? I'm going away myself for a few months, so I'll see y'all in the fall. Coffees?

Jaider said:
Only good ones. :)

My big surprise of the day was getting a parking ticket. Also, they didn't talk $$. How much is this going to cost us? Speaking of $$, I forgot to fill out the supplementary finaid application, so no scholarships for me. D'oh!

Dragonmate, enjoy your trip! Where are you headed? To see your boy? I'm going away myself for a few months, so I'll see y'all in the fall. Coffees?
yeah. gonna go spend time with the man in milwaukee. we're also planning on taking a trip down to Chicago, and I've never been, so I'm pretty excited for that. Where are you going for your last hoora? Travel the world? see Bhuda? Def. coffees. let us know when you get back into town.

Well, with you two leaving town for the summer, guess I'll hold down the fort here at SDN until some other matriculant shows up. Have fun! :)

I gotta show some love for this thread. See you guys in the summer!

bgtati said:
Hey! Good to see a new classmate. Where are you from?

bgtati said:

Congratulations, and welcome to the thread! I have to say, as much as I'm enjoying life right now, I'm really looking forward to med school, too. Call me a glutton for punishment... :p

humuhumu said:
Congratulations, and welcome to the thread! I have to say, as much as I'm enjoying life right now, I'm really looking forward to med school, too. Call me a glutton for punishment... :p
btw, humuhumu, very interesting blog entry on the photo sneeze reflex thing. I never really thought about it, but I always close my eyes when I sneeze, though I don't tend to sneeze in bright light. But I do sneeze when I pluck my eyebrows. I can see a protective function of that sneeze reflex though.

I'm pretty excited for school as well. I'm taking this summer completely off from school and work, and I can feel my brain physically deteriorating "behind" my eyes...tehehe. sorry. that was probably the nerdiest joke I've ever made in my life. [silently scolding myself] :oops:

dragonmate said:
btw, humuhumu, very interesting blog entry on the photo sneeze reflex thing. I never really thought about it, but I always close my eyes when I sneeze, though I don't tend to sneeze in bright light. But I do sneeze when I pluck my eyebrows. I can see a protective function of that sneeze reflex though.

I'm pretty excited for school as well. I'm taking this summer completely off from school and work, and I can feel my brain physically deteriorating "behind" my eyes...tehehe. sorry. that was probably the nerdiest joke I've ever made in my life. [silently scolding myself] :oops:

:laugh:

I feel bad that I've neglected my blog since April. With classes in session and the impending move (end of June), things have been crazy. But I'll get back to it soon. So many interesting anatomy-related stories in the news, so little time....

humuhumu said:
:laugh:

I feel bad that I've neglected my blog since April. With classes in session and the impending move (end of June), things have been crazy. But I'll get back to it soon. So many interesting anatomy-related stories in the news, so little time....
Good luck with the move. It must be incredibly difficult to uproot your family and your life to move across the country. I'm assuming you found a place to live?
I've been going through the insane process of trying to find a place closer to school. I lived out in Sandy (about a 40 min. commute) for my undergraduate years, and I refuse to do that again. There are plenty of apartments, but most are dumps and unsafe and not worth the rent they're asking for it. So it looks as if the medical plaza towers will be my home, at least for the first year (not saying that these aren't dumps as well, but at least I get wireless).

dragonmate said:
Good luck with the move. It must be incredibly difficult to uproot your family and your life to move across the country. I'm assuming you found a place to live?
I've been going through the insane process of trying to find a place closer to school. I lived out in Sandy (about a 40 min. commute) for my undergraduate years, and I refuse to do that again. There are plenty of apartments, but most are dumps and unsafe and not worth the rent they're asking for it. So it looks as if the medical plaza towers will be my home, at least for the first year (not saying that these aren't dumps as well, but at least I get wireless).

Yup - back in April we found a place in the East Millcreek area of SLC. About a 10 minute commute. Smaller than our current home, but cute and well maintained. Given the current sellers' market in SLC, we feel very lucky.