***Official University of Washington School of Dentistry C/O 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blissy07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I noticed we were basically MIA here on SDN. Gotta represent =)

Who else is going to UW? I'm superexcited!

Members don't see this ad.

Huzzah UW 2013 Thread!!!
I'm so excited, I can't wait to pay my $100 down deposit. It's just so small compared to other schools! I love UW SoD!!!

yeahhhhh!

as for that deposit...this will be the first time all cycle that I am actually excited to pay for something haha.

We should make a facebook group soon! Put names to faces and see who'll be there in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aloha u guys i just got accepted and still debating which school i should go to. do u guys know a lot of ppl at the sku already and do they like it a lot? where u guys thinking of living cuz i think they said they no have student housing

Aloha u guys i just got accepted and still debating which school i should go to. do u guys know a lot of ppl at the sku already and do they like it a lot? where u guys thinking of living cuz i think they said they no have student housing

if you're looking for UW SOD endorsements here goes....ask and you shall receive!

the school is absolutely amazing. True, the majority of its facilities may not be sparkling and shiny, but the real value of a school lies in its PEOPLE (our SIM lab is pretty great!) And nearly everyone who knows UW SOD well will tell you it's golden.

I've had the fortune to be able to work closely with faculty/staff/students in several departments. The faculty is amazing. Even as an aspiring dental student, they were absolutely great to me. The students all love it too ! I know D1-D4 students, and a few people who graduated in the past 3 years, and no one has anything to say other than it will give you a wonderful education. The UW has a great reputation nationally, it is a very well-respected program. The small class sizes allow students to bond...it's like family!

Granted, no dental program has a 100% univeral approval rate, but talk to a few people who know UW well, and you'll find that those who dislike the UW dental program are few and far between. I've heard that the faculty at UW have a snobbish reputation, but I've personally found the opposite to be true.

It's obvious that I'm biased towards UW (ha), but here is a sampling of past threads; you'll find mostly positive, some negative. But the more information from both sides you find, the better decision you'll make:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=28471&highlight=washington

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=88608&highlight=washington

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=179635&highlight=washington

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=240667&highlight=washington

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=232869&highlight=washington

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=359167&highlight=washington

In the end, you'll graduate from whatever school you choose as a perfectly competent dentist! UW included :)

Thank you so much for this info it really helps. I like how the class size is small so there is more bonding. I just hope there is not too many gunner type that dont help each other out but there are those types everywhere. What is there to do around Seattle assuming we get time to go out and party haha. i am more of an outdoors type so anything fast and thrill seeking im down for it muahahahahaha

I got the letter today-- I'm in at UW! But... I haven't decided between UW and UCSF. I graduated from HS in CA, so I get IS tuition at SF, but I'm currently a WA resident. They're both great schools, both have great opportunities, SF is a great city, but CA is more expensive and saving 75K+ interest at UW is pretty nice too... what to do, what to do...

Congrats!
How did the school contact you guys?

I got the letter today-- I'm in at UW! But... I haven't decided between UW and UCSF. I graduated from HS in CA, so I get IS tuition at SF, but I'm currently a WA resident. They're both great schools, both have great opportunities, SF is a great city, but CA is more expensive and saving 75K+ interest at UW is pretty nice too... what to do, what to do...

I had a tough time deciding between those schools as well... but it came down to that 75K and being closer to home, so I went with UW and I am really excited about it now that I've decided... hope to see you next Fall!

Hey guys! I am an out of state applicant but I got an interview from them next week! I checked out the interview feedback section but I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice/tips for me! I read that they only accept 1/3 of the interviewees so I would like to be in that 1/3:love:

Has anyone been accepted to the RIDE program?

Hey:

I just made the my final decision, and it looks like UW will be the dental school for me :D.Jaboo008,have you decided what school your leaning toward yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
yo bryan thats good that you decided on UW:D. Congrats man wish u the best as well as everyone else. :) I still havent decided yet. It was cool meeting ya on Dec 15 when we were all like super nervous in that room haha. Do you know where you are going to live next year. A big concern is where I can find housing.

Kind of random question... I was a bit surprised to read that the $100 deposit isn't actually due until March 2. I'm still deciding between schools and waiting on one final school's decision. Does this mean I can accept a spot in the class and if I change my mind before March 2nd, I don't have to pay the $100?

Hey,

There's a ton of places near the UW that are within walking and bus distance. You just have to start looking early. Like, now, would be good because places get snatched up pretty quickly. I am currently living in the area, so if you need help finding a place, I can get you a list of apartments in the area that you can call. The UW also has apartments that they own, like the Commodore Duchess, that are usually reserved for graduate-level students that you might want to look into.

for those who went to UW as undergrads, was your aadsas GPA higher than your UW transcripts (if yes by how much)?

Mine was 0.05 higher. The UW requires you to send in an official transcript from your school, however. So I'm not sure how much they care about the AADSAS GPA conversion.

Hey,

There's a ton of places near the UW that are within walking and bus distance. You just have to start looking early. Like, now, would be good because places get snatched up pretty quickly. I am currently living in the area, so if you need help finding a place, I can get you a list of apartments in the area that you can call. The UW also has apartments that they own, like the Commodore Duchess, that are usually reserved for graduate-level students that you might want to look into.

I'm from MT and I could use some help finding a place to live. Any good suggestions would be appreciated.

If anyone wants a roommate, give me a shout.

BTW, CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!

How long did it take for everyone to receive the letter/package or whatever from Kathy after you received the phone call? Thanks!

How long did it take for everyone to receive the letter/package or whatever from Kathy after you received the phone call? Thanks!

i think i got mine the day after she called

i got mine like a week after cuz i live across da ocean :) is there a lot of parking for students at the dent school?

I will see you all there next year. I can't wait for school to start! It is going to be great to meet everyone.

Brad

i got mine like a week after cuz i live across da ocean :) is there a lot of parking for students at the dent school?

Not at all. You could buy parking but it'll be around $300/quarter (10weeks). It is really hard to find parking around the school. Maybe the chepest one is at S-1 parking lot which is like $3/day.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Congrats on getting in!

Thank you for those who PMd me with some helpful advice!

I'm so jelly of all of you guys! :thumbup:

I've made my decision-- I'm going to UW!!! It's a phenomenal school, the faculty is topnotch, the city is beautiful, and I just couldn't pass up saving the 75 G's... See you all there in the fall!

Does anyone know what grade we have to get in our remaining prereqs?

i got the call today! probably the fastest response i've gotten.. just interviewed there on Monday!

not 100% sure if i'll be attending... we'll see! i'm super excited though!!!

i got the call today! probably the fastest response i've gotten.. just interviewed there on Monday!

not 100% sure if i'll be attending... we'll see! i'm super excited though!!!
Heather I remember you! You are really pretty! Not as cute as me though :love: What other schools are you thinking other than UW?

???

Who are you?! Haha well I'm glad you're much cuter than me...

Heather I remember you! You are really pretty! Not as cute as me though :love: What other schools are you thinking other than UW?

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats schools are you debating between? I was in the same position tough decision ahead anywhere u go plenty good education u will get so no worries. would be cool if u join the rest of us :)

Hey guys, I'm only applying for 2010 entrance. Can anyone evaluate my chances at UW?

GPA: expect to graduate with about 3.71
TS 22/ AA 21/ PAT 21
EC is so-so
One summer of diabetes research
Washington state resident

If I hijacked the thread, apologies all around :).

Just got the call from Kathy yesterday. I suppose AADSAS update and letter will follow. Still waiting on the decision from UCSF, so no decisions yet, but it's good to hear from them finally.

And yes, those numbers are good enough to get in, but you'd be on the cusp without much extracirricular/volunteer/shadowing, so you'd have to be damn good in an interview.

Congrats! Your GPA is insane... haha did you graduate already or are you still in school?

Just got the call from Kathy yesterday. I suppose AADSAS update and letter will follow. Still waiting on the decision from UCSF, so no decisions yet, but it's good to hear from them finally.

And yes, those numbers are good enough to get in, but you'd be on the cusp without much extracirricular/volunteer/shadowing, so you'd have to be damn good in an interview.

Yea, I'm not sure... I declined NYU acceptance already, and the only other I have is Tufts. So between Tufts and UW, I'd definitely choose UW. If I get accepted to ASDOH or UNLV, it might make my decision a little harder... we'll see.

Are you definitely going to UW?

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats schools are you debating between? I was in the same position tough decision ahead anywhere u go plenty good education u will get so no worries. would be cool if u join the rest of us :)

oh ic hmm unlv and asdoh are good schools too. VEGAS muahahaha :) I wanted to stay west coast and uw had a lot to offer and i have family up there. My friend is going tufts hes super excited but kinda far away haha just think carefully about what you want but in the end you cant go wrong with any decision you make just consider where u might be happiest thats how i am going about this decision woot woot

Graduating this quarter! Can't wait... so done with this undergrad thing.

AFdentalgirl! I totally thought AF was for Abercrombie & Fitch until I saw your profile! I interviewed on the same day with you. We didn't get to talk but I remember you. I was the only girl that was prettier than you. Just kidding!

Anyway, just by the virtue of cost alone, I think I will be attending UW this fall. But I really wasn't all that impressed with UW...I can't really put my finger on it but maybe it's because I had such high expectations going in after hearing so much great things about the school.

Nothing about the school really stood out to me...facilities, faculty, and students all seemed average and not spectacular like I've read or heard. I was also kind of disappointed with their talking about the RIDE program for so long. Like, really? That's how you're going to impress me? Don't get me wrong, I think expanding care to underserved areas is a crucial issue but I'm pretty sure every single dental school in the country has some kind of outreach program.

Also, does anyone have any concrete data on UW's specialization rate? All I've heard are variations of "a lot of UW graduates specialize." I'm particularly interested in how many usually go into orthodontics in each class.

AFdentalgirl! I totally thought AF was for Abercrombie & Fitch until I saw your profile! I interviewed on the same day with you. We didn't get to talk but I remember you. I was the only girl that was prettier than you. Just kidding!

Anyway, just by the virtue of cost alone, I think I will be attending UW this fall. But I really wasn't all that impressed with UW...I can't really put my finger on it but maybe it's because I had such high expectations going in after hearing so much great things about the school.

Nothing about the school really stood out to me...facilities, faculty, and students all seemed average and not spectacular like I've read or heard. I was also kind of disappointed with their talking about the RIDE program for so long. Like, really? That's how you're going to impress me? Don't get me wrong, I think expanding care to underserved areas is a crucial issue but I'm pretty sure every single dental school in the country has some kind of outreach program.

Also, does anyone have any concrete data on UW's specialization rate? All I've heard are variations of "a lot of UW graduates specialize." I'm particularly interested in how many usually go into orthodontics in each class.

What were you not impressed about in particular? Facility wise, I guess it is okay, but the simulation lab is remodeled and is better than many other schools I've seen. Also, I would say we have one of the best faculty members. A lot of them are well know in this nation in their particular field. The best thing about this school is that it has a very small class size with very talented students. In my class I have not seen anybody who tries to be a gunner. Everybody works together and by end of gross anatomy (1st quarter of dschool) you get close with everybody in the class. Let me know if you wanna know more about school life. I am not sure of the specialization rate for ortho, but I do know that a lot of people DO specialize.

What's your name?
I don't remember there being any half Asian and half white girls there... that supposedly look like Kristin Kreuk... and that was really awkward.........

Did you get accepted to UW also?

UW is different from a lot of dental schools in that they don't try to bend over backwards to impress you with how wonderful they. They don't go overboard telling applicants how magnificent they are either. They don't have slick brochures or showy presentations. You get simple black and white information sheets and all of the presenters sit down at the board table and talk WITH you, including the dean. This can seem a bit underwhelming if you've been on other interviews where the schools put on big ego-boosting shows. This understated approach speaks volumes about UW. My experience as a volunteer and employee at the school has been very positive. Everyone I've met is incredibly professional, deeply concerned about patient welfare and community outreach, and takes both academic excellence and healthcare ethics very seriously. It's a substance-over-style school and has an excellent reputation in dentistry.

On a different note, don't forget that we may all end up being classmates together. Discussing your opinions about your own and fellow classmates' physical appearance might be better left in less public arenas.

I was the girl wearing Choos, obviously :love:

But on a more serious note, like everyone else that is from Seattle, I had heard so many great things about UW Dental. So maybe that's why I felt let down when I was there, because I had such high expectations. It's still my #1 choice and I'll most likely go there, but the allure of it being my dream school is kind of gone. Their touted sim lab was probably the least impressive lab out of the 4 schools I've seen, the facilities were so so, I don't know much about the credentials of the faculty but they didn't particularly seem all that connected with the students.

I would be forever grateful if someone can post any concrete data on UW's specialization rate. While we are at it, how about some facts that back up how great UW is, not just "I heard it's the best.' What makes it so good? I think the claim that UW doesn't really try to sell themseleves in the interview maybe legitimate.

You can't give me your name? Are you ashamed or embarrassed or something?

I'm sorry, I was probably not paying attention to what shoes everyone was wearing. Whether they're Jimmy Choo or not, they probably weren't anything special.

Why don't you do the research about UW on your own? God forbid you call and talk to someone that would be able to give you some accurate information...

Why is it still your #1 choice if it was so unimpressive? What were the other schools you saw?

I was the girl wearing Choos, obviously :love:

But on a more serious note, like everyone else that is from Seattle, I had heard so many great things about UW Dental. So maybe that's why I felt let down when I was there, because I had such high expectations. It's still my #1 choice and I'll most likely go there, but the allure of it being my dream school is kind of gone. Their touted sim lab was probably the least impressive lab out of the 4 schools I've seen, the facilities were so so, I don't know much about the credentials of the faculty but they didn't particularly seem all that connected with the students.

I would be forever grateful if someone can post any concrete data on UW's specialization rate. While we are at it, how about some facts that back up how great UW is, not just "I heard it's the best.' What makes it so good? I think the claim that UW doesn't really try to sell themseleves in the interview maybe legitimate.

I'm not very good at research :( I am really good at shopping though so maybe I can help you get a much better interview outfit if we both end up at UW :love:

If someone who is knowledgeable on this subject can point me in the right direction, that'd be so wonderful. I could call and ask about the specialization rates but I'd feel superficial and I don't wanna be viewed as "that" girl for wanting to specialize from the get go.

You are probably the most awkward person ever. Did UW actually accept you?

If it makes your feel better to tell yourself that you are so much prettier than everyone else, that's really pathetic. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself! Self-esteem issues are never good.

I'm not very good at research :( I am really good at shopping though so maybe I can help you get a much better interview outfit if we both end up at UW :love:

If someone who is knowledgeable on this subject can point me in the right direction, that'd be so wonderful. I could call and ask about the specialization rates but I'd feel superficial and I don't wanna be viewed as "that" girl for wanting to specialize from the get go.