OFFICIAL: UPitt Class of 2008!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, sorry about the confusion. I was accepted back in March (or whenever it was that decisions were made).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Congrats on getting in to Pitt for the fall! :D I'm in at the dental school. For a few reasons, I'm interested in living with someone in med school/grad school more than dental school. If anyone is looking for a roomie not specifically in med school PM me and we can chat. oh FYI I'm a girl, but I don't really have a gender preference for roommate.
Thanks
littled

i was hoping anyone here could let me know what you think of NYU. i just got taken off the waitlist there and am tinkering with the idea of going there over pitt. thanks a lot for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I am soooo happy to join you guys - I just got the call from Pitt today! I've been dreaming of going there ever since I decided to go into medicine, so today is definitely one of the best days EVER! :) Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate drop me a message - I'm looking for a female roommate. I cannot wait for August... tons of my friends went to undergrad at Pitt and everytime I've visited them it's been a blast. Pittsburgh is a great city and I can't wait to get started!

Exciting: finding roommates. I can't afford one bedrooms, and people are always interesting, so count me in a potential roommate.

And someone tell me about financial aid.

And thanks for the post TonyJerry.

Bumping this thread back up... :)

Also, I've been looking around online for apartments in Pittsburgh, and I've found some that seem realllly nice for not a lot of money. Sending out another call for potential (female) roommates! I'd really like to get a two or three bedroom apartment with some other students.

I have one other question. It's off the housing subject, but it's important. I understand everyone but me received their fin-aid packages. What was in it? Were there grants? Low/no-interest loans? I'd like to know what the packages they offered contained.

My Pittsburgh FA package had everything in it. It included some scholarship money, a school loan (no interest accrued during school), stafford, unsubsidized stafford, and private loan. The school loan wasn't large (5,000), but it's comparable to a Perkins loan. Overall, it seems like they put together a pretty decent package. Hope this helps!

ashkel said:
Bumping this thread back up... :)

Also, I've been looking around online for apartments in Pittsburgh, and I've found some that seem realllly nice for not a lot of money. Sending out another call for potential (female) roommates! I'd really like to get a two or three bedroom apartment with some other students.
Hi,

can you post some of the sites for apt searching.
also, any recommendations?

Thanks

What's going on with the Pitt pre-matriculation program? Has anyone heard anything?

dhooppi said:
Hi,

can you post some of the sites for apt searching.
also, any recommendations?

Thanks

The main site that I was using for apartment hunting is http://www.pitt.edu/~property/, it has links to all kinds of apartments available in different areas of the city. Also, if you just type "pittsburgh apartments" into Google a ton of sites come up. I think these apartments (www.oakhillapts.com/oakhill.htm) seem really nice, and I found some others that don't have specific websites (Shadyside Premier Apartments, The Brittany, and King Edward Apartments - I have the phone numbers for them if anyone is interested). A friend of mine lived in King Edward a few years ago and his apartment was amazing, but pretty cheap. I think I'm going to head down to Pittsburgh in a few weeks to check out some places.

hey, just a little warning about the oak hill apartments (like someone warned our class last year) - it looks and sounds great on paper, and you think it's a great location because it's on the same street as Scaife Hall, but it's not actually in the "best part of town." The Hill District isn't as ghetto as some people make it seem, but it's not really the safest place either. i have a friend who lived there last year and had his home broken into a couple of times, in addition to the walls of the house being pretty flimsy.

i mean, we learn about the hill district in our public health-oriented classes ... it's a good place to work and volunteer, but it's not somewhere i'd personally want to live.

vscarlet27 said:
hey, just a little warning about the oak hill apartments (like someone warned our class last year) - it looks and sounds great on paper, and you think it's a great location because it's on the same street as Scaife Hall, but it's not actually in the "best part of town." The Hill District isn't as ghetto as some people make it seem, but it's not really the safest place either. i have a friend who lived there last year and had his home broken into a couple of times, in addition to the walls of the house being pretty flimsy.

i mean, we learn about the hill district in our public health-oriented classes ... it's a good place to work and volunteer, but it's not somewhere i'd personally want to live.

Thanks so much for the advice! Any suggestions for good apartments?

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding to my recent flood of posts....

I just got the email with info about the pre-matriculation program, and it sounds like something that I would really like to do. However, I'm not an underrepresented or nontraditional student, and while they do say that it's open to everyone, it seems like it is mostly intended for these students. Any thoughts on this? Is anyone else who isn't a nontrad considering attending?

what's with this pre-matric program? isn't there a separate orientation in august too?

from what i know, the pre-matriculation program is for urm and non-traditionals, although that might just be what i read on sdn last year. i don't personally know anyone who's done it.

and yes, there will be a separate orientation for y'all in august - right after the white coat ceremony, and before classes start. (the white coat ceremony, by the way, is august 15th.) speaking of which, is there anything particular you are expecting out of orientation week? it's longer than other schools, but we try to give you time to get to know people and gradually move yourself into med school (while learning some important stuff about life in med school) without actually being in class. anyway we're putting together the schedule now, and i'm just curious as to whether anyone has suggestions or desires for what they'd like to see at orientation (We do have most of it planned, i'm just wondering ...)

let me know :) thanks.

I'm taking a year off, and I need someone (preferably female, non-smoker) to sublet my (furnished) 1-bedroom apt at Ruskin from July 2004-May 2005 or so. Let me know ASAP if you're interested.

Hey Everyone--
Just found out.. I am going to be a Panther! Who all's going for sure now?

Hey everybody,
I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to get onto the housing/roommates website that they have up on the student affairs page... I think it is about time for me to start looking for a place, but I'd like to have an idea before i make another trip up there!
Thanks, Eric

surfej said:
Hey everybody,
I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to get onto the housing/roommates website that they have up on the student affairs page... I think it is about time for me to start looking for a place, but I'd like to have an idea before i make another trip up there!
Thanks, Eric
I wouldn't use the housing site on the SA page - it hasn't been updated in a long time (as I recall, it says you can find a place for $250 - Pittsburgh is cheap, but really not THAT cheap)... Use the bulletin board and just ask questions...

Hey everyone! I'm looking for roommates for a GREAT house in the point breeze area. It is on a busline right to school, it is right across the street from the frick museum and park, has an amazing kitchen, and even a jacuzzi bathtub! My boyfriend and I will both be MS1s this fall and are looking for a couple of roommates who dont mind our dog. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you more details and even a picture of the rooms if you want.

bump! any pitt students need a place to live? I have this trully amazing house and still need 2 roommmates. see my above post and pm me or email me at [email protected] come on, somebody must want to use the jaccuzi tub! :laugh:

LOL Sharkfan! :laugh: Darn it! I just got a place in Ruskin! Well, all I can offer is access to luxurious coin-operated laundry facilities!

I almost ended up living in Oak Hill Apts, but thanks to vscarlet's post, I backed out of that situation in a hurry. I mean, I don't have much, but I would like to keep what I have. Multiple robberies are not an appealing thought, and I wasn't willing to take any chances. Thanks again to vscarlet for the information!

Hey Heal and Teach...I'm in Ruskin too!!!!! I move in on the first of July, when will you be there? What kind of place did you get (studio, efficiency)?

Add me to the ruskin crew-- I'm moving into a 1 br on August 13.

hey lilgecko! Yay! That's awesome! I actually got a 1BR b/c from what Property Management told me, they only had some small 1BRs left - so I jumped on whatever I could get (esp. with all utilities included). I figure that Ruskin will be great for first year as a transition, plus we have a nice community of MD & PhD students.

duka, I'm moving in on the 13th as well. We'll probably bump into each other moving stuff in on the elevator. :)

i too will be in ruskin. I got an efficiency...moving in on Aug 6, see you guys then!

i'll be in a ruskin 2br- they seem pretty nice.

anyone know how far the walk is to the med school (scaife, etc where classes will be held?). ruskin seems like a great balance for first year, and relative to other cities, the price seems really cheap.

looking forward to meeting you all;

Hi hapkidochik & someguy!

I think that Ruskin is about a 10-15 minute walk from Scaife, not a long hike at all (except up Cardiac Hill although the hill doesn't seem to be so steep up DeSoto as it is on Meyran). I was there a few weekends ago with another incoming student looking for housing, so we did quite a bit of driving around.

Actually, everything seems to be within 10 minutes of each other - Shadyside was a cool little hang out area.

I'm pretty excited to get started. I'll see you all there! :D

Heal&Teach said:
Hi hapkidochik & someguy!

I think that Ruskin is about a 10-15 minute walk from Scaife, not a long hike at all (except up Cardiac Hill although the hill doesn't seem to be so steep up DeSoto as it is on Meyran). I was there a few weekends ago with another incoming student looking for housing, so we did quite a bit of driving around.

Actually, everything seems to be within 10 minutes of each other - Shadyside was a cool little hang out area.

I'm pretty excited to get started. I'll see you all there! :D

Yup, it is about 10 minutes, 2 minutes if you bike. And you are already halfway up the hill since you don't walk down to 5th from Ruskin...

So, how is biking in Pitt? Living in the California suburbs all my life, I wonder if I should bring my bike to Pitt. What happens to bikes in the snow? And, is there a bike rack somewhere in/by Ruskin?

Hey all!

Would the people who are in Ruskin please tell me about the apts? I am interested in the one-bedroom apts but I noticed on the website that there are different types of one-bedrooms. Only floor plains are shown on the website. Are they all furnished? Are there many spots left? How do I apply to live in Ruskin? I will only be applying in early to mid-July because I am still waiting on some waitlists. Does anyone know if getting out of my contract with Ruskin is possible if I get accepted at one of my schools in late July or early August? I would really appreciate any info. Thanks all! :D

--DrJ2B

Hi DJ,

You need to talk to the Property Management Office about apartments. I know that they were going very quickly when I last checked (one reason that I'm moving in so late). There are three types of one-bedrooms - the smallest one (which is what I have) is $580, the middle one is about $720, and the largest on is over $800. The small one is 300 sq. ft. of living space (doesn't include dimensions of kitchen, bathrooms and closets). I have not seen what the apartment looks like, so I cant tell you much else about it. There was a young lady in this thread subletting her place (chicamedica?), and maybe she can tell you more? Otherwise, best thing to do is contact PM and see whether you'll be able to get a place, and if you can get a refund on your security and first month's rent if you do reneg on the lease. If you decide to apply, they'll send you an electronic copy of the application, review it, tell you what's available, and then send you a draft lease to sign (and you'll also be required to put your money in at that time - they give you about two weeks I think).

Best,
H&T

lilgecko said:
So, how is biking in Pitt? Living in the California suburbs all my life, I wonder if I should bring my bike to Pitt. What happens to bikes in the snow? And, is there a bike rack somewhere in/by Ruskin?

There are plenty of people that bike to/around campus and there's a "pedal Pittsburgh" program each year, I think (I'm not a bike person so I've never paid much attention to when it is). The Ortho dept chair is an avid biker and there are several groups that I've seen at one time or another out riding. Schenley and Frick park are close by and good places to ride. Some buses even feature a bike rack on the front. A classmate in my residency class regularly biked to work from Shadyside.

That being said, Pittsburgh isn't a particularly bike friendly town. There are no defined bike lanes and expect to be honked/cursed at by cranky drivers occasionally who don't know how to share the road (though they're the types that honk and curse at everybody so don't feel bad). It's not great for bikes but not so bad that you'd need to leave your bike at home; you'll have plenty of company to ride with.

A lot of you seem to be living at Ruskin...I'm guessing that's the med school dorm...or just grad school dorm?

Is it decent or better off finding a place on your own?

Hi Fumoffu!

There are a couple of residence halls for graduate students, and Ruskin is one that is for MD and PhD students. I think that many of the apartments were going fast, so you might just want to contact Property Management and see if there's anything available, and ask for a rental application and return it (it's a very easy one-page form) in the event that you decide to go to Pitt. If you have a car, or can at least go to Pittsburgh and rent one, you should spend a weekend looking for housing. I went with someone a couple of weeks ago, and there were many listings, but many through real estate agencies. Unfortunately, they're only open M-F, but some do show places on Saturdays. I was lucky to get this apartment, esp. since I haven't seen it. I almost ended up living in Oak Hill Apartments, but was partially dissuaded by vscarlet's comments and opting to get my own place for the first year. There's plenty of housing around, and if you're patient, you can find yourself a good deal. I guess that most med students live in Shadyside (the trendy area) and Squirrel Hill. Everything is about 10 minutes from campus (with SH being farther and a less expensive).

Anyone looking for housing? I still need a couple of roommates for a really great house on the busline. Contact me if you're interested....

DrJ2B said:
Hey all!

Does anyone know if getting out of my contract with Ruskin is possible if I get accepted at one of my schools in late July or early August? I would really appreciate any info. Thanks all! :D

--DrJ2B

When I spoke with Gregory Calig (Pitt property mgmnt) regarding the Ruskin lease, he mentioned that there were heavy penalties for getting out of it.

lilgecko said:
When I spoke with Gregory Calig (Pitt property mgmnt) regarding the Ruskin lease, he mentioned that there were heavy penalties for getting out of it.

Thanks so much for telling me that. Arghhhh That really sucks. One would think that University apartments would not be so strict.

When I talked to Mr. Calig, he said that the penalties only apply if you end up going to pitt and then don't live in ruskin- - if you go elsewhere there is just a $60 fee for the canceled application (although if you pull out a few weeks in advance, you might be in more trouble, I'm not sure). I think there is a 30- day in adance deadline though for the $60 fee.
DrJ2B said:
Thanks so much for telling me that. Arghhhh That really sucks. One would think that University apartments would not be so strict.

This is a stupid question but which hospital do the UPitt students actually do their rotations? Can they pick? Is it a lottery system?

Anyone going to Pitt still waiting to hear about their financial aid package?

For institutional aid, I think lilgecko got a response back pretty quickly. I only applied for loans, so I was sent an e-mail with lenders and I had to do the footwork on the application.

I found out that they emailed my award info (which was nothing but loans :( ) to my new pitt email address. You might want to check that out to see if they sent you any info.

pyroseq said:
I found out that they emailed my award info (which was nothing but loans :( ) to my new pitt email address. You might want to check that out to see if they sent you any info.
which pitt e-mail-- the medstudent one or the pitt.edu one? thanks!

I believe it was sent to the pitt (not medschool) email account

Hello potential Pitt Med 2008 classmates! :D I finally got up the courage to post here. I'm from the west coast and have no idea what east coast weather is like. What should I expect in terms of Pittsburgh weather?