OFFICIAL: UPitt Class of 2008!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I'm moving into Shadyside on the 31st and will be back and forth between the 'burgh and home until the 15th. Let's definitely try and get together that first weekend, other early movers :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any later movers out there???? Im getting there on the 12th or 13th... so hopefully you'll all save some fun for me! :)

Thread about a July 31st/Aug 1st get-together is now up on the PittMed Introductions forum. Let's see if we can get something together. It should be fun to meet all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
what's this about a beach party? is that the shindig at sandcastle?

Hi Doctor Octopus!

Yup sunflower that's the shindig at the Sandcastle. I guess I'm going to try to hit all the events - why not? :) I'm kinda excited about the rafting... haven't been in a few years. :)

sunflower79 said:
what's this about a beach party? is that the shindig at sandcastle?

Hi Doctor Octopus!

Hello SF79! not sure about Sandcastle, but I'm going rafting come hell or highwater (preferably highwater).

has the orientation schedule been posted somewhere?

Hey there, got a mailing with information yesterday that had the schedule and other information/stuff to be done before school starts. I'm guessing that you should get it soon...

cool- thanks a lot; just expecting everything electronically nowadays

Not that I'm big and buff, but I'm wondering if anyone knows when our gym memberships kick in?

Ragzpie said:
Not that I'm big and buff, but I'm wondering if anyone knows when our gym memberships kick in?

:laugh: Okay, now I'll know who to look for at orientation :D

Actually, I'm curious as to which gym memberships you're talking about? Are you referring to use of the facilities at the Pete? I'd assume that we could go there free as students. Is this not true, or there somewhere else that people go to get buff? :)

You should be able to use all of the gyms as soon as you get your id. At the Peterson Center they actually scan the ID, so that may take a couple more days to get activated.

Members don't see this ad :)
For leases for apartments, for an "Employer/Income source" should we just list "Student - Student loans?"

Thanks.

I'm in the pre-mat program now, so I can take the gym question. You can workout at peterson for free, and you can start as soon as you get your id, which takes about fifteen minutes. Just make sure they activate it for peterson when you get one. The only bummer I just found today is that the gym is closed the first two weeks of school for summer break . . . but whatever, I guess. The older facility at Trees, just up the hill, might still be open, but we'll have to see.

I'm a 12th/13th person too, and I bet we'll be in good company...
uclalee said:
Are there any later movers out there???? Im getting there on the 12th or 13th... so hopefully you'll all save some fun for me! :)

Hey duka.... it's good to know I'll not be the only one moving in so late.... Especially since I opened the most recent package of information from admissions only to find "move in no later than august 8" .... panic! :scared:

Yeah, it does suck to be moving up late... I'll be arriving a few days early to get my ID and other things straightened out (around the 10th or 11th). Actually, did anyone notice the statement that some sort of form was needed in order to get your ID? Anyone know anything about this? :)

Since I'll be driving around for a few days with stuff in my car, honk if you see me in a green machine filled to the brim. :(

Heal&Teach said:
Yeah, it does suck to be moving up late... I'll be arriving a few days early to get my ID and other things straightened out (around the 10th or 11th). Actually, did anyone notice the statement that some sort of form was needed in order to get your ID? Anyone know anything about this? :)

Since I'll be driving around for a few days with stuff in my car, honk if you see me in a green machine filled to the brim. :(
Yeah I saw that also.. Supposedly there will be a third mailing with all that info. Hopefully they'll send it soon, since I imagine a lot of people like myself will be moving soon. Im driving all the way from california.. so hopefully they wont give me too hard of a time if I leave before those special papers arrive :)

uclalee said:
Yeah I saw that also.. Supposedly there will be a third mailing with all that info. Hopefully they'll send it soon, since I imagine a lot of people like myself will be moving soon. Im driving all the way from california.. so hopefully they wont give me too hard of a time if I leave before those special papers arrive :)

Are you having your mail forwarded to PA? Even if you miss the mailing, you can probably go to student affairs and get a copy of everything. Have a safe trip out from Cali and we'll see you in da 'burgh :D

Heal&Teach said:
Are you having your mail forwarded to PA? Even if you miss the mailing, you can probably go to student affairs and get a copy of everything. Have a safe trip out from Cali and we'll see you in da 'burgh :D

Well, Im having it all forwarded to my girlfriend's place. The problem with forwarded to PA is that if mail arrives before I do, I think they just throw it away! :eek: Thanks for the good luck on the trip. I'll surely need it for the 40+ hour drive.... I'm sure I'll end up with plenty of stories to share with y'all.

starting to get real excited for pitt. just got an awesome apt. in N. oakland. can't wait.

Mr. Rosewater said:
starting to get real excited for pitt. just got an awesome apt. in N. oakland. can't wait.

Congrats on the apt Mr. R! I think my excitement will start bubbling over on the beautiful ride up to PA through WV.. right now my excitement is dulled by this overwhelming urge to sleep :laugh: - which I'll do plenty of once I get home. Last day of work is tomorrow, work from home in NC beginning Monday and officially turn everything over next Friday. :D

Heal&Teach said:
Congrats on the apt Mr. R! I think my excitement will start bubbling over on the beautiful ride up to PA through WV.. right now my excitement is dulled by this overwhelming urge to sleep :laugh: - which I'll do plenty of once I get home. Last day of work is tomorrow, work from home in NC beginning Monday and officially turn everything over next Friday. :D
My last day of work is tomorrow also!!!! I'm ready to be done with this 9-5 business!

i'll be heading up late as well- most likely on the 13th or so. do you think we'll have any problems getting id's etc?

I'd doubt it. If you plan to go and get the ID as soon as you get there on the 13th, I don't think you should have any problems. I'm going to try to do as much running around as possible the day I come in. It should all be fine. :)

Anyone else coming to Pitt this weekend? Head over to the pittmed introduction forum and post!!!

Looking forward to meeting all the late arrivals too- have a safe trip out!

i'll be there on the 6th. I'm living in Ruskin. Can't wait to meet all of you!

Hey folks,

Did ya'll see the class and exam schedule? Just checked PItt e-mail yesterday and saw it. :)

yeah, lots of exams; i wonder how the test-every-2wks is gonna go.

I'm heading out to Pittsburgh in the morning! Best of luck to all of you in your moves.

There will be an MS1 get-together in Shadyside Saturday night. Check out the Pitt med forums for info if you want to come. If you're coming later, get in touch when you arrive!

Peace.
Lion

Have a safe trip Lion! :)

And with regard to the exams, the first one is a few days after my birthday. Guess there won't be too much (if any) partying that weekend... :oops:

URGENT!

I was wondering which lender you all used for the Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Why that particular lender? I have not even selected a lender yet and signed the forms and need to do so soon.

Does anyone know when the first bill is due?

Thanks!

Fumoffu said:
URGENT!

I was wondering which lender you all used for the Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Why that particular lender? I have not even selected a lender yet and signed the forms and need to do so soon.

Thanks!
They are more or less the same but I went with AAMC/medloans at the financial aid office's advice because their service is better should you have any problems. I think their interest is a little higher but that's the trade off (though not by much).

I think first bill is due 8/15, don't quote me. Just call the office and ask. :)

Fumoffu said:

I got an e-mail from financial aid today that said that the first bill is due on the 17th of September.

hey, where are you guys getting these emails? is it at the my.pitt.edu acct? b/c i didn't get anything about the schedule there.

Mr. Rosewater said:
hey, where are you guys getting these emails? is it at the my.pitt.edu acct? b/c i didn't get anything about the schedule there.

i got it through my medstudent.pitt account.

man, i haven't received ANY of the orientation mailings yet. i feel like i have no clue what's going on.

It's so nice to see lots people are going to Pitt.

I will probably see you guys soon either at the orientation or throughout the school year.

Mr. Rosewater said:

Mr. R, check your PM. :)

Abd raincrew, have you called Student Affairs? When I checked the bulletin board on the med student site, it said that the orientation mailings were sent out later this year. I got mine about two weeks ago.

Hi everyone,

I am currently holding a lease for a 2 bedroom in Ruskin (incoming male ms-1). My roommate has actually decided to most likely live somewhere else (living with a good friend of his who just got of the waitlist).

thus, i'm looking for another guy to possibly take his place.

not really looking for any specific traits, but just would like a roommate who's chill and respectful of the space and things in general.

pm me if you think you might be interested.

Anyone else having trouble logging into your medstudent.pitt.edu account? Mine isn't working for some reason, but everything else that I would need my password for is... so maybe the server is just down or something? :confused:

Hi,
Does anyone know what to put in the the health insurance enrollment page?
It's asking for Name of PCP/Practice and practice number

Thanks

You can click on the "Name of PCP" and it goes to a physician directory. I just used the doctor who is on the faculty and actually interviewed me. You can look through and just find someone in family practice or use your own family practicioner if they are in the area and they accept UPMC Insurance.

What lender did you guys choose?

We're having another small MS1 gathering tonight (Saturday the 7th). Please join us if you are in town. Again, info is on the PittMed bulletin boards.

Hey everyone! Well, speaking mostly to the girls I guess... what will you be wearing to the white coat ceremony? The info about it says professional... no jeans or shorts or anything like that... so, are you going to wear a suit? A dress? Is a summery type of dress too casual?

ashkel said:
Hey everyone! Well, speaking mostly to the girls I guess... what will you be wearing to the white coat ceremony? The info about it says professional... no jeans or shorts or anything like that... so, are you going to wear a suit? A dress? Is a summery type of dress too casual?

hey,

last year most girls wore summer dresses/skirts and guys wore nice shirts and ties, but not too many wore full suits ...

get excited!