Official US News 2005 Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here are the first 10...I'm only going to rank the rest (no scores or anything...I have class tomorrow...)

Key: overall score...peer assessment...residency director score...

1. Harvard: 100...4.8...4.7
2. Washington U: 96...4.6...4.5
3. Johns Hopkins: 95...4.8...4.7
4. Duke: 93...4.6...4.5
Penn: 93...4.6...4.3
6. UCSF: 92...4.7...4.4
7. U of M: 91...4.4...4.5
8. Columbia: 89...4.3...4.2
Stanford: 89...4.5...4.4
10. U of washington: 87...4.4...4.2
Yale: 87...4.3...4.2

Members don't see this ad.

12. Cornell
13. Baylor
14. UCLA
15. Pitt
Vanderbilt
17. UCSD
U Texas Southwestern MC--Dallas
19. Emory
20. Northwestern
UNC--Chapel Hill
22. Mayo
U Chicago
24. Case
25. UAB
UVA
U Wisconsin--Madison
28. Mount Sinai
U Iowa
30. New York U

To be continued...(for some reason, it logs me off if I'm writing a particular post for too long...)

Members don't see this ad :)
31. U Colorado
32. Rochester
USC
34. Dartmouth
Oregon
U Minnesota
37. Yeshiva
38. Ohio State
39. Indiana
40. Tufts
U Florida
Wake
43. Boston U
Brown
Georgetown
Cincinnati
Maryland
48. Utah
49. UC-Davis
50. Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
U Miami

WOW thANKS
you've got to post the case rep scores man. its our school!

You da man! :clap:

do they go through 69?

Case Rep Scores:

76...3.7...3.8...27 in selectivity...8.3% acceptance rate $246.7 mil NIH

A few things I'm shocked about:
Congrats to UCD for getting on the rankings
NYU dropping tons over the last couple of years. They were high 20's.
U of C going down from 14 before to 22 now.

And on a totally biased angle, my school went from 43 3 years ago to a 32 this year.

im suprised at how much mayo, einstein and pritzker dropped. it'll be interesting to see their retooled formula when i get my hands on this thing.

Wasn't Pritzker just 21 last year? That's not too big of a drop...

If it isn't too much trouble, can you post peer and residency directors scores for Pitt, BU and Tufts?
Thanks.

Once again... GO PITT!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Peer...Residency Director

Pitt....3.9...4.0
BU...3.3...3.4
Tufts...3.3...3.6

Originally posted by quideam

I agree, Pittsburgh rocks.

Also, SoulRFLare rocks, thanks for posting.

Thanks again!

Thanks a lot. Really apprecaite it.

If it isn't too much trouble, can you post peer and residency directors scores for University of Cinncinnati? :)

Could you throw in NU's and Ohio State's while you're at it? :D

Cinci
Peer...3.1
residency directors...3.3

Originally posted by quideam

I'm not extremely rankings-conscious, but I have to admit that Pitt as a top 15 school is absolutely incredible, anyone have any idea why their ranking went up from being 18 last year? Was it more research funding?

MSSM rebounds a spot instead of dropping further after last year's plummet, flip-flopping with NYU (take that for the waitlist!) :smuggrin: Pitt's rising like a rocket over the last few years. :thumbup: Pritzker needed to rebound. :thumbdown:

Hopkins getting the boot from number 2 *double-take* after having never been lower than WashU. Hopkins still has the best peer/residency scores in the country, though. It shows how much research money plays a factor in the rankings.

Originally posted by SachinG
I'm not extremely rankings-conscious, but I have to admit that Pitt as a top 15 school is absolutely incredible, anyone have any idea why their ranking went up from being 18 last year? Was it more research funding?

Residency/peer scores went up from 3.8/3.8 to 3.9/4.0. And their research funding has been through the roof.

Originally posted by TheFlash
Residency/peer scores went up from 3.8/3.8 to to 3.9/4.0. And their research funding has been through the roof.

Too bad their football team can't HANG with the hoos!

GO UVA

I think these ranking are self-sustaining. For instance, suppose the editorial board at US NEWS conspired to tinker with the methodology so that each year Wash U. maintained the #2 spot above Hopkins. Just how many years would you guess it would take for Hopkins reputation rank to fall in line below Wash U's as well?

These ranking are no longer a "window" onto the respective positions of these schools, but rather a "player" (perhaps the most important player) in defining those positions in the first place.

My school maintained (which is the best I could have hoped for, I guess), but if the medical schools REALLY were serious about their desire that these rankings not be taken as seriously as they do, they would begin to refuse returning the data entry forms.

Judd

Does Case's NIH research money include the CCLCM money this year, or is that still to be added?

Judd

i completely agree w/ juddson. case in point: upenn for undergrad. their us news rankings has skyrocketed to its current #5 in the past 10 years or so and in turn, its acceptance rate has gone down from 40-50% or so in the early 90's to the high teens now. traditionally, it was seen as the "back-up" ivy but my impression is that at least now, it is one of the most desirable schools in the country to get into. it is and always has been an incredible school but it goes to show what rankings can do for reputation.

who gives a rats ass about these silly rankings anyway????

I'm mean, really? Who cares if school X gained a spot or lost a spot?

My only guess is it's some form of self-validation to all the premeds who are holding a couple of acceptances and can now choose the highest "ranked" school so they can claim their penis is longer than their neighbors' since their school is ranked #9 and joe blow is going to a school ranked #11?

Just seems a little silly for allof these people to have such a ridiculous amount of interest in these "rankings."

I agree that the actual rankings are more than a bit silly. It's the peer/residency director scores and research money that I actually pay attention to.

Hey, did someone pay for membership at USNEWS? (membership allows viewers to see more rankings) My school was in the 60s a few years ago.. just curious as to if they moved up or down. Thanks!

I agree that the actual rankings are more than a bit silly. It's the peer/residency director scores and research money that I actually pay attention to.

ditto.

Nice......I knew I dropped $200k to be here for a reason......

Fortunately, the accessment scores stay relatively constant over years.

Originally posted by Jalby
A few things I'm shocked about:
Congrats to UCD for getting on the rankings
NYU dropping tons over the last couple of years. They were high 20's.
U of C going down from 14 before to 22 now.

And on a totally biased angle, my school went from 43 3 years ago to a 32 this year.

yup, i noticed usc has gone up this year! :clap:

Hey! Why did BU drop? Not like I am considering anything to do with research in my future, but I'm still a little disappointed :(

Also, where are Loma Linda and UCI on the list? Too far down, I suppose?

Poor Vandy, 5 more years left and now they have 5 more spots to climb! heh.

Originally posted by tautomer
Poor Vandy, 5 more years left and now they have 5 more spots to climb! heh.

I don't think it's gonna happen...;)

Friggin' Vandy...why is that school so obsessed with Ivy League grads and their equivalents? I suspect that the reason has to do with the US News rankings. It's ridiculous, man. If you take a look at how many students at Vandy have graduated from Ivy League institutions or their equivalents (e.g., WashU), you'll notice that these students occupy the lion's share of spots in each class. They haven't accepted a single student from my university in YEARS, even though I attended a very good public school. So much for diversity in the Vandy class.

does vandy have some "top ten by 2010" pep rally going on?

how did people know that they came out that day anyways? i can't find it on the usnews sight

wah uni of cincy goes up from 47 to 43 ?!!!!

So what was the ranking for P&S?

UNC?

Originally posted by moops
how did people know that they came out that day anyways? i can't find it on the usnews sight

I bought the magazine yesterday. the site won't post it until friday i think

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
I bought the magazine yesterday. the site won't post it until friday i think

Where did you buy the magazine from? I just was just at the bookstore today and didn't see the magazine there.

Originally posted by elias514
Friggin' Vandy...why is that school so obsessed with Ivy League grads and their equivalents? I suspect that the reason has to do with the US News rankings. It's ridiculous, man. If you take a look at how many students at Vandy have graduated from Ivy League institutions or their equivalents (e.g., WashU), you'll notice that these students occupy the lion's share of spots in each class. They haven't accepted a single student from my university in YEARS, even though I attended a very good public school. So much for diversity in the Vandy class.

You sound bitter, are you really upset to be going to UMich over Vandy?

IMO, schools in Vandy's category are all ivy heavy. I actually thought vandy was less ivy heavy cause of it's location. Some schools on the other hand....

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Hey! Why did BU drop? Not like I am considering anything to do with research in my future, but I'm still a little disappointed :(

Also, where are Loma Linda and UCI on the list? Too far down, I suppose?

UCI is somewhere between 50-60 usually I believe. Loma Linda? Don't bet on it.