Official US News 2005 Rankings

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Ohio
    here are the first 10...I'm only going to rank the rest (no scores or anything...I have class tomorrow...)

Key: overall score...peer assessment...residency director score...

1. Harvard: 100...4.8...4.7
    2. Washington U: 96...4.6...4.5
    3. Johns Hopkins: 95...4.8...4.7
    4. Duke: 93...4.6...4.5
    Penn: 93...4.6...4.3
    6. UCSF: 92...4.7...4.4
    7. U of M: 91...4.4...4.5
    8. Columbia: 89...4.3...4.2
    Stanford: 89...4.5...4.4
    10. U of washington: 87...4.4...4.2
    Yale: 87...4.3...4.2

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 20, 2003
    Ohio
      12. Cornell
      13. Baylor
      14. UCLA
      15. Pitt
      Vanderbilt
      17. UCSD
      U Texas Southwestern MC--Dallas
      19. Emory
      20. Northwestern
      UNC--Chapel Hill
      22. Mayo
      U Chicago
      24. Case
      25. UAB
      UVA
      U Wisconsin--Madison
      28. Mount Sinai
      U Iowa
      30. New York U

To be continued...(for some reason, it logs me off if I'm writing a particular post for too long...)

About the Ads

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Oct 20, 2003
      Ohio
        31. U Colorado
        32. Rochester
        USC
        34. Dartmouth
        Oregon
        U Minnesota
        37. Yeshiva
        38. Ohio State
        39. Indiana
        40. Tufts
        U Florida
        Wake
        43. Boston U
        Brown
        Georgetown
        Cincinnati
        Maryland
        48. Utah
        49. UC-Davis
        50. Jefferson
        Medical College Wisconsin
        U Miami

About the Ads

TheFlash

Playtime Is Over
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 20, 2003
        The City of Blinding Lights
          MSSM rebounds a spot instead of dropping further after last year's plummet, flip-flopping with NYU (take that for the waitlist!) :smuggrin: Pitt's rising like a rocket over the last few years. :thumbup: Pritzker needed to rebound. :thumbdown:

Hopkins getting the boot from number 2 *double-take* after having never been lower than WashU. Hopkins still has the best peer/residency scores in the country, though. It shows how much research money plays a factor in the rankings.

About the Ads

TheFlash

Playtime Is Over
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 20, 2003
          The City of Blinding Lights
            Originally posted by SachinG
            I'm not extremely rankings-conscious, but I have to admit that Pitt as a top 15 school is absolutely incredible, anyone have any idea why their ranking went up from being 18 last year? Was it more research funding?

Residency/peer scores went up from 3.8/3.8 to 3.9/4.0. And their research funding has been through the roof.

juddson

3K Member
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Aug 21, 2002
              I think these ranking are self-sustaining. For instance, suppose the editorial board at US NEWS conspired to tinker with the methodology so that each year Wash U. maintained the #2 spot above Hopkins. Just how many years would you guess it would take for Hopkins reputation rank to fall in line below Wash U's as well?

These ranking are no longer a "window" onto the respective positions of these schools, but rather a "player" (perhaps the most important player) in defining those positions in the first place.

My school maintained (which is the best I could have hoped for, I guess), but if the medical schools REALLY were serious about their desire that these rankings not be taken as seriously as they do, they would begin to refuse returning the data entry forms.

Judd

raincrew

15+ Year Member
              Nov 18, 2002
                i completely agree w/ juddson. case in point: upenn for undergrad. their us news rankings has skyrocketed to its current #5 in the past 10 years or so and in turn, its acceptance rate has gone down from 40-50% or so in the early 90's to the high teens now. traditionally, it was seen as the "back-up" ivy but my impression is that at least now, it is one of the most desirable schools in the country to get into. it is and always has been an incredible school but it goes to show what rankings can do for reputation.

babinski bob

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                May 23, 2003
                  who gives a rats ass about these silly rankings anyway????

I'm mean, really? Who cares if school X gained a spot or lost a spot?

My only guess is it's some form of self-validation to all the premeds who are holding a couple of acceptances and can now choose the highest "ranked" school so they can claim their penis is longer than their neighbors' since their school is ranked #9 and joe blow is going to a school ranked #11?

Just seems a little silly for allof these people to have such a ridiculous amount of interest in these "rankings."

About the Ads

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Dec 14, 2003
                    Originally posted by TheFlash
                    I agree that the actual rankings are more than a bit silly. It's the peer/residency director scores and research money that I actually pay attention to.

Fortunately, the accessment scores stay relatively constant over years.

docmemi

1K Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Jul 21, 2003
                    Los Angeles, Calif.
                      Originally posted by Jalby
                      A few things I'm shocked about:
                      Congrats to UCD for getting on the rankings
                      NYU dropping tons over the last couple of years. They were high 20's.
                      U of C going down from 14 before to 22 now.

And on a totally biased angle, my school went from 43 3 years ago to a 32 this year.

yup, i noticed usc has gone up this year! :clap:

elias514

10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Oct 20, 2003
                        Friggin' Vandy...why is that school so obsessed with Ivy League grads and their equivalents? I suspect that the reason has to do with the US News rankings. It's ridiculous, man. If you take a look at how many students at Vandy have graduated from Ivy League institutions or their equivalents (e.g., WashU), you'll notice that these students occupy the lion's share of spots in each class. They haven't accepted a single student from my university in YEARS, even though I attended a very good public school. So much for diversity in the Vandy class.

pekq

Gunner
                        7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Jan 26, 2004
                        NJ
                          Originally posted by elias514
                          Friggin' Vandy...why is that school so obsessed with Ivy League grads and their equivalents? I suspect that the reason has to do with the US News rankings. It's ridiculous, man. If you take a look at how many students at Vandy have graduated from Ivy League institutions or their equivalents (e.g., WashU), you'll notice that these students occupy the lion's share of spots in each class. They haven't accepted a single student from my university in YEARS, even though I attended a very good public school. So much for diversity in the Vandy class.

You sound bitter, are you really upset to be going to UMich over Vandy?

IMO, schools in Vandy's category are all ivy heavy. I actually thought vandy was less ivy heavy cause of it's location. Some schools on the other hand....

E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
                            Hey! Why did BU drop? Not like I am considering anything to do with research in my future, but I'm still a little disappointed :(

Also, where are Loma Linda and UCI on the list? Too far down, I suppose?

UCI is somewhere between 50-60 usually I believe. Loma Linda? Don't bet on it.

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.