Official US News 2005 Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Eraserhead
Loma Linda? Don't bet on it.

:laugh: Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by elias514
Friggin' Vandy...why is that school so obsessed with Ivy League grads and their equivalents? I suspect that the reason has to do with the US News rankings. It's ridiculous, man. If you take a look at how many students at Vandy have graduated from Ivy League institutions or their equivalents (e.g., WashU), you'll notice that these students occupy the lion's share of spots in each class. They haven't accepted a single student from my university in YEARS, even though I attended a very good public school. So much for diversity in the Vandy class.

% Ivy League Undergrads is not a factor in US News, so I fail to see how that can be an impetus for Vanderbilt's class composition.

And you can seriously make that charge for just about any top 10 medical school out there. Michigan is an interesting case, because so many seats are occupied by undergrads from there, it increases the perception of public school admits. Vanderbilt too accepts lots of its undergrads, but since it is private, it is going to bias those statistics. But in both cases, and for all medical schools, a good number of students comes from the undergrad.

So I really fail to see how Vanderbilt is unique on this at all, since they get no advantage for having more Ivy Leaguers in their class persay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt, from what i've seen at least, isn't that ivy heavy... i would say that about half of the people i met during my interview were from state schools (albeit some very good ones).

Originally posted by quideam
Pitt, from what i've seen at least, isn't that ivy heavy... i would say that about half of the people i met during my interview were from state schools (albeit some very good ones).

This might be a dumb question, but I'm kinda dumb sometimes. Can someone list what schools are considered Ivy League? It always confuses me. I mean is Vandy included? Emory? Duke? Stanford?

Originally posted by Eraserhead
This might be a dumb question, but I'm kinda dumb sometimes. Can someone list what schools are considered Ivy League? It always confuses me. I mean is Vandy included? Emory? Duke? Stanford?

If you're in the Ivy League NCAA Sports League, then you're a "Ivy". I guess that makes Duke an "ACC"

In response to pekQ's post, I'm not bitter about Vandy, I just think that it's a bit strange that Vandy does not accept students from my school and other public institutions of similar academic caliber. It's as if we're blacklisted there. At any rate, I'm very happy with my acceptance to Michigan and can barely wait to get started there. U Mich is a truly awesome medical school--my first choice--and a great fit for my personality, career aspirations, and preferences. So I can't complain...I know I'll be really happy in Ann Arbor.

Something else that puzzles me: why are Ann Arborites so infatuated with sandwiches? I've never seen so many friggin sandwich shoppes in one place.

Originally posted by exmike
If you're in the Ivy League NCAA Sports League, then you're a "Ivy". I guess that makes Duke an "ACC"

Hmmm that means nothing to me.

From what I understand, the Ivy's are a bunch of schools on the east coast that have been part of this 'group' for a long time. The ones I can think of are Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Dartmouth (?), Yale.... there are definetely a few more, but I can't think of them right now.

There are also a bunch of private schools that are considered prestigious - Hopkins, U Chicago, etc., but they're not part of the "Ivy club".

That's it for my knowledge of these matters - i'm a lowly public school grad! Ironically, I'm ending up at the same interviews as ivy/private school grads - but with no loans!!!!!!! Muahahaha!!!! :D :D :D

Ha ha the two ranked schools that waitlisted me dropped! mwuhhahahah!

Coincidence? I think not!!! :smuggrin:

(although the school that took me isn't even on the list it's ranked so low! Ha ha! )

Originally posted by quideam
From what I understand, the Ivy's are a bunch of schools on the east coast that have been part of this 'group' for a long time. The ones I can think of are Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Dartmouth (?), Yale.... there are definetely a few more, but I can't think of them right now.

There are also a bunch of private schools that are considered prestigious - Hopkins, U Chicago, etc., but they're not part of the "Ivy club".

That's it for my knowledge of these matters - i'm a lowly public school grad! Ironically, I'm ending up at the same interviews as ivy/private school grads - but with no loans!!!!!!! Muahahaha!!!! :D :D :D

Ditto, to some extent. This whole Ivy League thing is just bull****, and I'm surprised to learn that it has something to do with sports.

consists of:
princeton, harvard, brown, penn, dartmouth, columbia, cornell, yale

Actually the Ivy League schools had to form their own league b/c their nerdy students were getting their asses kicked in other D1 conferences. :laugh:

jk

Members don't see this ad :)
really surprised by the Mayo drop... but Minn and USC went up a couple or more spots! As for NYU and BU dropping on the list, they deserve it~ :)

jk

Anyone know how Rochester faired? Also, are these rankings for primary care, or research? If I remember correctly from last years publication, there were 2 separate lists.

this would be the research ranking. the one that most people pay attention to.... and rochester is 32nd dropping a spot from 31st last year.

Originally posted by ZekeMD
Anyone know how Rochester faired? Also, are these rankings for primary care, or research? If I remember correctly from last years publication, there were 2 separate lists.

i would hope that they're the research scores, considering:
A. They're very similar to last years research scores and
B. anyone could do primary care from anywhere so that list is kinda stupid.

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
i would hope that they're the research scores, considering:
A. They're very similar to last years research scores and
B. anyone could do primary care from anywhere so that list is kinda stupid.

I don't think the primary care list is stupid. I always viewed that as a gauge of the amount and quality of clinical experience each school offers. Maybe that's not how the list is put together, now that I think about it in retrospect.

no, they do have two separate lists, one primary one research....and i dont' see why having a primary one is stupid...you can do research anywehre too....and i for one am not interested in research, so i'd be more interested in the primary care rankings if i cared about rankings in the first place.....

Originally posted by camstah
no, they do have two separate lists, one primary one research....and i dont' see why having a primary one is stupid...you can do research anywehre too....and i for one am not interested in research, so i'd be more interested in the primary care rankings if i cared about rankings in the first place.....

Well said :clap:

Rankings are dumb

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Ha ha the two ranked schools that waitlisted me dropped! mwuhhahahah!

Coincidence? I think not!!! :smuggrin:

HAHA Brickhouse, thanks for making me spit water at my computer again :laugh:

Originally posted by camstah

exactly. :thumbup:

obviously if i wanted to do a peds residency at CHOP it would be good if i came from a strong primary care school.

does anyone know if UCSD is still 6 on the primary care rankings??

Originally posted by ZekeMD

rochester was 13th in primary care

can someone please give me the rankings for mayo

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
rochester was 13th in primary care

Awesome! Since I'm going into Peds, that's useful info for me :p

eraserhead--
UCSD is 7th in primary care

500--
mayo's numbers
77 overall
3.7 peer
3.9 residency director

How did UMass do in the primary care rankings? Sorry you've been bombarded with all these questions SoulRFlare, but then again, you brought this on yourself by posting the list in the first place.

Originally posted by exmike

The Ivy League is the pansiest sports conference in the country in the major sports, and that's including most of the mid-majors. Meanwhile, the ACC pwns everyone (ok, ok... football will be back on target next year with addition of Miami and VT). :smuggrin:

Originally posted by TheFlash
The Ivy League is the pansiest sports conference in the country in the major sports, and that's including most of the mid-majors. Meanwhile, the ACC pwns everyone (ok, ok... football will be back on target next year with addition of Miami and VT). :smuggrin:

That includes the pwning of Pitt at the Continental Tire Bowl this last season. Fitzgerald was kept out of the promised land and Rutherford was sacked >4 times.

CCW

Originally posted by elias514
Friggin' Vandy...why is that school so obsessed with Ivy League grads and their equivalents? I suspect that the reason has to do with the US News rankings. It's ridiculous, man. If you take a look at how many students at Vandy have graduated from Ivy League institutions or their equivalents (e.g., WashU), you'll notice that these students occupy the lion's share of spots in each class. They haven't accepted a single student from my university in YEARS, even though I attended a very good public school. So much for diversity in the Vandy class.

I'm not sure which Public school you went to, but Vandy seems to accept a decent amount of people from Berkeley and UCLA. I know of a couple people from my school (UCLA) that were accepted this year or in previous years.

Originally posted by umass rower
How did UMass do in the primary care rankings? Sorry you've been bombarded with all these questions SoulRFlare, but then again, you brought this on yourself by posting the list in the first place.

umass--worcester: primary care scores
#3 primary care
79 overall
3.4 peer
3.5 residency directors

What???!!! NYU dropped below MSSM by one rank? I guess I'll withdraw from NYU and go to MSSM now.

Originally posted by pekq
What???!!! NYU dropped below MSSM by one rank? I guess I'll withdraw from NYU and go to MSSM now.

:laugh: wait... you are kidding, right?

could someone post ALL the rankings ie: from number 1-126, I want to see other schools too not just the top 50.

Thanks in advance

the magazine only goes up to 50...you'll have to wait until the online edition comes out on friday

Originally posted by ocean11
could someone post ALL the rankings ie: from number 1-126, I want to see other schools too not just the top 50.

Thanks in advance

GO TO THE WEBSITE AND CHECK IT OUT! The top 50 are free, you just don't see the breakdown.

I believe only about 70 schools participate in the ranking. The rest of the schools won't show up even on the online ranking edition b/c they refuse to submit data.

Some of these schools include the SUNY's, Loma Linda, Drexel, Finch (recently renamed to something else), etc.

It pretty pathetic that these silly rankings have generated 90+ posts....

SoulRFlare,

if it's not too much trouble, can you post the peer assessment & residency director scores for U Chicago? Thank you!

These rankings are the core of why all or most of us are here. We're on SDN because we want to get into the "best" medical school that we can, and how else do we determine that?

Plus, the notion of something objectively determining is really attractive. It's comforting to think that there is something objectively better about one school rather than another and USNews fills that otherwise empty void nicely.

anyone have a link?

Can anyone tell me where UNebraska was on the list?

Originally posted by babinski bob
It pretty pathetic that these silly rankings have generated 90+ posts....

look who's talking....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Dr. Chiquita
SoulRFlare,

if it's not too much trouble, can you post the peer assessment & residency director scores for U Chicago? Thank you!

Chicago
77 overall
4.1 peer
4.0 residency director

Originally posted by trudub
Can anyone tell me where UNebraska was on the list?

#20 in primary care
63 overall score
3.0 peer
3.4 residency director

Originally posted by CalBeE
I believe only about 70 schools participate in the ranking. The rest of the schools won't show up even on the online ranking edition b/c they refuse to submit data.

Some of these schools include the SUNY's, Loma Linda, Drexel, Finch (recently renamed to something else), etc.

I personally believe this is BS. I'm betting only schools that wouldn't make the top 50 "Don't participate." There isn't really any data that they need to give to USNews that they can't look up themselves.

UNebraska crack the research rankings this time? I think it was like 62 last time or something.