Official UTMB class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh yea....I haven't even gone up to look for apartments...I am so lazy this semester:rolleyes:

And as far as senioritis goes, I have the worst case of it. Thankfully, I think I have sorta allocated (i guess you could say) all my motivation for school toward working out and I love it :D but as far as school goes I haven't done crap.....I guess I will be lining up C's this semester!!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,
i will be attending the prematriculation program this summer, and i will be staying in one of the fraternity houses on campus. does anyone know ( esp. any current students) which one would be the nicest to live in or which one to avoid? thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So I checked out the apartments this past weekend near UTMB. One piece of advice: the leasing offices of these apartments close early (like 3 pm early) or some aren't open on Saturdays! That day is prime apartment-locating days for most people, wouldn't you think? The ones that I saw that were near campus included Casa Caribe, Carlton Courtyard, Tradewinds, Villa Marina, and the UTMB ferry road apartments. The only apartment that I actually looked into was the Casa Caribe. IT's a pretty cheap apartment complex, and you get a lot of space for the money. However, it does look like either a prison or military barracks. In other words, it kinda looks crappy from the outside. I think that it's the only apartment complex that doesn't require a $30+ app fee while the others that I came by do.

After going down there again, I can honestly say that I like the town. It's near the beach (though not the greatest with oil rigs in the background!), and the town does have some historical character to it. Most of us won't ever get a chance to live near the beach and will be stuck within some urban dwelling with nothing but concrete and fake natural scenery all around us later in life. We'll all have an awesome time there...studying...hanging out....drinking Mai Tais at the beach!

Also, since I've been wondering who my classmates were gonna be, I called up Martin Crichlow to see if they'd release the names. He told me that even though they posted the names last year on the UTMB website, they wouldn't do so this year due to "excessive" solicitation of the students on the list last year. So, I dunno when we're all gonna see some names.

Does anyone agree (on this Friday morning) that UTMB is going to be totally fun, awesome, radical and/or totally fun and radical? Is it wrong to assume that medical students are smart and awesome at thinking about words in books? Is it totally awesome and silly to assume that this fall term is going to TOTALLY ROCK?!! Rock and roll is an awesome form of music to listen to, as well as being cool and awesome to rock out with while being awesome and cool.

The little apartment just down the street from UTMB (5 min walk) will not be available until August. It's only $540/mo (water included), comes with a washer and dryer, a deck/porch, and can be used as a 2bd (However, it's best for 1 person). If you are still interested, pm about setting up a day to look at it.

bump................

Congratulations to all of you!
I am a faculty member at UTMB and I have a really cute apartment for rent. It is about 2 miles from campus, 10 minute walk to the beach or The Strand and around the corner from Sonnys (The best part! :clap: ). It is a one bedroom apartment with a secure separate entrance. No hairy pets please (fish are OK).
If you would be interested pm me to set up a time to see it. I can e-mail you some pictures.

Hey guys,

I thought to stop by and catch up with yall. Well, here are some updates:

I, like barca, emailed in regards to the list of incoming MS1 students....well this is her verbatim response to my question of if they will put anything up online? "I am sorry but we no longer post a list of the incoming students for security purposes." ...So I guess we won't be finding out till orientation.

And I guess by now most of us should have received the packet with the apartment listing/immunization record requests/etc...

Also I have been looking at a privately owned complex at the junciton of 11th and market....I would greatly appreciate any input from current MSs or any of my future classmates who have already visited the area......How safe of an area is it? How is the complex or the general "look" of the area!! Unfortunately I dont have much info on the complex....I just heard about it through a friend and before visiting I just wanted some opinions.

I also wanted to notify you guys of the same thread (a UTMB thread) on allopathic forum...so head on over there and check updates over at that forum as well.

well, I guess that is it for now. I look forward to seeing you guys. hang in there......I myself, am particularly struggling with my lack of motivation in school!!!!! I friggin can't even bear to look at a textbook for more than 20 minutes..!! I can't wait for the summer.! urg.. :smuggrin: :rolleyes:

I got a letter today from UTMB and it says I'm deficient in ALL of the prerequisites. But I am clearly not. I have already sent them a transcript too. I just emailed the lady about it, but did anyone else have a problem like this?

not yet...i'm getting scared. i'm calling enrollment services.

Members don't see this ad :)
cherry10101 said:
does anyone know when the deposit is due??

What? There's a deposit??

Also, for the financial aid stuff, do we just have to fill out entrance interview and Master Promisary Note (for first-time users, if we are only getting Federal Direct loans)?

Yeah I dont know anything about a deposit either. Has anyone gotten any information about that? I never heard anything. I got that letter about not having my prereqs also, and it ended up being a mistake, they just hadnt entered my classes into the system.

On the other hand, is everyone excited to get done with school???? I am I only have 9 days until graduation and my exams are almos over!!

I still have 3.5 weeks left till graduation but I'm looking forward to it. Moving down to Galveston in early July!

i will be getting my apt. in galveston in july too!

As a native Galvestonian, I thought I?d post a list of my favorite restaurants. Here it is.

Mexican

El Jardin ? This is, in my opinion, the best Mexican restaurant on the island. Their lunch is really good, but their breakfasts are truly excellent. Try the surprise burritos or the huevos rancheros. They have wonderful homemade tortillas, and great menudo if you?re into that kind of thing. 24th and Market. Closes at 3 PM and closed all day Sunday.

La Estacion - I go here primarily on Sunday, when El Jardin is closed. They have similar menus, but La Estacion seems to have a more extensive non-breakfast menu. Surprise burritos are good here, as well as just about everything else. 25th and I think Church. 6 am ? 3pm 7 days.

Super Mercado Hispanos ? This place is actually a convenience store/Mexican market that has a food counter in the back. The tables are situated in the middle of the restaurant, and they have great tacos, burritos, tortas, and Mexican plates. The portions are huge and cheap. It is often necessary to speak Spanish here (or point to what you want on the menu board.) around 35th and Broadway

Taqueria Juarez ? A great place for breakfast or lunch. Close to UTMB. I have only had a few items here, but their breakfast burritos and breakfast plates are as good as any I?ve had. Around 14th and Strand.

Cavazos Taqueria ? I ate here almost every day when I first started working at UTMB. They have good everything. Tortas and Gorditas are some of my favorites here. A couple of times a week, they set up a small buffet. 6-2 M-Saturday. 9th between Market and Postoffice

Apache ? One of a small number of small, family-owned Mexican restaurants that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (most close in the early afternoon). They have good tamales, enchiladas and specialty dishes. 7AM-8:30 PM 19th between Church and Postoffice

El Gusto ? This place is also open at night, and they have a lot of good, authentic food. Try the tortas with barbacoa, lengua (tongue), or milanesa. They always have menudo, caldos, and seafood entrees along with the standard Mexican fare. Around 37th and Broadway

Santiago?s ? Santiago?s is open for lunch and dinner, and they have good standard Mexican food. Their fried shrimp and grilled fish are wonderful. 53rd and Broadway. Closed Sundays.

Gorditas ? This place is relatively new, but they have developed quite a devoted following since its opening. Their food is not Tex-Mex, however. It is authentically Mexican, with some distinctly Interior dishes. Their soups are really good, as are their tortas. around 7th and Seawall.

Maya?s - On Sundays, go get a pound of barbacoa, fresh salsa, and a dozen fresh tortillas from Maya?s, and take it home and enjoy. It?s on the corner of 18th and Ave L.

El Nopalito ? There are two of these in Galveston, but I really prefer the one on 43rd and somewhere north of Broadway. It?s actually surrounded by Sec. 8 housing, but their food is really good for breakfast and lunch.

Burgers, Sandwiches, etc...

Sonny?s - This place is touted as a medical student hangout, but on any given night there are plenty of non-medical student there too. They have great burgers, po-boys, gumbo, and spaghetti. Also, try the Artery Clogger Sandwich. Closed Sundays and Mondays and often for an entire month during the summer and Christmas time. 19th and around Ave. L

McDonald?s ? One of the island?s best-kept secrets. Very quick and the food is usually hot and made to order. Try the ?Big Mac? (a double-decker burger with thousand island dressing), or the Royale With Cheese (a quarter pound burger with ketchup, pickles and onions). A Galveston original. A drive-through window is available too. 7 days 7am-10pm. 61st and Seawall, 53rd and Broadway, 4th and Seawall. Just kidding.

Yaga?s ? This place is a popular bar at night, but they have good food during the day. The burgers and salads are all good, and on a nice day, you can sit outside on the patio. 23rd and Strand

The Spot ? This is a fun place to get a burger. It?s akin to Fuddrucker?s in that you dress your own burger from a toppings bar. They also have good po-boys and salads. Plenty of deck space overlooking the Gulf. Lunch, dinner. 35th and Seawall.

Smooth Tony?s ? Burgers, sanwiches, wraps, pasta (on Weds. and Fri.) and myriad smoothie flavors. Smooth Tony?s is very close to campus, and they have a nice back patio area. 9th and Market. Lunch.

Schutte?s ? Great for the kind of lunches that cause afternoon narcolepsy. Comfort food and sandwiches are good here. They have a lunch special that consists of 1 meat and 2 veggies from a list that runs about $7. 11-3 M-F. 8th and Postoffice.

Sunflower Bakery ? Great bakery items, salads, soups and sandwiches. Great for a snack or a meal. Morning to early afternoon. 15th and Church.

Sunflower Cafe ? Same owners as above, but with a more extensive menu. They are also open for dinner on the weekends. Everything I?ve had here has been good. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. 45th between Ave P and Ave O.

Mosquito Cafe ? I wasn?t sure how to classify this place. They have sandwiches, soups, salads, seafood etc... Everything is fresh and there are some very inventive, tasty dishes. Try the divinity sandwich (smoked bacon, melted brie, grilled apples and field greens on a baguette). They?re open for lunch every day and dinner Thurs, Fri & Sat. 14th and Winnie.

Italian

DiBella?s ? Great Italian food. The bread is excellent, as mentioned by another person on the UTMB thread. All of the pasta dishes I?ve had here are good, and the steaks smothered in onions and mushrooms are really good too. Around 29th and Ave P

Luigi?s ? A little more upscale than DiBella?s, with excellent food. A great place for a nice special occasion dinner. 24th and Strand

Pasta Plus ? This is a lunch place. For either 4.99, 5.99 or 6.99 (depending on the entree), you get an entree, salad, bread and a drink. Try their house salad dressing (creamy spinach). 20th and Postoffice.

Japanese

Sky Bar ? An upscale Sushi Bar. They have some great sushi rolls and really fantastic shashimi. Great drinks too. 21st and Postoffice. Dinner only.

Yamato ? A lot like Benihana, where they cook in front of you. Good sushi menu, too. Dinner only. 61st and Heards Lane.

Casual Seafood

Casey?s ? Run by the Gaido family that owns 3 restaurants in the 39th and Seawall block, this is the least formal of the three. Fried seafood platters and po-boys are good, as are the fish entrees. During oyster season, I like to go have fresh oysters on the half-shell and Bloody Mary?s at Casey?s. Good service and a good view of the gulf. Lunch and dinner. 39th and Seawall.

Benno?s ? Good cajun seafood place. They have po-boys, crawfish and crabs (in season), gumbo, and blackened dishes. Very casual, and always a fun place to go. Lunch and dinner. Around 12th and Seawall

Shrimp and Stuff ? Good po-boys, gumbo and fried seafood platters. Very casual, and off of the tourist path. 39th and Ave. 0 Lunch and Dinner

The Cajun Greek ? Good po-boys, crawfish etc..., cold beer , and good gyros too. Lunch, dinner. 61st around Stewart Road.

Upscale Dining

Clary?s ? This is kind of a hidden treasure. It?s very much off of the tourist path, and kind of hard to find at first. It?s worth a few wrong turns to get here, though. Excellent, expertly prepared seafood and steaks with a definite Louisiana influence. Wonderful service and ambiance. Take the Teichman Road/Harborside off of I-45 south and go right onto Teichman Road.

Gaido?s ? This restaurant has been open since 1911 in Galveston. Fresh seafood and nice atmosphere. Try the Snapper Michael or the stuffed flounder. Fresh oysters when in season (oyster season is all months with an ?R?) 39th and Seawall. There is also private club restaurant in back called the Pelican Club that is more formal, but has a similar menu.

Saltwater Grill ? This is a great place for a nice dinner or lunch. Fresh, inventive seafood, pasta and steak dishes. The daily specials are wonderful. The lunch menu is very reasonable. 21st and Postoffice.

Rudy and Paco ? Great food, innovative menu with a Central American influence. One of Galveston?s finest restaurants. 21st and Postoffice

Shearn?s ? Atop the Moody Gardens hotel, this is a great place for a fine meal or drinks at sunset. Try the filet mignon with Bernaise sauce. Moody Gardens hotel.

The Steakhouse at the San Luis ? Some of the best steaks in Texas. Definitely a special occasion place. The porterhouse I had there was one of the best I?ve ever tasted. In the San Luis Resort 54th and Seawall.

-Aaron 2008

Aaron said:
As a native Galvestonian, I thought I?d post a list of my favorite restaurants. Here it is.

Mexican

El Jardin ? This is, in my opinion, the best Mexican restaurant on the island. Their lunch is really good, but their breakfasts are truly excellent. Try the surprise burritos or the huevos rancheros. They have wonderful homemade tortillas, and great menudo if you?re into that kind of thing. 24th and Market. Closes at 3 PM and closed all day Sunday.

La Estacion - I go here primarily on Sunday, when El Jardin is closed. They have similar menus, but La Estacion seems to have a more extensive non-breakfast menu. Surprise burritos are good here, as well as just about everything else. 25th and I think Church. 6 am ? 3pm 7 days.

Super Mercado Hispanos ? This place is actually a convenience store/Mexican market that has a food counter in the back. The tables are situated in the middle of the restaurant, and they have great tacos, burritos, tortas, and Mexican plates. The portions are huge and cheap. It is often necessary to speak Spanish here (or point to what you want on the menu board.) around 35th and Broadway

Taqueria Juarez ? A great place for breakfast or lunch. Close to UTMB. I have only had a few items here, but their breakfast burritos and breakfast plates are as good as any I?ve had. Around 14th and Strand.

Cavazos Taqueria ? I ate here almost every day when I first started working at UTMB. They have good everything. Tortas and Gorditas are some of my favorites here. A couple of times a week, they set up a small buffet. 6-2 M-Saturday. 9th between Market and Postoffice

Apache ? One of a small number of small, family-owned Mexican restaurants that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (most close in the early afternoon). They have good tamales, enchiladas and specialty dishes. 7AM-8:30 PM 19th between Church and Postoffice

El Gusto ? This place is also open at night, and they have a lot of good, authentic food. Try the tortas with barbacoa, lengua (tongue), or milanesa. They always have menudo, caldos, and seafood entrees along with the standard Mexican fare. Around 37th and Broadway

Santiago?s ? Santiago?s is open for lunch and dinner, and they have good standard Mexican food. Their fried shrimp and grilled fish are wonderful. 53rd and Broadway. Closed Sundays.

Gorditas ? This place is relatively new, but they have developed quite a devoted following since its opening. Their food is not Tex-Mex, however. It is authentically Mexican, with some distinctly Interior dishes. Their soups are really good, as are their tortas. around 7th and Seawall.

Maya?s - On Sundays, go get a pound of barbacoa, fresh salsa, and a dozen fresh tortillas from Maya?s, and take it home and enjoy. It?s on the corner of 18th and Ave L.

El Nopalito ? There are two of these in Galveston, but I really prefer the one on 43rd and somewhere north of Broadway. It?s actually surrounded by Sec. 8 housing, but their food is really good for breakfast and lunch.

Burgers, Sandwiches, etc...

Sonny?s - This place is touted as a medical student hangout, but on any given night there are plenty of non-medical student there too. They have great burgers, po-boys, gumbo, and spaghetti. Also, try the Artery Clogger Sandwich. Closed Sundays and Mondays and often for an entire month during the summer and Christmas time.

McDonald?s ? One of the island?s best-kept secrets. Very quick and the food is usually hot and made to order. Try the ?Big Mac? (a double-decker burger with thousand island dressing), or the Royale With Cheese (a quarter pound burger with ketchup, pickles and onions). A Galveston original. A drive-through window is available too. 7 days 7am-10pm. 61st and Seawall, 53rd and Broadway, 4th and Seawall. Just kidding.

Yaga?s ? This place is a popular bar at night, but they have good food during the day. The burgers and salads are all good, and on a nice day, you can sit outside on the patio.

The Spot ? This is a fun place to get a burger. It?s akin to Fuddrucker?s in that you dress your own burger from a toppings bar. They also have good po-boys and salads. Plenty of deck space overlooking the Gulf. Lunch, dinner. 35th and Seawall.

Smooth Tony?s ? Burgers, sanwiches, wraps, pasta (on Weds. and Fri.) and myriad smoothie flavors. Smooth Tony?s is very close to campus, and they have a nice back patio area. 9th and Market. Lunch.

Schutte?s ? Great for the kind of lunches that cause afternoon narcolepsy. Comfort food and sandwiches are good here. They have a lunch special that consists of 1 meat and 2 veggies from a list that runs about $7. 11-3 M-F. 8th and Postoffice.

Sunflower Bakery ? Great bakery items, salads, soups and sandwiches. Great for a snack or a meal. Morning to early afternoon. 15th and Church.

Sunflower Cafe ? Same owners as above, but with a more extensive menu. They are also open for dinner on the weekends. Everything I?ve had here has been good. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. 45th between Ave P and Ave O.

Mosquito Cafe ? I wasn?t sure how to classify this place. They have sandwiches, soups, salads, seafood etc... Everything is fresh and there are some very inventive, tasty dishes. Try the divinity sandwich (smoked bacon, melted brie, grilled apples and field greens on a baguette). They?re open for lunch every day and dinner Thurs, Fri & Sat. 14th and Winnie.

Italian

DiBella?s ? Great Italian food. The bread is excellent, as mentioned by another person on the UTMB thread. All of the pasta dishes I?ve had here are good, and the steaks smothered in onions and mushrooms are really good too. Around 29th and Ave P

Luigi?s ? A little more upscale than DiBella?s, with excellent food. A great place for a nice special occasion dinner.

Pasta Plus ? This is a lunch place. For either 4.99, 5.99 or 6.99 (depending on the entree), you get an entree, salad, bread and a drink. Try their house salad dressing (creamy spinach).

Japanese

Sky Bar ? An upscale Sushi Bar. They have some great sushi rolls and really fantastic shashimi. Great drinks too. 21st and Postoffice. Dinner only.

Yamato ? A lot like Benihana, where they cook in front of you. Good sushi menu, too. Dinner only. 61st and Heards Lane.

Casual Seafood

Casey?s ? Run by the Gaido family that owns 3 restaurants in the 39th and Seawall block, this is the least formal of the three. Fried seafood platters and po-boys are good, as are the fish entrees. During oyster season, I like to go have fresh oysters on the half-shell and Bloody Mary?s at Casey?s. Good service and a good view of the gulf. Lunch and dinner. 39th and Seawall.

Benno?s ? Good cajun seafood place. They have po-boys, crawfish and crabs (in season), gumbo, and blackened dishes. Very casual, and always a fun place to go. Lunch and dinner. Around 12th and Seawall

Shrimp and Stuff ? Good po-boys, gumbo and fried seafood platters. Very casual, and off of the tourist path. 39th and Ave. 0 Lunch and Dinner

The Cajun Greek ? Good po-boys, crawfish etc..., cold beer , and good gyros too. Lunch, dinner. 61st around Stewart Road.

Upscale Dining

Clary?s ? This is kind of a hidden treasure. It?s very much off of the tourist path, and kind of hard to find at first. It?s worth a few wrong turns to get here, though. Excellent, expertly prepared seafood and steaks with a definite Louisiana influence. Wonderful service and ambiance. Take the Teichman Road/Harborside off of I-45 south and go right onto Teichman Road.

Gaido?s ? This restaurant has been open since 1911 in Galveston. Fresh seafood and nice atmosphere. Try the Snapper Michael or the stuffed flounder. Fresh oysters when in season (oyster season is all months with an ?R?) 39th and Seawall. There is also private club restaurant in back called the Pelican Club that is more formal, but has a similar menu.

Saltwater Grill ? This is a great place for a nice dinner or lunch. Fresh, inventive seafood, pasta and steak dishes. The daily specials are wonderful. The lunch menu is very reasonable. 21st and Postoffice.

Rudy and Paco ? Great food, innovative menu with a Central American influence. One of Galveston?s finest restaurants. 21st and Postoffice

Shearn?s ? Atop the Moody Gardens hotel, this is a great place for a fine meal or drinks at sunset. Try the filet mignon with Bernaise sauce. Moody Gardens hotel.

The Steakhouse at the San Luis ? Some of the best steaks in Texas. Definitely a special occasion place. The porterhouse I had there was one of the best I?ve ever tasted. In the San Luis Resort 54th and Seawall.

-Aaron 2008
thanks aaron

...mmmm...

Benno's cajun seafood platter with a cup of Gumbo.

also mmm...

Saltwater, Mesquito, Sunflower, DiBella's and the Spot.

aaron,

im not even going to utmb but i feel like i have to take advantage of some of these restaurants before i leave the houston area! great post... got me drooling!

Ok Guys,
I Want To Try This One Last Time. Since School Will Be Ending Pretty Soon....does Anyone (class Of 2008 Or Earlier) In The Austin Area Want To Get Together Sometime In May....preferably Before May 20th (i Leave For Galveston Around That Time). Please Post Or Pm Me. Thanks :hungover:

if i were in austin, i'd wanna meet up and see who my classmates for the next four years will be. but, unfortunately, i'm not. here's an opinion question for ya'll to answer:

Are ya'll more excited about entering med school or was it more exciting to move onto college?

Also for the galvestonians, what's one thing that all the outsiders to the island should know before coming down there?

nykka I pmed you.....I am definitely up to meeting up. Just pm me back and we can arrange something.

Barca said:
Are ya'll more excited about entering med school or was it more exciting to move onto college?

Med school. Hands down! :thumbup: I was not excited about going to college at all. I was actually quite upset that I had to go. I was really burned out after HS plus I wasn't thrilled about moving away to a place I didn't pick and leaving all of my friends.

But I am actually excited about medical school; this is really what I've been working towards since I was 12. I just hope that my current study skills will suffice. I'm also looking forward to meeting new people. I think Galveston's going to be a great place to be!

Anyone a native Spanish speaker? I have been studying Spanish for about seven years and I think it would be awesome to meet a native speaker to talk to.

I'm definitely more excited about going to med school. Going to college was more of the kind of anticipation that I used to get before going to summer camp: no parents, new friends, but this is a life's goal realized.

The one thing you should know about Galveston is that it is one of the most relaxing places around. Feed off that, and it'll be a perfect backdrop to the stress of medical school. Also, go swimming in the beach as much as possible. Salt water is good for the soul. -Aaron

I'll respond to my own question. Coming out of high school, I was eager to see what could happen in college in terms of relationships, personal growth, and being away from home! I just hope that my parents never find out about some things that happened! However, we've all been working towards medical school, and we're all proud of this goal. Graduating from college is a significant accomplishment since not too many can boast of such an honor, but having the title MD next to your name kinda tickles my tummy. Ok, so that was a dumb metaphor, but ya'll get the point. Medical school in Galveston will rock, and we'll be signing up for liver transplants by the end of school! :cool:

dang...what happened to everyone else who's going to UTMB? No new posts?

Bringing this thread back from the dead

Did somebody say there's another thread on another forum?

Anyway the thing I'm most worried about in med school is making friends. I just got back from a reunion of everyone on my dorm floor from freshman year, and I realized that that was the last time that I had friends I could really relate too. Med school is going to be harder because the living arrangement will not facilitate that kind of social interaction. I am counting on there being lots and lots of really nice people to hang out with and study with because I'm going to be 900 miles away from my family and my current friends. Anyone else concerned about making friends?

vr4nut said:
Did somebody say there's another thread on another forum?

Hey vr4nut,

The other thread is in allopathic and it is also titled the same. I am considered just like you about having to fill that empty gap that will remain after leaving family and friends. I have a very close-knit family and a group of good friends whom I will miss a lot but from all that I have seen UTMB students are so wonderful and so extremely friendly. I don't think we will have problems as far as finding friends.

well just to make sure, have you guys received anything new from UTMB? The last packet that I got in the mail included apartment listing, some health info, etc. Anything new?

Alright back to studying for finals...yall take care.

Dis~

The only other letters I've received is one saying I am deficient in all of the prerequisites and another one recently asking me to confirm that I will choose UTMB.

BUMP! Where did everyone gooo?

hey guys,
i am now living in galveston. i am attending the prematriculation program... and living in the dorms for 6 weeks. on tuesday, i started working on my first cadaver!!!! i move into my apt. on july 2nd. if anyone has any questions about utmb or galveston ( i am new here) i could probably help. :)

first question: have the mosquitos begun mating yet?

i haven't seen mosquitos yet...but i was bitten once since i got here last friday.

does anyone else know of others that will be going to UTMB? five other peeps from Austin College are gonna be there.

so...where'd all 195 or so people in our class go? i guess no one from utmb really reads this thread or are members. kinda sucks not knowing who's gonna be there until orientation. :(

so, what's the difference between parking for the frat houses and utmb? besides the obvious location difference, is there an advantage of one over the other? i can't remember how close they are to campus at all, but is it hard to find parking down at utmb if you're gonna be living a bit farther than walking distance from campus?

ok...peace out fellas

Barca said:
so...where'd all 195 or so people in our class go? i guess no one from utmb really reads this thread or are members. kinda sucks not knowing who's gonna be there until orientation. :(

so, what's the difference between parking for the frat houses and utmb? besides the obvious location difference, is there an advantage of one over the other? i can't remember how close they are to campus at all, but is it hard to find parking down at utmb if you're gonna be living a bit farther than walking distance from campus?

ok...peace out fellas
if you are going to live away from campus... i would sign up on the waitlist for the garage parking...i am here in galveston this summer and parking is hard to find for student (other than curbside). there is a shuttle bus system where you park somewhere close to campus and take a shuttle in.

well, i guess since i'll be living at either carlton courtyard or casa caribe, it'll be close enough to campus for bike riding.

another question: what are the medical fraternities like? are they worth joining if you're not gonna be living in the houses?

Barca said:
well, i guess since i'll be living at either carlton courtyard or casa caribe, it'll be close enough to campus for bike riding.

another question: what are the medical fraternities like? are they worth joining if you're not gonna be living in the houses?

i heard PHI chi and Alpha kappa something are the better ones.
nikki

man i just found a house on 10th and ball which is about a 10 minute walk from campus. and better yet, i get a little "city of galveston" parking sticker which lets me park downtown and on the streets during the day. it is huge and i will have parties there and everyone who doesn't suck can come.

meltmyfaceoff, that's freaking awesome! we'll need the partying between blocks, so just say when and i'll bring the grey goose!

dead over here.... :(

Well, I'm moving in less than two weeks. I'm really excited but I'm also a tad nervous. Does anyone go to the beach in Galveston? When I was there last, there were huge jellyfish washed up everywhere. It would still be relaxing to sit and listen to the waves though. So is everyone else already settled in? How do you like it so far, for those of you who just moved in?

moving to galveston in just over a month... God, i cant wait...

i'll be there at the beginning of august right by the beach (hopefully not covered by jellyfish or that sort). i'm getting excited!!!!

i dont know if yall have heard, but schlitterbahn is opening up a new park in galveston in may 05. even if you dont love waterparks its a good thing for galveston cause its supposeldy gonna generate the city $35 million a year and its supposed to be open 200 days a year. i wonder if we'll even have time to even go once a year. :)

Schlitterbahn Galveston Texas

2005 - New Park - (1/7/04) A few new details for the waterpark have apparently been finalized between the city and Schlitterbahn. In addition to the 25 acre waterpark site, Schlitterbahn is going to try out something new that will help keep the park open as many as 200 days a year. The waterpark will also have an indoor section built inside of a renovated old hanger building. The city will keep ownership of the land and Schlitterbahn will pay a monthly rent of $7,500 for the duration of the 20 year lease.
(12/24/03) The Galveston area just received a big Christmas present from Schlitterbahn as the City Council just voted unanimously (6 to 0) in favor of the land lease deal to make the new park a reality. The $30 million park could open as early as May 2005 and may be open as many as 200 days a year.
(9/17/03) An interview published with NBGS in Splash Magazine reveals a few details about the new Schlitterbahn Galveston project. In addition to having all of the benefits of the Transportatinment concept first used at the South Padre Island park, it will also feature a few new surprise attractions never before seen by the public. It will also have a Boogie Bahn (Flow Rider) stationary surf wave. The first wave (blue sky) plans for the new park should be finished by October, Preliminary designs by November, and construction should hopefully start by Spring 2004 to meet the May 2005 opening date.
(9/1/03) Schlitterbahn has announced their plans to build Schlitterbahn Galveston, a 25 acre project that will be twice the size of the Schlitterbahn Beach park on South Padre Island. The new park will cost about $28 million and is expected to start construction in April and open in May 2005 if all goes well.

hey guys,
i and ammar are in galveston right now doing the prematric program. if you need any advice or contacts PM us. i will be moving into the SEasons on 81st and seawall(far from campus...10 minutes) this weekend or next weekend. i don't know where ammar will be staying... but contact us.
nikki

That waterpark thing is good news. It's nice to see some new money pumped into Galveston. I wonder if they're going to build it on the site of the former aquarium off Seawall that closed 20 years ago.