***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just found out my FinAid award, and I was wondering how they determine who to give subsidized loans to, because for the most part (I'd assume) most students are going to be going to into medical school as independents and with little to no income...

I was just wondering because I wanted to know if there is any way to increase the amount of subsidized funding that they awarded, or if the variables are completely out of my play. It just seems kind of absurd to have to take out unsubsidized loans where the interest (I believe) is accruing the whole time you're in school...

That kinda sucks lol.

Members don't see this ad.

All medical students are considered independent. Don't know how much you got, but the legal maximum for subsidized loans is 8500 per year. They can't give you more than that. Good luck guys!

For GAR it is recommended to wear scrubs, is there a required scrub color or can we choose whatever color?

Does anyone know of a 1/1 condo available for PREP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could a current student rank the five first year classes based on difficulty? Hopefully GAR is one of the easier? Thanks.

Oh and also, is attendance required at all labs and PBL sessions or will there be weeks when I can go back home?

Could a current student rank the five first year classes based on difficulty? Hopefully GAR is one of the easier? Thanks.

Oh and also, is attendance required at all labs and PBL sessions or will there be weeks when I can go back home?

I hear you, Sno :thumbup:.

Well cooked meals are going to be greatly missed, haha.

You can have three absences per class during first year and that includes all lab and PBL sessions. If you plan it right, you can have a couple three or four day weekends, but it would be pretty hard to miss an entire week without missing more than three things.

As far as ranking classes, it kinda depends on your background and what subjects you find interesting, what you have already taken classes on and your learning style. GAR and neuro are more detailed classes and require a LOT of pure memorization, MCT and PHD are more concept oriented which appeals to a different group of people. Again, it really just depends.

:)

Wow, so we only get 8500 subsidized, huh? And then those who are lucky get grants. So I guess most people have no other option other than to just take the unsubsidized loans? Man, I don't know why I didn't realize that this would be the case, but it just sounds absurd that graduate students have to take out loans that are going to accrue interest the WHOLE time we're in school...that just makes what we have to pay back THAT much more...
Is there anything you can do to minimize how much you have to take out? Or does anyone have a sample monthly budget that would help me figure out exactly how deep you have to dip into the unsubsidized loans?

I was also wondering, because I was looking at the UTMB site, what do they mean by the $3000 computer allowance? And does the following: "The University Bookstore cost for required books, plus a $100 per semester supply allowance, will be included for all students on financial aid" mean that these costs are included in tuition? Sorry about all the questions...

Thanks for any and all help.

Live with roommates or in a frat, learn to cook haha...it's probably best to take the max and pay back what you don't use until you get settled into your new life.
------
The computer allowance is just an extra 3000 you can have added to your FA package...either all at once or in pieces over 4 years. You don't have to use it for computational needs.
-------
The last part you mention isn't included in tuition, but is added into the total cost of attendance used to determine the size of your FA package....you won't, or at least shouldn't, spend anywhere near that much on books fyi.
-------
i was on pace to graduate with about 130-150k in loans and accrued interest, which would probably be below avg nationally.

Last edited:
Live with roommates or in a frat, learn to cook haha...it's probably best to take the max and pay back what you don't use until you get settled into your new life.
------
The computer allowance is just an extra 3000 you can have added to your FA package...either all at once or in pieces over 4 years. You don't have to use it for computational needs.
-------
The last part you mention isn't included in tuition, but is added into the total cost of attendance used to determine the size of your FA package....you won't, or at least shouldn't, spend anywhere near that much on books fyi.
-------
i was on pace to graduate with about 130-150k in loans and accrued interest, which would probably be below avg nationally.

Wow, okay. Well thanks for the help.

GAR is the "easiest" but hardest to honor because so many people do so well... a lot of people thought MCT was difficult but I felt it was the easiest course because it relied on thinking rather than total memorization. If you are visual - GAR and NBH will be easier.

As a few people have mentioned - class is mandatory in labs and all PBLs. You are allowed 3 absences per class. However - how this is counted is not the same in every course. Some courses allow you 3 total absences (which include lab + PBL) while some allow you 3 absences in PBL + 3 absences in labs. Theres no way you can miss a week because you'll have 3 PBLs/week plus usually at least one lab. You can have a few 3-4 day weekends depending on school holidays. Another thing to consider is that even though you are technically allowed 3 absences per course - you may still get a lower grade for PBL. A lot of facilitators count off in their evaluation of you if you are absent. You will also get "early concern notices" and have your attendance monitored if you miss the max 3 times.

"Is there anything you can do to minimize how much you have to take out? Or does anyone have a sample monthly budget that would help me figure out exactly how deep you have to dip into the unsubsidized loans?"

With tuition, expenses and cost of living, each year cost 20000-25000 on average for me. Half will go to tuition, the rest for living/expenses.

I, on average, took out all subsidized and half unsubsidized.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone happens to know the absolute maximum you can get from the school in loans (I'm not asking about anyone's personal award amount). I was rather dissappointed with the amount I was given because our situation last year was completely different than this year.

I was wondering if anyone happens to know the absolute maximum you can get from the school in loans (I'm not asking about anyone's personal award amount). I was rather dissappointed with the amount I was given because our situation last year was completely different than this year.

I think its somewhere between 35k and 40k total loans a yr.

for those have you that have already received financial packages, when did you fill out FAFSA?

i haven't received anything yet and am getting paranoid but think it might be because i turned in fafsa a little later.

thanks!

for those have you that have already received financial packages, when did you fill out FAFSA?

i haven't received anything yet and am getting paranoid but think it might be because i turned in fafsa a little later.

thanks!

I turned my FAFSA in mid-Feb.

I was curious: how often are grants granted? I got none. Anyone?

I was curious: how often are grants granted? I got none. Anyone?
I didn't get any either. I agree with breakwithhate that it's going to be very crappy having to pay back so much money with interest after we finish school.

My first year I got everything in pretty early...received just over 10k in grants/scholarships. Second time around there was a snafu. They were switching to a new software package and my institutional form got lost. I logged back into my account later and saw that they had it listed as not turned in, so I quickly sent in another....too late, "funds exhausted". All i got were loans. That was early summer. Always turn your stuff in asap and keep track of it.

thanks!

I am assuming you are talking about your award letter? I didnt receive mine (and still havent got one in the mail) when everyone was talking about getting theirs. I emailed someone and they sent it to me in an email attachment. You might contact Amanda Hancock <[email protected]>. She is the one that sent me the email version.
I filled my fafsa out sometime in April I believe.

I am sure this has been asked already but...

What text(s) does UTMB require for GAR? Do we actually need that book or is something else more useful?

Any other texts ya'll recommend getting for that class?

I am sure this has been asked already but...

What text(s) does UTMB require for GAR? Do we actually need that book or is something else more useful?

Any other texts ya'll recommend getting for that class?

Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy (for the blue boxes) and an Atlas your preference (Netter's, Grant's, or the color atlas). Don't need anything else really.

I've got a question: what is everyone's opinion on tablet PCs? Yea or nay?

I'm debating whether it's really worth the extra coin just so I can write directly on to the computer.

Last edited:
I've got a question: what is everyone's opinion on tablet PCs? Yea or nay?

I'm debating whether it's really worth the extra coin just so I can write directly on to the computer.

I have worked for the geeksquad for the past 2 years and have had to repair maybe 2 tablet pc's. I wasn't very impressed with them. The writing function can lag sometimes when writing quickly. This is just my opinion though. Also, I was told they stoped selling tablet pc's.

Just got back from a few days in Houston and a day in Galveston trying to find an apartment and visit the campus and such. Got to say it was very disapointing. The campus is a huge mess with most buildings still looking completley trashed. Windows knocked out, piles of trash laying around walkways, first floors that appear completley gutted, as well as several uper stories on most buildings. Between the way the campus looked, the lack of even one functional hospital, the losss of several seemingly key proffesors and the lack of imformation or substantiated re-assurement from the administration I am very worried about my decision to attend UTMB. Things do not seem to be going the right way. I hope I am wrong because we are now pretty much committed, but after a day in Galveston and then seeing Baylor's and UTH's campuses and set ups, it looks like we will be attending medical school in a third world country. Hopefuly UTMB's reputaion will not suffer, but I don't see how it won't, I know it already has lost a bit of its prestige where I am from. Sorry for the negative post, I am just very dissapointed, worried, and regretful after seeing campus still in such dissaray and the school as a whole and needed to vent. Hopefuly I am wrong.

^
I know what you mean. I felt the same when I visited.

Thank god for out of state acceptances.

Hey - question: does anyone know where I can find out how many semester hours we'll be taking at UTMB throughout the year? I'm filling out a form that is requesting information on the number of semester hours the first semester and the total number of semester hours in the four years...

Just got back from a few days in Houston and a day in Galveston trying to find an apartment and visit the campus and such. Got to say it was very disapointing. The campus is a huge mess with most buildings still looking completley trashed. Windows knocked out, piles of trash laying around walkways, first floors that appear completley gutted, as well as several uper stories on most buildings. Between the way the campus looked, the lack of even one functional hospital, the losss of several seemingly key proffesors and the lack of imformation or substantiated re-assurement from the administration I am very worried about my decision to attend UTMB. Things do not seem to be going the right way. I hope I am wrong because we are now pretty much committed, but after a day in Galveston and then seeing Baylor's and UTH's campuses and set ups, it looks like we will be attending medical school in a third world country. Hopefuly UTMB's reputaion will not suffer, but I don't see how it won't, I know it already has lost a bit of its prestige where I am from. Sorry for the negative post, I am just very dissapointed, worried, and regretful after seeing campus still in such dissaray and the school as a whole and needed to vent. Hopefuly I am wrong.

So I'm not sure if you heard or not, but a pretty bad HURRICANE hit the island a few months ago. Recovering from the storm has been a SLOW, SLOW process and the campus has come a long way to getting back to normal since the time we were hit. Most of the classrooms and buildings that the medical students use are back in order if not really close to it, so I'm not sure where exactly all the ruins that you're talking about actually are. If you're really concerned that your education will be negatively impacted by a campus that isn't as aesthetically pleasing as others might be then I have to question whether or not medical school is the right choice for you. I'm only a first year, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't a section on residency applications that ask about how "pretty" your campus was.

Currently, second-year students from across the state, including those other medical schools you mentioned, are living in this "third world country" taking a Step 1 prep course because UTMB still knows what it's doing with regards to board scores and making sure its students are prepared and continue to excel. UTMB took a hard hit, but there are people all across the state advocating for us and making sure that we get back on our feet.

You really shouldn't start your first year with such a sour attitude; you haven't even given it a chance. Hate to be so blunt, but you really should just suck it up. All of us that made it past the hurricane don't regret our choices to come to UTMB and are confident that our futures will be filled with nothing but success.

(As a side note, I know this is just a silly internet forum, but it's hard to take you seriously with so many mistakes in your writing... spellcheck, maybe?)

Last edited:

Hey buddy, WH08P is right. It's easy to drive down here 8 months after the fact and bitch and moan about how things aren't as nice as you thought. Newsflash: a hurricane destroyed a significant part of this island including UTMB, countless homes, businesses, and lives. You have no idea what most of us have gone through, and how far we've come. In the aftermath of the storm, we came together, and our UTMB family is stronger than ever. If you aren't even willing to show the slightest hint of empathy, maybe you won't fit in very will in our family. It'd be your loss.

JohnTex -

"A conference committee from the House and Senate on Wednesday unanimously approved an increase of $97 million in general revenue funding for UTMB; one million will be used to reopen the McAllen dysplasia clinic that was closed due to UTMB’s budget shortfall after Ike. The conference committee had previously approved a $12 million increase in UTMB formula funding. The legislation, Senate Bill 1, now goes back to each chamber for formal approval. If this and all the other UTMB budget items receive final approval, and with insurance proceeds, UTMB will have about $1.3 billion to rebuild, to restore its trauma center and to continue providing unsponsored care.

Other committees have approved $150 million for UTMB as a state match for the $450 million in FEMA dollars and $150 million toward construction of a new hospital with matching funds from the Sealy & Smith Foundation. UTMB has also been allocated $50 million from federal disaster funds towards unreimbursed Ike costs. The Correctional Managed Health Care Program which provides health care for offenders anticipates $92.5 million in increased funding, of which UTMB CMC will receive approximately $70 million. This is all good news and represents hard work by the legislature to help UTMB recover. We are still awaiting final approval but all signs look good. The session ends June 1."

I'm not the biggest optimist, but it sounds like UTMB is going to be just fine. I'm not too worried about my decision to go there.

Not to be sappy, but people like you all make me really pleased to be heading to Galveston this next year, haha.

And Invis, thanks a whole lot for the advice on the tablet PC. I'm think I may just splurge on a regular laptop and saving my cash for some good ol' pen and paper.

Last edited:

Last edited:
UTMB will be fine.

Deleted duplicate post

Sorry, my computer was ****ed over by a virus.

Hey buddy, WH08P is right. It's easy to drive down here 8 months after the fact and bitch and moan about how things aren't as nice as you thought. Newsflash: a hurricane destroyed a significant part of this island including UTMB, countless homes, businesses, and lives. You have no idea what most of us have gone through, and how far we've come. In the aftermath of the storm, we came together, and our UTMB family is stronger than ever. If you aren't even willing to show the slightest hint of empathy, maybe you won't fit in very will in our family. It'd be your loss.

Well look, I can not imagine what the UTMB students have gone through, honestly I can not. I admire ya'll for handling a tough situation the way ya'll have, it is very impressive.

That being said, solely as far as my medical education goes, what you and the other students went though does not matter to me. I want to go to a school where I will get a great education and have significant oppurtunities. After seeing the campus I have doubts about that. Of course the hurricane was devestating and I know UTMB will rebuild...but in the meantime...for the next four years that I am there its hard to believe my education and especially rotations/clinical experience will not be negatively effected based on the look of the campus (ie. first floors of hospitals gutted, entire hospitals closed and re-opnening at some unspecified time in the future/ or never, Big Red completley gutted etc. etc.). And I can promise you that I am not the only UTMB student to have doubts, so don't get all defensive and judgemental towards me. Your whining and WHO8P whining about how tough it has been and how I just don't understand makes me further believe what I said orignially. I do appreciate the information on the funding and the poster who provided that. My intent in my orignal post was to get some feedback on why UTMB will be ok in the next four years and how my time there will not be effected negatively, not to hear you two whine about how I don't understand or empathize.

Again, what you have been through was incredibly tough and your perservence is impressive and I am sure will make you stronger and all, but I am talking solely about my medical school education here, which I want to be the best possible, so I really am not going to just ignore my doubts and worries (after seeing the state campus) because ya'll have had it hard.

Also, I did not spell check this post either, I have better things to do, if you want to proof read it and re-post it, go for it, won't bother me.

One thing that you have to keep in mind when thinking about questions like "why aren't they doing any work?" is that the situation is extremely complicated and delicate. I listened to Dr. Callender give his presentation to the UT Regents and he gave a pretty good overview of what the picture looks like from his point-of-view.

-UTMB was loosing money before the storm (mainly due to having a mostly uninsured patient base).
-The reimbersements for other counties in Texas sending underinsured patients to UTMB have been going down.
-Insurance was extremely expensive before the storm. That's why they only had $100 million in coverage. It isn't cheaper now.
-The whole process is going through the Texas Legislature now and there is a wide consensus for rebuilding UTMB bigger and better. The Regents and Legislatures understand that UTMB provides many of the doctors that practice medicine in their districts. Rep. Eiland is doing a awesome job from the looks of it.
-Construction can't really start until the finances are in order.
-Funding from the UT Endowment fund is not available in the current economic climate (i.e. no quick money).

To sum it up - Dr. Callender is trying to shape UTMB into being a vibrant, financially healthy institution in a challenging environment and that process is taking time. Especially when the Texas Legislature is involved.

Also, if you look at your four years at UTMB, having "nice facilities" only really matters for the 3rd year. The first two years you are studying and hitting the books. The 3rd year if you are still worried about the condition of the campus, as others have mentioned, St. Luke's in Houston or Breckenridge in Austin are options. 4th year is mainly electives from my understanding and don't really play a major roll in your residency app. I think there are still a lot of research opportunities going on as well.

Before you make a decision (really any decision) its healthy to weigh the pros and cons. BUT after you are committed, the best thing to do is to through yourself into it whole-heartedly and forget the cons. Buyer's remorse doesn't do you any good and can be very destructive. There are going to be plenty of opportunities to do some really amazing things in the coming years at UTMB.

Good luck.

ok. first let me say i am using my friends login, so if you want to reply to me you can do so directly. i'm a first (soon to be second) year and my name is robb, everyone who is anyone knows me ;)

i was asked to lay the smack down and set you straight, but it seems to me you are simply more vocal when expressing your concerns than others, although you may be misguided on some key points. your concern is definitely warranted, but you need to relax.

first of all, when comparing Galveston to a third-world country, try and think about what its actually like practicing medicine in a third-world country. there are no comparisons to be made- none. make no mistake, the UTMB medical system is second to none- if we didn't spend so much money taking care of the people baylor and texas medical turn away because of inability to pay, then maybe we would have crystal chandaliers in every room too. but remember, there's a reason one of the school mottos is "here for the health of texas". so before you go calling galveston the third world (which pretty much anyone with experience would say is an unbased and laughable comparison), actually do some research on the standard of care we offer here. also remember this- UTMB was taking care of patients when there was 6 ft of water in John Sealy. you should rethink your statement. theres are MRI machines in our hospital, we have running water, i even took a shower this morning. also, there are no large felines on galveston island, find a third world country that can make that claim! this is not the third-world.

now, you are worried about the quality of your education. well, in terms of your first two years in medical school (upon which you are about to embark), you actually won't be working in the "gutted" hospitals or any of the other patient facilities unless you are doing so on your own time. and even then, most of the hospital is functioning normally, with critical facilities having been relocated to make way for the renovation. the point is, your education really won't be severely affected. and besides, with the first two years being mostly academic, the quality of the education depends on YOU and how much effort you put in.

as for the second two years, the school is working overtime to guarantee our education, and considering the obstacles, they've done a great job. you can complain if you want, but you havent even started your first year, i'd wait a little while before you start getting caustic about how badly your education has been affected- wait until you know a little more.

and besides that- you are already enrolled am i right? so you're very concerned that you might not get that duke residency in dermatology because the first floor of the hospital was flooded? don't worry, people in my class literally voiced that exact concern (give me a break!)honestly your only real option is to go with the flow, stand behind your school, and do the best you can. the only other option would be to drop out and apply somewhere somewhere else next year....be my guest.

i guess thats it. someone earlier said it best when they said "UTMB will be fine"

you'll find very soon when you actually start medical school that this is the best place to be. the people are the coolest, the board scores are the highest, the schedule is relaxed, and you live 5 minutes or less from the ocean. did i mention how cool everyone was?

your desire to get that get that orthopedic proctology fellowship at Harvard is noted, but that depends on your boards. so study hard because you'll be competing with me for that one ;)

Robb
MS1
(insert accomplishments here)

Well look, I can not imagine what the UTMB students have gone through, honestly I can not. I admire ya'll for handling a tough situation the way ya'll have, it is very impressive.

That being said, solely as far as my medical education goes, what you and the other students went though does not matter to me. I want to go to a school where I will get a great education and have significant oppurtunities. After seeing the campus I have doubts about that. Of course the hurricane was devestating and I know UTMB will rebuild...but in the meantime...for the next four years that I am there its hard to believe my education and especially rotations/clinical experience will not be negatively effected based on the look of the campus (ie. first floors of hospitals gutted, entire hospitals closed and re-opnening at some unspecified time in the future/ or never, Big Red completley gutted etc. etc.). And I can promise you that I am not the only UTMB student to have doubts, so don't get all defensive and judgemental towards me. Your whining and WHO8P whining about how tough it has been and how I just don't understand makes me further believe what I said orignially. I do appreciate the information on the funding and the poster who provided that. My intent in my orignal post was to get some feedback on why UTMB will be ok in the next four years and how my time there will not be effected negatively, not to hear you two whine about how I don't understand or empathize.

Again, what you have been through was incredibly tough and your perservence is impressive and I am sure will make you stronger and all, but I am talking solely about my medical school education here, which I want to be the best possible, so I really am not going to just ignore my doubts and worries (after seeing the state campus) because ya'll have had it hard.

Also, I did not spell check this post either, I have better things to do, if you want to proof read it and re-post it, go for it, won't bother me.

also, the general consensus was that i was way too nice in my reply. so i'll add this. what you said made you sound like a total dick - "what you and the other students went though does not matter to me" puhhhlease... IT SHOULD!

and you're being judged by your future classmates as such, so take it easy and be nicer next time. remember- you want these people to be your friends.....

now if you'll excuse me, i need to go put on my white-coat and pose in front of the mirror

now if you'll excuse me, i need to go put on my white-coat and pose in front of the mirror

Lol, oh man.

I've got a question for some of you upperclassmen: how do you all study for your classes? Are there any routines or "rituals" you go through in preparing for your exams? Late nights? Hellish weekends?

I'm interested in surveying you all, maybe getting an idea of what it's like (I've heard something along the lines of "like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose at full blast").

also, the general consensus was that i was way too nice in my reply. so i'll add this. what you said made you sound like a total dick - "what you and the other students went though does not matter to me" puhhhlease... IT SHOULD!

and you're being judged by your future classmates as such, so take it easy and be nicer next time. remember- you want these people to be your friends.....

No Robb, it was a good reply and I appreciated it.

To those that thought it was too nice, get real. I saw the campus for the first time last week. Imagine that was the first time YOU saw the campus (after you had seen several other very solid campuses around the country), are you not going to have any BIG concerns? Maybe second guess your decision a little? Is hearing how tough the class in front of you had it really going to make you feel that much better about your upcoming four years at the school? No it won't, why would it. Get real people. Quit being so defensive. (BTW I said AS FAR AS MY MEDICAL EDUCATION GOES what you went through does not matter, big difference there).

No Robb, it was a good reply and I appreciated it.

To those that thought it was too nice, get real. I saw the campus for the first time last week. Imagine that was the first time YOU saw the campus (after you had seen several other very solid campuses around the country), are you not going to have any BIG concerns? Maybe second guess your decision a little? Is hearing how tough the class in front of you had it really going to make you feel that much better about your upcoming four years at the school? No it won't, why would it. Get real people. Quit being so defensive. (BTW I said AS FAR AS MY MEDICAL EDUCATION GOES what you went through does not matter, big difference there).

To be honest we didn't really have it tough. I'd rather say the effect on us (first years) was relatively minimal. We still got our education, we still have to deal w/ the same material, exams, and high school drama. Sure we lost a month of summer, but I don't feel I've lost anything else in the essence of my education. For you, the anatomy lab will be in a different location. Woop'd f***in' do...it'd probably be better there anyway. That's all that is going to be different for you, compared to the rest of the classes before you. Also, You're missing a kinda big point someone brought up earlier. If John Sealy isn't aesthetically pleasing enough to you, you have several other options for rotations (Austin, Houston, etc). Remember the patient population is the same, the facilities here are pretty much the same, minus the first floor. So, I suspect your "disgust" of this "third world nation" of ours would be the same if you saw the campus for the first time pre-Ike. You have to understand some people have some deep seeded resentment for sentiment like you have presented, its the kind of **** we have had to put up with. The media/general public sentiment that its all doom and gloom in Galveston/UTMB. We're still the best option for Texas schools in my opinion. Where else can you get second to none board prep with such a flexible and enjoyable schedule and as Robb said the coolest, chill people. So, get excited, the first floors may not be aesthetically pleasing right now, but frankly, I think we have the best damn aesthic pleasing drive to Walmart of any school and you are very lucky to be going here. Cheers.

Lol, oh man.

I've got a question for some of you upperclassmen: how do you all study for your classes? Are there any routines or "rituals" you go through in preparing for your exams? Late nights? Hellish weekends?

I'm interested in surveying you all, maybe getting an idea of what it's like (I've heard something along the lines of "like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose at full blast").

My ritual involves clinically diagnosed mania, its the only way to do it :p Okay, not really. Honestly, myself included, many people change up the way they study with every test. I've tried writing out highlights on a marker board in my room. That was really helpful for MCT/PHD. Drawing pictures for tracts, etc is really helpful. I personally take about 2-2 1/2 weeks off then cram the hell out of stuff for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. If you keep up with lectures though, its really not too bad. Its a lot of info, but you really do get used to the pace. Scribes are a great place to start/end. Try to go through them at least twice before the test. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Gosh, how unfair is that? I love UTMB and Galveston, and Johny boy here gets to go there and I get to go somewhere else. Man that sucks...what have the adcom been looking at?:(

My ritual involves clinically diagnosed mania, its the only way to do it :p Okay, not really. Honestly, myself included, many people change up the way they study with every test. I've tried writing out highlights on a marker board in my room. That was really helpful for MCT/PHD. Drawing pictures for tracts, etc is really helpful. I personally take about 2-2 1/2 weeks off then cram the hell out of stuff for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. If you keep up with lectures though, its really not too bad. Its a lot of info, but you really do get used to the pace. Scribes are a great place to start/end. Try to go through them at least twice before the test. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Haha, this is exactly along the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks, I really appreciate it. :D

I'm sure you'll be able to answer another question then: what are your impressions on the general quality of the lecturers? I guess in a roundabout way I'm wondering if it's been more advantageous for you personally to skip lecture and spend the doing something more productive (I'd like to say studying, but let's be realistic: sleep, eat, watch TV, etc.)

Haha, this is exactly along the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks, I really appreciate it. :D

I'm sure you'll be able to answer another question then: what are your impressions on the general quality of the lecturers? I guess in a roundabout way I'm wondering if it's been more advantageous for you personally to skip lecture and spend the doing something more productive (I'd like to say studying, but let's be realistic: sleep, eat, watch TV, etc.)

In college I was always a lecture goer, so up until mid-NHB, I went to lecture. Then I realized I can be a lot more efficient if I just watched the tegrity (recordings) of the lectures and get the extra sleep. I also like being able to watch lectures at 1.5 speed.

I sent a fax to request my UTMB user ID and have yet to be emailed back. I called enrollment services and they confirmed that they recieved my fax, and that I should recieve an email later that day...this was last week. Has anyone got their user id yet? I need to accept my financial aid package, but cannot without the user id.