***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent a fax to request my UTMB user ID and have yet to be emailed back. I called enrollment services and they confirmed that they recieved my fax, and that I should recieve an email later that day...this was last week. Has anyone got their user id yet? I need to accept my financial aid package, but cannot without the user id.

I got mine, but I had to call the tech people to get it. Try calling enrollment services, they'll tell you the # to call. However, when I logged into accept my package it didn't show up - let me know if you figure that out :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I sent a fax to request my UTMB user ID and have yet to be emailed back. I called enrollment services and they confirmed that they recieved my fax, and that I should recieve an email later that day...this was last week. Has anyone got their user id yet? I need to accept my financial aid package, but cannot without the user id.

I got my UsersM ID e-mailed to me last week. However, in order to get my password, I had to call them: (409)772-5200. You can call them there and from my experience, they'll help you with pretty much anything.

I got mine, but I had to call the tech people to get it. Try calling enrollment services, they'll tell you the # to call. However, when I logged into accept my package it didn't show up - let me know if you figure that out :laugh:

Did you select Award Year "2009-10" from the menu at the top of the screen? I know when I first logged on I had that problem too, haha... :oops:

Did you select Award Year "2009-10" from the menu at the top of the screen? I know when I first logged on I had that problem too, haha... :oops:

Ah, got it, thanks :) How many med students does it take to figure out the financial aid system?? Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Well look, I can not imagine what the UTMB students have gone through, honestly I can not. I admire ya'll for handling a tough situation the way ya'll have, it is very impressive.

That being said, solely as far as my medical education goes, what you and the other students went though does not matter to me. I want to go to a school where I will get a great education and have significant oppurtunities. After seeing the campus I have doubts about that. Of course the hurricane was devestating and I know UTMB will rebuild...but in the meantime...for the next four years that I am there its hard to believe my education and especially rotations/clinical experience will not be negatively effected based on the look of the campus (ie. first floors of hospitals gutted, entire hospitals closed and re-opnening at some unspecified time in the future/ or never, Big Red completley gutted etc. etc.). And I can promise you that I am not the only UTMB student to have doubts, so don't get all defensive and judgemental towards me. Your whining and WHO8P whining about how tough it has been and how I just don't understand makes me further believe what I said orignially. I do appreciate the information on the funding and the poster who provided that. My intent in my orignal post was to get some feedback on why UTMB will be ok in the next four years and how my time there will not be effected negatively, not to hear you two whine about how I don't understand or empathize.

Again, what you have been through was incredibly tough and your perservence is impressive and I am sure will make you stronger and all, but I am talking solely about my medical school education here, which I want to be the best possible, so I really am not going to just ignore my doubts and worries (after seeing the state campus) because ya'll have had it hard.

Also, I did not spell check this post either, I have better things to do, if you want to proof read it and re-post it, go for it, won't bother me.

The quality of your education will not be impacted whatsoever your first two years here. You get out of it what you put into it.
By the time you hit third year - if you still feel that there are inadequate opportunities for you on the island, move to Austin or Houston and complete your rotations there.
Yes, the first floor of every building here is completely gutted. Yes, they are working on fixing that. John Sealy is open and taking in new inpatients every day. Trauma is opening soon. ObGyn is at capacity. Pedi has moved to Clear Lake. Things may be a little different - but there are very few tenured faculty that left. Most of them were trauma + 1 amazing GI guy.

Lol, oh man.

I've got a question for some of you upperclassmen: how do you all study for your classes? Are there any routines or "rituals" you go through in preparing for your exams? Late nights? Hellish weekends?

I'm interested in surveying you all, maybe getting an idea of what it's like (I've heard something along the lines of "like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose at full blast").

GAR - Read the WYNTK book + scribes.
MCT - Read Lippincott's biochem + scribes (maybe a little cell bio if you've never seen it before).
PHD - Scribes
Neuro - hated it so have 0 recommendations.
First year study plan - stay up late the week or 2 leading to the exam and cram. Tests are every 4 weeks so you pretty much get 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I went to GAR lectures and a few in the other courses.

Second year required more intensive study time. I had a baby during the middle of it all so I am probably not the best for advice... but I made sure to know all the points in scribes and in First Aid and I've done fine. I think I've gone to maybe 3 lectures the whole year...

And don't buy a tablet... totally not worth it and its so much quicker to type on slides note sections than to write on anything.

I got my UsersM ID e-mailed to me last week. However, in order to get my password, I had to call them: (409)772-5200. You can call them there and from my experience, they'll help you with pretty much anything.

Thanks for the reply..I got the email with my user id, but had to call for the password.

It took me a minute to figure that one out too.. lol

It took me a minute to figure that one out too.. lol

Haha. For some reason, I don't think that this issue is limited to UTMB SDNers.

GAR - Read the WYNTK book + scribes.
MCT - Read Lippincott's biochem + scribes (maybe a little cell bio if you've never seen it before).
PHD - Scribes
Neuro - hated it so have 0 recommendations.
First year study plan - stay up late the week or 2 leading to the exam and cram. Tests are every 4 weeks so you pretty much get 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I went to GAR lectures and a few in the other courses.

Second year required more intensive study time. I had a baby during the middle of it all so I am probably not the best for advice... but I made sure to know all the points in scribes and in First Aid and I've done fine. I think I've gone to maybe 3 lectures the whole year...

And don't buy a tablet... totally not worth it and its so much quicker to type on slides note sections than to write on anything.

Yeah, I'm looking at just good ol' regular laptops from now on. Kind of a tossup between the Toshiba Satellite and the Dell Inspiron (my desktop is a Dell, and it's never let me down... but the Toshiba seems to have more bang for one's buck).

Thanks for all the other info, as well. I take it the scribe notes are pretty helpful, yes?

I thought we were supposed to get Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy? What's WYNTK?

Yeah, get Moore's for blue boxes. I went through What You Need To Know before tests and didn't really find it helpful. The material in it is from a few years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
when you say you're 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off for studying... do you mean that the 2 weeks off you don't even crack open a book......or do you mean you just study a few hours a day and then close to test time you cram like crazy all day?

What does "blue boxes" mean? (Maybe I should know this but I don't)

Is it Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy or Clinically Oriented Anatomy that ya'll use?

What is the newest eddition?

when you say you're 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off for studying... do you mean that the 2 weeks off you don't even crack open a book......or do you mean you just study a few hours a day and then close to test time you cram like crazy all day?

For the last 3 tests i haven't cracked a book the first 2 weeks. This last test all i did was pbl for 2 weeks didn't even watch lectures on tegrity. Let's just say I don't suggest trying that. Keeping up with lectures for the first 2 weeks and then cramming the last week and a half to 2 i think is the best method, or else you get crazy and anal about stuff. You need a breather.

What does "blue boxes" mean? (Maybe I should know this but I don't)

Is it Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy or Clinically Oriented Anatomy that ya'll use?

What is the newest eddition?

You should not be expected to know what that is already. We use MECA and blue boxes are clinical correlates of anatomy, its all the test on from the book.

So, a fat package full of student organization stuff came in today. Anyone else get it yet?

I'm pretty pleased with the Scribes price ($215 for the year); for a preview of all the upcoming material and whatnot, it seems like a steal... though I'm not complaining :laugh:. Looks like I'll be short $215 pretty soon now.

Last edited:
So, a fat package full of student organization stuff came in today. Anyone else get it yet?

I'm pretty pleased with the Scribes price ($215 for the year); for preview of all the upcoming material and whatnot, it seems like a steal... though I'm not complaining :laugh:. Looks like I'll be short $215 pretty soon now.
To current students: Are we "expected" to join at least one or two groups or is it completely up to us? Any of them especially worth joining?

To current students: Are we "expected" to join at least one or two groups or is it completely up to us? Any of them especially worth joining?

You're not expected to do anything with organizations. It is completely up to you. You might at least want to join either Student Surgical Society or Alliance in Internal Medicine, depending on what you think you are interested in.

Does anyone know if UTMB Welcome Weekend (August 22, Saturday) is the same thing as Quest or is Quest going to be on August 21, Friday? Or am I just way off?

I completely skipped through the immunizations requirements and I missed the part about getting the hepB shots and now it's June and I haven't gotten those yet. I'm getting the first immunization soon but since the whole process takes 4 mos I'm really scared it's going to mess with my enrollment process. Can anyone tell me if it will, since we don't see patients during our first two years anyways and if I start right now the whole process should be done by early October at the latest.

I would recommend going ahead and getting he Hep B series started, but honestly it shouldn't affect your enrollment process. I know this because I just finished my first year and haven't completed the Hep B immunizations.

Does anyone know if UTMB Welcome Weekend (August 22, Saturday) is the same thing as Quest or is Quest going to be on August 21, Friday? Or am I just way off?

Welcome Weekend is the same as Quest this year.

I recently accepted my financial aid awards via UTMB's fin. aid web portal. But I was curious about the the $3,000 loan that could supposedly be obtained for purchasing a computer (or whatever..). This option was not present on the financial aid web portal. Anyone know?

I recently accepted my financial aid awards via UTMB's fin. aid web portal. But I was curious about the the $3,000 loan that could supposedly be obtained for purchasing a computer (or whatever..). This option was not present on the financial aid web portal. Anyone know?

If you want it you have to ask the office about it. All it is is an extra 3k if you need it.

So is it necessary to have a laptop for UTMB? I currently have a desktop that works great so I would rather not have to get another computer if not truly necessary.

So is it necessary to have a laptop for UTMB? I currently have a desktop that works great so I would rather not have to get another computer if not truly necessary.

Hmm. That's a tough call. In all honest, you probably don't need a laptop. However, if you like to change up where you study (i.e. library or starbucks) its best to be portable. If you however, function just fine studying at home, then you should be okay.

I've found having a laptop to be especially useful during PBL sessions. It's a great way to look up things as you talk about them and you have instant access to a billion different sources. I'd feel really lost if I didn't have my computer during PBL and haven't been in a PBL where someone didn't use one.

I've found having a laptop to be especially useful during PBL sessions. It's a great way to look up things as you talk about them and you have instant access to a billion different sources. I'd feel really lost if I didn't have my computer during PBL and haven't been in a PBL where someone didn't use one.

Good point, i completely forgot about pbl. However, i know some ppl that just look off on someone else's laptop, if you wanna be one of those people lol.

Here's a question that I'm sure someone will be able to answer:

Do 802.11 b/g wireless cards work on campus? I know some places have funky requirements and whatnot...

Hey all,

I haven't been able to get my Spring 2009 transcript into enrollment services by May 30th. However, it will get there soon, will this be an issue?

Thanks

I am looking for a male roommate to live with this coming school year. I am planning on living on the island, preferably in one of the apt. complexes near campus. If anyone knows of anyone or themselves are looking, please send me a pm. Thanks!

Hey all,

I haven't been able to get my Spring 2009 transcript into enrollment services by May 30th. However, it will get there soon, will this be an issue?

Thanks

I have the same problem: my undergraduate institution is dragging their heels with getting the degree confirmation on our transcripts, telling us it'll take anywhere from 4-6 weeks (it's been about 5 or so).

UTMB's office told me that it shouldn't be a problem so long as we get it to them by late-July.

Oh. I guess here's another question:

Any major difference between Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy other than length? Do you recommend one over the other?

I have the same problem: my undergraduate institution is dragging their heels with getting the degree confirmation on our transcripts, telling us it'll take anywhere from 4-6 weeks (it's been about 5 or so).

UTMB's office told me that it shouldn't be a problem so long as we get it to them by late-July.

Thanks, that is good to know!

Oh. I guess here's another question:

Any major difference between Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy other than length? Do you recommend one over the other?

We used essential. The MCOA is longer and has stuff you don't need yet.

Has everyone found somewhere to live? Im having second thoughts of where I will be staying. I went to check out my apartment yesterday and it had two dead roaches in the kitchen..they were the small ones :eek: Does this mean the apartment is infested? Anyway, how about everyone reply with where they will be living in Galveston, so we can all get an idea of our living options. Thanks! Oh by the way my apartment is at the UTMB Ferry road apartment complex.

I recently put my deposit down for a place at the Port aux Princes. I think it will work out just fine.

Hey guys, I have a 2 bed 1 bath at casa caribe and I'm looking for a roomate. I'm a guy so I'd prefer a male roomate. The place is decently big and should work out to about $350 per month all bills included for each of us. Caribe is pretty close to campus and from what I can tell is where a lot of 1st years stay. If your interested just let me know asap. I'd really like to have the roomate thing figured out really soon.

Hey guys, I have a 2 bed 1 bath at casa caribe and I'm looking for a roomate. I'm a guy so I'd prefer a male roomate. The place is decently big and should work out to about $350 per month all bills included for each of us. Caribe is pretty close to campus and from what I can tell is where a lot of 1st years stay. If your interested just let me know asap. I'd really like to have the roomate thing figured out really soon.

wow....a few days late

look up a few posts, that's what i was looking for, a roommate for the 2x1 at casa caribe

i signed for the 1x1 at casa now...

I commute from La Marque (about 11 exits south of League City) and it takes me 25min each way. I've mostly used the time as "relax" time because my brain needs a break. Lately I have been preparing for Step 1 and listening to Goljan audio tapes. You'll learn a lot more about them 2nd year, and it is great to have that built in ~1hr to listen while you commute. League City is a much, much nicer area than anything you would find in Galveston - and you will have the option of doing your 3rd year entirely in Houston if you would want to move there then.
I'm in a similar position. My husband will be going to work in Houston so we need to find a decently priced place in between. Any suggestions on where to look or an apartment finder to contact?

To current: what are your opinions on smartphones/PDAs? Are they necessary, useful, required, etc. during the first two years?

Hey all,
I got accepted to UTMB this past week and I'm really amped to be going to school at UTMB. I was actually born at John Sealy so its a nice homecoming of sorts for me. :) Does anyone know what the important dates are for August? Like Orientation or the white coat ceremony?

Thanks,

Ponger

Hey all,
I got accepted to UTMB this past week and I'm really amped to be going to school at UTMB. I was actually born at John Sealy so its a nice homecoming of sorts for me. Does anyone know what the important dates are for August? Like Orientation or the white coat ceremony?
I believe the white coat ceremony is on august 24, which is also the first day of orientation. We also have to be there on august 22 for a mandatory social gathering.

To current: what are your opinions on smartphones/PDAs? Are they necessary, useful, required, etc. during the first two years?

They are useful to keep a schedule and check stuff online, but I dunno if I would consider them required, many people function well without them. I just happen not to be one of those people.

To those of you that have stayed in the UTMB Ferry Road apts., what are they like(condition, noise, size, etc)? We (me, my husband and my 9 mo old son) are thinking about getting a 3 bedroom there for the next 6-12 mo. Is this crazy? Are there other families that live there or is it all single students?

They seem so cheap compared to other 3 bedrooms on the island and it would be nice to save a little money this first year (my husband got laid off last December and has yet to find work).

Please let me know if this would be a big mistake for any reason.
Thanks

anyone have the contact info for Phi Rho Sigma? I had their number but I lost it.