BabyHuey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Well peeps I'm really thinking of going here come August and I thought I'd start this off. Any questions, comments, or whatever... just keep it coming.. I want to hear what everyone thinks.

pratik7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
VCU is a great education but parking/housing/crime rate around the school has me worried. Still waiting to hear back though and not sure where i will attend.

8-)

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
pratik7 said:
VCU is a great education but parking/housing/crime rate around the school has me worried. Still waiting to hear back though and not sure where i will attend.
:laugh: I really don't think "parking/housing/crime rate" are issues that warrant significant worry at VCU. You have to be careful no matter where you go to school...whether it be D.C., New York, Durham, St. Louis, Richmond, etc.

OP
B

BabyHuey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Hey anyone going to the "Second Look" on April 15-16?

Oh, by the way, you say that parking is tough, but hey I'm from L.A. and have gone to school in Philly, so I think Richmond should be quite manageable, and is quite a nice town in comparison. I really liked the riverwalk. Also, I'm sure most students live outside of the downtown area.

jeg5q

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Anyone coming to the second look weekend should PM. I am in grad school in Richmond and will be an M1 next year, we can organized a night out and show you a little of Richmond.

insistence

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2004
Status
8-) said:
:laugh: I really don't think "parking/housing/crime rate" are issues that warrant significant worry at VCU. You have to be careful no matter where you go to school...whether it be D.C., New York, Durham, St. Louis, Richmond, etc.
i'd have to agree with you. Anytime you're a city environment for school you should be very careful. I've been living here for about 1.5 years and haven't had nor heard of any problems with crime or housing. Parking, on the other hand, is lousy..PERIOD.

I'll also be starting here in August and I'm pretty excited! I'm trying to get in touch with a few 3rd and 4th years to get the scoop on the clinical years, which, I've heard are very strong. I'll make sure to pass on any info I can gather.

I'll be going to the Second Look weekend so I'll be seeing some of you there :)

vietstud101

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
Status
BabyHuey said:
Hey anyone going to the "Second Look" on April 15-16?
Where is the information for the second look weekend? My status page hasn't really changed/been updated in a while.

I got into VCU, but am not sure if I"m going there. Honestly for me, I"m split right down the middle between here and UVA.

insistence

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2004
Status
vietstud101 said:
Where is the information for the second look weekend? My status page hasn't really changed/been updated in a while.

I got into VCU, but am not sure if I"m going there. Honestly for me, I"m split right down the middle between here and UVA.
They just sent me a registration form (dated March 3rd) that we're to return so we can get the confirmation packet. I'm not sure if this info is on the website too..i'd guess that it isn't.

Congrats on UVA! I don't know if this means anything to you but a 4th year friend of mine left UVA (undergrad) to go to VCU. I'm not sure of the reason but take that for what you may. I'll make sure to ask him sometime soon.

OP
B

BabyHuey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
jeg5q said:
Anyone coming to the second look weekend should PM. I am in grad school in Richmond and will be an M1 next year, we can organized a night out and show you a little of Richmond.
Hey that sounds great. I don't know Richmond at all, and if I'm going there I'd like to know some of the cool hangouts. I'll be there April 15 to 16th. It would be nice to get more people together.

pratik7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
8-) said:
I agree. my undergrad was smack dab in the middle of atlanta. however, i have already been accepted to a school thati can walk to from where i would live. I think those factor are part of the larger picture of where you will be happy. Not to mention that VCU is 15000 more a year.

focus05

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
yoo - can we go to 2nd look wkend if we are on the waitlist? - im not on the waitlist (yet?) - but may be come march 21st ish:)

OP
B

BabyHuey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
SpiffyJWC said:
Anyone else from california thinking about (or planning to) head over to VCU this fall?
Hey dude, I'm from California, born and raised in L.A. all my life. I am definitely thinking of going to VCU/MCV this August and I'm actually pretty excited. Goes to show you that even us Cali peeps can make it into an out of state school. Ciao. :cool:

medfish

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
Hello!

I'm also from So. Cal and right now VCU is perhaps my top choice program to go to, although moving there would be pretty expensive (but def. worth it).

Anyhow, I have a followup question as well - I've been accepted since last September, but have not been notified through email or changes in the status page regarding what to expect next about registration, confirmation packet...etc. I've already done everything there is to do under the matriculation page. So....was just wondering if I should be receiving something more informative about the start of Fall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jeg5q

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
medfish said:
Hello!

I'm also from So. Cal and right now VCU is perhaps my top choice program to go to, although moving there would be pretty expensive (but def. worth it).

Anyhow, I have a followup question as well - I've been accepted since last September, but have not been notified through email or changes in the status page regarding what to expect next about registration, confirmation packet...etc. I've already done everything there is to do under the matriculation page. So....was just wondering if I should be receiving something more informative about the start of Fall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I haven't gotten anything as of yet. I did call and was told that orientation will start August 8th and classes begin a week later August 15th. Hope this helps, see you this fall.

medfish

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
Thanks, that does help a lot. I also called admissions yesterday and was told that there should be an orientation website up and running on the 25th (today)... but last time I checked nothing's been added. Let's keep the thread updated if anyone receives anything official.

Best

jeg5q said:
I haven't gotten anything as of yet. I did call and was told that orientation will start August 8th and classes begin a week later August 15th. Hope this helps, see you this fall.

uclabruin725

Average Fella
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
They'll eventually get that orientation website going, and that should have a few other forms and such for you to fill out.
I think they will also have another message board strictly for matriculants so that everyone can get in contact with one another... You should get an email notification once the website goes online.
As long as you've taken care of everything on the admissions page, then you should be able to sit back and wait for the orientation stuff to come in.

Jul 3, 2009
Status
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this thread....

I was having dinner with someone who is VCU's pharmacy class '09 who told me that her tuition is around $26k a year (not including books). Is this correct ? I played with the vcu tuition calculator and it quoted the tuiton at $11k.

Anybody know ?

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]