Official Vent About Biochem Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravellinDoc

So very very tired.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else taking Biochem this summer? I'm at UW taking Biochem and it SUCKS!!!! 3 hours/class twice a week for a month. Talk about hell (all the while working 40 hrs a week). Just needed to find others to vent about it. Suffering through other intense courses this summer? Feel free to bitch!
TD

Members don't see this ad.

I am a biochem major at UW, if you take 507 and 508 you get the guys who wrote the book everyone uses in the country. SUmmer would not be fun, but biochem is still great.

I can tell you how to get access to old tests online if you PM me...

Members don't see this ad :)
We had 12 hrs/wk for six weeks! :sleep:

I remember being up at 4am wishing I could go to sleep and crying because I wasn't understanding insulin and signal transduction pathways. And the book's margins were so small it took about 20-30 mins to read ONE page!!!

Good luck! You'll be glad when it's all over...

adamj61 said:
I am a biochem major at UW, if you take 507 and 508 you get the guys who wrote the book everyone uses in the country. SUmmer would not be fun, but biochem is still great.

Heh, not everyone.

Voet teaches at Penn

I used Lehninger which is by Nelson and Cox, which I guess is what you used, since I just looked in my book and saw that they teach at UW. It's a good book, especially for metabolism, but the Nucleic acid info is lacking. Voet and Voet has much more information and you'd think it would be better, but it's not an easy read for students. Neither have enough mechanisms :(

Biochemistry = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

chicagomel said:
We had 12 hrs/wk for six weeks! :sleep:

I remember being up at 4am wishing I could go to sleep and crying because I wasn't understanding insulin and signal transduction pathways. And the book's margins were so small it took about 20-30 mins to read ONE page!!!

Good luck! You'll be glad when it's all over...

Thanks for the sympathy. Damn, 12 hrs/ week? Holy crap! I seriously couldn't do that. Were you doing an intensive year long course? I'm only taking the first quarter (cuz that's the minimum . . . no use going over, am i right?).
TD

No, they just cram a semester's worth of work into 6 weeks at Loyola. It was only worth 3 hrs! Believe me, I would have done 4 weeks if it meant getting out faster. I thought it was really interesting, though, and wished we had more time to spend on the material.

We used:
Biochemistry by Jeremy Mark Berg, Lubert Stryer, John L. Tymoczko

Hi

I am taking Biochemistry this semester. My teacher is giving concept questions and I am not really getting them. I don't know what to do. I try my best to study for the class and I am feeling so helpless. I am at FSU. Anyone out there have any idea? Please let me know or a good website where I can practice biochem concept questions.

Thankyou

Y'all are lucky. We have to take Biochem TWICE! Once as a 4-week long super-course for our 210 sequence (we don't even have a 100-level biology class) and then again for a nine-week course. So we have two books -- Horton's Principles of Biochem AND Lehinger's Principles of Biochem.

This might sound like a stupid question but:
Are you reading the text?

Even though you're taking notes, it's still critical to do a close read.

----
I ask this because there were three guys last summer that were dumbfounded when I recapitulated something from the text. One of them piped up and asked, "You mean you're reading the book?"

The funny part is that they didn't even have jobs and could spend all day on the material!!! :smuggrin: ----

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/biochem5/

Check out this website. I hope it helps. Good luck!

I'm in a 4 week course at UCCS. 4 days/week for 2.5 hrs although we're usually done early cuz of how fast our prof talks. I'm not finding it that awful yet thankfully. I'm finding reading the chapter before class, taking the notes at lightning fast speed, and then going back through it all that night with the book the most helpful. We're using the Berg, Tymoczko, and Stryer book.

personally, I'm just reading everything before class at work (in between patients . . . stupid patients, don't they know i'm studying?) then taking notes in class and reviewing. I guess my suggestion to myfavred is to get a couple people from class to form a study group. that always works for me. Ok, back to work!
TD