**** Official Western University Acceptance Thread c/o 2014****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoidprocess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone, and my future classmates! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Loved the school, and the students there! I can't wait to make the move to SoCal! :D

The day has finally arrived. I'm so exited! I loved my interview experience at Western. I look forward to seeing you guys. We are going to be using the brand new facility too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get a call and plan on attending?

hey, congratulations everyone! We are all excited to see more dental people on campus next year in our new facilities :) if any of you have any questions feel free to PM me about anything!

Congrats everyone! Thanks for the offer Kyle, I am sure something will come up! Words can't describe the feeling that I have right now (I am sure I am not alone). I can't wait to meet my future classmates!

I'm so excited right now. Wish we could start sooner than August.

I am so excited to start! I hope the next 8 months go by fast!

Congratulations everyone!!!.... did anyone else from the group that interviewed on Nov 9th got in???
Can't wait to start.... So, what are you guys planning to do until August?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview experience was wonderful! Everyone was so friendly and seemed really happy to be there.Really looking forward to the environment!

Congrats everyone!!! Looking forward to meeting you soon! :D

Has anybody received their acceptance letter in the mail? I was told I would receive a packet in the mail. Just to make sure that I was not dreaming when I received the call. :)

I was feeling the same way Rowsdower.....I received my letter today!!! Check yours....

I hope to get mine then today too. Where are you from Croix?

I know this thread is for accepted students only but I just have to say that I am so jealous of you! I was so impressed with the school, people, mission, buildings, etc. at my interview on Dec. 2 that Western became my top choice. I liked the other schools I interviewed at but I have seriously not wanted anything more in my life (other than that sweet ghostbusters proton pack I got when I was seven) than an acceptance from them. Congratulations you all must be special because I know the adcoms are looking for specific people, hopefully I will be lucky enough to be your classmate one day!

I hope I recieve my packet in the mail today!! There are some awesome people on facebook that have been helpful with answering my questions! SO i highly recommend joining if you guys are interested!

bump

Last edited:
I know this thread is for accepted students only but I just have to say that I am so jealous of you! I was so impressed with the school, people, mission, buildings, etc. at my interview on Dec. 2 that Western became my top choice. I liked the other schools I interviewed at but I have seriously not wanted anything more in my life (other than that sweet ghostbusters proton pack I got when I was seven) than an acceptance from them. Congratulations you all must be special because I know the adcoms are looking for specific people, hopefully I will be lucky enough to be your classmate one day!

I hope you make it in too. I remember the dental students extending a warm welcome. Even the medical students were very friendly. I recall at another school there was animosity btw the two programs. It seems like one big happy family at Western. But like all schools we will obviously have our share of difficult students.

This wont hurt at all but maybe it will help. I wrote a thankyou letter to each faculty that interviewed me. (C/O interviewers name in the letter) Because they will be speaking on your behalf. So you may want to consider this. Just a breif statement comfirming your intentions to contribute to their program etc..

I got a few questions maybe someone can answer for me. Is everyone going to get their own chair ( since it's a new facility and all)? How is the patient scheduling going to be done? We doing it ourselves like at USC or we going to have people handling scheduling like at UDM?

I'm not sure about the scheduling (honestly it never even occurred to me to ask our faculty), but everyone will have their own chair in the clinic. They did say something one time about how if you've had 5 endo patients and the guy next to you has had 1, they're going to give the other guy some endo patients and give you a rest on it so that everyone gets an equal amount of experience with each kind of procedure. I'll try to remember to ask them this week about the scheduling and get back to you.

Anyone from the October 5th interview date get in or still waiting to hear?

congratulations to the incoming class. We are looking forward to meeting you all and having more dental students on campus! We move into our brand new facility in a few weeks!

congratulations to the incoming class. We are looking forward to meeting you all and having more dental students on campus! We move into our brand new facility in a few weeks!

You should let us know what you think when it does open. I hope to make a trip down there before moving and decide on housing and of course to visit the campus again :)

Yes, as rowsdower said, let us know how it goes! Looking forward to BRAND new facilities...

Is anyone else still waiting for his or her acceptance packet? Still haven't received mine yet. Hopefully it'll come today.

Hello Future Classmates,
I live 60 miles away from school and was wondering whether Western offers recorded lecture that I can use instead of attending lectures everyday. Does the schedule permit attending classes every other day and supplement that with recorded lectures or there are labs everyday, in which case I have to make the drive everyday? I hate missing classes, but I think it's very tiring to drive close to 4 hours every day. We just purchased a house in the South Bay, so I do not have the option of living close to the school.
I look forward to attending Western, but the distance has made me think about it twice.
How is the schedule of classes? Are you in class everyday from 8-5?

All suggestions are appreciated as well as needed.

Hello Future Classmates,
I live 60 miles away from school and was wondering whether Western offers recorded lecture that I can use instead of attending lectures everyday. Does the schedule permit attending classes every other day and supplement that with recorded lectures or there are labs everyday, in which case I have to make the drive everyday? I hate missing classes, but I think it's very tiring to drive close to 4 hours every day. We just purchased a house in the South Bay, so I do not have the option of living close to the school.
I look forward to attending Western, but the distance has made me think about it twice.

I'll take your spot! :laugh:

Hello Future Classmates,

To be honest, the majority of students do not attend class. There is a great online webcasting program that most of us watch. However, we are required to attend all dental classes which are usually on Tues/Thurs.

For the first part of this term (when we had Gross Anatomy and Head and Neck), we had lab every other morning depending on if you were in the A group or B group. Lectures were in the late morning/early afternoon and were recorded. Dental classes are not recorded and we had those once or twice a week during that time. Now that we're in MCBM all of our lectures are recorded and we have dental classes once or twice a week. It will be that way 2nd year too. Our time in the clinic will pick up second term and for sure next year, so we'll be required to be on campus likely every day at that point. There are plenty of students who commute and are fine with it, and many more who moved to be closer. You should be able to make it work, from what they have told me.

Thanks whoaaitzkyle and Just Peachy for your replies. Knowing that the majority of students don't attend lectures makes me feel better.
Just Peachy, are you saying that after the first two years, or when clinic rotations resume, students have to be on-campus everyday. I always thought it's the other way around: I heard from other dental students that after the first two years, everything starts slowing down and studying is much less intense. Maybe, it is just in regard to how much time students spend studying.
I was hesitant to contact the Office of Admission and ask them the question regarding attendance, as I am sure they will tell me attendance is mandatory. It's always the best to hear it first-hand from students who are attending the school. I, honestly, can't justify class attendance, when all lectures are recorded. I think my time will be much better spent studying the materials at home. I am certain attendance in all the classes is required. Do you guys have to sign in in any of the non-dental classes?

Thanks again and can't wait til August 2010 :).

In the last two years, we switch to mostly clinical courses. Our clinic is on campus, and I am under the impression that we'll be there every day in the 3rd year (and most days in the 2nd) to work on patients and do our clinical courses. Essentially, they bring the specialties to us for us to learn. 4th year we'll basically just be working and you can do it wherever. I think only 3rd year (and maybe some of the 2nd) may be a pain for you, commute wise. Study-wise, it's intense the first two years, then tapers off 3rd, and is almost non existent 4th year. Other Western students, if you've heard anything different please post a correction! We don't have to sign in at our dental classes, but with a class of 75 and a partner in the sim clinic, they know if you're there or not.

I don't think it would be a problem to call or email or something explaining your commute and asking about how the attendance will work in the 2nd-4th years (since Kyle and I have told you how 1st year works).

Just Peachy, I really appreciate your help. I did call them this afternoon, but nobody answered. I left a message for Diana and Hazelle. I will also email them, in case, they prefer emails. Thanks again and good luck with finals :).

Just Peachy, I really appreciate your help. I did call them this afternoon, but nobody answered. I left a message for Diana and Hazelle. I will also email them, in case, they prefer emails. Thanks again and good luck with finals :).

hazelle is awesome! One of our faculty's main job is to find community partnerships (more commonly termed as "externships") for our 4th year. I'm assuming we're going to be working in the new clinic the first 3 years and the 4 year they want us to go out into the community and work in private practices to get all the aspects of dentistry (not just the operator part).

Hazelle is awesome! She is always there when I need her.

Is that what our 4th year will primarily be composed of, externships?

Hello,

Congrats to all! Can't wait to move to SoCal.

I was wondering if the current students can give some input on apartments. I heard Pomona is not a good/safe place to live. However, the surrounding towns are really nice. I was wondering if we can get some names of complexes that are near by and fairly nice.

Also, about computers. Can we use a Mac?

Thanks!!

So you don't have to run Bootcamp with windows?

Hello,

Congrats to all! Can't wait to move to SoCal.

I was wondering if the current students can give some input on apartments. I heard Pomona is not a good/safe place to live. However, the surrounding towns are really nice. I was wondering if we can get some names of complexes that are near by and fairly nice.

Also, about computers. Can we use a Mac?

Thanks!!

Claremont, Rancho Cucamonga, Chino Hills, Upland, and parts of Ontario are nice. In Upland, Broadstone Foothills, Rancho Monte Vista, and College Park are all very nice and a lot of students live there. Not sure about the other towns.

Anyone else waiting for their acceptance packet from Western? I called and was told it could be stuck in the mail somewhere. Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks!

I have not had to use windows on my mac during this 1st semester. Next semester mac users will have to get windows to run a few programs from what I hear. You can use bootcamp for free or run parallels. Either one is fine.

I haven't received any packet yet either, just an acceptance letter.

Anyone who already sent deposit got confirmation email/mail?