Official Worries About Medicine Thread ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted804295

List worries you have about medicine every once in a while, to keep posts discreet feel free to use spoilers.

Every once in a while I think about the lifestyle doctors lead and it scares me. Hours upon hours at the hospital spent away from family and loved ones scares me.

I sometimes tell myself that if I get through the admissions process I'll choose a less competitive residency that will aid in my lifestyle choices of having a family. How do you guys cope with the idea of spending so much time away from family?

Edit: changed title from doubts to worries! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
is that why investment banking is your backup career choice?

is that why investment banking is your backup career choice?
Probably. Business Law used to be one of my backups if you look at some of my earlier threads. Primarily because I have exposure to the field and I was interested in it but also due to the flexibility in hours. I backed away from law as one of my backups because the market is saturated with lawyers.

I would say not including military, medicine happens to be the least flexible of all fields when it comes to hours because your service is needed.

Being a woman, I have a lot on my shoulders when it comes to child rearing and I think my post history reflects that. Some paths are a lot more flexible with hours e.g. private practice psychiatry but most hospital based paths are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scared of germs. I am particularly scared of getting sick in medical school.

I got horribly sick once with a bad pneumonia and then had to drop a bunch of classes because even after I got out of the hospital, I would get very short of breath walking short distances which became quite problematic with my lab periods and walking to the building from whatever car-accessible place my best friend, mother or the public safety people was able to drop me off. I was really lucky to have them and they were the only reason I was able to give it my best try.

I have had a moderate fear of germs ever since because I really worry about said interactions with my schoolwork if I get really sick with an infectious illness again. I got vaccinated for pneumonia after that incident, but worry there could be something else, like a flu strain not covered by the annual flu vaccine. Something like that happening in medical school would be really bad because of the obscene volume of material as such that I couldn't miss 3-4 days to be in the hospital. I then worry I am not tough enough for the milder not feeling good like that incident with my chest pain/shortness of breath after getting out of the hospital with pneumonia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I've shadowed several specialties at this point and the only one I've liked and wanted to return to up to this point was pediatrics. Some I was indifferent about and others I couldn't stand. Worries me a bit about having to do rotations through most of these fields in med school. Luckily pediatrics doesn't seem to be very difficult to match to so I'm not worried specialty wise.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm scared of germs. I am particularly scared of getting sick in medical school.

I got horribly sick once with a bad pneumonia and then had to drop a bunch of classes because even after I got out of the hospital, I would get very short of breath walking short distances which became quite problematic with my lab periods and walking to the building from whatever car-accessible place my best friend, mother or the public safety people was able to drop me off. I was really lucky to have them and they were the only reason I was able to give it my best try.

I have had a moderate fear of germs ever since because I really worry about said interactions with my schoolwork if I get really sick with an infectious illness again. I got vaccinated for pneumonia after that incident, but worry there could be something else, like a flu strain not covered by the annual flu vaccine. Something like that happening in medical school would be really bad because of the obscene volume of material as such that I couldn't miss 3-4 days to be in the hospital. I then worry I am not tough enough for the milder not feeling good like that incident with my chest pain/shortness of breath after getting out of the hospital with pneumonia.
I'm so sorry you suffered that and had to drop classes over it! Getting sick is really tough especially when you are trying to study. I fell ill with a small cold this past finals season and I could hardly bring myself to study I can't imagine how bad it would be with pneumonia! I'll send prayers your way to alleviate you from the stress of it.

Do you easily fall sick or was this just one case of pneumonia? If it was just one case I'm sure it won't happen again and advise you against worrying :).

I've shadowed several specialties at this point and the only one I've liked and wanted to return to up to this point was pediatrics. Some I was indifferent about and others I couldn't stand. Worries me a bit about having to do rotations through most of these fields in med school. Luckily pediatrics doesn't seem to be very difficult to match to so I'm not worried specialty wise.
Many students end up changing their passions after rotations. Be open to all ideas! I'm sure you will enjoy your rotations.

That thought that I might not become a pediatric neurosurgeon. /s

As a female, I worry quite a bit about wasting the best years of my fertility in school/residency not attempting to have children. My parents struggled with infertility and I have watched many friends struggle as well. It is devastating. The only thing I want in life more than being a physician is to be a mom. I know the two are not mutually exclusive but sometimes I worry.

Reactions: 11 users
Probably. Business Law used to be one of my backups if you look at some of my earlier threads. Primarily because I have exposure to the field and I was interested in it but also due to the flexibility in hours. I backed away from law as one of my backups because the market is saturated with lawyers.

I would say not including military, medicine happens to be the least flexible of all fields when it comes to hours because your service is needed.

Being a woman, I have a lot on my shoulders when it comes to child rearing and I think my post history reflects that. Some paths are a lot more flexible with hours e.g. private practice psychiatry but most hospital based paths are not.

Investment banking hours are pretty tough too especially for more junior bankers.

If the deal has to close by a certain date, you have to work the hours to make that happen.

There is also a lot of travel involved too.

As a female, I worry quite a bit about wasting the best years of my fertility in school/residency not attempting to have children. My parents struggled with infertility and I have watched many friends struggle as well. It is devastating. The only thing I want in life more than being a physician is to be a mom. I know the two are not mutually exclusive but sometimes I worry.
It's tough isn't it? The generation of women ahead of us of career women had maximum 1 child due to spending their fertile years attaining careers.

I want more than a single child and I wish there were a guidebook for women who can't be housewives but also want children with careers.

I wish people talked about this more in the context of medicine but everywhere I turn there are no clear answers because career women are a relatively new phenomena in history.

I've considered going straight PhD and foregoing the MD. I even had a few offers this past year to do just that. Ultimately, I still think I made the right choice going the MD/PhD route, career-wise, for me, but sometimes I worry about maintaining current levels of work intensity or higher for 14-15 more years until potential independence.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Heavy heavy fear of missing out
Even right now during the simple pre-med process (compared to med school), seeing others that are majoring in different areas and what they are able to do with their time makes me pretty jealous sometimes.
Thinking about med school itself and what I'll be sacrificing in order to pursue becoming a doctor.

I agree with you on the family thing. I grew up in a VERY family oriented household where we did a lot together and spending an incredibly large amount of time away from them is definitely going to be challenging.

Lastly, and the most prominent, simply just not being good enough. Probably the one that freaks me out of the most. Not getting the MCAT score that'll make me competitive, not getting an interview, not getting accepted etc. etc.

I want this more than anything but these are the thoughts that usually run through my head lol

I agree with you on the family thing. I grew up in a VERY family oriented household where we did a lot together and spending an incredibly large amount of time away from them is definitely going to be challenging

It doesn’t have to be forever. I have worked with and know plenty of docs who have plenty of time for family. In a lot of specialties, the people spending all their time away from family are choosing to do so.

my fear is getting only into a family med residency

Don't wait! Have kids in school or residency, whenever is the right time for you and your partner.

Reactions: 2 users
Being a physician is my number one choice of reasonable careers ( I would love to own an NFL team and watch them play at gigs while flying a multi-millionaire dollar jet around. I don't really have any doubts about medicine. I will try my hardest and see where it goes.

Don't wait! Have kids in school or residency, whenever is the right time for you and your partner.
As nice as that would be isn't it true that fellow residents have to pick up on work that women can't do because of pregnancy? I've also seen some posters on SDN complain about female residents on maternity leave or very pregnant women who can't do as much work. :(

Unfortunately the world doesn't stop for pregnant mothers and unlike men we have to carefully plan out our pregnancies or risk chastisement or failure.

I'm beginning to think my patients hate me as much as I hate them

Reactions: 5 users

This is a joke but kinda true. Difficult patients and especially annoying parents of usually children patients. Had a probably single mom basically tell me to F off today when volunteering. Go get pancreatic cancer lady ;)

What an absurdly irresponsible comment.

As nice as that would be isn't it true that fellow residents have to pick up on work that women can't do because of pregnancy? I've also seen some posters on SDN complain about female residents on maternity leave or very pregnant women who can't do as much work. :(
Yes that's accurate. That being said people who complain about reasonably helping out a colleague (and friend, usually) should be taken out back and forced to reapply every splint in the hospital.

As a pre-med, I take it one day at a time. I don't necessarily think about the endpoint. As a college student, there's a lot of materialism around me. At my core, I simply want to devote myself to a journey - a long and arduous process that keeps me soul searching. Don't be like Gatsby and idolize the green light, find happiness in a process that challenges you.
Also, I'm kind of an introvert and I worry about not being able to be the best communicator. I see other people - especially nurses - during volunteering, and they're just so affable. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two from them.

Reactions: 4 users
There's also some great books out there that'll show you the dark side to medicine. I recommend:

Intern: A Doctor's Initiation - Sandeep Jauhar
Doctored: The Disillusionment of an American Physician - Sandeep Jauhar
When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi
Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End - Atul Gawande

Books like these will introduce you to some of the most thoughtful and astute commentary on medicine. It's not all sunshine and roses and these authors are clear and upfront about that. Nevertheless, all of them convey how they persist and find beauty in this great profession.

Your posts never cease to make me laugh. I'll have to unfortunately withhold my like for professional reasons but if there were a laugh reaction I want you to know you would get one.

Your posts never cease to make me laugh. I'll have to unfortunately withhold my like for professional reasons but if there were a laugh reaction I want you to know you would get one.

What? What professional reasons? You literally just responded and said you laughed at his post.

I’m afraid about failing comlex 1.

I’m afraid about failing Step 1.

I’m afraid about failing comlex 2-CK.

I’m afraid about failing comlex 2-CS.

I’m afraid about failing Step 2-CK.

I’m afraid about not graduating medical school.

I’m afraid about not matching.

I’m afraid about failing comlex 3.

I’m afraid about failing specialty boards.

I’m afraid about Physician compensation going down to the point I can’t reasonably pay off my loans and earn a fair amount for my education, training, and sacrifice.

I’m afraid of not having a child.

List doubts you have about medicine every once in a while, to keep posts discreet feel free to use spoilers.

Every once in a while I think about the lifestyle doctors lead and it scares me. Hours upon hours at the hospital spent away from family and loved ones scares me.

I sometimes tell myself that if I get through the admissions process I'll choose a less competitive residency that will aid in my lifestyle choices of having a family. How do you guys cope with the idea of spending so much time away from family?
I just realize the career is what you make of it. Hardly any 6 figure career is 40hrs per week. Appreciate that you've chosen a path you enjoy.

• My fears are actually the opposite of many other women in this thread lol. I actually don’t want children, and I’m scared of being the only resident/attending in the program who doesn’t have kids.
  • I am worried that I won’t make friends in medical school.
  • I’m scared that if I choose medicine I’ll have to give up my hobbies.

• My fears are actually the opposite of many other women in this thread lol. I actually don’t want children, and I’m scared of being the only resident/attending in the program who doesn’t have kids.
  • I am worried that I won’t make friends in medical school.
  • I’m scared that if I choose medicine I’ll have to give up my hobbies.

Are you posting this in character as the NeighborhoodCatLady?

I think you’re over thinking this.
I think some of the adcom posts of students getting emails from their med schools to knock it off scared me.

We weren't told how the students were posting so I just tend to keep it professional here regardless of the setting.

I think some of the adcom posts of students getting emails from their med schools to knock it off scared me.

We weren't told how the students were posting so I just tend to keep it professional here regardless of the setting.

Where did you find these adcom posts?

I know an M2 who’s taking a few months off before M3 to have her baby. It can be possible if you really want it!

An accident leading to a patient death and the ensuing legal action

Where did you find these adcom posts?

Idk, ask @Goro he has talked about it before.
The now famous "rescindment of November" happened because an acceptee went loose cannon on FB, in a FB group for that school's accepttes).

I've had PMs from acceptees and med students who got called onto the carpet for being too transparent and/or loose cannon on SDN, and were spotted by thier schools.

My own school has a social media policy not just for students, but for Faculty as well. If I go rouge and my deans figure out who I am, then they could call me onto the carpet!

In fact, I once got called onto the carpet by my dean. I wasn't told what the offence was, other than "a complaint", but for something like a day I was scared ****less that it was over SDN.

It turned out to be something really stupid and trivial concerning our SMP students.

No doubts about medicine in general, as I'm more sure now than ever that it's where I'm supposed to be. I do worry about choosing the right field. I envy my classmates who have known what they wanted to do from day 1. In M1 and M2 you are completely pluripotent and can be whatever you want, but in the next few months I'm going to have to pick something and more or less commit to it for the rest of my life. That's some pressure!

Reactions: 8 users

Unfortunately the world doesn't stop for pregnant mothers and unlike men we have to carefully plan out our pregnancies or risk chastisement or failure.
...why do you think this is limited to residents? Frequently it will be worse as an attending. Generally there is a larger pool of residents in the average program than in a group practice it in the real world in a given specialty.

In residency most programs are going to have the pregnant resident make up all their calls and night float and service time before or after leave. This can still make things annoying for other residents in smaller programs and programs without much elective time as they will take call more frequently and might have to rearrange their service time while the resident is out. In big programs and night float only (no call) programs it really won't be noticeable at all to other residents. In the end everybody does the same amount of work and sometimes the pregnant resident does more because they make up the calls from leave and also take additional call during their make up time at the end.

Out in the real world your partners will be taking call without you. If you are in a three person group, your two partners are going to be covering all the calls 24/7 while you are out. There are no three person total residencies but there are tons of three person private practice groups. In an RVU/eat what you kill system your partners may make more money, but they have no choice and may not want to work more to make more money. If salaried, your partners will be making the same money doing more work. Two person group? Your partner is covering 24/7!

Obviously this all varies greatly by specialty. Some specialties your are in house for all calls and others you actually get called once a month even if on call every night and nobody cares if they are taking extra call. Internal medicine in a large academic center? There could be dozens of attendings and a bigger call pool than many surgical residencies.

Fourth year of medical school is really the sweet spot that avoid all of this but things don't always work out as planned. Sorry to point this out but having kids in training is not irresponsible.

...why do you think this is limited to residents? Frequently it will be worse as an attending. Generally there is a larger pool of residents in the average program than in a group practice it in the real world in a given specialty.

In residency most programs are going to have the pregnant resident make up all their calls and night float and service time before or after leave. This can still make things annoying for other residents in smaller programs and programs without much elective time as they will take call more frequently and might have to rearrange their service time while the resident is out. In big programs and night float only (no call) programs it really won't be noticeable at all to other residents. In the end everybody does the same amount of work and sometimes the pregnant resident does more because they make up the calls from leave and also take additional call during their make up time at the end.

Out in the real world your partners will be taking call without you. If you are in a three person group, your two partners are going to be covering all the calls 24/7 while you are out. There are no three person total residencies but there are tons of three person private practice groups. In an RVU/eat what you kill system your partners may make more money, but they have no choice and may not want to work more to make more money. If salaried, your partners will be making the same money doing more work. Two person group? Your partner is covering 24/7!

Obviously this all varies greatly by specialty. Some specialties your are in house for all calls and others you actually get called once a month even if on call every night and nobody cares if they are taking extra call. Internal medicine in a large academic center? There could be dozens of attendings and a bigger call pool than many surgical residencies.

Fourth year of medical school is really the sweet spot that avoid all of this but things don't always work out as planned. Sorry to point this out but having kids in training is not irresponsible.
Thanks for this! Would you consider there to be times when women should not consider children at all e.g. MS3 during rotations or PGY-1? I've heard those are rough years.

Also, I'm kind of an introvert and I worry about not being able to be the best communicator. I see other people - especially nurses - during volunteering, and they're just so affable. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two from them.

FWIW this is a learned skill that becomes much easier with practice for a lot of us, I wouldn't stress about it too much. As with a lot of parts of medical training you just have to fake it 'til you make it.

FWIW this is a learned skill that becomes much easier with practice for a lot of us, I wouldn't stress about it too much. As with a lot of parts of medical training you just have to fake it 'til you make it.

This. I’m an introvert too, but I have gotten real good at being emotive and really open and friendly with patients. It’s just a skill you learn if you don’t already have it.

Reactions: 4 users
Lifestyle and balancing family life and med school seem to be on everyone's mind... I just saw a video (link below) on youtube where a MD student discussed lifestyle in med school. It made me feel much better and I think you all should watch that too. The guy is 3rd or 4th year student and he said he wakes up every morning around 10, goes to gym, eats, and starts studying around noon. Studies for 5-6 hours and then maybe a couple of extra hours in the evening (class attendance not mandatory and he advices NOT to go to class). He just got his step 1 score back and he scored 257 so he's no dummy.

As a woman, I have my fears too when it comes to having children and becoming a doctor. I've never understood the mindset that you have to choose having kids versus med school. To me, it's all about time management and ability to study efficiently. I have a 3.9 undergrad GPA and I have so much free time even after my ECs that it's ridiculous. At the same time, there are people who say their undergrad years were the worst because in order to maintain a 3.9, they had no life. Now someone's gonna come and say that the other undergrad institution might have really tough grading etc. That's not my point. I guarantee you there are people who can have both, good undergrad GPA and life, or medical career and life, without having to give up half of your heart and/or become depressed/bitter due to their career choice. Also, some MD students I've met (some here on SDN too) say that med school is easier than undergrad, because you're studying what you love and the material isn't more difficult, there's just more of it. That statement supports my point that having a good family life while being a MD student is all about time management and study skills.

I'm not a MD student so obviously I don't have personal experience on this. I just wanted to give my 2 cents because there seems to be so many people (all of them online, of course...) who say that it is impossible to have a family while studying to become a doctor. I replied to a thread a while ago about mom doctors, and my point is still very much valid. I told how the surgeons I've known (for a few years now in my hospital's surgery department) - even the lady surgeons - definitely can balance family life and work. None of the surgeons (again, including ladies) have ever said that they don't feel like they know their children or that they work their life away. Naturally, you'll miss some events but missing your cousin's wedding is not the same thing as missing every single wedding, funeral, birthday, graduation etc...

Here's the video I was talking about:

It's tough isn't it? The generation of women ahead of us of career women had maximum 1 child due to spending their fertile years attaining careers.

I want more than a single child and I wish there were a guidebook for women who can't be housewives but also want children with careers.

I wish people talked about this more in the context of medicine but everywhere I turn there are no clear answers because career women are a relatively new phenomena in history.
You can have multiple children and still have a successful career. The secret is less than 8 weeks of maternal leave and a life-long membership at a superb daycare.

You are only limited by how badly you want both a medical career and a large family. Men can't have babies. Can't do anything about that. You need a committed spouse who shares your desire and commitment. Wife and I are both physicians. Had our first when she was a resident and I a junior attending. She had fairly regular daylight hours and we scheduled call so we were never on call the same day. We hired a full time nanny. When kids were school age, she went to work full time. Nanny came before and after school.Expensive? Yes. Hard work? H@#$ yes. I had them full time on weekends and often post call. It is certainly possible to do it, but you can't be afraid of the work. Youngest is a PGY1 now
So it can be done!
Best wishes and Good Luck!

As a pre-med, I take it one day at a time. I don't necessarily think about the endpoint. As a college student, there's a lot of materialism around me. At my core, I simply want to devote myself to a journey - a long and arduous process that keeps me soul searching. Don't be like Gatsby and idolize the green light, find happiness in a process that challenges you.
I'm an extrovert, and it's still taken a fair amount of practice to build my skills in professional communication. Being extroverted doesn't preclude one from saying dumb things, getting nervous, or having awkward moments either lol. Many of the most likable people I've met are very skilled socially have needed significant downtime by themselves too.

It's more about the skillset you develop, ratherthan extroversion versus introversion.

Why would you consider ibanking over medicine if medicine didn't pan out tho? Conceptually they're very different fields with very different overall workdays

Why would you consider ibanking over medicine if medicine didn't pan out tho? Conceptually they're very different fields with very different overall workdays
Because it makes good money. I haven't explored many careers besides medicine so my plan Bs are all based on money alone.