****Official WVSOM Class of 2009 Thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BooneDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck everyone and can't wait to meet you all in the beautiful Greenbriar valley next August!

Boonedoc (Michael Bowling)

Members don't see this ad.

BooneDoc said:
Good luck everyone and can't wait to meet you all in the beautiful Greenbriar valley next August!

Boonedoc (Michael Bowling)

Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I'm a senior undergrad and I've recently been accepted into WVSOM. I have interviewed at some other schools and depending on where I get accepted/declined I will have to make some tough decisions. I was wondering if anyone could answer a few of my questions. Is anyone who checks this forum a WVSOM out of stater, particularly from the northeast coast, and how has your experience been? What states are most of the WVSOM students from? What is your social life at WVSOM like, if it exists? Were you intitially turned off by the location? Will it be difficult to pay back the loans as a doc? Is WVSOM competetive in boards and residencies? What areas can you go to for 3rd and 4th year? Thanks everyone!

I thought I should probably mention the context of my questions. I liked WVSOM when I visited. The people were incredibly nice and the place was also very beautiful. I think I am under a lot of stress about where what my future will be like, and I'm worried about every little aspect. When I asked the previous question, I was looking for reassurance more than anything. When I re read my questions, I realized that some of them seem really negative, and that's not what I was trying to convey.

hey kevbot- im a 1st yr out of stater. my experience so far has been pretty good. living in lewisburg is a bit of a 'cultural adventure' (im used to urban life) but interesting none the less. the overall thing to remember though is that doing well academically is the most important thing to focus on, so even though theres relatively little here, you don't have the time to worry about it. hope this helps

-pete

How long after your interview did you hear from WVSOM??

dowiattp said:
hey kevbot- im a 1st yr out of stater. my experience so far has been pretty good. living in lewisburg is a bit of a 'cultural adventure' (im used to urban life) but interesting none the less. the overall thing to remember though is that doing well academically is the most important thing to focus on, so even though theres relatively little here, you don't have the time to worry about it. hope this helps

-pete

You could call me non-urban. I LOVE IT.

ananda4321 said:
How long after your interview did you hear from WVSOM??

Adcom meets every Tuesday. Sometimes they get behind and it takes 2 weeks.

Hey Kevbot,

Sorry for the late reply! :D I am from Wilmington, NC originally and so far I love it here in West "By God" Virginia. I thought I was going to hate it but I quickly changed my mind. There's very little crime here (if any) and people are friendly. So I guess I am a beach bum gone mountain man :laugh:

I am notorious for joking around with the school staff about the "arse raping tuition" I have to pay. But really, if you look at it, investing in yourself is the best way to go. Sure, I'm gonna be $215,000 in debt when I get out of school but I'll be making 150-300k a year consistently the rest of my life. With that comes the freedom to work how and when I want to work. To me that is priceless, so don't lose perspective of the big picture. Paying off the loans is very doable!

As for the admissions committee, they meet every Tuesday and they try to get people their letters ASAP (another big difference between WVSOM and other schools across the nation).

So, mind and body strong grasshopper! Hope you enjoy your stay here in L-town!

Warm Regards,
Richie

Hi everyone. I see my question has found itself a good deal of attention. WVSOM seems like a great school with a lot of friendly people. But when it comes down to it, what really matters is if it's right for you. WVSOM is too far from what I consider home, and that's the one thing that I can't deal with. I'll be attending UMDNJ instead. Good luck to all those accepted and all those waiting to be accepted.

Kevbot said:
Hi everyone. I see my question has found itself a good deal of attention. WVSOM seems like a great school with a lot of friendly people. But when it comes down to it, what really matters is if it's right for you. WVSOM is too far from what I consider home, and that's the one thing that I can't deal with. I'll be attending UMDNJ instead. Good luck to all those accepted and all those waiting to be accepted.

Thanks for playing.

When I said "WVSOM is too far from what I consider home"

OOPS, i meant its far from where I consider home. Sorry about that!
WV is a great school. Good luck to everyone. :)