Officially joining the 2006-2007 app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slide

Finally, no more "training"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post here if you're now joining the 2006-2007 application process for med school. As of today after the MCAT I'm officially in.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's ludicrous that AMCAS doesn't support Firefox/Camino or Safari on the mac. Who are they kidding?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in.

should we make a list?

i'm writing some essays right now, but i'm not officially in yet....not just yet

i'm in. what does this mean?

I completely REFUSE to join. No more applying! Ever! La-la-la-la-la-I can't hear you!

...so yeah, I'm gonna wait until at least June.

It's like Oceans Eleven - except without George Clooney.

Count me in as well. Now that the MCAT is over, it's time to start on that pesky personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do I calculate my BCPM exactly? The only none A I have in my science and math classes is two A-. So if a A is 4, what is a A-? And what is a B? Is it 3? Thanks.

doctajay said:
Hey everyone, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do I calculate my BCPM exactly? The only none A I have in my science and math classes is two A-. So if a A is 4, what is a A-? And what is a B? Is it 3? Thanks.

A =4.0
A- =3.7
B+=3.3
B=3.0
B-=2.7
etc.

Well I might as well try this cycle, it's not as though I could do worse than the last cycle :D

Anastasis said:
Once I stop the insane crying from the MCAT, I'm in.

I'm sure you did fine. Try not to stress too much. I'd start working on the personal statement and finishing finals if you have any.

I wasn't too receptive to looking over personal statements last year, but this year I'll try to help you guys if I can. At least the regular posters like the ones that are in here. I did look over a few and help a few folks out last year in revisions, but didn't get to all the people who PMed me, but if you are a regular here and need some help, I'll try my best to help you and be added to the new ongoing list of personal statement helpers. We'll have to create a new one for you all. We did that last year so people wouldn't post their personal statement in 20 different posts.

I'm not in till after finals. Hey gujudoc, are you applying this semester?

tomorrowgirl99 said:
I'm not in till after finals. Hey gujudoc, are you applying this semester?

No I'm going to do my postbac first. I have however started to think about my personal statement lately so I don't have to worry about it later. Its just that it is so hard to collect my thoughts on how to go about it, that I whenever I have free time and think of something I start writing it out so that I won't have to worry later on.

Rafa said:
It's like Oceans Eleven - except without George Clooney.

are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? what's oceans eleven w/o clooney? ER w/o clooney just plain sucks, so i'd imagine the same w/ ocean's eleven!

kidthor said:
Oh yes count me in. When does the 2007 amcas let you start an account?

I've been lurking around since last year but I'm in for sure in for 2007 and will prob be posting more. As for when the app. becomes available, I e-mailed the lovely AMCAS folks and it's May 3rd.

I'm getting ready to apply this cycle too

gujuDoc said:
I'm sure you did fine. Try not to stress too much.

Easy for you to say! :p
I'm re-writing the personal statement (because I'm assured by reliable sources that my first draft totally missed the boat) and getting ready to hit "submit" the instant MCAT scores come back. :scared:

I don't know how to fit in problem sets and finals, especially ones I have to do well on because I'm asking the profs for recs... *stressed*

-Pemberley

Me too. Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

I'm retaking the MCAT in August. I missed out on all the fun on Saturday. :rolleyes: I'm also doing the summer MED program at UNC this summer.

I'm applying this summer too.

I'm in the process. Is there any way you can submit your amcas before your MCATs are in so that they can get through all the paperwork, and then just sort of add your score to it? The reason I ask is because I'm not taking the MCAT until august, and I'd rather not wait 4-6 weeks AFTER I get that back :s.

DRKUBA said:
Can you send transcripts before you start filling out the AMCAS?
No. You have to print out a paper from the AMCAS application that you take to the school and put in with the registrat as a transcript request.

And for the MCAT and AMCAS submission question, you can submit your app on June 1 or whenever the first day is this year, but your app won't be complete at schools until MCAT scores come out (third week of June?). Unless you have previous MCAT scores on file. But this isn't a problem because being complete in early July is still way better than the August MCATers who won't be complete until late October.

Just make sure you fill out your AMCAS once it becomes available (it was May 1st last year). It takes forever and you have to get your transcripts sent in and verified etc. That way you will be ready to submit the first day you can submit.

most schools don't start sending out secondaries until mid-late July anyway. You will still be way ahead of the game. :thumbup:

edit: I read your post wrong. But I left in my post to help anyone else who may have taken the MCAT on Saturday. Being an August MCATer will put you behind if you don't have previous MCAT scores. Many schools will not even look at your app until you have MCAT scores, so that will be somewhat of a disadvantage. However, if you have good numbers and apply to a wide range of schools it's certainly very possible to get in.

If there's one thing I've learned from doing this the past two years is that no one can expect what will happen. People with great numbers and ECs don't get in, while people with "mediocre" stats get tons of acceptances. So don't sell yourself short and take it one step at a time. You never know what will happen. :luck:

Ok good. I'm still going to be behind on the game, but at least I won't miss deadlines because the MCAT isn't out yet. I'll just get everything sent in soon so they can review things the moment my MCAT's get in.

austinap said:
I'm in the process. Is there any way you can submit your amcas before your MCATs are in so that they can get through all the paperwork, and then just sort of add your score to it? The reason I ask is because I'm not taking the MCAT until august, and I'd rather not wait 4-6 weeks AFTER I get that back :s.

Yes you just indicate that you are taking it in August, by checking the box. A lot of places will send you secondaries and just wait for the scores to come back.

tdd340 said:
I've been lurking around since last year but I'm in for sure in for 2007 and will prob be posting more. As for when the app. becomes available, I e-mailed the lovely AMCAS folks and it's May 3rd.
Wow! May 3rd?!! Thats really close....its almost time to get going.

On another note, I just started making up my mdapplicants profile and I'm so pressed right now! For like 3 years I've seen other people's profile, and now I get to make my own! Anyway I know it doesn't matter, but I can be excited all by myself.

Please Severus, you are going to do fine. You realized what you did wrong last time, so when the correct the mistakes you'll probably have like 9 interviews and 5 acceptances!

mustangsally65 said:
No. You have to print out a paper from the AMCAS application that you take to the school and put in with the registrat as a transcript request.

And for the MCAT and AMCAS submission question, you can submit your app on June 1 or whenever the first day is this year, but your app won't be complete at schools until MCAT scores come out (third week of June?). Unless you have previous MCAT scores on file. But this isn't a problem because being complete in early July is still way better than the August MCATers who won't be complete until late October.

Just make sure you fill out your AMCAS once it becomes available (it was May 1st last year). It takes forever and you have to get your transcripts sent in and verified etc. That way you will be ready to submit the first day you can submit.

most schools don't start sending out secondaries until mid-late July anyway. You will still be way ahead of the game. :thumbup:

edit: I read your post wrong. But I left in my post to help anyone else who may have taken the MCAT on Saturday. Being an August MCATer will put you behind if you don't have previous MCAT scores. Many schools will not even look at your app until you have MCAT scores, so that will be somewhat of a disadvantage. However, if you have good numbers and apply to a wide range of schools it's certainly very possible to get in.

If there's one thing I've learned from doing this the past two years is that no one can expect what will happen. People with great numbers and ECs don't get in, while people with "mediocre" stats get tons of acceptances. So don't sell yourself short and take it one step at a time. You never know what will happen. :luck:

this does help. so recommendations go out with secondaries, and secondaries don't often get sent out until july? time.

Yep. I actually also heard that the medical schools can't access your AMCAS applications, or they don't get sent your AMCAS applications until like July 1st. So if you submit everything, and are verified before July 1st, then you are in really good shape. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading around, thats the gist I got.

Yeah, as for my transcript, finals week for me is May 1st to May 5th. And then grades are usually posted the next week, so I'm going to send off my transcript at least by May 14th. I hear that the verification process is the part that can hold people back.

doctajay said:
Please Severus, you are going to do fine. You realized what you did wrong last time, so when the correct the mistakes you'll probably have like 9 interviews and 5 acceptances!

I agree. I know I remember seeing your old ECs. You've sure done a lot to show your dedication and improved your app. I think you'll do fine this time around Sev. Good luck.

doctajay said:
Yep. I actually also heard that the medical schools can't access your AMCAS applications, or they don't get sent your AMCAS applications until like July 1st. So if you submit everything, and are verified before July 1st, then you are in really good shape. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading around, thats the gist I got.

Yeah, as for my transcript, finals week for me is May 1st to May 5th. And then grades are usually posted the next week, so I'm going to send off my transcript at least by May 14th. I hear that the verification process is the part that can hold people back.

Actually its a few days after July 4th. Last year it was July 6th or so. I'll ask REL. He's on adcom staff at USF, so he can find out these things before we find them out.

yo yo yo! count me in for this application cycle! :D

here's to hoping the new MCAT score will destroy my old MCAT score.

Taking the MCAT in August (first time) and applying this summer. Hoping everything goes well!

Severus said:
No, I get ya DoctaJay. I'm kinda stoked to make a new one, myself...

I just hope it turns out a whole lot better than the first one. :rolleyes:

Sev,

You going to apply to more schools this time around or the same ones as last time??? Also, in your profile, it says there are some things you should put down but didn't. Are you going to add those things in the application this time around??? I would do so because they seem to be very good ECs that I wouldn't leave out, especially the thing you did with music. That music thing shows leadership and is unique and will help with showing your well roundedness.

I wouldn't leave any of it out, but incoporate some things in the personal statement while you put the others in the activities section.

GOOD LUCK.

sanford_w/o_son said:
this does help. so recommendations go out with secondaries, and secondaries don't often get sent out until july? time.

Maybe this doesn't apply to you but I'm throwing it out there: Texas system wants your committee recommendation when you fill out the primary. So heads up Texas peeps.

Anastasis said:
Maybe this doesn't apply to you but I'm throwing it out there: Texas system wants your committee recommendation when you fill out the primary. So heads up Texas peeps.

Also... if your school has a premed committee make sure you know you know how they want to go about the process.

At my school the committee drafts a letter to go with your LORs as kind of summary I think, but this means that you have to have all your letters in before the committee meeting (and usually letter writer's would benefit from seeing your personal statement too). So anyway, that's what I'll be doing this week. So much for taking a breath after the MCAT. :rolleyes:

Btw, if send in primaries around the end of June, and are pretty diligent about finishing secondaries during the summer... when usually are most of the the interviews for people that follow that timeline?

From what I remember last year, most schools don't start interviewing for regular applicants (not early decision) until September. But I could be wrong, I'd imagine different schools have different timelines.

mustangsally65 said:
From what I remember last year, most schools don't start interviewing for regular applicants (not early decision) until September. But I could be wrong, I'd imagine different schools have different timelines.

I believe a few started in August, but for the most part most of them started in Septemeber.