Ballwera

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
Cincinnati
Status
Pre-Medical
What are some good ways other than an MCAT score to offset a poor gpa?

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If your GPA is "Poor" do post-bac but if its average just have some really cool EC's and a cool life story

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
Right, it kind of depends on how poor is 'poor'.

A poor GPA says (to whatever extent) that one has trouble with coursework. A good MCAT would be the best offset (sends the message that while the grades weren't great, material was learned). So anything to offset a bad GPA would have to counter the 'trouble with coursework' assumption. Possibly, something like being a tutor at a class where you didn't do so hot might look nice, but it only offsets that one class.

As above, there's always a post-bac if you're really in the hole.

Last edited:

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status
Very few things will offset a poor GPA besides an SMP/Post-Bac.

Even a stellar MCAT won't do much for a GPA below the 3.3 range in many cases.

shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
As others said, more info may be necessary. If your GPA is low because of bad grades freshamn year, but gets better, then schools like that better than a consistent poor GPA.

OP
B

Ballwera

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
Cincinnati
Status
Pre-Medical
both my gpas will probably be in the 3.3-3.4 range around the time I apply...with an upward trend had a terrible freshman year and 1st quarter of sophmore year

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
both my gpas will probably be in the 3.3-3.4 range around the time I apply...with an upward trend had a terrible freshman year and 1st quarter of sophmore year
What is your major, because if your a double major or even a non science major you could help your case by having a strong science GPA. Also if you have a 3.4 or a little higher with an decent MCAT Score 33+ then you should be good at most mid to lower schools. IMO of course

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
What are some good ways other than an MCAT score to offset a poor gpa?
The MCAT exam doesn't offset a poor uGPA. A strong MCAT and a strong uGPA are needed for admission into medical school. It isn't one OR the other but both. If you uGPA is poor, do post bacc work and do well (no grade less than B+). If your uGPA is very poor, do a SMP (special masters program) such as the one at Georgetown and ace the work.

Van Chowder

Go big or go home.
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2009
Berkeley
Status
Pre-Medical
The MCAT exam doesn't offset a poor uGPA. A strong MCAT and a strong uGPA are needed for admission into medical school. It isn't one OR the other but both. If you uGPA is poor, do post bacc work and do well (no grade less than B+). If your uGPA is very poor, do a SMP (special masters program) such as the one at Georgetown and ace the work.
Meh, Im sure you are right, but to some extent, one can compensate for the other lacking. If I have a 3.2/3.2 overall/sci GPA and get a 41 on the MCAT, I would bet I would get many more interviews than the cat that got the same GPA but rather a 30 on the MCAT. Yes that is a bit dramatic of a jump, but just goes to show that to a very minor extent one can happen with out so much the other.

Edit: But to address the ops question, what are you thinking? I mean honestly, if you get a poor MCAT score and have a poor GPA, what shows you can handle ( or retain the info given) the workload of medschool, if you cant handle undergrad work?
I suggest you by the next available ticket to Kenya to start saving some african babies.. Oh and come up with a better way of naming things in organic chemistry than the annoying IUPAC system.

OP
B

Ballwera

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
Cincinnati
Status
Pre-Medical
All i am saying is..I had one bad year and have matured since and have been doing much better all i am askin is if there is anything else i can do to make my application look better