[offtopic?] Wilderness/emergency chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanzure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I found Auerbach's Wilderness Medicine text, which is aimed towards producing effective medical professionals when in the outdoors-- past the confines of the hospital or university lab. So, whether the doc is in the forest, or in the middle of the corporate jungle, ideally some action could be taken to improve the well-being of the sickly, diseased, or injured.

What would you include in a book on wilderness chemistry? What tools would be important to construct? Could anybody synthesize some pest repellant? What about synthesizing some more complex anesthetics? Disinfectants would be nice, too. Leblanc synthesized soap when, otherwise, the method people used started with harvesting sea salt from the burning of kelp (or so claims McGrayne in Prometheans in the Lab).

- Bryan

BTW, this is a cross post from my earlier sciencemadness.org post, but this forum seems more appropriate to discuss the emergency chemistry aspects, i.e. quick recall and more a bias towards life and bioprocesses.

Members don't see this ad.