Quantcast

Oh Canada!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello,

A week tomorrow and the wait will be all but over! I'm so flippin' nervous and excited. More nervous than excited though! But I am looking forward to having closure - ah closure, what a divine concept! Any other Canadians out there anxiously awaiting May 15th? I hope there’s a bunch of you so I can share my angst, frustration and suffering! Where did you interview & how do you feel about it?

Btw, I know everyone is waiting for May 15th for waitlist movement and to finalize their decisions, but we (Cdns) don’t hear so much as a squeak post-interview until the 15th (I am grateful though b/c last year they sat on their decisions until June 1st – the horror, the horror I know)! So that’s why I thought it warranted a new May 15th thread!

Best of luck everyone :luck: :luck: ,
Monette

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Come on Canadians, represent!

Shameless bump.

Monette

jaegwon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm here and waiting too - hopefully just one more week!

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
jaegwon said:
I'm here and waiting too - hopefully just one more week!

Hi Jaegwon,

I hadn't even considered the possibility of waitlists - I cannot wait any longer! I really hope Queen's comes through for you! And that Upstate waitlist too. :luck: :luck:

Monette

konverse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monette said:
Come on Canadians, represent!

Shameless bump.

Monette
hehe
whazzup y'all
wow may 15th is almost here. can u believe that. how the past three months have gone by i have absolutely no idea. very trying let me say. very very very. ;)
anyway. so what's the deal -- who y'all waiting on? i'm waiting on uofa... does anyone know how they will notify the acceptees? it would be nice to have an acceptance there but i'm also in at a couple in the US...
hmmm what do u think i should do -- go big or stay local?

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
konverse said:
hehe
whazzup y'all
wow may 15th is almost here. can u believe that. how the past three months have gone by i have absolutely no idea. very trying let me say. very very very. ;)
anyway. so what's the deal -- who y'all waiting on? i'm waiting on uofa... does anyone know how they will notify the acceptees? it would be nice to have an acceptance there but i'm also in at a couple in the US...
hmmm what do u think i should do -- go big or stay local?

Hey konverse,

I didn't apply to many schools this year because I really didn't think I had a chance of getting in - I still don't :rolleyes: . I applied to three schools and interviewed at two of them so I fared better than I had anticipated. I can taste the rejections (well actually I predict a waitlist and a rejection) coming my way May 15th. Where in the States did you get in?

Monette

jaegwon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monette said:
Hi Jaegwon,

I hadn't even considered the possibility of waitlists - I cannot wait any longer! I really hope Queen's comes through for you! And that Upstate waitlist too. :luck: :luck:

Monette

Thanks Monette...Good luck to you too!

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has got to be more of you... Maybe I'm just not catching you at the right time... Or maybe being a Canadian is *that* unique eh :p

Let's try again.

Monette

ssc_396

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monette said:
There has got to be more of you... Maybe I'm just not catching you at the right time... Or maybe being a Canadian is *that* unique eh :p

Let's try again.

Monette

You're just looking in the wrong place. Most Canadian med & premeds post here: http://p090.ezboard.com/bpremed101

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ssc_396 said:
You're just looking in the wrong place. Most Canadian med & premeds post here: http://p090.ezboard.com/bpremed101

Yeah I found that website after registering on SDN. I peruse it sometimes but I didn't register because their entire system crashed last year and they are yet to repair it - they are still posting under "temporary" subforums. Also, there's virtually no traffic - by SDN standards at least. I'll also (most likely) be applying to American schools next year so the advice here is really valuable. In conclusion, being an SDNer has raised the bar and spoiled me - you guys are a lot more fun but I was hoping there'd be other Canadians. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Ah well, I'll let this thread die now.

*waves good bye, sheds a tear*
Monette

autoimmunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monette said:
Yeah I found that website after registering on SDN. I peruse it sometimes but I didn't register because their entire system crashed last year and they are yet to repair it - they are still posting under "temporary" subforums. Also, there's virtually no traffic - by SDN standards at least. I'll also (most likely) be applying to American schools next year so the advice here is really valuable. In conclusion, being an SDNer has raised the bar and spoiled me - you guys are a lot more fun but I was hoping there'd be other Canadians. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Ah well, I'll let this thread die now.

Monette

Canadian here. Going to med school this year in the US. There's hope! :)

konverse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monette said:

Monette
monette -- with two interviews i'm sure you'll be fine.
i phoned up uofa and they said emails will come out monday morning
so it's gonna be super intense webmail traffic then ;).
but if no dice then a quick mental switch and a 100% focus on US medicine.
what schools are u waiting on? ::luck::

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Responses - how very exciting!

autoimmunity said:
Canadian here. Going to med school this year in the US. There's hope! :)

Awesomeness! Congratulations! Do you mind sharing which school? :)

Monette

Members don't see this ad :)

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
konverse said:
monette -- with two interviews i'm sure you'll be fine.
Aww, thanks for the vote of confidence but I don't have a good feeling about Monday. :(

konverse said:
i phoned up uofa and they said emails will come out monday morning
so it's gonna be super intense webmail traffic then ;).
One of my schools is notifying by e-mail on Monday and the other by snail mail. I've already started freeing up space on my e-mail account - make sure you do the same! I am notorious for hanging onto e-mails and not cleaning out my account until I absolutely have to - maybe it's just another dimension of my procrastination. In any case, I'm not waiting on U of A.

konverse said:
but if no dice then a quick mental switch and a 100% focus on US medicine. what schools are u waiting on? ::luck::
I'll probably end up applying to a wide range of schools in both Canada and the States next year. Definitely more than three schools! :rolleyes:

:luck: :luck: to all of us!

Cheers,
Monette

canadianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared:

im anxiously waiting too...waiting on western and UofT..and waitlisted at a few schools in the states....i was in mexico last week so i totally forgot about everything..but now im back...and scared

Disapointed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian here, but living in Chapel Hill, NC....Accepted at UNC, waiting to hear from UBC - do you know if they email/snail mail you? Anyhow....most likely going to Carolina in the fall even if I do get into UBC.

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
canadianMD said:
:scared:

im anxiously waiting too...waiting on western and UofT..and waitlisted at a few schools in the states....i was in mexico last week so i totally forgot about everything..but now im back...and scared

Well, I must confess I'm totally jealous of your UofT interview - I'm a huge fan of theirs but apparently the feeling is not mutual :( . All jealousy aside, I wish you the best of luck with both schools - I'm sure you'll get into at least one :) !

Cheers,
Monette

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disapointed said:
Canadian here, but living in Chapel Hill, NC....Accepted at UNC, waiting to hear from UBC - do you know if they email/snail mail you? Anyhow....most likely going to Carolina in the fall even if I do get into UBC.

You might find your answer here:

http://p090.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm78

Good luck and congrats on UNC :)

Cheers,
Monette

canadianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monette said:
Well, I must confess I'm totally jealous of your UofT interview - I'm a huge fan of theirs but apparently the feeling is not mutual :( . All jealousy aside, I wish you the best of luck with both schools - I'm sure you'll get into at least one :) !

Cheers,
Monette

thanks for the good thoughts..uoft interview was really laid back..i liked..and since i did my ugrad there i would love to continue...western on the other hand...not a good experience.. :mad: ...hopefully us canadians can stay in canada and help the doc shortage.

donair

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
canadianMD said:
thanks for the good thoughts..uoft interview was really laid back..i liked..and since i did my ugrad there i would love to continue...western on the other hand...not a good experience.. :mad: ...hopefully us canadians can stay in canada and help the doc shortage.

I am a Canadian waitlisted at 1 school and still waiting to hear from another post-interview. Waiting blows...

But I would much rather go to the US and stay in the US as opposed to Canada. I will always be a Canadian but I say **** Canada. The med schools here have pissed me off. Not a single university invited me for an interview b/c all they want are hardcore nerds with 4.0 GPA and no social skills. So **** the Canadian medical system. If it doesn't want me I'll go where I am wanted, the US - truly the land of opportunity.

Disapointed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well whatever happens regarding med school....GO OIL! :p ....btw, I hate the Sens, not at all unhappy they got knocked out last night.

ssc_396

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
donair said:
I am a Canadian waitlisted at 1 school and still waiting to hear from another post-interview. Waiting blows...

But I would much rather go to the US and stay in the US as opposed to Canada. I will always be a Canadian but I say **** Canada. The med schools here have pissed me off. Not a single university invited me for an interview b/c all they want are hardcore nerds with 4.0 GPA and no social skills. So **** the Canadian medical system. If it doesn't want me I'll go where I am wanted, the US - truly the land of opportunity.

Uhhh - I got 8 interviews this year in Canada (and 4 in the US) with a 3.60 OMSAS GPA. Admittedly, I am a grad applicant but my grad degree doesn’t matter at all for 5 of the 8 Canadian schools. Don't assume that because Canadian schools didn't invite you they must be after 4.0 GPA nerds. Though I do admit the US system is more holistic.

And my preference is hands down to stay in Canada, even with acceptances/waitlists at top US schools. So here’s hoping for much love tomorrow!

canadianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone with good news?..today is the big day....

me..accepted at UofT...excited!!!..and waitlisted at western..taking the uoft acceptance..my first choice..WOO HOOO

:cool:

ssc_396

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
canadianMD said:
anyone with good news?..today is the big day....

me..accepted at UofT...excited!!!..and waitlisted at western..taking the uoft acceptance..my first choice..WOO HOOO

:cool:

I got into UBC, UofT and UofM. Waitlisted everywhere else. I'm going to UBC.

bioboy2007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ssc_396 said:

Is this by any chance ssc427? Congratulations! I remember reading how your first choice was UBC!!

3 schools, wow!

shetland

pony
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ssc_396 said:
I'll see you there!! Are you planning to live on campus?

ssc_396

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
shetland said:
I'll see you there!! Are you planning to live on campus?

No, I don't think so. I'm doing the IMP so will stay with friends for the UBC stint then maybe on campus in Victoria. I saw NMP was your third choice. What was your first?

Monette

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I started all this drama, I thought I should update you guys with how things turned out for me. I received the e-mail decision on Monday but I just waited for the snail mail one to arrive (which it did today) before posting. So final verdict: One rejection; one acceptance. I seriously cannot believe it! Only problem is I was supposed to defer but I don't think they're going to let me. I don't know what's going to happen... :confused:

Congrats to everyone else who got good news and best of luck to those on waitlists. Also, anyone who got rejected, keep your head up - it is a crazy process. Keep trying and it will work out in the end. :luck: :luck:

Cheers,
Monette

Medskool2006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I need your advice!

I will be graduating this year and I don't know what I should do next year since I didn't get accepted this year. My gpa is ~3.85, I have a good amount of ECs and I will be rewriting the mcat. I think I have several option: 1. I can start my masters..but I don't really want to do this because then some schools wont accept me until I finish it..this will delay med school by 2 yrs.
2. I can do a graduate certificate/diploma in public/population health assessment and management, this takes 1 yr to complete (in some schools only 5 classes to take).
3. I can do a 5th year and get a second degree with is similar to the first one I have.

I just don't know which is the best option. I really like option 2, I think it would be interesting, and I had seen on the u of T site that some of these programs are taken by family docs.

Do you guys think that if I go with option 2 , they would look on it unfavourably than if I was to start my masters.

Pls Help any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks