Oh Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NikoNLS8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just have a simple question. Are Canadian citizens/permanent residents regarded as international students when applying to US medical schools, or are they simply classified as "non-residents?" Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NikoNLS8 said:
Hey, I just have a simple question. Are Canadian citizens/permanent residents regarded as international students when applying to US medical schools, or are they simply classified as "non-residents?" Thanks.

Non-residents at many schools, but international at some as well. I don't know all of them (you'll have to check their websites), but you can check my mdapplicants link to see which ones I applied to.

Also, there is a list on the Canadian pre-med website (EZboard) that lists the schools that regularly interview Canadians...

NikoNLS8 said:
Hey, I just have a simple question. Are Canadian citizens/permanent residents regarded as international students when applying to US medical schools, or are they simply classified as "non-residents?" Thanks.[/QUOTE

Also...r US citizens considered as international docs if they graduate from canadian medical school????

drtoor said:
Also...r US citizens considered as international docs if they graduate from canadian medical school????

You mean if a US citizen goes to Canada for medical school is he considered an international doctor to the US? Or to Canada?

Also I wondered what Canadian medical schools take on American citizens applying is? Do they consider Americans as "out of provence"? Or are we considered international like an Italian student might be?