1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Oh crap. I completely screwed up my senior year

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by idleburra, Dec 28, 2008.

1. idleburra

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    First of all, I know I posted about this about a month ago... so please don't yell at me.

I am applying this cycle. I just got my grades, turns out, I got 2 Cs and a B this past semester. I had a 3.5 till now. I was wondering how exactly this would affect me. Would my potential acceptances be revoked because of my low grades? Are schools going to look at the grades and not even offer me acceptance?

Thanks in advance for any answers. Happy holidays.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wait have you gotten in anywhere? usually C is okay. just not D. if you haven't gotten in don't update schools with those grades

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Schools you've already applied to will not know about your fall semester grades unless you tell them. I'd agree that you should keep the information to yourself.

5. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So what happens if you do land a D?

Do you automatically lose your acceptances when you send off your transcripts, or do you have a chance to explain it to them?

(I'm still anxiously awaiting my fall grades, they won't be pretty)

6. jsanchez

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    keep this information to yourself.

Also, the fact that you got a D doesnt automatically mean rejection, but it can play a part in a committee's decision depending on the class and your overall application.

In summary, since you already applied, the schools will not see these grades unless you tell them yourself, or if you get accepted and they need a final transcript. (but by this time you already got accepted....although you might have to appeal because usually they want every student to be enrolled to get a C or better in every class in their last year to be matriculated in the fall)

good luck

7. idleburra

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't have any acceptances... but I do have an interview coming up.

Also, do they look at this if I get waitlisted anywhere?

8. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Unless you get an acceptance, you will not be asked for a final transcript. A school putting you on their waitlist won't have any way to know your recent grades.

Stixx, if one gets a D it would be best if you repeat the class the next semester. That D will be hanging over your head and could result in a school taking back their acceptance once they find out. Moreover, if you are not accepted anywhere, it will be part of your application GPA the next time you submit to AMCAS, worsening your chances.

#7 Mobius1985, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So... you had a 3.5 before, what do you have now? I mean, 2 Cs aren't a big deal if they are seminar 1 hour classes, but a big deal in 5 hour grad level courses.

Agreed, keep it to yourself and hope for the best. You may want to consider what led to the Cs themselves... as it may become more of a problem when you DO get in!

10. idleburra

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They were 4 unit upper div. classes. The gpa is a 3.35 now.

I was completely depressed about not getting any interviews from the schools. Really bad semester :(

11. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ouch. Hopefully there is an explanation that goes with that. Any reason things went sour?

If not, don't lose sleep over it. Do better next semester and get your GPA up to a 3.4 and then continue. Good ECs, MCAT scores, and ESPECIALLY good interview skills and frequent contact with admissions staff can really pay off in these type of situations.

12. FrickenhugeMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hopefully it won't come back and bite you in the ass if you dont get in this year and you have to reapply with that 3.35. Stop feeling bad about the situation, its come and gone and there is nothing you can do about it now. Defiantly buckle down and finish strong this spring and hope you get in.

If you don't get in this year, you might have to take a year off to do a post-bac to bring the GPA up to something respectable.

My $.02

13. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    but you didnt get a D right? its 2 C's and 1 B... so i think you are ok if you get an acceptance...

14. idleburra

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nah... no Ds.

May be I shouldn't worry too much about them, seeing how I don't really have any acceptances yet.

Thanks for all the replies guys.