Oh Crap...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galaxian

You wanna get high?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal...

I'm screwed. I already sent out applications for surgery, but after doing a bunch of surgery rotations, I'm starting to feel burnt out, and am seriously reconsidering... So, I'm doing a 2 weeker in Radiology, and I'm realizing that I didn't really think too seriously about it--I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I'm rediscovering my love for anatomy, and the technology of radiology, combined with the intellectual challenge of diagnosing a variety of illness across a wide patient population and imaging modalities is pretty appealing. The problem is, that I still don't feel like two weeks is enough exposure to make the decision to apply. Plus, I'm wondering if getting a decent amount of sleep, and having time to see my friends and family is adding to the appeal. Anyways, I don't think the radiology ship has sailed for me yet. I mean, if I decide to apply now, and I mean RIGHT NOW, I won't get the high power programs, but some good programs are still within the deadline. I also think I have the stats to pull it off if I gave it a serious try. But I'm wondering what you seasoned radiology people out there think of this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will have a considerable uphill battle trying to convince an interviewer that you're truly committed to radiology. A two week experience is, at best, superficial. It will be a challenge to make people believe that you truly have a grasp of what the field encompasses and that you will enjoy it for the rest of your career.

What happens when you do another elective and suddenly find yourself thinking about anesthesia, derm, or radiation oncology?

Perhaps you could submit a few rads applications (if you're serious about it), and clear your schedule. Spend the next few months doing rads electives. If you love it, great. If the luster wears off and you find yourself missing surgery, you'll have a greater appreciation for your radiological colleagues. If you apply in rads, be prepared to have a real whiz-bang answer to why you are certain that this is the field for you.

Good luck,
doepug

If you feel burned out now, how will you feel after 6 months of q3 call and other crap during your surgery internship. Judging by your tone, it sounds like you better get your act together and get your radiology applications together.

Who cares about high powered or not. Doing radiology at some small community program is still better than doing surgery at Harvard if you do not LOVE surgery. It will still be easier to get a spot now, then as a burned out intern trying to switch.

I think 2 weeks is plenty. It takes most students one day of sitting in a cold, dark, boring, room to realize rads is not an option for them.

Common, what are you waiting for, get your apps together. If you are a strong candidate, you do not need a recommendation from a radiologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best life advice I recieved in medical stool:

"Only consider surgery if there is no place you would rather be in the world than the OR -- ALL the time."

- Famous surgery chair at my medical stool.

My infatuation with surgery lasted about a week.

I think I'll go ahead and roll the dice...

I got me a rad letter of rec, and i'm gonna try for it. Can't hurt, and I'll never have to wonder. Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for the heads up doepug. On a different note. I got the same advice about surgery that radrules got from just about everyone at my school: "ya gotta love it and want nothing else." A lot of people will also tell you that you can make a life for yourself after residency. But man, I wonder, wouldnt' it suck to be an honest to goodness surgeon with all that training to save lives and using it to blast out lap choles, hernias, and biopsies so you can get out by five? I think schools should provide more broad exposure to career options in medicine earlier in the preclinical years. ****, all I got was the password to careers in medicine by AAMC. So, So bitter...

That's it... I'm doing radiology. I've been deciding between neurosurgery (which is all but eliminated), ENT-plastics (bored as hell with turbinates), and radiology/neurointerventional (seems like the trends are in that direction). Thanks for the help. I would have never even KNOWN about neurointervention had I not been to these forums and loitered for the last 2 months.

Originally posted by doepug

Perhaps you could submit a few rads applications (if you're serious about it), and clear your schedule. Spend the next few months doing rads electives. If you love it, great.

Applying to a few programs is rediculous. Apply like you are seriously trying to match. I applied late as well, mid-October I think, after having a stack of applications for 2 other specialties on my table. Although probably closed myself off from a lot of programs I still got 13 interviews and matched at my #1 choice. I didn't have one interviewer ask me why I applied late or about other specialties I may be interested in.

Galaxian,

You're not the first person that this has happened to.

I had a friend who was in the middle of applying for Ortho last year, had gone on six interviews. He saw the light, dropped out of the match, took a year off and did rads research and is now interviewing for rads.

I had another friend who was applying to ortho, and early in the process, allowed the wool to be pulled from his eyes, banged out some rads applications and then matched in rads.

Also, on many of my rads interviews, there are no shortage of expatriots from other specialties who have seen the light and are now applying to rads. So far I've counted 3 ortho, 4 general surgery, 2 peds, 2 neuro, and 3 family practice (one of which was an attending) and 2 internal medicine. No OB/GYN yet, you figure it out!

I know another girl who didn't know what she wanted to do. So she opted for a prelim year in medicine. After spending time in that gutter, she realized that she wanted to do rads. She ended up getting a spot at a really good rads program, because one of the residents had to drop out for family reasons.

You're in an inconvenent spot, no doubt. But what about this whole stupid, backwords medical training process hasn't been inconvenient? And, what could be more inconvenient than a surgery residency? Seriously, I'd quit medicine and take a job sweeping floors than doing that.