Oh hey, a personal statement thread/question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username456789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a rough draft of my PS, and I feel like all it is is me highlighting a few achievements I think are notable, trying to puff up my chest without sounding pretentious, and then tossing in a line about "what I learned/gained" or "how I grew" from the experience.

It just all seems very contrived. I start out with a moderately interesting anecdote that's unrelated to medicine, tie it loosely in with the whole idea of being a hard working team player, and then proceed as outlined above. It seems like a cookie cutter recipe and honestly when I read my PS I'm unimpressed.

Anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a rough draft of my PS, and I feel like all it is is me highlighting a few achievements I think are notable, trying to puff up my chest without sounding pretentious, and then tossing in a line about "what I learned/gained" or "how I grew" from the experience.

It just all seems very contrived. I start out with a moderately interesting anecdote that's unrelated to medicine, tie it loosely in with the whole idea of being a hard working team player, and then proceed as outlined above. It seems like a cookie cutter recipe and honestly when I read my PS I'm unimpressed.

Anyone else feel this way?

Chances are if you're feeling unimpressed so will the pd reading it. I felt the same about my first draft, left it for a few weeks then inspiration struck one random night and I revised 80% of the draft. Maybe leave it for a while and see if a better idea strikes you.

Yeah . . . I think one of my biggest problems is feeling uncomfortable using phrases to describe things I've done such as "achievements" and "successes." I realize it behooves you to help "sell yourself"as a solid (if not outstanding) candidate for residency, but I've just always had trouble trumpeting my "successes" or whatever. I've always been someone to let my actions do the talking (my numerous posts on this forum notwithstanding).