Oh I guess congratulations are in order.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mauvespice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spoke to a very annoying relative (living outside of the U.S.) who I thought called to congratulate me on getting into my #1.

Relative; Hi mauvespice, so whats the news?
Me: Matched at ____________!
R: Oh so is that like Harvard
M: No, its _________
R: Oh so why didn't you go to Harvard. I have not heard of _____
M: Harvard didn't want to take me
R: Ok I see. So what program?
M: Internal Medicine yay!
R: Didn't you say you wanted to do Neurosurgery?
M: When did I ever say that?
R: Oh of course your mom told me you wanted to get into Neurosurg
M: What?? Oh (Then I remembered that when I was in 7th grade, one psychic had told my parents- that someday I would be a neurosurgeon-and this relative was referring to that, only 13 yrs later {dont ask me what my parents were doing talking to a psychic, I asked the same Q and haven't got a good answer yet} )
R: Okay so what do these Internal what was that again? people do?
M: They do........
R: But didn't you already learn that in medical school
M: ??##$@@T#$%FDWQ#$R%#
R: Okay and then
M: And then if I wish to subspecialize, I can go ahead and do that after the 3 yrs
R: 3 yrs of what?
M: INTERNAL MEDICINE
R: Didn't you say that was 5 yrs.
M: No that was medical school
R: Okay anyway, so whats your fee like
M: I dont have a fee yay! I actually get paid a salary
R: Why would they pay you a salary to study?
M: I don't really open my books and study, I actually work close to 80 hours per week.
R: Doing what?
M: Seeing patients!
R: But then didn't you say the first 2.5 yrs was only textbook learning
M: THAT WAS MEDICAL SCHOOL
R: Oh so what is this now?
M: (getting close to suicidal) residency training.
R: Oh....long pause......
M: (Rolling eyes up)
R: Oh then I guess congratulations are in order!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Spoke to a very annoying relative (living outside of the U.S.) who I thought called to congratulate me on getting into my #1. Totally boxed my spirits.

M: What?? Oh (Then I remembered that when I was in 7th grade, one psychic had told my parents- that someday I would be a neurosurgeon-and this relative was referring to that, only 13 yrs later {dont ask me what my parents were doing talking to a psychic, I asked the same Q and haven't got a good answer yet} )
M: And then if I wish to subspecialize, I can go ahead and do that after the 3 yrs
M: I don't really open my books and study, I actually work close to 80 hours per week.

And so the lesson here is that you should try to match harvard or your family will think you are a failure. I'm glad I could help.

Correction.

Harvard neurosurgery.

Everyone else is a failure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw sarcasm dripping off that post

Yes.

Don't fret OP, your post was funny.

Thanks VMSmith. :) I seriously didn't predict the direction that this post has taken. :diebanana: I thought it was something light and funny. I generally don't post such situations, but I thought I would post something that I thought was funny amongst the other stressful and angry posts on the forum to try and lighten the atmosphere. But I do agree with the impression that it may have created. I'm the happiest IMer :soexcited: and didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry guys.

People need to lighten up. OF COURSE THE POST WAS SARCASTIC! That was the whole point. I think it's hilarious and I can completely relate:laugh:

Congrats Mauvespice-you're a failure like the rest of us.;) Enjoy the rest of fourth year before the madness begins in June/July.

mauvespice, ur post was hilarious! :laugh:
I could totally see myself having this convo next yr with MY relatives...lol
only if our relatives knew what we went/are going through...lol
congrats!!! you totally deserve it!!

When rubor, tumor, calor and dolor affect the response......

The post was quite funny (bordering on the territory of dark humor). However, I think it was posted at a time when many on SDN were "inflamed" on matching into the 8th program on their list. When your 8th program is Duke/UCLA/Vandy, then most people have no reason to be pissed (yes, a bit dissapointed) (seriously, I love the people in Derm and Rad Onco who are pissed about matching into the 7th program on their list). And hence, I guess it didnt get the kind of "reception".

Anyway, it was funny.

Oh yes, dont forget "functio laesa"...something increasingly predominant of SDN over the last few weeks.

Last edited:
And so the lesson here is that you should try to match harvard or your family will think you are a failure. I'm glad I could help.

:laugh: Unfortunately, this can be true for many applicants whose families are unfamiliar with medicine (and also with sarcasm).

To the OP: Awesome post. I loved it!

Yes, it was very funny.
I can relate.
I still have family friend say, "So when are you going to be done with school?". I have to patiently explain that I finished med school 5 years ago...argh.

Spoke to a very annoying relative (living outside of the U.S.) who I thought called to congratulate me on getting into my #1.

This is so like my parents, "Congrats on Vandy! So and so got Duke, why didn't you go to Duke? You know I have a friend at Harvard, maybe they could have pulled some strings to get you in there" *sigh* conditions of worth never end...

This is so like my parents, "Congrats on Vandy! So and so got Duke, why didn't you go to Duke? You know I have a friend at Harvard, maybe they could have pulled some strings to get you in there" *sigh* conditions of worth never end...

My favorite from my family is some variation of: UCSF? Really? I mean, I've heard of Harvard and Hopkins. UCSF is a good school? Seriously?

I echo your qualms- my parents constantly lament that I did not do the right thing by picking Cornell over MGH and Duke. In order to ease their pain, I told them that Duke isn't even an ivy league institute!

People need to lighten up. OF COURSE THE POST WAS SARCASTIC! That was the whole point. I think it's hilarious and I can completely relate:laugh:

Congrats Mauvespice-you're a failure like the rest of us.;) Enjoy the rest of fourth year before the madness begins in June/July.

Haha Congrats to you and all:highfive:

mauvespice, ur post was hilarious! :laugh:
I could totally see myself having this convo next yr with MY relatives...lol
only if our relatives knew what we went/are going through...lol
congrats!!! you totally deserve it!!

Yeah don't let them get to ya! While having this maze of a conversation with this obnoxious relative, I was thinking to myself "Try to keep up buddy! Forget why I didn't go to Harvard, I know why you didn't". Fortunately, you can shake off the feeling rather quickly if you try and remember why you went to a certain place. Adorable profile pic :)

The post was quite funny (bordering on the territory of dark humor). However, I think it was posted at a time when many on SDN were "inflamed" on matching into the 8th program on their list. When your 8th program is Duke/UCLA/Vandy, then most people have no reason to be pissed (yes, a bit dissapointed) (seriously, I love the people in Derm and Rad Onco who are pissed about matching into the 7th program on their list). And hence, I guess it didnt get the kind of "reception".

Anyway, it was funny.

Oh yes, dont forget "functio laesa"...something increasingly predominant of SDN over the last few weeks.

Aah :D

:laugh: Unfortunately, this can be true for many applicants whose families are unfamiliar with medicine (and also with sarcasm).

To the OP: Awesome post. I loved it!

Yes, it was very funny.
I can relate.
I still have family friend say, "So when are you going to be done with school?". I have to patiently explain that I finished med school 5 years ago...argh.

I get that too. There are only 2 kinds of relatives: ones that make you feel like a nerd who throws their life away by going to "school" till middle age and the other kind that can't get enough until you make it to Harvard. :bang:

Jubilee, I hear ya. Its harder when parents say these things, not like you can hang up and forget about it. Vandy is awesome, you'll do great there knowing you've picked it for the right reasons. If not, you have your entire life to move around. :thumbup:

Hahaha.. I like this.

My favorite from my family is some variation of: UCSF? Really? I mean, I've heard of Harvard and Hopkins. UCSF is a good school? Seriously?

:thumbup:

I get the obligatory "Oh, Wash U?? We should buy you a rain coat and an umbrella for Seattle"

*sigh*

That's hilarious!!
It completely echos the majority of conversations with my relatives. No matter how many times I explain to them the process of medical education or what residency is, it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

Them (for the hundredth time): "So when will you finally be a doctor?"
Me: "I am a doctor, since I finished medical school."
Them: "But didn't you say you are about to start your residency?"
Me: "Yes, but I will be treating patients as a doctor, although under supervision, and learning at the same time."
Them: "Oh, okay. So how many years do you have left."
Me: "Three. But if I decide to do a fellowship, then it will be another 1 to 4 years depending on what I do."
Them (shaking the head with a sad and mournful expression): "Yeah, that's a very long time. But once you become a doctor, then it will be all worth it."
Me (slicing my wrists with a scalpel)