OH MY GOD Ahhhhhhhhh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys please help, I need some SERIOUS advice. I love SDN and the people on it and I think this is the best place to get advice. This is probably going to be long but please help me.

Here's my story: I applied this cycle got 5 interviews and was accepted to a DO school, I don't want to go. There are many reasons why, first I do believe there is stigma there and will be after 4years when I apply for residency. I also have come to realize it is difficult to get into certain allopathic residency as a DO. I don't want this to turn into a MD/DO thing.
My stats are 3.63/30P. I have been to two summer programs, one of which was MMEP. I have been hospital volunteer for 5 years, I have done research and I have had leadership positions in some clubs.
I thought I would get into an MD program this year with my stats but I think it's not going to happen now.
So here are my options, go to DO school (I'm not going to do it), go to the Caribbean (I am thinking about it), re-apply. And if I reapply I am gonna have to answer the question "Have you ever been accepted to medical school, if so why didn't you go?" and I understand some adcoms will probably not like that fact that I said NO to a med school. Even thought, most of them in my position would probably do the same. If I reapply and not get in, I'll go to Caribbean and I'm cool with that, but I don't want to lose a year.

So I have come up with another option, what if I go to Caribbean (I have gotten into a school) and apply in US this upcoming cycle, if I get in then I'll go if not I can stay at carribbean. I understand the money for traveling and stuff but I don't and have never cared for money.

Please advice me, go to DO, Caribbean, re-apply. To me the most important thing is not to waste a year. You can PM me if you want.

Also, there are people on this board that have re-applied even thought they got into an MD school, b/c it wasn't their top choice, I remember seeing that thread. Can you give me advice on how you navigated the question that's on the application?

And please advice me on what to say on why I chose not to go to the DO school. I have some stuff as I wrote, but I need more.

Also, I didn't want to apply there AT ALL, but I got really bad advice from my advisor. After I told her I didn't wanna go there at all, she realized that she made a mistake on advicing me that but the damage is already done.

Thanx SDNers.

Members don't see this ad.

thehopeful said:
Okay guys please help, I need some SERIOUS advice. I love SDN and the people on it and I think this is the best place to get advice. This is probably going to be long but please help me.

Here’s my story: I applied this cycle got 5 interviews and was accepted to a DO school, I don’t want to go. There are many reasons why, first I do believe there is stigma there and will be after 4years when I apply for residency. I also have come to realize it is difficult to get into certain allopathic residency as a DO. I don’t want this to turn into a MD/DO thing.
My stats are 3.63/30P. I have been to two summer programs, one of which was MMEP. I have been hospital volunteer for 5 years, I have done research and I have had leadership positions in some clubs.
I thought I would get into an MD program this year with my stats but I think it’s not going to happen now.
So here are my options, go to DO school (I’m not going to do it), go to the Caribbean (I am thinking about it), re-apply. And if I reapply I am gonna have to answer the question “Have you ever been accepted to medical school, if so why didn’t you go?” and I understand some adcoms will probably not like that fact that I said NO to a med school. Even thought, most of them in my position would probably do the same. If I reapply and not get in, I’ll go to Caribbean and I’m cool with that, but I don’t want to lose a year.

So I have come up with another option, what if I go to Caribbean (I have gotten into a school) and apply in US this upcoming cycle, if I get in then I’ll go if not I can stay at carribbean. I understand the money for traveling and stuff but I don’t and have never cared for money.

Please advice me, go to DO, Caribbean, re-apply. To me the most important thing is not to waste a year. You can PM me if you want.

Thanx SDNers.

I wouldn't ask for advice that you're not going to take.

My advice - go to the US DO school.

if you can show people you can do the job, having DO at the end of your name won't make a difference. People may have prejudices, but they will always want the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would reapply since i would not want to go to DO also. but then again, i would never apply to somewhere i know for sure im never going to attend.

You should definitely go to the DO school. I recommend looking up some previous posts regarding ppl in similar situations. I just don't have the energy this late to come up with anything inspirational about DOs other than the fact that my parents actually choose to go to DOs more than MDs because they find that DOs are more caring about their patients. You will learn the same stuff. Let me repeat, you will learn the same stuff! So my other advice is, stop reading the Allopathic forum b/c to be honest ppl are gonna bash on DO all day here (which is bs). You will be called DR, you will have DO after your name. And you should be proud to have DO after your name. All your family and friends will still tell others that you are a doctor. They will not say oh he is a DO (b/c a doctor is a doctor DO, MD, blah). So I say CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!! CHANGE YOUR VIEWPOINT! and become positive because med school is gonna be a blast (hard with a bunch of rewards). Don't buy into the stigmatism crap

Go to the DO school. If, after your first year, you still feel the same about DO vs. MD "issues", then you can transfer to an MD school. And if your grades are good at the DO school, transfering won't present much of a problem.

jtank said:
i would reapply since i would not want to go to DO also. but then again, i would never apply to somewhere i know for sure im never going to attend.

(Bold added by me.) The bolded statement is exactly the right point. I applied to schools I didn't LOVE this year, but I knew I could tolerate going to them if I only got in there. (Luckily, I got into my favorite school so it's a moot point, but I digress...) You chose to apply to the DO schools and now you are faced with the dilemma of either sucking it up and going, or potentially losing the only spot you will ever get at a US medical school for the sake of "prestige." I understand not wanting to go DO, but I don't understand applying and then backing out. I didn't want to go DO, so I didn't apply to any of those schools. Unfortunately, you are now in a bit of a bind. If you don't want to waste a year, then your best bet is to go DO. If you want to waste a year AND put your future at an American school at risk, then re-apply. If you don't care about money and could seriously deal with living in Grenada for two years, then go ahead and get the MD after reapplying. It's all up to you, and we really can't make the decision for you,. Like Moose said, you're asking for advice you don't want to receive.

jtank said:

Whoah there jtank.... apparently you know little about your school's history.
Well, let me enlighten you: UC-Irvine was originally a DO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jtank said:

I didn't want to apply there AT ALL, but I got really bad advice from my advisor. After I told her I didn't wanna go there at all, she realized that she made a mistake on advicing me that but the damage is already done.

thehopeful said:
I didn't want to apply there AT ALL, but I got really bad advice from my advisor. After I told her I didn't wanna go there at all, she realized that she made a mistake on advicing me that but the damage is already done.

Wow, the messages are going up here so fast that it seems like a chat room.

Anyway- because you dislike DO schools so much, go ahead and lose a year of your life reapplying or losing the dignity you could have retained by going to a school in the US by going abroad.

Peace.

Don't go somewhere where you know you won't be happy. If you don't want to be a DO, then don't. You can reapply next year, and when it comes time to answer the question about not attending after being accepted, you can turn it into a positive response, by saying that the school you were accepted at was your last choice, and you felt your opportunities would be maximized by deferring and buffing up your application to attend school "X". (You would of course use this in school "X"'s application/interview. :)

Don't let the "any medical school MD or DO" is good enough, replies on here, make you feel some sort of an obligation. You've made it clear that you don't want to be a DO.

Make yourself feel better. Out there somewhere, is some soul who wants desperately to be a DO, and by deferring your acceptance, you'll not only fulfill his/her life's dream, but you'll also be much happier yourself, when you finally get that MD acceptance next year.

Your stats sound pretty good. If it were me, I would do everything you could to find out exactly where your application was lacking in the eyes of each MD school, and strive over the next year to close those gaps.

thehopeful said:

Unless your advisor physically filled out AACOMAS for you, I don't see how you can blame this on her. You didn't have to apply DO, but you did, and now you are faced with either going to the osteopathic school, or losing a year of your life/a sure thing/a lot of money.

Why did you apply to the DO school if you had no intention of ever going there?

Your stats do not seem mediocre to me; what other schools did you apply to? Were the LOR's strong? You probably applied to all top tier schools, 1 DO, and 1 caribbean right?

Anyway, the major problem you will face in the future is explaining the fact that you turned down an acceptance... obviously you foresee this, but how to act on it? hummm. i dunna.

Honestly, I think DO schools should just change their names and award degrees that put the MD at the end of your name. Honestly, then there wouldn't be such fussing and huffing/puffing over this silly issue.** If this were the case, I bet you would have no problems whatsoever taking that acceptance...

** = (Afterall, MD's and DO's are pretty much trained equally, can enter the same specialties, and have the same legal rights in practicing medicine.)

Members don't see this ad :)
sga814 said:
Well, let me enlighten you: UC-Irvine was originally a DO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay, if you say so. i don't see how that is relevant to anything said here. :confused:

Yo thehopeful,

After reading your post, in my opinion you've pretty well outlined what you want to do already. You don't want to go to D.O. school and that's fine. Don't go. Even if other ppl tell you it's all the same as M.D., clearly there's a reason you don't want to go, therefore you shouldn't. In my mind there is only 1 question you're considering, whether or not to go to the Caribean this year. If you have a good amount of money lying around (or your parents do not mind financing), then I think it is a good plan to go to the caribean for a year and then apply to US M.D. schools the following year and transfer/start over if you get in. If however you don't have a lot of money lying around, I think that with your stats, and if you apply early in the cycle (ie. NOW), you will be able to gain acceptance to a US allopathic school. As long as your interview skills are decent (Practise!) you should be fine.

I'm a Canadian who wants to practise in Canada. I was accepted to an American school, and I was ready to attend that school for first year and try to get into a Canadian school the following year (thus maybe having to repeat first year again). So we are in a similar situation. I know what you mean about not wanting to waste anymore time, because I felt/feel the same way. I was lucky, the Canadian school let me in this year, so I don't have to worry anymore. Anyhow, hopefully you can derive some meaning from my garbled opinion, feel free to PM me if you like. Good luck!

Potato!

criminallyinane said:
Unless your advisor physically filled out AACOMAS for you, I don't see how you can blame this on her. You didn't have to apply DO, but you did, and now you are faced with either going to the osteopathic school, or losing a year of your life/a sure thing/a lot of money.

I'm in Texas, so we have same app. for MD/DO.

jtank said:
okay, if you say so. i don't see how that is relevant to anything said here. :confused:

It's somewhat implied that you have a negative attitude toward DO's since you would not attend them but it's ironic because the medical school you attend used to be a DO school. It's all kind of silly. If people don't want to be DO's they shouldn't apply to DO schools. If the OP has decided that he or she doesn't want to attend a DO school then he or she should withdraw so someone that wants to attend the school can attend. I didn't apply to DO schools because I would rather reapply and give MD schools another shot.

OP, I think that DO is a way better option than becoming an IMG. You will get less questions about your degree from your patients but such questioning isn't necessarily negative.

jtank said:

Alright let's see, this is a toughie... hmmm.. My point was: don't be hipocritical!! If your school used to be a DO school, then that must mean there is little difference between the educations of MD and DO's. I mean, if you really never wanted to go to a DO school, why the heck go to an MD school that retains the DO legacy???

oudoc08 said:
Don't go somewhere where you know you won't be happy. If you don't want to be a DO, then don't. You can reapply next year, and when it comes time to answer the question about not attending after being accepted, you can turn it into a positive response, by saying that the school you were accepted at was your last choice, and you felt your opportunities would be maximized by deferring and buffing up your application to attend school "X". (You would of course use this in school "X"'s application/interview. :)

Don't let the "any medical school MD or DO" is good enough, replies on here, make you feel some sort of an obligation. You've made it clear that you don't want to be a DO.

Make yourself feel better. Out there somewhere, is some soul who wants desperately to be a DO, and by deferring your acceptance, you'll not only fulfill his/her life's dream, but you'll also be much happier yourself, when you finally get that MD acceptance next year.

Your stats sound pretty good. If it were me, I would do everything you could to find out exactly where your application was lacking in the eyes of each MD school, and strive over the next year to close those gaps.

actually, I think this advice is really quite good. Listen to oudoc. :thumbup: :) So ya, I would also lean towards saying re-apply, for the reasons oudoc outlined above (all those who say go to the DO school, I think there's really something to be said about someone who doesn't want it taking up the spot of someone else who desperately wants it...)

the thing I would add is that saying the DO school was last on your choice list may not be very tactful... that's still a little negative. Why not say, after deeply reflecting on it and bringing lots of things into consideration, you decided to reapply in the hopes of buffing up your profile and attending the school(s) you really had your heart set on. Say that you realize you took a risk in this decision, but that you felt sometimes in life you have to take risks, especially when you look at things from every angle and feel you have improved odds.

Also, research the hell out of the schools you really want to go to and convince the adcoms you and the school fit together.

Good luck! :thumbup:

thehopeful said:
I'm in Texas, so we have same app. for MD/DO.

holy crap, you got into Ft. Worth school?? That's one of the best DO schools in the nation... does a crapload of research and has an excellent reputation. Go there!!

sga814 said:
Alright let's see, this is a toughie... hmmm.. My point was: don't be hipocritical!! If your school used to be a DO school, then that must mean there is little difference between the educations of MD and DO's. I mean, if you really never wanted to go to a DO school, why the heck go to an MD school that retains the DO legacy???

I would call it quits on trying to reason with him. He hasn't even started the medical school application process yet (graduating from UCI undergrad in 2006, not medical school)

Seriously though, I wonder how the OP was accepted to TCOM if he doesn't want to be a DO. Must've done some sly work right there.

TCOM is an awesome school. I don't know why anyone would turn it down. It is state-funded, has I believe the only OMM research institute in the country, and even has the recognition (it is ranked in the top 50 of US N&WR for primary care, if that means anything).

oh, and also consider retaking the mcat... a 30P is an excellent score, but the recent mcat inflation trends is really quite crazy these days... honestly the average for the matriculant just rises a little bit each year! I was just reading in another forum how it's getting to be like 33 for the average, when you're flipping through the newest msar... :eek: :( :eek:

sga814 said:

you don't know what you are talking about.
first of all, i go to undergrad, not med school.
second, i don't care if it was a DO school, i didn't know that and i don't care either.
third, i don't like DO schools and i don't like you either. :thumbdown:

crazy_cavalier said:
oh, and also consider retaking the mcat... a 30P is an excellent score, but the recent mcat inflation trends is really quite crazy these days... honestly the average for the matriculant just rises a little bit each year! I was just reading in another forum how it's getting to be like 33 for the average, when you're flipping through the newest msar... :eek: :( :eek:

The reason the MCAT scores are going up is because the number of applicants is increasing.

jtank said:
second, i don't care if it was a DO school, i didn't know that and i don't care either.

This is plain childish. :thumbdown:

LVDoc said:
This is plain ignorance. :thumbdown:

why are you so offended by anything i say? i'm not the only person that doesn't like DO schools, give it a rest.
if you like it, good for you.

jtank said:

oooo, didn't realize you're only an undergrad. My mistake. But I bet UC-Irvine is (hehe- was), your top choice med school... ey?? ;)

sga814 said:
oooo, didn't realize you're only an undergrad. My mistake. But I bet UC-Irvine is (hehe- was), your top choice med school... ey?? ;)

hell yea dude, you know it. i hope i get into any california med school.

sga814 said:

UVa's my undergrad, and it is also my very top, toppity top top choice for med school. :love: :love:

If / when I get in, I'd definitely withdraw from all the other schools and cash a deposit, *pronto*

thehopeful said:

Here’s my story: I applied this cycle got 5 interviews and was accepted to a DO school, I don’t want to go. There are many reasons why, first I do believe there is stigma there and will be after 4years when I apply for residency. I also have come to realize it is difficult to get into certain allopathic residency as a DO. I don’t want this to turn into a MD/DO thing.
I thought I would get into an MD program this year with my stats but I think it’s not going to happen now.
So here are my options, go to DO school (I’m not going to do it), go to the Caribbean (I am thinking about it), re-apply. And if I reapply I am gonna have to answer the question “Have you ever been accepted to medical school, if so why didn’t you go?” and I understand some adcoms will probably not like that fact that I said NO to a med school. Even thought, most of them in my position would probably do the same. If I reapply and not get in, I’ll go to Caribbean and I’m cool with that, but I don’t want to lose a year.

So I have come up with another option, what if I go to Caribbean (I have gotten into a school) and apply in US this upcoming cycle, if I get in then I’ll go if not I can stay at carribbean. I understand the money for traveling and stuff but I don’t and have never cared for money.

Also, there are people on this board that have re-applied even thought they got into an MD school, b/c it wasn’t their top choice, I remember seeing that thread. Can you give me advice on how you navigated the question that’s on the application?

And please advice me on what to say on why I chose not to go to the DO school. I have some stuff as I wrote, but I need more.

Also, I didn't want to apply there AT ALL, but I got really bad advice from my advisor. After I told her I didn't wanna go there at all, she realized that she made a mistake on advicing me that but the damage is already done.

Thanx SDNers.

Just wondering: When you initially applied to DO' schools did yu not think there is a stigma associated with that program?

If you are worried about next years adcoms shooting you down for reapplying then you can LIE to them about why you didn't accept your MD application. Infact, you can say ____________________ happened

...that can be:
loss of grandparents
loss of sibling
loss of dog...strech this one out

it can also be:
Want to Travel
Seeking more time to explore other options

And while this may seem dishonest I still don't understand why you got screwed over so badly...your story is probably going to give me a nightmare tonight because I am applying next year

riceman04 said:
Just wondering: When you initially applied to DO' schools did yu not think there is a stigma associated with that program?

I didn't want to apply to any DO schools at all, but I got really bad advice from my advisor. After I told her I didn't wanna go there at all ( after accepted), she realized that she made a mistake on advicing me that but the damage is already done

I only applied to that DO school cause in tx all you have to do is check another box, so i didn't have to go through AACOMS or whatever it is.

thehopeful said:
I only applied to that DO school cause in tx all you have to do is check another box, so i didn't have to go through AACOMS or whatever it is.

How did you get past the interview? Didn't they ask you anything about your experience with shadowing a DO or your interest in the philosophy and even OMT?

What's done is done. Don't worry about dropping the acceptance if it means that much to you. However, I would not recommend doing the Carib thing either. Since you are concerned about stigma, realize that Carib MD's carry more stigma than DO's do. (Don't shoot the messenger, read some of the Allo and DO boards.)

swifteagle43 said:
And while this may seem dishonest I still don't understand why you got screwed over so badly...your story is probably going to give me a nightmare tonight because I am applying next year

That's nothing. There are worse nightmares on this board. I can personally tell you some worse nightmares if you're interested :eek:

swifteagle43 said:
If you are worried about next years adcoms shooting you down for reapplying then you can LIE to them about why you didn't accept your MD application. Infact, you can say ____________________ happened

...that can be:
loss of grandparents
loss of sibling

it can also be:
Want to Travel

oh i know two other people with better stats then me that got into DO school: 3.8/30 and 3.75/32.

that said i know more people with crappy numbers that have gotten into places that waitlisted/rejected me. and to tell the truth i know some of them kind of well, and to me they don't even seem all there.
but thsi process is RANDOM, so my advice apply to 30 schools and make sure some of them are crappy (have low numbers)

sga814 said:

Yeah, and Los Angeles used to be a barren desert, so obviously everybody who lives in L.A. should be equally comfortable living in the Sahara. Harvard didn't used to admit women, so any women who goes there is a traitor to her gender. Heck, at one point in history, Mayo didn't even exist. Bet those fools who decided to go to Mayo didn't realize that! They're going to an imaginary school!

LVDoc said:
How did you get past the interview? Didn't they ask you anything about your experience with shadowing a DO or your interest in the philosophy and even OMT?

dude i did their secondary on last day and last minute and totally BSed. my interviewes were BS. with one dude we talked for liek 10 minutes. i think at this this school they will take people with high numbers that other TX schools screwed over, b/c tx has a match system.
I know people who interviwed at all tx schools (7 of them), matched here and their numbers were 3.75/32, and 3.8/30, and only got waitlisted at 1/6 schools, so bad interviweres or something and this school (DO one) was their 7th choice. I got waitlisted at the other 4 schools, so i must be doing something right.
all this said, me and these other people are asians.

i'm just saying this, please i still want serious advice and wanna hear other's experiences, so let's not turn this into a race thing.

Hang in there dude, I think we are being screwed over somewhat by UH's crappy reputation. If you take a year off and do something spectacular for your app, you'd probably get in somewhere next fall.

To LVDoc: TCOM doesn't really care that much about the whole osteo philosophy thing, they just consider themselves another rung on the Texas match. So it doesn't surprise me that they asked the OP nothing about the osteopathic philosophy of practice or anything. Personally, I think they should be removed from the match, because everyone who applies to the match is pretty much applying to MD schools and uses them as a back-up. But Texas is screwy anyways, so they'll probably keep their weird system.

Maybe they should be removed the match. Personally, I don't think so. By being a part of the match system, they are serving to promote some collegiality between the "separate, but equal" professions. Personally, one centralized application system would streamline this process much better. The only caveat about the TX system is that there is an in-state acceptance rule, I believe - a mandate to take 90% residents, right?

Thehopeful, I am not going to comment specifically on the situation you are currently facing because I don't want to participate in another one of these debates. With that said, I will reiterate what other posters have said - by matriculating this year, you will be saving yourself one year, guaranteed a spot, and will not have to go through this grueling application process another time.

In the event you decide to reapply to U.S. allopathic schools, apply broadly. The fact that two of the other candidates you know also matched at TCOM only proves that the system is working, in whatever random fashion that may be. In this sense, it does not appear that your situation is an isolated case.

getunconcsious said:
Hang in there dude, I think we are being screwed over somewhat by UH's crappy reputation. If you take a year off and do something spectacular for your app, you'd probably get in somewhere next fall.

To LVDoc: TCOM doesn't really care that much about the whole osteo philosophy thing, they just consider themselves another rung on the Texas match. So it doesn't surprise me that they asked the OP nothing about the osteopathic philosophy of practice or anything. Personally, I think they should be removed from the match, because everyone who applies to the match is pretty much applying to MD schools and uses them as a back-up. But Texas is screwy anyways, so they'll probably keep their weird system.

dude i hear you on UH thing. I talked to a dean of one of the school that waitlisted me and he basically said YEAH, to my face. I was thinking to my self why the hell have ya'll lied to me for the past 4 yrs, i would have gone to UT to A&M. I had gotten in and had scholarships. bunch of liers.
I still blame my self for being stupid and naive, for not realizing how the world works.
so you can't sleep either, i got a legitimate reason, what about you.
I think if you search on mdapplcant on people with your stat from other school, you will see some ivy leagues. i think i saw some rice people.

thehopeful said:
dude i hear you on UH thing. I talked to a dean of one of the school that waitlisted me and he basically said YEAH, to my face. I was thinking to my self why the hell have ya'll lied to me for the past 4 yrs, i would have gone to UT to A&M. I had gotten in and had scholarships. bunch of liers.
I still blame my self for being stupid and naive, for not realizing how the world works.
so you can't sleep either, i got a legitimate reason, what about you.
I think if you search on mdapplcant on people with your stat from other school, you will see some ivy leagues. i think i saw some rice people.

Yeah, it drives me nuts cuz I got into a lot of other places for undergrad as well, but UH gave me a total full ride. That said, I already have searched my stats and people from better undergrads are at Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, etc. But life goes on. I'll be buying my first Mercedes while they're still 100K+ in debt. The beauty of state schools. :cool:

I have no legitimate excuse to be up except that I'm back home in Nevada (holla at Las Vegas!) so I'm in the Pacific time zone. It's 1:30 here, as opposed to 3:30 there. Go to sleep! :sleep:

LVDoc said:
Maybe they should be removed the match. Personally, I don't think so. By being a part of the match system, they are serving to promote some collegiality between the "separate, but equal" professions. Personally, one centralized application system would streamline this process much better. The only caveat about the TX system is that there is an in-state acceptance rule, I believe - a mandate to take 90% residents, right?

The problem with the match system is that it is way too conducive to a 'hierarchy' among the Texas schools. Some schools know that you will rank them low (Tech, TCOM and to a lesser extent A&M) and will even say so on interview day. Therefore, they don't try all that hard (i.e. no hard-hitting questions about osteopathy at TCOM). I see what you're saying about TCOM's presence in the match making them more equal, but you can't have it both ways. They can't insist that people follow the doctrines of DO medicine when they know that they're the dead-last rank for people applying to MD schools. Does that make sense? The match only helps the UT system schools, because everyone wants to go to those. The other schools tend to get only the 'leftovers', hampering their ability to screen candidates for sincere interest.

swifteagle43 said:

...that can be:
loss of grandparents
loss of sibling

it can also be:
Want to Travel

He's not the only one to get "screwed over." This happens. The best applicants with 4.0's and 40's sometimes get all waitlists and rejections. It's just the process and we don't know his full story -- how are his EC's? How does he interview? How were his LOR's? Etc.

But telling someone to lie about the death of a family member is totally unethical, disgusting, shameful and wrong. Not to mention it will get you expelled faster than you can say "sucka" if/when the admissions committee finds out your ass lied.

sacrament said:
Yeah, and Los Angeles used to be a barren desert, so obviously everybody who lives in L.A. should be equally comfortable living in the Sahara. Harvard didn't used to admit women, so any women who goes there is a traitor to her gender. Heck, at one point in history, Mayo didn't even exist. Bet those fools who decided to go to Mayo didn't realize that! They're going to an imaginary school!

:laugh: Best. Post. Ever.

I was told from an advisor at a DO school that if you also want to add the MD to your title, it only takes one extra test! I'm going to do more research about it, but if it's true, why not go to the DO school, then if you really want the MD (which is pretty much the same thing), then study and take the MD exam! Either way, I never really understood the whole MD vs DO controversy. A physician is a physician. I'm just keeping my options open :D

melissa123 said:
I was told from an advisor at a DO school that if you also want to add the MD to your title, it only takes one extra test! I'm going to do more research about it, but if it's true, why not go to the DO school, then if you really want the MD (which is pretty much the same thing), then study and take the MD exam! Either way, I never really understood the whole MD vs DO controversy. A physician is a physician. I'm just keeping my options open :D

The advisor from the DO school is 100% wrong. You can take the USMLE to match into allopathic residencies, but that doesn't grant you the MD degree. The only way to get an MD is to go to an allopathic program. Or, there's some stupid program in the Caribeean for "health professionals" where you do clerkships and pay an extraordinary amount of money and then take the USMLE and they give you an MD, but this MD is from an off-shore school that is essentially functioning as a diploma-mill, for-profit enterprise. So it's not a very respectable "MD."

Go be an orderly or something... The Osteopathic profession does not need closet MD's to dilute our profession. Oh, and if the thing you are most worried about is the way others will see and judge you based on where you went to school I suggest you seriously re-evaluate your decision to go into medicine. :thumbdown:

To answer the OP's question. I think you need to evaluate some things first. Although it could be just plan ignorance, I wouldn't apply to a DO school either, so we see eye to eye on that one. I wouldn't waste money on going to a Carribean either. REAPPLY, but reapply after evaluating some things:

1) Which medical schools did you apply to? You have average scores, but depending on whether you are a URM or not, those scores would probably keep you out of most of them. (Just to stop any comments about this, I'M BLACK). If you applied to lower tier schools like Howard, Meharry, or your state school then you might have gotten in. I would really be interested in which schools you applied to, because that could have been your problem all along. Maybe the schools were too highly ranked for your stats.

2) If you did wait a year and reapply, what would you do for that year. It should be something absolutely amazing. Something that truly shows your love for medicine like EMT. I don't know...I'm just saying that if you are going to wait a year, make that year meaningful.

3) What did you do badly in your interviews that might have kept you out of those schools? I think you should evaluate your performance in those interviews and improve on that for your future ones.

Thats all I got right now. But look at those things, and reapply. I've met many doctors you aren't happy in their practice because they settled for where they currently are. If you believe you can get into a MD school, go for it.

I think that you should suck it up and realize that life does not always turn out as we expect it to. You may surprise yourself and end up happy at this DO school. Let life take its course, don't force something (a prestigious MD school) that wasn't meant to happen. Reevaluate your priorities and what is important to you in the long run. Sometimes we are so focused on a specific narrow goal that we tend to lose sight of whats important.

Status
Not open for further replies.