OH MY GOD Ahhhhhhhhh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tigress said:
Except that people CHOOSE to become DOs. And DO schools were set up by people who WANTED them to be different! Of course they're different! That was the whole point to begin with; why else would they have been created?

Thats not what all of the arguement is about. Its not about the inherent differences. We all know they are a little different! The aregument results because of jerks like you and all the rest that always have to say... "yeah, we agree osteopaths are good doctors, (just as long as we agree that allopaths are a little better! ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going to get into any of the arguments about DO vs. MD thing, but I'm going to give some sound advice.

If you really don't want to go to a particular school, and know it with all your heart, then one year to spare is not going to kill you.

Last year, a friend of mine got into an MD school in North Dakota because her dad did residency there. She had gone to Northwestern for undergrad and was an economics and premed major, and even took some premed prereqs at Harvard during the summer. She didn't really care about going to IVY league for med school, but really really wanted to go to the state school in the city where her dad practices, so that she could come back home and be closer to her family. As a result, she decided to reapply and retook the MCAT. She had a decent score the first time, but realized she could do better and thus took it again to get in the mid 30's. In the meanwhile, she also did research at the Moffitt cancer center which got presented in Japan. Finally, she changed her application by taking extra science courses for 3 semesters, and got close to a 4.0 in hard science classes, of which many classes she took were graduate level.

The moral of the story:

If you are genuinely not interested in a school, don't go there. You will take the spot away from someone whom would be glad to come off the waitlist and go to that school. If you feel that you can get into an MD school, apply there instead and apply broad range of schools. Talk to the admissions directors of the schools you are interested in and find out what you can do to improve your application. You may even want to consider the Georgetown SMP or Finch SMP program or the one like that at NJMS. They are all one year master's programs which give you a higher chance of med school acceptance if you do extremely well. But remember those programs are really competitive and hard because you are taking med school classes.

Now, about the MCAT. Your score is good, but if you think you can bring it up to 33 or above, retake it. If not, don't. If it is research that is what they found to be lacking, try to do some undergrad research for the year off.

BOTTOM LINE: CALL ADMISSIONS DIRECTORS AND ASK HOW YOU CAN IMPROVE YOUR APPLICATION!!!!!! DO WHAT THEY SAY AND KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That last sentence, is the most important. Adcoms like to see persistent and determined applications. Maybe get new letters of recommendation and revamp your application and personal statement, etc.

If you truly want it, you can get it at an MD School. Try to apply to places like Finch, NYMC, Albany, SLU, and Drexel, which are out of state friendly and not so bad on the stats.

Oh and one more thing APPLY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bottom line: if you are in this to practice medicine and help people, go to the DO school

if you are this for prestige, pride, money, or glory then reapply

Members don't see this ad :)
Shodddy18 said:
Thats not what all of the arguement is about. Its not about the inherent differences. We all know they are a little different! The aregument results because of jerks like you and all the rest that always have to say... "yeah, we agree osteopaths are good doctors, (just as long as we agree that allopaths are a little better! ;) )

I'm glad you think I'm a jerk. Usually when the real jerks think I'm a jerk it just re-affirms that I'm a good person.

Who said allopaths are better? Some people prefer DOs, as somebody brought up earlier in the thread. I just think the race analogy is completely and utterly off. I see no similarities between being born into a race which has prejudice against it and choosing to go to a medical school that espouses a certain philosophy which was intended to be a better alternative to the traditional allopathic philosophy.

Actually, I think it's the DOs who believe they are better, in many regards, because they take a more "holistic" approach to medicine, and because they focus on the whole philosophy as stated in a previous thread. DO schools were created to teach osteopathic medical philosophy as an alternative to allopathic. They were not intended to turn out doctors who are the same as the ones coming from MD schools, that simply was not, and presumably is not, their purpose. So why argue that they're the same? It just doesn't make sense.

teh-t said:
bottom line: if you are in this to practice medicine and help people, go to the DO school

yeah that's a fair assessment :rolleyes:

and obviously if he re-applies, that *surely* means he doesnt want to help people and he's not in it to practice medicine.

Theres another one of those oppinions!

......Sniff Sniff..... Whats that smell? :laugh:

By the way tigress, im sorry. This wasnt all meant for you. Im just unloading a bunch of stuff on a lot of people with whoom you seem to share some ideas, maybe not all of them.

Shodddy18 said:
double post, my bad.
Shoddy, why don't you just delete your double posts bro? come on now, what D.O. school do you go to again?...lol totally kidding.

jbm44 said:
Shoddy, why don't you just delete your double posts bro? come on now, what D.O. school do you go to again?...lol totally kidding.

oh that's just plain tasteful...

:laugh: but quite appropriate given the crappiness that this thread has come to be...

jbm44 said:

dude, I didnt even know that option existed until you said that... LOL

wareagle said:
I don't know, why were Howard and Meharry created? To be different, like you suggest?
There are similarities between being black and being a DO, as well as differences. Pointing out the differences does not preclude that similarities exist.

Don't compare HBC's to DO schools. Tigress is not completely wrong. First off, though most DO's may be closer to MD's in this day and age, that was not always the case for a reason. When the MD whom created DO schools did so, he did so because he didn't like the MD philosophy and wanted to be different.

African Americans did not choose to create an all black school, solely because they wanted to, but because segregation and racism kept them out of many many many non HBC institutions. Need I remind you that AA's have only gotten more equal opportunities in the past 50 years or so, but that was not the case prior to the 60's when segregation was still around. So don't try to compare the situation of an AA to that of a DO school.

teh-t said:

Both DO's and MD's care about patients. But honestly, would you really want someone to go to a school they know they wouldn't be happy in????? Med school is tough enough as it is, so why make it worse by not being happy where you are at???

To the original poster:

Follow your heart. A good friend of mine was in your situation. He really wants to go the MD route rather then the DO route. So he didn't even apply to DO schools. After two times applying, he still didn't get in. So he has chosen to do the Georgetown SMP and will reapply. At least he did what he felt was right. I don't think a person should go where they don't really want to go. If you really want to go to an MD school, reapply and try to improve your application. Find out what admissions committees are looking for, by talking to them. Good luck.

Ok, I need to get back to studying... Last exam tomorrow! So im stepping off of the soapbox before a riot breaks out and it gets carried away with me on it.

By the way Tigress, I didnt mean to be so harsh, I was just trying to make a point and went to far. My apologies

Shodddy18 said:
Theres another one of those oppinions!

......Sniff Sniff..... Whats that smell? :laugh:

By the way tigress, im sorry. This wasnt all meant for you. Im just unloading a bunch of stuff on a lot of people with whoom you seem to share some ideas, maybe not all of them.
Oh yeah, last time I checked, "oppinions" only has one p, what school was that again that you're at?

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
Both DO's and MD's care about patients. But honestly, would you really want someone to go to a school they know they wouldn't be happy in????? Med school is tough enough as it is, so why make it worse by not being happy where you are at???

To the original poster:

Follow your heart. A good friend of mine was in your situation. He really wants to go the MD route rather then the DO route. So he didn't even apply to DO schools. After two times applying, he still didn't get in. So he has chosen to do the Georgetown SMP and will reapply. At least he did what he felt was right. I don't think a person should go where they don't really want to go. If you really want to go to an MD school, reapply and try to improve your application. Find out what admissions committees are looking for, by talking to them. Good luck.

My apology on my misguided earlier remark, as mentioned, go where your heart tells you. As long as you are happy with the choice you are making, then it is the right chioce

jbm44 said:
Oh yeah, last time I checked, "oppinions" only has one p, what school was that again that your at?

small suggestion: if you're gonna nail someone for a typo, make sure you don't have one in the post you make nailing them for a typo...

(/s/"your"/"you're")

;)

jbm44 said:
Oh yeah, last time I checked, "oppinions" only has one p, what school was that again that your at?

Oh no. I made a typo while typing to fast... I guess that means I will never amount to anything... Boooo Hoooo :(

oh my gosh, OP, you realize you're going to have to tell us what decision you finally make, right???? You can't let this thread bloom like this and then not tell us, you just can't!! :D

crazy_cavalier said:
small suggestion: if you're gonna nail someone for a typo, make sure you don't have one in the post you make nailing them for a typo...

(/s/"your"/"you're")

;)
lol...I'm just playing with you all, nice catch. Actually that was bait because I was hoping someone would slam me with the same thing just to show how lame this thread has progressed.

Good work bro.

tigress said:
DO NOT CALL ME "DEAR"!!!!
I definitely apologize if I've hit a sore spot there, Tigress. That certainly wasn't my intent. I strongly disagree with your opinion on this subject, but I didn't intend any offence or hurt feelings.

"Dear" was not meant to be a diminutive. Apologies if it came out that way. You'll notice from a few sentences later that I use it again in a different context. Just an expression of mine. I disagree with you, but am not attacking you. Apologies if it was interpreted that way.

tigress said:
I never said it wasn't medicine.
When you put a qualifier of "osteopathic" on the word medicine in the way you used it, it modifies the way medicine is practiced. "Osteopathic medicine" in your use implies that it is a different field than "allopathic medicine" which is inaccurate and misleading. That's what I was pointed out. This is also why some politicians don't like being called "gay senators" or health care providers "male nurses".

My friend's grandfather once came back from an appointment telling my buddy that he just got back from seeing his "lady doctor". That kind of thing.

tigress said:
I don't like your insinuation.
Oh dear. It was not an insinuation, it was a joke. Just to be extra-careful that folks wouldn't get overly sensitive about this (and SDNers can sure be an overly sensitive bunch) I used the emoticon ;-) which I thought made it pretty clear that it was a joke. Short of using a <joke> tag, I'm not sure what else I could have done.

tigress said:
I'm not quite sure why I'm arguing.
Me neither. Some say to the OP to go the DO route, others say stay true to the MD degree. I think folks started degenerating into arguing when it became a pi$$ing contest into "My MD is better than your DO" and "My DO is better than your MD".

crazy_cavalier said:
Ya, when I read that post (by notdeadyet) I was totally taken-back by that condescending "dear". Seriously, it was not cool. And don't say, "it's how we talk around here," because the rest of the world talks a different way.
To some folks, we use the term "dear" when we're trying to be patient with someone. Some folks apparently view it as something you only use with a child. Must be a regional thing.

But I do like the fact that "dear" apparently causes offense, whereas "Pull your head out of your a$$" doesn't. Not that the latter bothers me. I just find it amusing that calling someone "dear" would take someone aback but telling them to pull their head out of their a$$ wouldn't. Different strokes, I suppose.

It's been a while since I visited SDN, I used to be addicted to this site when I was in the application process. It's nice to see that some things never change, the DO vs. MD debate will live on until the end of time in at least one of it's many incarnations. My first inclination was to respond to the OP that he'd be an idiot to give up a sure thing for something he imagines must be better. Then as I read through some of the other posts and considered my own experience this last year I realized that med school is hard even if you like being where you are. Being somewhere you don't think you belong is a bad idea.
However, have you considered that you may never get into any other school. I had a buddy with good grades (from cornell) and a 36 on the MCAT. He applied to 20+ schools for 3 years running and he never got in anywhere. Sometimes your personality just rubs people the wrong way and there is little you can do to change the impressions you leave in interviews. I'm not saying you should go somewhere you won't be happy but maybe you should rethink you're prejudice and see if you might be able to be happy in a DO program. Doctors are doctors, I would have gladly gone to a DO school if I hadn't been accepted to an MD program.

P.S. crazy_cavalier you've got it right, UVa is a great school. I love the faculty and the students in our program.

Shodddy18 said:
While most of this is true, it is somewhat dated. Shall we talk about the allopathic medical treatments durring Still's day? At the time of its conception, the efficacy of OMT was greater than what was available in the allopathic community. Over the past 125 years both osteopathic and allopathic medicine have evolved equally. There is nothing in the allopathic world that is not utalized by osteopathic physicians. Since stills day, there have been huge leaps in our understanding of physiology, so what Still wrote back then has evolved. No osteopath will tell you that OMT is a definitive treatment for every disease. However they will tell you that it is an extremely useful tool to use as an adjunct in treatment.

And why is it that everyone says they dont believe in OMT... you cant knock it until you try it, and Im sure most of you have no FIRST HAND experiences with it.

The reason everyones says they don't believe in OMT, is because you shouldn't "believe" anything in science. Without substantial research to back up the claims, they are just that. A study here and there coupled with testimonials is characteristic of reflexology, and other alternative therapies.
Do they work? Who knows. Maybe. But it isn't scientific or accepted medical practice to "believe" in modalities. Thus OMT remains voodoo for most practicioners, and continues only for the purposes of allowing the AOA to keep their jobs by having a reason to deny MD's access to DO residencies, and thus preventing true integration of the two titles.

ShyRem said:
The prejudice of DO vs. MD is very similar to the prejudice of negros vs. white. While the truth is that neither is superior nor inferior to the other, you will never convince those in the throes of bigotry of their ignorance. Gain comfort from the cold bare fact that the proponents of separatist and elitist behavior and thinking must look at themselves every day in the mirror.

Absolutely 100% correct. And an even further glaring similarity is the "separate, but equal" demands by the leadership. As in, you can't have a "Miss White America" which excludes blacks, but "Miss Black America" which excludes whites is viewed as progressive.
So is the DO residency, which excludes MD's.

Give us equality, give us your residency spots, just don't think about touching one of our residency spots, because you haven't learned to quack-pop somebody's neck, or feel their cranial pulsations. :rolleyes:

Do I have a reason to be pissed? You bet. OU no longer has a residency in Emergency Medicine. However, the DO school which is in Tulsa, has a GREAT ER residency program here. Ironically, they also staff the University hospital here! Nothing like getting shot in the back.
I would love, read LOVE, to get a spot in that program. It is a great program, very aggresive, with great docs, teachers, etc.

But I can't. Cuz I'm not "black".

Gee I wonder why there's still some disgruntlement towards DO's. Is it their fault? No. It's the fault of the AOA, but hey, you gotta have somebody to be pissed at. Sometimes it's the first person you run across that's associated with the field. Not fair, but that's life. Is there still prejudice against DO's? You bet. I see it, as covertly as I see racism, throughout the campus, but it's the falsetto smile up front, rolleyes behind your back, type.
Many of my good friends from undergrad are in DO school. They're all going to make great doctors, and I hope they do everything they can to effect change in the future.

If DO's want to rid themselves of the "racism" that is subtly present, they should do everything they can to get rid of the "separate" part of equality.

First of all, you guys have hijacked this thread into something twisted weird stuff. One person two or three pages ago wrote something about race and ya'll jumped on it. Some of the stuff written I'm laughing like crazy but I'm crying on the inside. I knew when that person wrote it that this thread was gonna go on a tangent. I've seen this before on other threads, where you read the OP's thing and go to the next page and you're like what the hell has this turned into.

All that said, you guys have helped me A LOT, and I think I still have some time to think about it. I kind of know what I'm going to do. I posted this at 2am, in 16 hours this thing has blown up. See this is why I love, and am addicted to SDN. It's drama, comedy, and everything at same time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If I do have to reapply could ya'll please post MORE SCHOOLS that are friendly to out-of-staters. and know of a place/book that can give more of this info. I'm from Texas.

Thank you, and keep it going I still wanna opinions.

P.S. anyone know someone or themselves that have transferred from DO to MD school, and what reason did they use. Obviously, The spouse thing won't work for me.

I'm thinking about posting this in general surgery forum, since i'm interested in that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also LOVE UVA, I have been there and it's amazing, i would chose UVA over any school, but those ******** didn't interview me. I was there for summer program.

And I hear those stories of people with great numbers not getting in multiple times, and I realize that.
but I did get 4 MD interview and they ALL waitlisted me, so i figure i'll apply to more OOS schools and hope that I get in one.

ohio state and medical university of ohio

tigress said:
Always on these boards the DO people get so defensive, when I wasn't even attacking you (re-read my post!).

Seriously. It's a huge double standard. An MD who defends her profession is "elitist;" the DO who defends his feels justified.

Shodddy18 said:

Nobody said that. We said they are different and naturally, both people will want to defend their respective professions. You all say that MD's are cold and unfeeling ALL THE TIME, but we don't attack you for it. Yet here you are, calling Tigress (an incredibly kind poster) a jerk.

Why don't you go back to pre-osteo instead of trying to incite riots here? This kind of behavior from a pre-allo poster wouldn't be tolerated in the osteo forums, and the same should be true here.

To the OP:

I think that deep in your heart you already know the answer to your question because when I am put in these types of situation, I immediately know what make sense for me, but I always try to think too hard, which causes me unnecessary stress. You should definitely follow your gut feeling! Only you know what is best for you.....no matter what other people say!

I'm now in the process of applying and my gut tells me to only apply to MD schools (US and 2 Caribbean schools). When I spoke to my pre-med advisor, the told me to consider the DO route also, but my gut tells me no. Also, you do not want to invest all these years in med school and residency and be unhappy with the type of medical degree that you get (MD vs. DO). Just my $.02 ;)

oudoc08 said:
The reason everyones says they don't believe in OMT, is because you shouldn't "believe" anything in science. Without substantial research to back up the claims, they are just that. A study here and there coupled with testimonials is characteristic of reflexology, and other alternative therapies.
Do they work? Who knows. Maybe. But it isn't scientific or accepted medical practice to "believe" in modalities. Thus OMT remains voodoo for most practicioners, and continues only for the purposes of allowing the AOA to keep their jobs by having a reason to deny MD's access to DO residencies, and thus preventing true integration of the two titles.

Wow, so you mean to tell me that something you have never devoted time to studying remains elusive to you! :eek: That is unheard of. You know, now that you mention it, I never payed much attention to photosynthesis in general biology... I knew all those botanists where a bunch of quacks. And all of those oncologists experimenting with chemotherapeutics because they "think" it may work.... what a bunch of voodoo priests! What? So you are saying that although there is evidence a treatment modality works, it shouldnt be used because the exact mechanism has yet to be worked out. Somehow I think that if the rest of humanity followed these standards medicine as we know it would not exist. :idea:

criminallyinane said:
Nobody said that. We said they are different and naturally, both people will want to defend their respective professions. You all say that MD's are cold and unfeeling ALL THE TIME, but we don't attack you for it. Yet here you are, calling Tigress (an incredibly kind poster) a jerk.

Why don't you go back to pre-osteo instead of trying to incite riots here? This kind of behavior from a pre-allo poster wouldn't be tolerated in the osteo forums, and the same should be true here.

??? never said anything of the sort.

By the way, this thread was posted in 6 (SIX) different forums. I orriginaly began to discuss it in the osteo and pre osteo forums. Then a moderator closed all of the duplicate threads down (rightly so) except for this one. I was just continuing with the thread in the only place I could.

And about tigress... read back... I explained my words and appologized for them sounding harsh.

Riot... I have incited nothing. I have only responded to other posts!

So back off

Hey, guys. There's no reason to start a big MD vs DO (or vice-versa) p!ssing contest.

As to the OP's question, you need to go to a school that you'll be happy with. You'll be spending 4 years and tons of money there.

I have just one question for you...why do you want to be a doctor???? I'm going to assume that it is because you want to help people (that's why many of us chose the field). If this is true, it does not matter what kind of school you go to. I'm an MD, but I certainly respect anyone that is maticulous and passionate about patient care...regardless of the initials behind their name. Again, I urge you to ask yourself...do I want to become a doctor to help folks??? Also, just my personal 2 cents...there are people on SDN that would die to be in your position and would jump at the opportunity to go to any medical school...you know where I'm going with this. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

thehopeful said:
Okay guys please help, I need some SERIOUS advice. I love SDN and the people on it and I think this is the best place to get advice. This is probably going to be long but please help me.

Here’s my story: I applied this cycle got 5 interviews and was accepted to a DO school, I don’t want to go. There are many reasons why, first I do believe there is stigma there and will be after 4years when I apply for residency. I also have come to realize it is difficult to get into certain allopathic residency as a DO. I don’t want this to turn into a MD/DO thing.
My stats are 3.63/30P. I have been to two summer programs, one of which was MMEP. I have been hospital volunteer for 5 years, I have done research and I have had leadership positions in some clubs.
I thought I would get into an MD program this year with my stats but I think it’s not going to happen now.
So here are my options, go to DO school (I’m not going to do it), go to the Caribbean (I am thinking about it), re-apply. And if I reapply I am gonna have to answer the question “Have you ever been accepted to medical school, if so why didn’t you go?” and I understand some adcoms will probably not like that fact that I said NO to a med school. Even thought, most of them in my position would probably do the same. If I reapply and not get in, I’ll go to Caribbean and I’m cool with that, but I don’t want to lose a year.

So I have come up with another option, what if I go to Caribbean (I have gotten into a school) and apply in US this upcoming cycle, if I get in then I’ll go if not I can stay at carribbean. I understand the money for traveling and stuff but I don’t and have never cared for money.

Please advice me, go to DO, Caribbean, re-apply. To me the most important thing is not to waste a year. You can PM me if you want.

Also, there are people on this board that have re-applied even thought they got into an MD school, b/c it wasn’t their top choice, I remember seeing that thread. Can you give me advice on how you navigated the question that’s on the application?

And please advice me on what to say on why I chose not to go to the DO school. I have some stuff as I wrote, but I need more.

Also, I didn't want to apply there AT ALL, but I got really bad advice from my advisor. After I told her I didn't wanna go there at all, she realized that she made a mistake on advicing me that but the damage is already done.

Thanx SDNers.

To the OP,

I think this is a fairly simple choice. If you dont want the DO, and/or dont believe in OMM and whould hate learning it. Then reapply next year. I dont think any ADCOM is going to fault you for applying to a school, interviewing and once seeing the school deciding it wasnt for you.

The choice becomes more difficult if you dont really care either way about OMM and the thought of a DO is not totally abhorrent. Only because if you dont get in next year then youve only wasted time.

Good luck.

thehopeful said:
P.S. anyone know someone or themselves that have transferred from DO to MD school, and what reason did they use. Obviously, The spouse thing won’t work for me.

This is my last post to you and to this thread.

You started this pissing contest because you want to have an MD after your name rather than DO. After 7 pages of this crap and inflammed this issue.

You have the nerves to turn around and post this.

GET IT IN YOUR HEAD. Do what you prefer doing? Don't take someone's spot in a DO school to transfer over after year 2.

You got interview invites to MD programs and thats great. Hopefuly you will get in somewhere and will stop thinking DOs even happen.

I really wish ADCOMs can read everyone SDN posts and get an insight on the person being these posts. (BTW... If that happened I would not be accepted for sure.. hehehe)

thehopeful said:
P.S. anyone know someone or themselves that have transferred from DO to MD school, and what reason did they use. Obviously, The spouse thing won’t work for me.

Edit: Sorry I misread what you posted. Transferring schools can be done but requires the permission of your school. So if you don't want to go DO all the way, it's better not to enroll in the first place.

thehopeful said:
I'm thinking about posting this in general surgery forum, since i'm interested in that.

Please spare them. This is a Pre-Allo/Pre-Osteo type of topic and belongs in one of these forums (ONE!!!! NOT FOUR OR SIX OR EVERY SINGLE FORUM!!!!). Dozens of people have already answered your question in just about every way imaginable. If you're seriously looking for advice you've already gotten it. If you're just looking to stir things up and be an ass you've accomplished that as well.

Shodddy18 said:
Wow, so you mean to tell me that something you have never devoted time to studying remains elusive to you! :eek: That is unheard of. You know, now that you mention it, I never payed much attention to photosynthesis in general biology... I knew all those botanists where a bunch of quacks. And all of those oncologists experimenting with chemotherapeutics because they "think" it may work.... what a bunch of voodoo priests! What? So you are saying that although there is evidence a treatment modality works, it shouldnt be used because the exact mechanism has yet to be worked out. Somehow I think that if the rest of humanity followed these standards medicine as we know it would not exist. :idea:
I don't know how you possibly contrived these opinions based on anything I put in my post. My point was that science is not based on "believing" in something. It is based on facts, and disproving hypothesis'. Rarely is anything proved in science, yet we certainly don't accept things as unquestionably valid based upon scant research. It is accepted that many drugs have mechanisms of action which are not completely understood, as well as treatment modalities which have ill side effects yet to be determined. However, the community which supports OMT does not want it to be relegated to those ranks, rather many supporters use it as a tool right up there with the stethoscope, otoscope or opthalmoscope.

Let me listen to your lung or heart sounds. I'm pretty sure, I as well as any other medical professional would be able to come to pretty much the same conclusion.

Hmmm. Let's have 100 DO graduates feel cranial pulsations on a double-blind study, or see if they could all come to the same conclusions about a manual palpation of a subluxed vertebrae.

The fact is, many if not most DO students BS their way through OMT in school, picking out the pieces they like, and rolling their eyes at the rest. This is supported by the fact that it obviously doesn't work the visceral miracles that Still believed it did, or those DO students would be so absolutely amazed at its unique role in medicine that they would at least by a majority, incorporate it into clinical practice. The fact is, a huge majority disavow it as a regular tool, because they recognize that it is not statistically reproducible at least not in the role that osteopathy was founded upon. The DO's I know won't use it except to pop backs at a family reunion or the like (Get him to do some of the chiropractor stuff, Margaret. It'll make your back feel good"). I consider them the ones with good sense, but then again there will be the quacks setting up OMT clinics and making a killing private pay cash billing, "curing your asthma, gall bladder pain, depression, etc.", and screwing people out of a bunch of money.

So, you can twist my words anyway you want, but again, science is based upon facts. It's not perfect. Nobody claims that it is, but it is made better each day, by trimming the voodoo "fat".

thehopeful said:
First of all, you guys have hijacked this thread into something twisted weird stuff. One person two or three pages ago wrote something about race and ya’ll jumped on it. Some of the stuff written I’m laughing like crazy but I’m crying on the inside. I knew when that person wrote it that this thread was gonna go on a tangent. I’ve seen this before on other threads, where you read the OP’s thing and go to the next page and you’re like what the hell has this turned into.

All that said, you guys have helped me A LOT, and I think I still have some time to think about it. I kind of know what I’m going to do. I posted this at 2am, in 16 hours this thing has blown up. See this is why I love, and am addicted to SDN. It’s drama, comedy, and everything at same time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If I do have to reapply could ya’ll please post MORE SCHOOLS that are friendly to out-of-staters. and know of a place/book that can give more of this info. I’m from Texas.

Thank you, and keep it going I still wanna opinions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also LOVE UVA, I have been there and it's amazing, i would chose UVA over any school, but those ******** didn't interview me. I was there for summer program.

And I hear those stories of people with great numbers not getting in multiple times, and I realize that.
but I did get 4 MD interview and they ALL waitlisted me, so i figure i'll apply to more OOS schools and hope that I get in one.

Hey thehopeful, Listen whatever decision you make MAKE IT SOON! Youve had months to decide and Its almost June and your sitting on a spot that some poor person is dying to get. Dont be selfish and stop this immature nonsense. If you dont want to go, be an adult and make a decision, stop feeling sorry for yourself and blaming others for your decision to apply to a DO school.

SO my advice is to make a decision because some person out there is waiting aroung and rearranging their life hoping for a spot. I speak from experience I was on a waitlist spot last year and it put a lot of stress on me and my family, luckily it worked out for me, but it makes my blood boil to think that I was waiting for someone who seems to have a very shallow and immature view of medicine make a decision! :thumbdown:

P.S. I hope we all let this thread die soon.

Bottome Line: DO THE RIGHT THING make a decision...I HOPE YOU DO

Shodddy18 said:
Go be an orderly or something... The Osteopathic profession does not need closet MD's to dilute our profession. Oh, and if the thing you are most worried about is the way others will see and judge you based on where you went to school I suggest you seriously re-evaluate your decision to go into medicine. :thumbdown:

Great post.

It does not matter the reputation of a school MD or DO. If you do not want to go to DO then do not go that route. I would say reapply. Reapply for a total of three times (I don't remember if you have applied once or twice, but go for a total of three). After three go the foreign/carrib. route. This is what I would do

nico05 said:
Everytime I answer this question I get into an arguement with someone; regardless, my opinion has not changed, go to the DO school over a school in the Carribean. Much better opportunites are available upon graduation. Best of luck :thumbup:
word. you'll find it harder to get into residencies coming MD from the Carribean than DO in the US. you'll close doors moving on out to the islands, with DO, you still leave all open.

oudoc08 said:
Don't go somewhere where you know you won't be happy. If you don't want to be a DO, then don't. You can reapply next year, and when it comes time to answer the question about not attending after being accepted, you can turn it into a positive response, by saying that the school you were accepted at was your last choice, and you felt your opportunities would be maximized by deferring and buffing up your application to attend school "X". (You would of course use this in school "X"'s application/interview. :)

Don't let the "any medical school MD or DO" is good enough, replies on here, make you feel some sort of an obligation. You've made it clear that you don't want to be a DO.

Make yourself feel better. Out there somewhere, is some soul who wants desperately to be a DO, and by deferring your acceptance, you'll not only fulfill his/her life's dream, but you'll also be much happier yourself, when you finally get that MD acceptance next year.

Your stats sound pretty good. If it were me, I would do everything you could to find out exactly where your application was lacking in the eyes of each MD school, and strive over the next year to close those gaps.

I second this....

ShyRem said:
The prejudice of DO vs. MD is very similar to the prejudice of negros vs. white. While the truth is that neither is superior nor inferior to the other, you will never convince those in the throes of bigotry of their ignorance. Gain comfort from the cold bare fact that the proponents of separatist and elitist behavior and thinking must look at themselves every day in the mirror.

This is the most pathetic analogy I've ever heard. DO medicine was started by an MD whom wanted to be different. However, the AA's whom were treated so horribly in this country were done so by being forced into America in the historical days of America and then forced into slavery and then forced into unequal rights and segregation. Even today, with all that is done for URM's there are still a smaller number of URMs whom become doctors and other top positions then amongst caucasians and other groups and greater stigmas against them.

To compare one MD's radical decision to create a new physician's degree is totally different. Yes, in todays world they are not much different then an MD. However, the original intent was not created to be the same as an MD but different. I'm not against DO's but hate people making stupid analogies to racism and beliefs about DO vs. MD.

It is not the same thing in any right of passage.

OP:

Read my posts from before. You need to stop posting here and do what you need to do. Apply to Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, NYMC, Albany, SLU and a few other safety schools of that nature. Retake the MCAT and do what admissions advisors tell you to do, etc. Good luck.

Well, the OP has enough information to make a decision. Hopefully he will make the one that produces the fewest regrets. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.