1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

OH MY GOD! I DID NOT TAKE THE MCAT TODAY CAUSE THE ADMINISTRATOR DID NOT SHOW UP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ld106588, Aug 18, 2001.

1. ld106588

ld106588 Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh my gosh...you guys are not even going to belive this. I went to take the MCAT this morning at a Little Rock testing site and no test administrator showed up!!!!!!!!!!!! Me and about ten other students waited for an hour before a representative from Philander Smith College came and told us that the test would have to be administered tomorrow. What?
    I can't believe this really happened.

The reason, you might ask? Someone resigned and no one ever took over the testing duties!!!!! This has to be the MOST unprofessional school and event in general that I have ever heard of. I am scared that I won't even get to take it on Sunday...the person that came to tell us it was re-scheduled obviously had no idea what was going on!!!!! I just can't believe this...
    :mad:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    !!!!!!

That's wild - I've never even heard of anything close to that happening! Sort of like a stay of execution, eh? Don't stress too much about it, just relax today and keep your fingers crossed that someone shows up tomorrow!

4. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That is Horrible! But just try and relax for tomorrow. It could be worse too...last year there was a group of MCATs actually LOST! These students had to take the test OVER months later as I remember. Can you imagine that? Oh but they got their retake for free--lucky them!

Anyway, try not to let this snafu get to you, and for sure write the AAMC a letter when all is said and done to imform them of what happened!

5. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

That sucks... Oh well, at least you got an extra day to study... or to worry, rather.

6. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    and you'll have dozens of people posting about test topics on the test in here tonight...

Andrew

7. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

THAT's GREAT!
    find out all you can about the test that others took. go to another test site and talk to the students their and ask what was on their exam. to me, this would be great news. now, get ur ass other and snoop!

8. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The AAMC is all screwed up. I took the MCAT this past April. During the Bio Sci section I came across a word in a passage that was mispelled (e.g. centarl dogma instead of central dogma). I didn't complain about it to the administrator because it was the easiest passage of the whole day and didn't want them to mess with my answers. It was basically six free answers--who of us doesn't know the basics of the central dogma? In passing the administrator on my way to my car I made an off hand comment that there were spelling errors on the exam. She asked which section and I told her. In July, I got a letter thanking me for informing the AAMC of the error I had apparently "reported." I was furthered informed that that passage was not counted in my score totals for the BS section. I figure their error cost me at least a point on my BS score, maybe two. I feel my BS score (11) is good enough to get me into med school so I'm not going to pursue the matter further. If I don't get in though I am going be extremely pissed off. So just beware of what you say to your administator in relation to anything you think might be wrong with your copy of the test. You could end up screwing yourself over.

9. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

That sucks. But you know, if it was a really easy passage, it probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference, considering that they curve the exam and everything.

10. Vasiley Zaitsev

Vasiley Zaitsev Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The People that re took it were at my school. The best part about it was that the curve was WITHIN their small group!! In other words, some people got screwed (17) while the higher ones got 35+ (2 or 3 of them). Talk about a lucky break!

owcc

11. chilipina

chilipina Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone heard of Freaknik in ATLANTA?

I took my April MCAT in a hotel in Buckhead, the same day as FREAKNIK -- we had people jammin' in their seats during the Bio section. ;)

12. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Make sure you let AAMC know about this. They might give you guys a "break" on your scores. This would be similar to someone making noise during the test, etc. It throws you off, and they know that. Good luck tomorrow though.

13. lamyers

lamyers Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

owcc,

yeah, that was me. They lost our scores last August. The retake sucked as how was there a fair way to score it since it was a brand new test. Did they curve me against 32 other people? Actually the courier service lost it. Everyone talked of a class action suit, but it didn't pan out.

I hope AAMC considers tomorrow's test valid. I don't mean to jinx anyone, but as previously stated, what if AAMC realizes the test takers could get the topics?

14. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The MCAT is also administered on Sunday, although you have to have a pretty valid reason for doing this before they will schedule you for that day. Every year, a handful of people do this, so I'm sure they will have you testing with these people. Since the AAMC knows that the Sunday group also has access to topics, I'm sure they use a different exam than the one administered on Saturday.

15. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Lamyers, I didn't know you tested with me! I was one of the "lost MCATers" too! Ironically enough, now that I'm down at UF, almost my entire class knows about it and I hadn't told anyone....guess the premed world is a small one!

Let this be a lesson to everyone else though! Things can and will go wrong sometimes, and sometimes you just have to roll with it. ACT didn't tell us our tests were missing until 5 WEEKS after we took it...and then only gave us 2 weeks notice for the retest. Despite the fact that over half the original test-takers decided to not retest (and to take it again in April), and our scores were reported VERY, VERY late, many of us still got accepted this year (the ones that retested anyway). Don't let a set-back (even a seemingly huge one) ruin all your plans. We had to do some scrambling, naturally, to inform the schools / ADCOMs of the situation...but it worked out in the end.

Personally, I wish we HAD sued them...but we were told by advisors and legal consults that a law suit would probably hurt us more than help.

PS- NO, they DIDN'T give us an easier version of the test.... ;)

16. SeeGulz

SeeGulz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I hope UWF changed courier services, because that is where I took it yesterday. BTW, they thought that yesterday would be a good time to repave the parking lot outside the testing room. Very loud!

OWCC, did you perchance take physics at owcc?

17. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't feel bad...they were paving the ROAD outside the testing center last August (beep, beep, beep went the dump truck)...how ironic their paving schedule seems to be. As for the courier, we never found out WHO the courier was (we thought it was a conspiracy), but we "understood" it to be ACT's courier contract..not UWF's (not that it matters). Good luck! Keep your fingers crossed! ;)

18. lamyers

lamyers Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Cobragirl,

Our world gets smaller and smaller. I'd probably know your face! I didn't do too well in Oct so I retook in April and did fine. (I was taking it really early last August.) But, that test was definitely harder! We still don't know how they scaled.

19. allengal

allengal Member
    7+ Year Member

HA HA!! AAMC would never give anyone a break on their scores!! I took the April MCAT at Wake Forest and during all of the testing sections people were getting up and walking out and slamming the door on the way out. The proctors never did anything about it. Following the MCAT, I wrote the program office and told them what happened. They wrote back basically saying that they talked to the proctors and they were not aware that anyone was leaving the room. They also told me that I could send a copy of the letter they wrote me to the schools I am applying to and they were sorry if my scores were affected. AAMC is just a "for profit" organization who could really care less about helping out those applying to medical school!!!!

20. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ld106588,

So what happened? Did you take the MCAT on Sunday? Or was it scheduled for a different time?