oh my god I made a F!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by lmthoms1, May 11, 2001.

1. lmthoms1

lmthoms1 Member

Oh my God I made an F in my Theatre class. I calld the stripes hotline to drop the class because it came too close to my work schedule and had me rushing everday. But to my surprise it didn't process and my professor doesn't believe my story and sented me an email stating I will just have to retake in summer school. I even called the admission office to see if other people experienced the same problem and luckily they have been hearing the same story. The problem is my teacher doesn't believe me. Oh my God this cant be happening. My friend suggested a hardship withdrawal but wont that show on my transcript and worst of all if I take the class over even If made an A wouldn't that go as a strike against me with a F the first time around. And worst of all it dropped my GPA :( :( :( :( Suggestions please suggestions.... has this happened to anyone before??????

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Asteras1

Asteras1 Senior Member

Go over his or her head. There should be a department head or Dean that you can talk to and explain the situation. There should also be some type of appeals process that your school has to settle disputed grades. My school allows you to speak with the Department Chair and then with a Dean.

In any case, go see your advisor. They are supposed to be your advocates in situations like the one your are in.

4. ana

ana

Absolutely. I have an "F" on my transcript too. I was up all night cramming for the class, I arrived an hour early, and fell asleep in my car. By the time I woke up and got to the exam room, I would have been 90 minutes late for a 3 hr exam, except it turned out the professor only allowed a 90 minutes exam time. Since I did not take the final, I got an automatic F.

Relax. Petition to have the class stricken -- just explain to the student affairs office what happened to you. One of the things I learned AFTER I graduated from undergrad is that you can petition almost anything as long as you can justify it, you have an otherwise clean record, and you are a nice (not hysterical) person. For instance, I found out that since the university allowed 3 hours for final exams, then I should have been allowed to come late and still take the exam as long as the 3 hours had not elapsed. I would have simply explained to the administrators that I worked 20 hours a week (with minimal financial aid help), communted 30 miles a day each direction WITH traffic, and was still carrying a full load... so sorry that I overslept... but under the best of circumstances I am working my ass off anyway... etc... that's why I fell asleep... and I did come within the allowed 3 hr time limit... etc.

Since I was too naive to do anything about it through official channels (and since I was too intimidated by the professor and TA who were both contemptuous of me), I took the F and repeated the class.

Even if you cannot get the grade stricken, a Theatre Class F does not affect your science GPA (which is computed separately).

By the way, I got a C on the retake. AND I graduated from med school this year. So cheer up! ;)

5. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

I made an F in Freshman Chemistry. I think I even had a D somewhere too. But years later I retook the course and made an A. Now I'm getting ready to start my fourth year of med school. You WILL be okay. :)

Good luck,

Billie

6. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    If you don't get help with your advisor or registrar, check to see if your school has an ombudsman. Also, there is space to explain grades on amcas, should it come to that.

7. Mikado

Mikado Senior Member

Cry bloody murder in every dean's office in school untill they retract that F. Don't take no for an answer. Good luck.

8. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Go with what Mikado said.... Try and get that F off your record.... Goodness gracious, that can total mess things up. :(

9. ginbartender

ginbartender Junior Member

I took a hardship withdrawal for similar reasons. The W on my transscript wasn't even brought up in my interview. When I did say something about it the interviewers thought nothing of it, just don't let it happen again.

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Theatre class?

Send a copy of that post to your professor. Seemed like a good performance to me.

First of all, I think you need to relax. If you come across that upset in your typing, I can't imagine what you are like in person.

If there has been more than one documented case of the same thing happening, then it was not your fault...the glitch was somewhere else.

It will all work out...it always does.

Peace

11. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

Let us know how it turns out.