OH MY GOD!! PLS help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimson

What up Smokey!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so after more than eight weeks of self-studying (I am a non-trad student) I took the first top score cd tests today and COULD NOT clear even 12-14 in ANY of the sections (except math and reading comp). I AM SO DEJECTED. :(I must be either a ***** at problem solving or the topscore cd is just too tough to bother. I am scheduled for DAT this FRIDAY and as you can guess truly and completely freaked out. Should I take another 1-2 weeks and try to reschedule and keep on practicing the questions I have from topscore and kaplan? All the schools I applied to this year have my AADSAS application, my recos and everything else except the test scores. THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE WALKED THE PATH PLS HELP!! I will really appreciate it. Thank you....

Members don't see this ad.

I did the Kaplan course last year, the week before I took the DAT I score 18 on my Practice DAT, however, I end up with 20-21 on the real exam.

I don't think any one can tell you when you should take the DAT, you can't never be ready enough.
From my personal experience everyone did better on the actual test than the practice because the practice is always harder. However, 12-14 is kind of low, why don't you take more practice exam and see how you did.

Hope this help.

Originally posted by crimson
Ok, so after more than eight weeks of self-studying (I am a non-trad student) I took the first top score cd tests today and COULD NOT clear even 12-14 in ANY of the sections (except math and reading comp).

What scores did you get in the other practice exams you took, if any? How did you study for the DAT all along?

The following was my experience:

The Topscore CD was harder than most of the actual DAT exam. However, the actual PAT was harder and the actual bio section had more specific questions on cellular respiration, genetics, and endocrinology ( it could be different for you though ).

I only had two weeks to study for the exam. I kind of slacked off and left the studying aside for the first week but my studying got intensely serious for the second week.

For the sample DAT that came with the test registration sheets, I got around a 16 DAT/ 19 PAT. For Kaplan, 14/17 and around 16/18s for the Barrons. For Wilkins, I was scoring around 15/18s. For TopScore, I actually did better 16/19s.

On the actual DAT, I scored a 20/18. I scored alright in everything but bio, where I got a 16.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you score 12-14 on the topscore, that's no big problem. But it indicates that you are missing a lot o basic stuff.
Bad thing is that you schedule for the test this Fri. My best bet is that you can study hard until then and still won't guarantee to make it pass the 20 mark.

If I have time, I would reschedule the test and restudy my basic sciences.
For o-chem. I suggest that you study all the brandname reactions. I mean, whatever that has a name to it.
For g-chem. Use the princeton g-chem book to practice their problems.
For biology. Practice back and forth all the tests you have. Whatever you miss, go back to the Kaplan book and study. Fill in the blank with the Campbell book.

That's how I studied for my test and did really well.

I know someone who got a 9 on her topscore gchem and finally got 19 on her real DAT after 2 months of studying.

Just study your best. Once you got the test score, call the school up and give them your score.
Best of luck
T

dont freak out about the low topscore scores......first of all, the chem section is a lot harder than the actual DAT b/c topsocre expects you to know every little equation, whereas in the actual dat, you dont need to know that many, and most of them can be done by setting up simple proportion problems.....i got very low socres on topsocre and did MUCH better on the actual DAT, but it is a good study disk, b/c you can see what problems you got wrong, and look up the answers/leanr how to do them.

dont take it until you're prepared....i wouldnt take it if i was getting 12's on the practice dat....go over topscore/kaplan questions over and over, go through that practice test and make sure you know why you got all those ?'s wrong, (the right answer and why the others are wrong answers etc)

good luck