Oh My God!!! What Should I Do??!?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imju1016

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I took DAT on August
and I did pretty bad on it...:(
I want to know what you guys are thinking.

UC berkeley GPA:3. 46 cummative
Science: 3.17

DAT:

PAT: 17
Math: 15
Reading: 15
Bio:15
Gchem: 16
Ochem: 14

Members don't see this ad.

hello to a fellow berkeley student.....what yr are you or are you an alumni?

anyway onto the criticism:

1-According to what i have seen/read on this site you should definitely retake the DAT.

2-Your GPA is also on the lower side. (But you can offset this with a higher DAT score)

3-You should aim for a minimum of a 19+ AA.

If you need any more advise or anything just PM me.

Sorry to say, but your chances don't look too good for this cycle. You've applied relatively late and the soonest you'd be able to retake the DAT would be November. Make sure to let every school you're applying to that you will be submitting new scores. Even then, some may just reject you before waiting for the new scores. How did you end up with such a low score? Did you not prepare enough? Perhaps you should rethink your DAT preparation methods. I had a much lower GPA from Berkeley and got a 23 on the DAT, so I know the coursework was not easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should apply to the 2009 cycle and spend some free time studying for the DAT to keep the material you learned already fresh in your head. Then come winter break you can put in some good study time and take the DAT and use those scores for 2009 cycle.

I don't know... I guess I was not very prepared...
I was going through some stuffs but I thought I just gotta keep living u know..
I've applied to 17 schools so far..
I will be amazingly happy if i got in any of them.
I guess I have to wait and see.
Thank you guys for your replies..

Don't get depressed too much. I'd call up the schools and see what they think. But if they say clear no, switch your gear toward the next year's cycle.

its just so sad... I know if i dont expect anything and don't have my hopes up, then I Don't get disappointed, but I'm anxious to find that little bitty light of string, u know?
applying to next year will lead me with one year break..whewwww.

this is very sad. BUT you guys are giving me that boost-up I need..

Honestly, if I were in your position I'd start studying like a mad man/woman and plan on retaking it as soon as you possibly can (still 90 days I pressume?). That'd put you on a projected retake date of around Nov. 30th, I think you'd still be in the game for this application cycle if you scores skyrocket.

Write a letter to all the schools stating your intention to retake the DAT, succinctly tell them about your previous circumstance, and ask that they not make a final decision concerning your application until they receive your new scores.

If this is what you want to do and you really want to get in by next year you really need to suck it up and get **** done. Dental school is like cramming for the DAT, only it's year-long. You need to show that kind of commitment to the review panel, that you can push yourself to learn and memorize when it counts and that you can handle a very difficult course load.

Hope that helps, I really think you need to retake them to have any sort of decent shot. Better to channel your depression and anxiousness over not getting in towards really pushing yourself to rock the DAT.

yeah man, these are definitely not competitive scores. Were your practice tests similar to these scores? If so , I would continue to study and take practice tests until you reach at least a 17 in each subject on practice tests alone.

Looks like your DAT scores are your major hope! If you already spent all that much money on this application cycle (17 schools??!!:scared:), I'd study til I passed out for the DAT. I"m not sure about other schools, but our dental school downloads DAT scores from whomever has the scores (ADEA?). I took my DAT in the morning and that same day my school got the scores and sent me an interview invite. PLus, people still interview until spring. Go for it!!

hey i sent you pm but if you wanna study together for 2009 cycle, count me in... If any of you guys also go to UCB and study together, let me know!!

hey i sent you pm but if you wanna study together for 2009 cycle, count me in... If any of you guys also go to UCB and study together, let me know!!

Dude, what's up with all the Berkeley people?!? There are like millions of you on this forum... then again, I am one of you.

:p

Check with your school of interest, most have minimum section scores at 15 or 16. Not achieving the minimum on each section could end up in an early denial. I would retake asap.

Mine RC is 14, and the dean in UTDB suggested to retake it even my AA is 19.
All my other section scores are higher than 19.
See...how bad it is.
I still need to retake it although I had two interviews already.

hey guys,

I took DAT on August
and I did pretty bad on it...:(
I want to know what you guys are thinking.

UC berkeley GPA:3. 46 cummative
Science: 3.17

DAT:

PAT: 17
Math: 15
Reading: 15
Bio:15
Gchem: 16
Ochem: 14