Oh no! Consistency!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanparsel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been studying on and off for the MCAT for a while now, just the occasional EK prep lectures and some AAMC online CBTS (not really hardcore with a routine until about a month ago) and I seem to be consistently getting 9's and 10's! I mean, like every exam section, whether it is a 30 minute lecture exam with EK or on the sections on the AAMC exams and it is starting to drive me crazy. I get the occasional 11 or 12 on things (and the occasional 8 or 7 :( ugh) but for the most part its 9-10!! Am I destined for a 27-30 on the MCAT?!

Anyway, to a more specific question. I have taken the EK 101 VR exams and have scored surprisingly 9's on most if not all of them. Is this a good score to be receiving on these tests (I have heard EK VR is pretty close to what the real MCAT is like)?

Also, 1 (or 2) more question. I have been doing the EK home study (currently on my 4th week of the 10 week plan) and supplementing with Kaplan sectional and topical exams (from 2003). Any suggestions on what else I can put into my study...I am looking for some good VR other than EK but I can't seem to find anything. Can I improve by my test date (May 27)?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I have been studying on and off for the MCAT for a while now, just the occasional EK prep lectures and some AAMC online CBTS (not really hardcore with a routine until about a month ago) and I seem to be consistently getting 9's and 10's! I mean, like every exam section, whether it is a 30 minute lecture exam with EK or on the sections on the AAMC exams and it is starting to drive me crazy. I get the occasional 11 or 12 on things (and the occasional 8 or 7 :( ugh) but for the most part its 9-10!! Am I destined for a 27-30 on the MCAT?!

Anyway, to a more specific question. I have taken the EK 101 VR exams and have scored surprisingly 9's on most if not all of them. Is this a good score to be receiving on these tests (I have heard EK VR is pretty close to what the real MCAT is like)?

Also, 1 (or 2) more question. I have been doing the EK home study (currently on my 4th week of the 10 week plan) and supplementing with Kaplan sectional and topical exams (from 2003). Any suggestions on what else I can put into my study...I am looking for some good VR other than EK but I can't seem to find anything. Can I improve by my test date (May 27)?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

TBR (The Berkeley Review) offers great VR resources, and from what I hear, it resembles the MCAT most. EK's questions resemble the MCAT, but not their passages.

As far as consistency, try something new. A new approach to your test taking, a new approach to eliminating careless mistakes, SOMETHING new...that'll help you see fluctuation when you practice a new strategy, hopefully in the positive direction. You just got to keep at it. Unfortunately, VR is something you have to do a little bit of every day, or else it takes longer to make it better. And taking time off from it? Doesn't work in your favor. Check out SN2ed's advice on the stickies.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

TBR (The Berkeley Review) offers great VR resources, and from what I hear, it resembles the MCAT most. EK's questions resemble the MCAT, but not their passages.

As far as consistency, try something new. A new approach to your test taking, a new approach to eliminating careless mistakes, SOMETHING new...that'll help you see fluctuation when you practice a new strategy, hopefully in the positive direction. You just got to keep at it. Unfortunately, VR is something you have to do a little bit of every day, or else it takes longer to make it better. And taking time off from it? Doesn't work in your favor. Check out SN2ed's advice on the stickies.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BR is not the best for verbal....EK and AAMCs are...then TPR.

Y'know, I think that Kaplan's passages should have EK's questions. I used EK, but the passages were easy to read compared to TPR and Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)

By the TPR are you talking about the TPR verbal workbook. I got the hyperlearning verbal and writing and I thought it was terrible and had no passages :(

Y'know, I think that Kaplan's passages should have EK's questions. I used EK, but the passages were easy to read compared to TPR and Kaplan.

I found the AAMCs and EK the best....just a little shorter than the real deal and the real deal always seems to have 1 -2 passages that are out there.

But, I am best at verbal and that does not get to me....

I think the biggest thing was I had less time and the pressure of teh day made focus more....