Oh No! CP pass rate plummets in 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting numbers. You better pass the test the first time, b/c the retakers do horribly.

This directly contradicts the "we are very strong in CP" comments that nearly every program I interviewed at claims. Hmmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
This directly contradicts the "we are very strong in CP" comments that nearly every program I interviewed at claims. Hmmm...

Not so sure about that, since first time pass rate is still 70+ %. But I always laughed at that comment too, since usually it was more like, "Most programs say they are strong in CP, but we really are!"

The problem with CP is that there is just so much information to learn and so many vaguaries that you can't possibly learn it all. I am relatively comforted by the 72% first time takers pass rate, but it is still anxiety-inducing.

But yeah, the "repeat takers" category is pretty dismal, but not totally surprising either.

I am on the fence about whether I think the pass rate is too high or too low. For selfish reasons, I don't want the test to be too hard. But I also don't think it should be easy to pass. What I really want is to know who failed and why they failed (did they not study enough, do they always do poorly on tests, is there a language barrier, are they just not intelligent, were they overconfident, etc etc).

we all talk a lot about needing to be AP/CP trained to cover call in hospital/private practice settings. does this mean people need to pass the CP boards, or is being board-eligible enough? because if 1 out of 4 people are going through residency and then NOT being CP boarded, i wonder what happens to those people when tehy seek employment.

Good question MLW... I'm also bummed that you can't sit for the MGP board anymore without doing a formal fellowship. Lately I've been wondering about doing a fellowship vs. going straight into a transition research position/postdoc.

Here's another question - can we nominate LADoc to one of the open ABP Trustee spots? :)

BH

what the MGP board?

Molecular Genetic Pathology... not to be confused with Molecular Diagnostics, although I think there is some substantial overlap. There are a variety of ways to sort of approach board certification in "molecular pathology", the AMP has a nice summary here: http://www.amp.org/T&E/certification.htm

MGP is certified by the ABP & American Board of Molecular Genetics... Molecular Diagnostics appears to be certified by the American Board of Clinical Chem...

CP ABP is far and away the hardest exam I have taken in my life. I would liken it to taking the combined SAT, MCAT, Steps1-3 of the boards and my PChem final while having a rabid gerbil breakdance in my sigmoid colon to the tune of Thriller.

CP ABP is far and away the hardest exam I have taken in my life. I would liken it to taking the combined SAT, MCAT, Steps1-3 of the boards and my PChem final while having a rabid gerbil breakdance in my sigmoid colon to the tune of Thriller.

Yikes. I still want to know if you'll accept the nomination to the ABP...

I think the beer judge certification progrma exam was harder for me than Steps 1 or 2...

BH

Yikes. I still want to know if you'll accept the nomination to the ABP...

I think the beer judge certification progrma exam was harder for me than Steps 1 or 2...

BH

Actually the only the exam I would say is harder than CP is the Master of Wine certification...that is insane.

dude you're too funny