Oh No Oh No Oh No!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to memorize all the stupid wavenumbers for every kind of bond that appears in an IR. oh no, oh no, oh no!!! :confused:

what do i do what do i do what do i do??? i've made flash cards, but i dont think they're helping. and how do u differentiate between 3300 and 3500 or 3100??? teh lines are so damn close together, i can never see whats what.

Members don't see this ad.

<NELSON> HA-HA </NELSON>

Sorry bud, I feel for you actually :-(. We all had to go through that and poke our eyes out in horror and pain. The best I can say is that most teachers will just make sure you know what numbers what and will try to make it clear for you on the exam. It's been some time, so I don't remember how I studied for it, sorry.

All I remember is the lab.. finding our unknowns (HORROR!!). Good God, for some reason mine made the IR machine crazy. Everyone else cheated and compared their samples to the graphs in the library.. but not even the TA could make my sample work right. So I sat there and came in when no one else was there, and ran through every test I could. In the end, I was way off but the TA only docked one or two points off.

im posting these from memory, so i might be wrong, might want to double check them. i just memorized these rules and that was enough:

3300 broad band = alcohol for sheezy
3300 sharp band = C-H sp
3200 sharp band = C-H sp2
3000 sharp band = C-H sp3
2750 sharp short band = aldehyde H
1600-1750 sharp band = the infamous carbonyl

benzene was somewhere around 8-900 (double check this one for sure, i think i'm wrong).

anything else you guys wanna add? i'm recalling from memory, can't think of any others. hope this helps though.

Members don't see this ad :)
sadly, this is pretty much rote memorization (unless someone out there has some clever tactics). hopefully you don't have to memorize stuff in the fingerprint region--that would be torture! anyway, just keep doing problems, and it will become easier. also, when you're looking at subtle differences, you can rely upon the concepts underlying ir. for example, conjugation of carbonyls lowers the frequency of the c=o stretch...but c=o's in esters absorb higher than normal (~1745). also, remember that a heavier atom causes a lower-frequency stretch (think about a spring - if you placed a heavier weight on the end, it has to "drag" back slower) and that a stronger bond has a higher frequency (again, think of a stiff spring that vibrates quickly). so if you're comparing a c-o to a c=o, you can definitely say that the c=o is higher energy, stronger, and is going to absorb more to the right of the spectrum (~1700). same w/c-triplebond-c > c=c > c-c.
also, once you get to doing more problems, you'll begin to recognize the characteristic shapes of the stretches--i.e. a sharp double peak for an amine, a broad stretch for the -oh, a sharp intense peak for the carbonyl, that funny squiggly looking pattern for an sp3 alkane stretch, etc.

good luck!

Try taking an entire class of spectroscopy!!!! Oh bad memories, bad memories. Not only did we have to memorize that junk, but we had to memorize all the NMR chemical peaks too! Then there was the coupling constants.......... I don't think there is any other way to learn it.....except brut memory work. The really sad thing is that although I received an A in the class I don't remember ANY of the peaks any longer :oops:

That sounds awful that you have to do all of that. Well, I hope everything comes out okay in the end.

Yay structure elucidation! 'tis my senior thesis... if i ever get around to writing it, that is. :)

ahh fingerprints....

these were hella fun to do.

i thought of these as like puzzles. i never got bored of them. both nmrs, IR etc..

ahh takes me back to the golden years of my life...

thanks for the memories...

It's not bad. It's just a matter of seeing lots of them. Soon, you'll just automatically know them. At first, they seem intimidating, but it's easy. Trust me. I was nervous, but eventually it just clicked. And some are quite obvious like alcohols.

alcohols i know, benzenes i know, the sp3, sp2, and sp C-H bonds i kinda know. i right now have an hour and a half to memorize them (i'm hoping it's cancelled though, cause the prof said nothing about the test in class on tues)