oh no...red flag i didn't address :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holafarita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm new to the boards but not new to applying...this is my second time around. i got two interviews and haven't heard back from either--i applied late and my interviews were late.

i have a big red flag on my app, but it was from like four years ago. i withdrew from undergrad two semesters in a row b/c i basically had a meltdown...

my first year applying, i put that in my essay. the second year (this past cycle) i have SO much other stuff to put in there--good, positive stuff--i didn't address it. and i didn't talk about it during my interviews. no one asked and i didn't bring it up b/c i'm still not sure how it would go over.

when i go up for review by the adcoms, is this going to ruin my chances? should i send an update letter now explaining the situation?? my gpa didn't suffer too much, maybe a fraction of a point, but my UG transcript probably makes me look like a flake, with a few W's and a couple I's, and worst of all no explanation :(

any advice on damage control??

:luck: to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Your app looks pretty good. I am kind of suprised that you haven't been accepted. Just make sure that you have lots of safeties. Don't make too big of a deal about the anorexia thing either. You want to sell yourself, not make them think of reasons why you might not be able to cope with the stress of being a doctor or med school. With a 3.5, I would think that you could apply broadly and get in somewhere and only minimally address the anorexia thing if you choose to at all.

i'm new to the boards but not new to applying...this is my second time around. i got two interviews and haven't heard back from either--i applied late and my interviews were late.

i have a big red flag on my app, but it was from like four years ago. i withdrew from undergrad two semesters in a row b/c i basically had a meltdown. i was anorexic.

my first year applying, i put that in my essay. the second year (this past cycle) i have SO much other stuff to put in there--good, positive stuff--i didn't address it. and i didn't talk about it during my interviews. no one asked and i didn't bring it up b/c i'm still not sure how it would go over.

when i go up for review by the adcoms, is this going to ruin my chances? should i send an update letter now explaining the situation?? my gpa didn't suffer too much, maybe a fraction of a point, but my UG transcript probably makes me look like a flake, with a few W's and a couple I's, and worst of all no explanation :(

any advice on damage control??

:luck: to everyone!

Well first of all, if you're reapplying to a lot of the same schools this time around, they'll have last year's app on file if they really want to look into it. Plus, it's definitely good to focus on the positive, and adcomms who do see the struggles in your old PS will be impressed that things are going much better for you (i.e. that you're not dwelling on the negative stuff in the past). As for adcomms without access to the old PS, maybe you could put in a line or two in your current PS about having a rough semester, but eventually getting your bearings (no need to get terribly specific unless you really want to. Undergrads have crappy semesters. It's what we do.). This would explain the W's, etc, without looking like you're making excuses or that somehow you're consumed by your past. Otherwise, I really don't think it'll be a big deal. You should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much twohearted and PepperMD for the helpful responses:love: !! i think i'll mention it briefly in my current PS like you suggested, just to be on the safe side.

I don't think you need to harp on it too much. Remember the last thing you want is for someone who is trying to decide if you can handle the stress of medical school to have doubts after reading your PS. Emphasize that you're who you are in spite of the difficulties you've faced, not because of them.

What I'm saying is adcoms are drawn to strong personalities so be sure to stress that, don't fall into the "Because of X I did Y and want to practice medicine" formula that many PS writers adopt.