Oh NO....what if some of my secondary essays were not super well-written?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one,

I have submitted 12 secondaries so far, and no news from anyone. I retook the MCAT in August, because in April I got a 28Q (11,6: bad,11); but in August, I raised it to 33Q (14,8,11). I am not planning on retaking this beast, so let's hope I get in somewhere because my GPA is 4.00 and as long as I know my EC's are OK and I am a nonnative speaker (which I dont think matters that much as an excuse for an average VR score).

Anyway, most of my applications were done by the end of September, early Oct. My LOR's however, did not get to the schools until October 16 or so, because it just takes my school forever to compile them and there was nothing I could do about that. So when should I really begin getting worried? My problem is that I don't think I did a spectacular job with some of those secondary essays especially because I did not spend as much time on them as I did with AMCAS and its essay. I think the content that I talked about in each essay was good; Nevertheless, I did not spend lots of time making sure I vary my sentence structure or whether each comma was in the right place, etc. I thought there came a point when I just had to click submit, because, let's face it, I had to send 12 secondaries after the Aug. MCAT and I also have VERY time-consuming classes this semester.

Even though I had some people read them (some of them I had to submit without doing so because none of my friends, etc. had time :scared:) , I am not that elegant with using the English language when it comes to composing quality essays (my personal statement was different because about 10 people read it). I did well on MCAT essays both times because I knew how to follow those instructions and they didn't deduct points for minor mistakes. My research mentor says that I write well (considering that I have only written in English for 5 year or so), but in a first glance he or any one else could tell that I am not advanced and sometimes make grammatical mistakes. So any way, how do schools view essays that are not super well-written but still are fluent and without (hopefully) significant grammatical mistakes? Thanks for the feed back. I am soooo tired of this whole waiting game, I hope I hear something soon. Good luck to every one and congrats to people who are already accepted. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to be William Faulkner to get into medical school. As long as the content was good as you say, I wouldn't worry about it.

The reason schools are taking a while to get back to you is because they are reviewing thousands of applications and it will take them a while to get to your app. I've been complete since mid-Sept and have only heard back from one school (coincidentally the school that is likely to receive the fewest apps of those that I applied to).