Oh no, which undergrad should I choose. Bunch of choices

vhstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, well, I got into WAY more colleges than I was expecting (expected only 2-3 out of my list). I'm assuming it's because of my ACT: 33, because my GPA was only a 3.58 UW.

So, here are the schools I got into:

Boston University
Northeastern
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Iowa
Indiana University
NYU
Pitt

Financial Aid was offered from a few of these schools, but I'm very fortunate to have family that offered to pay for a good amount of my tuition, so money is not an issue. I live in Illinois, and don't care about distance.

Also, I got into Boston University for their Human Physiology program, which looked awesome, which is why I applied there.

Please help me decide on which school to attend. And, if possible, could you rank these schools on best pre-med. Personal experience, as well as official experience (national rankings, etc.), that would be great.

Thanks,

vhstudent. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I got into Pitt as well and I'm going because I got a scholarship (full out-of-state tuition) and when I visited the campus I realized that there were soooooo many opportunities to work with doctors and do research with UPMC (one of the top hospitals in the nation) and UPitt COM just a five-minute walk away--these opportunities are extremely accessible and that's what the admissions director stressed to me. So not only is this option affordable, but it is also very conducive to getting to the next level. Distance wasn't a big deal for me either seeing as I'm coming from Tampa, FL.

But, anywhere you go on that list will prepare you well for medical school as long as you are driven and committed. And if money isn't an issue at all, then go to the school you like the very best on that list. I certainly wish money wasn't an issue for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is BU as good as I've heard it is? Most people I've talked to, including students who I know that go there currently say it's great. But my uncle told me it was terrible and he actually transferred after his sophomore year.

What is ACT: 33?
According to this list, University of Wisconsin-Madison wouldn't be a bad choice either. From what I've heard, you should pick the university in which you can get the highest grades - so pick one in which you'll have fun and do good in.

I found from the AAMC web site that in 2009 University of Wisconsin-Madison sent 400 applicants to med school while Boston University sent 273.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table2-race.htm

It will be interesting to know:

1. How many graduated from each of the university to give a better representation of the % of students from each of the institution applying to med school.
2. How many (& % of applicants) from each university were accepted to med school, as opposed to simply how many applied.

Perhaps others on this forum would know where that information is available readily.

Twinbird24, in the midwest, the ACT is the equivalent as the SAT. Both are taken here, but more people take the ACT instead of the SAT. The 33 is equivalent to a 740 in Math & 740 in reading, I dont know about the other test for SAT.

UW-Madison seems great. I've visited there many times and love it. But something is telling me BU, no matter how hard I try and tell myself to look at other schools.

I found from the AAMC web site that in 2009 University of Wisconsin-Madison sent 400 applicants to med school while Boston University sent 273.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table2-race.htm

It will be interesting to know:

1. How many graduated from each of the university to give a better representation of the % of students from each of the institution applying to med school.
2. How many (& % of applicants) from each university were accepted to med school, as opposed to simply how many applied.

Perhaps others on this forum would know where that information is available readily.

so basically the information you just posted was useless....

X number of pre-meds applied from this larger public school
Y number of pre-meds applied from this smaller private school

...and thats it..... :shrug:

Twinbird24, in the midwest, the ACT is the equivalent as the SAT. Both are taken here, but more people take the ACT instead of the SAT. The 33 is equivalent to a 740 in Math & 740 in reading, I dont know about the other test for SAT.

UW-Madison seems great. I've visited there many times and love it. But something is telling me BU, no matter how hard I try and tell myself to look at other schools.

Okay thanks, I live in Canada ON, so I don't have to write any admission test for college/ university.

Historically BU has a stigma attached to it. Folks my age (mid-20s) and older remember BU as the rich spoiled kids school (kind of like the University of Spoiled Children (University of SoCal) of the east). The reputation more recently has gotten to be much better.

That said, BU has nowhere near the reputation of NYU, not to mention the location and wealth of resources that come with being in NY.

I would rule out Northeastern. It's up and coming, but it's not worth the tuition and extra year (assuming that is still true). Personally, I'd go to NYU. I'd strongly consider UW-Madison and BU as well.

Is BU as good as I've heard it is? Most people I've talked to, including students who I know that go there currently say it's great. But my uncle told me it was terrible and he actually transferred after his sophomore year.

Without a doubt Wisconsin Madison.

That's the best univ on the list you've gotten into, by prestige and academics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't BU have a reputation of being really tough on grading? There was an article about it couple years ago, but so it may have certainly changed (and I don't recall what classes the article talked about). But, just worth mentioning.

Anyway, as someone who spent a summer for college admissions and standardized test, my advice to you is to pick a school that you are sure to be happy with. Grades are very important - but at the same time, you don't want to end up in place that you won't be happy (from whatever the reasons may be). For some, it's too far distance from home. For others, it's lack of social life, etc. At the same time, however, remember that there are multiple places that you will go and be happy, and do well to get into medical schools. So, don't think that your choice now determines whether you will become a doctor or not - that's absurd. It depends on you.

BU definitely does NOT have a reputation for tough grading. Most kids from my hs went to BU and they all had pretty high GPAs (even if their hs GPA was not great). There is another school in Boston though (MIT) that is known for their tough grading. Well... technically it's in Cambridge.

I agree that UW-Madison is the best school on your list (with NYU a close second). Though, overall, I agree with the advice of going where you think you will be happiest (these are fairly different schools so it's hard to know exactly what your aiming for aside from going to a large urban school (which most of these are)).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't BU have a reputation of being really tough on grading? There was an article about it couple years ago, but so it may have certainly changed (and I don't recall what classes the article talked about). But, just worth mentioning.

Ok, well, I got into WAY more colleges than I was expecting (expected only 2-3 out of my list). I'm assuming it's because of my ACT: 33, because my GPA was only a 3.58 UW.

So, here are the schools I got into:

Boston University
Northeastern
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Iowa
Indiana University
NYU
Pitt

Financial Aid was offered from a few of these schools, but I'm very fortunate to have family that offered to pay for a good amount of my tuition, so money is not an issue. I live in Illinois, and don't care about distance.

Also, I got into Boston University for their Human Physiology program, which looked awesome, which is why I applied there.

Please help me decide on which school to attend. And, if possible, could you rank these schools on best pre-med. Personal experience, as well as official experience (national rankings, etc.), that would be great.

Thanks,

vhstudent. :D

UW is a good school and it has a hell of a social aspect as compared to the other schools. I have a lot of buddies that go to the other schools you mentioned and by far the best time I have had is at UW.

So if you want to have a good time in college go to UW. I mean in the long run undergrad isnt going to matter that much