Oh wise and wonderful vet students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epidemivet

Western U c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... would you have done anything differently before going to vet school? Maybe chosen a different school or waited a year to get more experience or pad your savings account? Joined (or not joined) the army? Lately I seem to be coming across a lot of negative info about life as a vet student (maybe that's just the cold, hard reality of it) and am feeling a little overwhelmed by the prospect of signing on for four years. What keeps you going and gets you through the rough patches?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, my friends here at vet school are what's been pulling me through. It's nice to be around people that are all doing the same thing and have the same goals. Going down to clinics is really helpful as far as seeing what is going on in the wider world. My favorite thing that rejuvinated me was going to the exotic animal symposium where I got to learn about things not in the curriculum. I also am excited about SAVMA symposium for the same reason!

Also I wish I had taken more time off before vet school. Vet school is full force all the time, and I really wish I had taken more of a vacation before hand.

We all complain about it, and Im sorry that its making you doubt vet school... its hard and its rough, but its often a lot of fun, too!

I definitely second the classmates... no one else truly understands what you are going through like you classmates do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, my friends here at vet school are what's been pulling me through. It's nice to be around people that are all doing the same thing and have the same goals. Going down to clinics is really helpful as far as seeing what is going on in the wider world. My favorite thing that rejuvinated me was going to the exotic animal symposium where I got to learn about things not in the curriculum. I also am excited about SAVMA symposium for the same reason!

Also I wish I had taken more time off before vet school. Vet school is full force all the time, and I really wish I had taken more of a vacation before hand.

I second this. Having your friends around you who are going through the same struggles is supportive.

I, too, wish I had taken some time off. I think I only left myself a couple days to pack and prepare to leave. Once school started, the rollercoaster ride began! :laugh:

Look, for all the stress I've been feeling lately, and pressure, with multiple exams and quizzes and papers -- I still wouldn't trade it in for something else.

There are still many, many days when I am walking into the building, from the parking lot, and I look up and around, and I say to myself, "Holy cow. I'm in vet school!"

Again, the old adage of... if it were easy... everyone would do it!

It is honestly one of the most grueling times I've had in my life, but everyday I come home and know that I am still loving it! Try to see through the whining that we all put out because ultimately we still love it.

Thanks for your replies! I was holding off on replying to this thread until I knew what my status was...I didn't want to put the cart too far ahead of the horse in worrying about things that may/may not affect me. And...I'm in! At the moment I am so excited I can't even think straight. Ultimately I know it will kick my a**, but I'm convinced that it's totally worth it! :D