ohh no!! math is included in the science gpa?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfray

currently at work
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OHHH NOO! I just found out that any math you took during your undergraduates will be counted towards your science gpa?! :eek:

I took all my math during freshmen yr and for Precalculus I got a C+ (was a freshmen that didnt have his head on straight) and a B- for Calculus! Business Stat I got a C+ as well... (not sure if thats included) :scared:

Now I'm worried.. I'm currently going back to my university to take the prerequisites and even if I do great on them, my Science GPA will be brought down by the math grades (my past is haunting me!!) Should I retake them? or just take as many science class as possible and reply on them? :(

Your tip is greatly appreciated!! :thumbup:

-Ray

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My general advice concerning retaking classes is that, as long as you got above a C-, most often you'll actually be lowering your GPA retaking it. Only retake it if you're 110% sure you'll be able to get an A in the class, because even B's will lower your GPA if it's above 3.0, and they count both attempts. It's often much better to just take another class.

And don't worry too much, it won't show up in your BCP. Just take some more science classes and do well - I think it looks much better to do well in Bio classes than math classes.

Good luck!

math is good for me

i got A+ in calc. A- in precalc and an A in stats

but i get C's and B's in science courses FML

Members don't see this ad :)
I know how you feel. I had a 5 credit Algebra class that I got a D in. That absolutely destroyed my sci GPA. I retook the class and got a B-, which also didn't help my GPA much. So like the above poster said, make sure you get an A if you retake it. It's difficult to make up for bad grades but possible.

Since when is math counted in Science GPA?

Ohhhh thank you Sleepyhead.

I have one of my lowest grades in linear algebra.. oh well...

what?!! I didn't know that. AADSAS needs to be more clear about these things. That would've helped me :( Oh well, doesn't matter for me anymore. I guess if you guys wanted to play the i-didn't-know game you can do that, because I definitely did not include math! lol

Its so stupid that math is in the science gpa. If its not considered part of the "total science" on the DAT, then why all of a sudden include it in the "science" gpa? If you cant tell math also brings down my science gpa

I concur. But im a little lucky that math was an alright subject for me :D

So wait let me get something straight,

Science GPA = All science taken + Math
BCP GPA = only include bio chem and physics?

Which one is considered more important? Which one will be looked upon as more favorable?:confused:

Is STAT considered a math?:(

-Thank guys!

So wait
I'm confused-
AADSAS calculated 4 GPAS?

Overall- everything
Science- math, physics, bio, chem
Non science
BCP- bio chem phys

????
So what is most important, your SCIENCE gpa? (which includes math) or ur BCP gpa?

My general advice concerning retaking classes is that, as long as you got above a C-, most often you'll actually be lowering your GPA retaking it. Only retake it if you're 110% sure you'll be able to get an A in the class, because even B's will lower your GPA if it's above 3.0, and they count both attempts. It's often much better to just take another class.

And don't worry too much, it won't show up in your BCP. Just take some more science classes and do well - I think it looks much better to do well in Bio classes than math classes.

Good luck!

Very smart point! :thumbup:

So wait
I'm confused-
AADSAS calculated 4 GPAS?

Overall- everything
Science- math, physics, bio, chem
Non science
BCP- bio chem phys

????
So what is most important, your SCIENCE gpa? (which includes math) or ur BCP gpa?
Actually AADSAD calculates GPA in several differentg ways. Read this and you will have a better understanding (hopefully):

"AADSAS reports a variety of GPA calculations to the dental schools. The grade conversion table and rules used to calculate GPA's can be found in the AADSAS application in the Dental School Designation Instruction section.
AADSAS reports: overall GPA (undergraduate, graduate and combined); and these undergraduate GPA's: biology-chemistry-physics GPA (BCP); science GPA (all science courses including math, natural sciences and BCP; non-science GPA.
AADSAS also calculates GPA's in two different ways: with and without +'s and –‘s. This is done at the request of the dental schools. Some prefer to use the +/- system and other prefer to use grades without +'s and –‘s. "

For those asking, here is a link that will tell you which GPA dental schools value the most. Once opening the link, view page 42 out of 97 total pages. If your are going by the actual pages on the document, it is page 34.

This link also provides a lot of other useful information concerning the value of all parts of your application. Hope this helps

http://www.ada.org/sections/professionalResources/pdfs/survey_ed_vol2.pdf