Ohio border states MD schools: Advice and/or recommendations, and chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LearnMilMedCare

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cBCPM GPA 3.7 and cGPA 3.76.
MCAT scores June 27, 2020 (130/124/127/128/509)
MCAT retake Aug 1, 2020 (128/127/131/129/515)

Kentucky: University of Louisville, University of Kentucky
Indiana: Indian University (IUPUI)
West Virginia: West Virginia, University, Marshall University

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

cBCPM GPA 3.7 and cGPA 3.76.
MCAT scores June 27, 2020 (130/124/127/128/509)
MCAT retake Aug 1, 2020 (128/127/131/129/515)

Kentucky: University of Louisville, University of Kentucky
Indiana: Indian University (IUPUI)
West Virginia: West Virginia, University, Marshall University

Thanks in advance
No to all except U WV, but only if you from rural SE or southern OH

Members don't see this ad :)
No to all except U WV, but only if you from rural SE or southern OH

Which medical schools are OOS/Ohio-resident friendly.
I applied to like: Indiana, Western MI, Oakland, Wayne, UMich, Pitt, UMaryland, UCF, USF, EVMS, VCU, UVA as a NE Ohio native with 3.99/516 for OOS public schools

Last edited:
Which medical schools are OOS/Ohio-resident friendly

Compared to the number of pre-meds for a mid sized state, ohio has probably one of the highest number of medical schools.

Public: Ohio state, cincinnati, wright state, Toledo, Northeast ohio,

Private : case western, cleveland clinic

Compared to the number of pre-meds for a mid sized state, ohio has probably one of the highest number of medical schools. Not sure, it is needed to look out of state.

Public: Ohio state, cincinnati, wright state, Toledo, Northeast ohio,

Private : case western, cleveland clinic

I know about those and I applied to all of them. But I'm applying to ~40 schools cause I submitted AMCAS on August 1st. So I'm trying to offset the "lateness" factor by increasing the school list 1.5x

I wouldn't call taking 80% of your students from in state OOS friendly. Yet, 1 in 5 is worth a shot. I'd throw an app their way
I once created a table of instate vs. OOS for private MD schools, schools in Puerto Rico and another for state MD schools. Now that the AAMC tables are available in EXCEL again it's not that difficult, but I won't do it again. Others can if they like. In any case state MD schools across the U.S. were about 20% non resident as a whole. So, IU's 21% is about average. I would bet that most of the nonresidents at IU are from the Midwest but that's just a hunch.

Reactions: 1 user
isnt Indiana Univ OOS friendly ?

Ohio resident who applied 4 years ago with a 3.6/507. Got OOS interviews from Indiana, WVU, Marshall, Loyola, Vermont, West Michigan, Oakland, Drexel, GW. Apply to all the private schools around. I think you should definitely apply to Indiana. People saying only 20% of their class is OOS, but from what I remember their class is huge (200+). A good number of students will be OOS