1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio COM vs. Chicago COM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by rain55, May 8, 2001.

1. rain55

rain55 New Member

I had recently interviewed at Chicago COM and Ohio University COM and was accepted to both. I really liked both schools and am having difficulty deciding on which to attend. Any information regarding either of the schools is greatly appreciated. Which school would better prepare me to enter into a competitive residency like surgery or ophthalmology.

Some things I've already considered: 1) The board scores and GPA for both of these schools are in the same general range, and I don't want to base my decision solely on the school's board scores for accepted students from last year. 2) OU COM does require you to practice in Ohio for five years after graduation, but I am from Ohio, so I am exempt from that requirement. 3) Geographically, I don't have any preference between Ohio and Chicago, as it's a short flight from either school to my home in Cleveland.

Thanks for your help !!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CCOM has an excellent reputation and they do very well in both the Allopathic and Osteopathic Match. I would go with CCOM.

4. algernon

algernon Member
    10+ Year Member

rain,
    I will be attending CCOM in the fall and I can't wait to get there. I interviewed at six schools and I really liked CCOM the best. Its a great school with a great reputation and an excellent program. It has one of the highest success rates (among DO schools) for the res match. Additionally, although you CAN do rotations just about anywhere, wouldn't you rather be closer to the Chicago area for your clinical years? Personally, I just think its a better place to learn to be a doctor.

algernon

5. ebola95

ebola95 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

do yourself a HUGE favor....DO NOT BASE WHERE YOU ATTEND ON BOARD SCORES!!!!! that is the biggest bunch of bull there is....you get out of school what you put into it and that is it...

decide based on which school is going to fit your needs best...

i decided on chicago over michigan state b/c my family (littel brothers and sisters) are all there and i knew that it would be too much of a distraction for me if i were that close to home...

i know several DO's from both the chicago and the ohio school and they are equally trained, successfull in thier respective practices (ER, IM, and Peds to be exact) and each onesays that thier school is the better one...YOU NEED TO DECIDE WHICH SCHOOL HAS THE MOST TO OFFER YOU...and don;t let anyone tell you differently.

however, if you are interested in learning more about CCOM, i am more then happy to share my expereinces with you.

John Dery

6. B-Flatblues

B-Flatblues Member
    7+ Year Member

I strongly base my decision on location. However, CCOM is suppossed to be in the top 15% of all U.S. medical schools. That includes allopathic and osteopathic. I don't think that you could really go wrong with either choice.
    Russ

7. algernon

algernon Member
    10+ Year Member

B-Flatblues...

Just curious - where did you get that info about CCOM? I have been trying to find info like that for a while now, but it seems difficult to come by. BTW, I'm headed to CCOM in the fall.