Ohio GOP lawmaker fired from ER job over remarks about ‘colored population’ and covid-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kapernik?

I think a large part of Kapernik’s blasting was that it was very clearly a ploy to stay relevant, and when he was threatened with losing his pay check he dropped it and claimed everything was fixed. Oh and let’s not forget the whole backpack charity he cared so much about.

Members don't see this ad.

That’s where you’re wrong. Yes, there are conservatives (or people who claim to be conservative) in government because this constitutes a large subset of the country. But the news, newspapers, Hollywood and academia are overwhelmingly controlled by liberals - I read something recently that said those in news identified something like 40:50:10 liberal:independent:conservative (or somewhere there about with the independents leaning left). Yes, public discourse is essentially owned by the left. See: editor or major US news paper forced out over allowing a sitting US senator who is a military vet discuss the potential utility of the military. I’m fine with you disagreeing with his opinions or even disliking the guy, but should allowing a senator room to speak in an opinion piece without endorsing any of his ideals be reason to lose your job when you are potentially the next editor in chief?

People need to read or reread 1984 and the coddling is the American mind.

The American Right is so censored. When will the evil left ever let the American populace listen to right-wing views again? When will the American Right be released from the gulags for their crimethink?

Screenshot_2020-06-18_15-35-50.png

Screenshot_2020-06-18_15-36-24.png

Please go peddle your persecution complex elsewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
They also confuse free speech with consequence free speech. Not the same thing.
I’m laughing at the notion of acknowledging racism’s long lasting effects in our insitutions amd laws is somehow racist as veers suggested.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The American Right is so censored. When will the evil left ever let the American populace listen to right-wing views again? When will the American Right be released from the gulags for their crimethink?

View attachment 310337

View attachment 310338

Please go peddle your persecution complex elsewhere.

You just proved my point. There are conservatives in the country. There is a single conservative news outlet, therefore people flock to it. The remainder of news networks are liberal.

Reactions: 3 users
If I posted actual statistics on police violence against blacks with actual population data concerning number of police encounters, and rates of violent crime to demonstrate that the systemic racism and police violence narratives are largely false, I'd be decried as a racist.

Reactions: 7 users
They also confuse free speech with consequence free speech. Not the same thing.
I’m laughing at the notion of acknowledging racism’s long lasting effects in our insitutions amd laws is somehow racist as veers suggested.

You are intentionally being deceptive and manipulating his words. He said he finds much of what BLM to say racist. He didn’t say that acknowledging racisms effects is racist. Your conflating two wildly different points, one of which you made up. So laugh away.

I’m done with this. Call me a racist, consider yourself enlightened and superior to me and move you. You don’t want to have a conversation, you want to feel better than people. I think you’ve accomplished that. This is why I’m off social media. I probably should just get off SDN since it seems to be going the same way.

Reactions: 2 users
If I posted actual statistics on police violence against blacks with actual population data concerning number of police encounters, and rates of violent crime to demonstrate that the systemic racism and police violence narratives are largely false, I'd be decried as a racist.

This has happened to me multiple times so I just post pictures of my cats now.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is why I’m off social media. I probably should just get off SDN since it seems to be going the same way.

One of the best socializing decisions I've made is not be on social media. I do not have a twitter, insta-chat, facebook, my space, snapagram, snapchat, and anything else. I am on Nextdoor for my neighborhood and it's full of people arguing.

Everybody is now arguing in this country. Before you could only argue if you were a politician, had a microphone, printed a newspaper article, or were on TV. Now every single person has a platform to discuss their views.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, but we really shouldn't be holding up highly selected immigrant groups as examples. When you can't simply walk across a border and instead need to fly 13 hours on Emirates to get to the US it tends to select out the riff-raff. Different groups have different push-pull factors and different barriers to entry which lead to very different outcomes.
But they are black and successful thats the point. You can self select but if society said black people need to be poor no matter what it would apply to nigerians as well.

But they are black and successful thats the point. You can self select but if society said black people need to be poor no matter what it would apply to nigerians as well.

There were Black millionaires during segregation - doesn't make segregation any less abhorrent because a small handful of people managed to overcome severe adversity and succeed despite the odds.

There were never any laws that stated black people have to be poor.

There are two key events that happened which led to black Americans being disproportionately poor: 1. Reconstruction ending prematurely which ushered in Jim Crow and 2. Blacks being barred from GI Bill benefits, decent employment and FHA loans after WWII (those things crafted the white middle class).

Those things, along with the racial terrorism of the KKK is why black America will always lag behind other groups.

You can't really compare black immigrants to black Americans. The history is completely different.

ETA: This is why we use the term “systemic racism” because there were things systemically put in place to disenfranchise blacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
There were Black millionaires during segregation - doesn't make segregation any less abhorrent because a small handful of people managed to overcome severe adversity and succeed despite the odds.
I agree with you on different push-pull and different internal cultural expectations which influence demographic success.

But if the argument is systemic racism, (the racists don’t care if someone is a black american or nigerian) It’s irrelevant to a racist law, so what racist law/policy could there be that somehow distinguishes between americans and nigerians to allow nigerians to do well?

your example of segregation doesn’t fit there because segregation was clearly objectively racist and it would have applied to nigerians too. the mention of a few outlier successes despite segregation doesn’t explain the relative sucesses entire demographics now

it’s a complicated discussion

My institution recently hosted a grand rounds presentation where the presenter argued that the lockdown may be more harmful than beneficial and may even be unethical...The presenter did not get fired.

Sam Harris is moving farther and farther to the right, and recently made the argument that police violence against black men is not nearly as big of a problem as many claim it to be...His podcast is among the most popular in the country.

Republicans control the White House, The Senate and have appointed a tremendous number of judges in recent years.

Conservative voices are not being silenced, they're being disagreed with.

You know who is silenced? George Floyd, Eric Garner, Breona Taylor, Walter Scott...unfortunately this list goes on.

Reactions: 8 users
I agree with you on different push-pull and different internal cultural expectations which influence demographic success.

But if the argument is systemic racism, (the racists don’t care if someone is a black american or nigerian) It’s irrelevant to a racist law, so what racist law/policy could there be that somehow distinguishes between americans and nigerians to allow nigerians to do well?

your example of segregation doesn’t fit there because segregation was clearly objectively racist and it would have applied to nigerians too. the mention of a few outlier successes despite segregation doesn’t explain the relative sucesses entire demographics now

it’s a complicated discussion

Most black immigrants weren’t even in America during Jim Crow. They came after the 1965 immigration act, which undid old laws that favored white immigrants.

Nigerians are successful for the same reason Asian immigrants are. They are the best and brightest from their home country. And when they have children those values are passed down.

There’s a reason most of the black medical students and premeds these days are first/second generation immigrants. Their parents told them they were going to be a doctor or engineer.

Sam Harris is moving farther and farther to the right, and recently made the argument that police violence against black men is not nearly as big of a problem as many claim it to be...His podcast is among the most popular in the country.

I thought that was a great podcast episode. I thought he was on the mark with most of what he was saying. Do you think he's moving more toward the right or is it that the values he espouses are becoming less popular on the left? I've been a fan of Harris since he was one of the "Four Horseman" along with Hitchens, Dawkins and Dennett and I think he's been fairly consistent.

Both the right and the left have become considerably more dogmatic in recent years to the point where someone attempting to treat subjects objectively and based on careful evaluation of data are being demonized for not taking a side.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought that was a great podcast episode. I thought he was on the mark with most of what he was saying. Do you think he's moving more toward the right or is it that the values he espouses are becoming less popular on the left? I've been a fan of Harris since he was one of the "Four Horseman" along with Hitchens, Dawkins and Dennett and I think he's been fairly consistent.

Yeah, it's debatable whether Harris' views have actually changed since he started podcasting. I probably should not have made that claim, as it's not an integral part of the point I meant to make. Also, you're right that he's a pretty careful thinker (though I find Dan Dennett to be the most interesting of that bunch).

My point is simply that Sam Harris espouses a number of "conservative views" (e.g.: pro gun ownership, critical of Islam, arguing that police departments should get MORE funding, not less, etc) without getting silenced - he still has an incredibly popular podcast.

Both the right and the left have become considerably more dogmatic in recent years to the point where someone attempting to treat subjects objectively and based on careful evaluation of data are being demonized for not taking a side.

I agree with this point and I think that social media and cable news are major contributors to this problem. Far too many people, on both sides of the political spectrum, feel entitled to broadcasting their opinions on issues they know precious little about. "Gee, I don't know much about that so I'm not sure what's the best thing to do" is music to my ears and a song I don't hear nearly often enough.

Last edited:
Most black immigrants weren’t even in America during Jim Crow. They came after the 1965 immigration act, which undid old laws that favored white immigrants.

Nigerians are successful for the same reason Asian immigrants are. They are the best and brightest from their home country. And when they have children those values are passed down.

There’s a reason most of the black medical students and premeds these days are first/second generation immigrants. Their parents told them they were going to be a doctor or engineer.

Not only that - most of their parents were doctors or engineers or other professionals themselves.

As I mentioned previously, immigration strongly selects for certain types of people. If you need to be able to afford a plane ticket to come to the US in the first place, the only people who are going to come are people who have means.

Think about it - a plane ticket to the US from most African countries costs roughly as much as the GDP per capita of many of the places. The bulk of the people immigrating here are bourgeois, not the bootstraps type.

I’m not especially conservative, but when you shout down people who disagree with you by calling them racist, you’re absolutely silencing people.

Alot of this **** is racist.

Florida's republican governor just blamed a COVID outbreak on "hispanic workers" even though the whole state is open and everyone is walking around not giving a f*ck.

Democrats absolutely are not immune to racism and in fact there are many racists on the Left. But in the last 40 years the right has taken the cake when it comes to passing legislation and supporting policy that negatively affects people of colour disproportionately relative to whites.

The funniest part of the whole thing is that, overall, minorities are generally more religious and more socially conservative that White Americans. The biggest reason why we don't support right wing politics is because we think the American right as a whole is intolerably racist.

Last edited:
Not only that - most of their parents were doctors or engineers or other professionals themselves.

As I mentioned previously, immigration strongly selects for certain types of people. If you need to be able to afford a plane ticket to come to the US in the first place, the only people who are going to come are people who have means.

Think about it - a plane ticket to the US from most African countries costs roughly as much as the GDP per capita of many of the places. The bulk of the people immigrating here are bourgeois, not the bootstraps type.

Alot of this **** is racist.

Florida's republican governor just blamed a COVID outbreak on "hispanic workers" even though the whole state is open and everyone is walking around not giving a f*ck.

Democrats absolutely are not immune to racism and in fact there are many racists on the Left. But in the last 40 years the right has taken the cake when it comes to passing legislation and supporting policy that negatively affects people of colour disproportionately relative to whites.

The funniest part of the whole thing is that, overall, minorities are generally more religious and more socially conservative that White Americans. The biggest reason why we don't support right wing politics is because we think the American right as a whole is intolerably racist.
Desantis is an idiot. Migrant Worker populations are small compared to the Rest of the state and even (he was referencing migrant farmers recently having a massive infection rate) They could all have it and it would barely bump numbers compared to the rest of the state

we’re gonna disagree on there being a ton of racist policy out there by “the right” but that’s a rabbit trail so maybe let’s just enjoy agreeing desantis is an idiot who said something idiotic

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t need to say anything that could be interpreted as racist by a reasonable person to be labeled as racist by some of the more extreme folks. In a discussion about police shootings, I was called a racist for mentioning that Native Americans are killed at the highest rate of any race and as a country we largely ignore everything we’ve done to them systemically. The broader context was that police shootings are high in this country. It was racist because I wasn’t appropriately prioritizing black lives apparently.
Thanks. Exactly my point. Obviously I am not a racist or say things that are actually racist. But I’ve been called a racist simply because of my more conservative viewpoints. MANY even intelligent people on the left make all sorts of assumptions about you and legit WRITE YOU OFF if they learn this about you. Hence, why I needed to shut my mouth when my ER director went on his anti Trump ramp last week loudly at work said “Oh! I heard so and so (HIGHLY respected and loved female doc working for the group TWENTY FIVE YEARS) voted for TRUMP? How could ANY WOMAN vote for Trump? I just lost ALL RESPECT FOR HER.” Yeah, took everything in me to not lose my ****. But, I kept my mouth shut. Even though that one really stung, given that I am a woman who voted for Trump, coming from a doc I love and respect.

Thanks. Exactly my point. Obviously I am not a racist or say things that are actually racist. But I’ve been called a racist simply because of my more conservative viewpoints. MANY even intelligent people on the left make all sorts of assumptions about you and legit WRITE YOU OFF if they learn this about you. Hence, why I needed to shut my mouth when my ER director went on his anti Trump ramp last week loudly at work said “Oh! I heard so and so (HIGHLY respected and loved female doc working for the group TWENTY FIVE YEARS) voted for TRUMP? How could ANY WOMAN vote for Trump? I just lost ALL RESPECT FOR HER.” Yeah, took everything in me to not lose my ****. But, I kept my mouth shut. Even though that one really stung, given that I am a woman who voted for Trump, coming from a doc I love and respect.

Yeah it’s ironic. They will literally talk about not generalizing people or judging people for x y or z, and then will literally write a person off entirely as a piece of **** because of who they voted for. I’m not very conservative except for a couple areas. But I could literally talk all day about some more liberal views I hold, and then if I mention one thing that is conservative, I’m just thrown into the racist right winger pile.