• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

PhD/PsyD Ohio Jurisprudence/Licensure Exam

emilyfromcolumbus

Jun 13, 2019
  1. Psychology Student
    Hi everyone, I am studying for the Ohio jurisprudence exam (I take it on July 18th). I have been told to essentially "memorize" the entire manual they provide (39 pages). Has anyone taken the test recently who can speak about the difficulty of the questions? Or, the types of questions they might ask? For instance, will they ask me to list all 20 items under the heading "Requirements for psychological work supervision and psychological training supervision”? I do not think it is feasible to literally memorize 39 pages of information so I am looking for any and all advice regarding this process. Thanks in advance!

About the Ads

PsyDr

Psychologist
    Lifetime Donor
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 18, 2005
    1. Psychologist
      The PsyDr Jurisprudence Study Guide:

1) Take a brief read through on the state's study materials.
      2) When in doubt, the answers are"don't sleep with your patients", "never defraud an insurance company", and "never lie to the board".
      3) Learn record keeping, child disclosure laws, what to do about informed consent when there's shared custody, duty to warn, abuse reporting, CE requirements, scope of practice stuff, and hospital admitting stuff if applicable in your state Should take about 45-60minuntes.
      4) Now, go hit your head against a wall for a while. Drink heavily, preferably using cheap and sugary alcohols. Watch "the big bang theory" followed by "CSI". Do whatever it takes to lower your intelligence level. These tests are written by state employees. Overthinking this crap is where they could get you.
      5) There's like a 95% chance the test is multiple choice. Statistically "B" is the right answer.
      6) Take the test as early as you can, to maximize the hangover's effect on you not being able to overthink things.

Reactions: 4 users

emilyfromcolumbus

Jun 13, 2019
      1. Psychology Student

2) When in doubt, the answers are"don't sleep with your patients", "never defraud an insurance company", and "never lie to the board".
        3) Learn record keeping, child disclosure laws, what to do about informed consent when there's shared custody, duty to warn, abuse reporting, CE requirements, scope of practice stuff, and hospital admitting stuff if applicable in your state Should take about 45-60minuntes.
        4) Now, go hit your head against a wall for a while. Drink heavily, preferably using cheap and sugary alcohols. Watch "the big bang theory" followed by "CSI". Do whatever it takes to lower your intelligence level. These tests are written by state employees. Overthinking this crap is where they could get you.
        5) There's like a 95% chance the test is multiple choice. Statistically "B" is the right answer.
        6) Take the test as early as you can, to maximize the hangover's effect on you not being able to overthink things.

Haha, thanks for the added comedy. Yeah, the Ohio test is oral (open ended) and lasts about 15 minutes on average, but they allot 30. I WISH it was multiple choice! Ours is also administered by the Director (psychologist) of the Licensing Board.

Reactions: 1 user

emilyfromcolumbus

Jun 13, 2019
        1. Psychology Student
          For those who are interested in what I've learned through multiple PMs as well as finally hearing back from the board (everything below has been verified):

The exam is oral which means it is open ended and not multiple choice. You are video recorded the entire time. You are given a sheet of paper to use if needed. You do NOT need to know the laws word-for-word or in excessive details, but you do need to know the key words to prompt your recollection of the lists (e.g., "The supervisee should not have ADMINISTRATIVE or EVALUATIVE AUTHORITY over the supervisor"). You should know some of the "subheadings" in the lengthier sections when they seem particularly relevant (like rules for documentation and examples of multiple relationships). 99% of people who take it pass and the board WANTS you to pass. The board really just wants to know you've been looking through the rules/statues and made good effort at memorizing/recalling.

Reactions: 1 user
          Dec 8, 2014
          1. Psychologist

I did this without previous knowledge of the PsyDr method. Can confirm. 5 stars.

Also, sorry you live in Ohio.

Reactions: 1 users

lizby2006

2+ Year Member
            Jul 11, 2016
            1. Post Doc
              Hi everyone, I am studying for the Ohio jurisprudence exam (I take it on July 18th). I have been told to essentially "memorize" the entire manual they provide (39 pages). Has anyone taken the test recently who can speak about the difficulty of the questions? Or, the types of questions they might ask? For instance, will they ask me to list all 20 items under the heading "Requirements for psychological work supervision and psychological training supervision”? I do not think it is feasible to literally memorize 39 pages of information so I am looking for any and all advice regarding this process. Thanks in advance!
              Im taking it the same day!! and Ive been going nuts trying to memorize all this info : (

Reactions: 1 users
              About the Ads
              This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.