Ohio Resident Chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlameItOnTheOH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ohio Resident, cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.50. MCAT coming up April 10th, AAMC avg 27-30. 2+ years experience working in clinical lab, also a couple of years worth of research in college, some shadowing, good volunteering (some clinical), leadership stuff, and a few other good, funky things that help me stand out :) Want to practice in Ohio so I'm looking to stay in Ohio (we have too many good schools/hospitals not to, imo!). What kind of MCAT do you guys think I would need to pull off to stand a chance at some of the MD schools in state? Definitely applying to OUCOM and couple of OOS DO's too...

Members don't see this ad.

ohio resident, cgpa 3.65, sgpa 3.50. Mcat coming up april 10th, aamc avg 27-30. 2+ years experience working in clinical lab, also a couple of years worth of research in college, some shadowing, good volunteering (some clinical), leadership stuff, and a few other good, funky things that help me stand out :) want to practice in ohio so i'm looking to stay in ohio (we have too many good schools/hospitals not to, imo!). What kind of mcat do you guys think i would need to pull off to stand a chance at some of the md schools in state? Definitely applying to oucom and couple of oos do's too...

31/32+

You might get into Northeastern and maybe Wright with a 28, even, provided your ECs reflect what they're looking for, like experience in a rural area. Considering your GPA is at the mean for those accepted, aiming for a 31+ is wise.

I'm concerned with your implication that you have little clinical experience, when 1.5 years/150 hours is about average for MD and DO applicants. Further, for the shadowing, I'd aim for 60-80 hours, of which one should be a DO and to be sure to include a primary care doc among those you follow. Most choose 2-3 specialties.

The research sounds great, and that you have nonmedical community service and leadership is excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I'm aiming for a 45 (yea yea aren't we all)...I'll do what I can the next couple of weeks and then just hold my breath that my MCAT and EC's are enough (and continue with the shadowing!). I don't want to waste my time and money in the application process, but I also don't want to say "oh there's no way because my MCAT is a point or two beneath their avg"....If I score what I have been I'll probably apply to every school in Ohio except maybe OSU and Case? Whatcha think?

thanks! I'm aiming for a 45 (yea yea aren't we all)...I'll do what I can the next couple of weeks and then just hold my breath that my MCAT and EC's are enough (and continue with the shadowing!). I don't want to waste my time and money in the application process, but I also don't want to say "oh there's no way because my MCAT is a point or two beneath their avg"....If I score what I have been I'll probably apply to every school in Ohio except maybe OSU and Case? Whatcha think?

I would apply to all the Ohio schools....you never know and instate is your best shot...

I also don't want to say "oh there's no way because my MCAT is a point or two beneath their avg"....If I score what I have been I'll probably apply to every school in Ohio except maybe OSU and Case? Whatcha think?
Your strong research might get you more points than you'd think at those fairly strongly research schools. Let's see what score comes back. You can always add those schools back onto the list, but I'd agree, for now they look iffy.