MD Ohio resident, low gpa, any chance??? 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc2be96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a rising junior hopefully planning to apply next summer (2017). I would love to get some feedback on ways to improve my app for this next cycle!

1. Currently at a 3.35 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA. I have a year left of credits that I predict will boost me to a 3.5-3.6 cGPA and 3.4-3.5 sGPA. I had a semi strong freshman year but overloaded on credits and doing way too much the first semester of my sophomore year and sank my GPA, but started rebuilding last semester.
  2. I have not taken the MCAT yet, but my initial Kaplan half length diagnostic put me at a 508 before any studying (but this seems like a fluke score, considering I didn't study at all before taking it)
  3. State of residence is Ohio
  4. ORM, female
  5. Highly rated public university
  6. ~100 hours interning with clinical director of regional hospital, starting to work in a hospice this summer and continue through the year for about 4 hours/week
  7. Have been working in a research lab for the past year and this summer ~400 hours
  8. ~50 hours shadowing--> resident teams, gastroenterology, dermatology
  9. ~50 hours in various community activities, 1 week global service trip doing a independently planned service project
  10. officer of a professional fraternity, minor leadership role in a service org, mentor to pre-med high school student
  11. institutional action - was caught drunk in dorm, had to meet with housing staff and do a reflection paper. this case was resolved and i've been told it probs won't have a huge impact, but i'm incredibly anxious about it and how to explain it on the AMCAS especially considering my low stats.
  12. I come from a family of doctors, so have been exposed to medical field my whole life
tentative schools list -

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
California Northstate University School of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Medicine
University of Arizona COM
Western Michigan
Albany
St. Louis
Wright State
Northeastern Ohio
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo
Oregon Health & Sciences University School of Medicine
Rush University Rush Medical College
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Nevada School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
UC Davis
University of Illinois
Wake Forest
SUNY Upstate
Buffalo
South Carolina Columbia
Thomas Jefferson University (Kimmel)
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University
Frank H.Netter Quinnipiac
Tulane

-- I know this list is super long and i would appreciate any advice on revising it to make my chances better (adding or taking away schools)!

Any help and advice on how I can strengthen my app this year would be appreciated! thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You live in a pretty good state for MD admission but you really should strongly consider waiting until after senior year to apply to give yourself 2 years to boost your GPA and ECs. This is especially true if your MCAT score comes out <511

You live in a pretty good state for MD admission but you really should strongly consider waiting until after senior year to apply to give yourself 2 years to boost your GPA and ECs. This is especially true if your MCAT score comes out <511

What kinds of things would you recommend doing during to boost ECs? I have been trying to add more things, but I feel like i don't have the time to balance more ECs and still try to raise my grades, which i feel like is my main priority.