Ohio Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdocdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is it true that Ohio residents applying to schools have a good chance of being accepted (or are more easily) accepted than other states because there are so many schools for a state with that population?

The majority of Ohio schools accept mostly in-state students anyway, except Ohio State, which has the highest out of state acceptance, correct?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the amount of med schools in ohio creates a misleading image that it would be easy for an ohio resident to get in SOMEWHERE.

first of all, like you said, osu isn't that fanatical about taking all ohio students. second, case western isn't even a state school, therefore there's less emphasis on state residency. third, northeastern univ. med school only accepts like 15 students per year because the bulk of their program consists of BS/MD students accepted out of high school. wright state does put emphasis on OH residents, but they also have relatively small classes (~90). lastly, ohio univ's school is osteopathic (not like that's bad or anything, it just might not be what you're lokking for).

take that for what its worth (and with a grain of pre-med salt!), it just my 0.02 as an ohioan.;)

oops...its "looking," not "lokking,"...damn

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks SuperDevil! That makes a little more sense.

Does anyone know anything about the Medical College of Ohio and the University of Cincinnati?? Do they accept mostly Ohio residents as well?? What is the ranking for the Ohio schools?

Thanks!

yes,

Ohio has a particularly large number of med schools. For the record, both OSU and Case Western restrict admissions to a smaller number of out-of-state residents (in the case of Case Western, only about 40% out of state, somewhat less for OSU). The other "state schools" (Cinci, MCO, NEOUCOM, Wright State) are VERY heavily weighted for instate folks.

The previous poster is right; NEOUCOM only takes 25 new students each year, which represents the attrition from thier 6 year program.

Now. . .I understand (a rumour only) that Case Western would like to admit more out of state applicants because, I guess, it is hard for them to fill thier class with Ohio residents who post the sort of credentials that would like to see. Somebody else said this somewhere on this forum, and I have no idea if it is true.

If one has a look at the number of MCAT takers from Ohio posted on the Examinee data section of AAMC, the number was 1355 last year. The number of medical school spots in Ohio is something like 925. If we assume that something like 75% must come from Ohio (a rough estimate based on disperate in-state obligations) that's about 700 spots avialable for instate applicants. That's a 50% chance. Not bad. But also not stunning.

Anyway, these are just rough musings. But I think one should count himself fortunate to be a resident of the state of Ohio.

Judd

well, since I actually know some stuff about OH (seems like all the threads in this forum are about TX/Cal!), I'll give it another whirl...

MCO, for one, does put a preference on OH residents (how much, I don't know), and I *believe* UC is pretty good about that too.

as far as rankings go, usnews usually has Case W in the top 25, and osu and UC typically crack the top 50...

also, FYI, MCO has an early acceptance program called MEDStart that may be beneficial to OH students. I think apps are due by Dec. 1...

hope that helps a bit!

80% of MCO and UC entrants are Ohio residents.

UC is in the top 50.

Judd

wow, 80%! that's great (well for us ohioans, anyway)!

thanks for the #'s, Judd:)