Ohio State c/o 2016- Attending only.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

falcon2buckeye

OSU CVM c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance email on January 4th. I have turned down an admissions offer from Michigan State and an interview offer from Purdue. If any of you are definitely going to be in the Ohio State c/o 2016 with me in the fall, I'd like to get to know all of you :)

Members don't see this ad.

*raises one eyebrow*
The OSU 2016 class isn't nearly as all-loving and hilarious as the 2015 class is.....I miss that thread from last tear - you guys were hilarious!

I'll be accepting my offer from Ohio State, I am withdrawing my apps from Wisconsin and Tennessee. Super excited to be going to OSU!

And heylodeb us 2016ers are gonna be the awesomest class ever! We might not have been our normal fun loving selves thus far because unlike c/o 2015 who all found out before Christmas, we were tortured with a long wait, but we'll get there :D.

Are you IS or OOS falcon2buckeye? I am IS from Northeast Ohio.

Excited to get to know all my future classmates on here too!

Members don't see this ad :)
And heylodeb us 2016ers are gonna be the awesomest class ever! We might not have been our normal fun loving selves thus far because unlike c/o 2015 who all found out before Christmas, we were tortured with a long wait, but we'll get there :D.

:thumbup: I'm not worried about you, squirrels - you will bring fun wherever you go. :) I was just being snotty on the whole "acceptees only" part of the thread title. I felt left out of the exclusive club. ;)

Awww, I vote you're welcome anytime! Obviously you came on in anyways, so you must feel the same :laugh:.

And it's not just accepted only, it's attending only LOL. I think thread maker just meant they want to know who's for sure going to OSU to get to know future classmates better. Others can visit too :thumbup:

Yes, thank you!! I didn't mean to exclude anyone!! I just wanted to start getting to know the people who are for sure going to be in my class in the fall :) but you're more than welcome to talk with us, too! And to answer your question, I'm IS from SW Ohio.

No problem, we were just joking around :p.

When do you plan to start looking for housing? I went to college close to home and haven't even stayed in a dorm before, so I have no clue when to set that up? Also, I am a wildlife rehabber and know I'll be swamped with babies by the middle of April, so I really think I need to get started right away, but not sure how early you can say you want to rent an apartment starting in August or the end of July :confused:. So much to do!

Have you gotten your official acceptance in the mail? Do you know if that is what has the form to send back with the deposit saying that you want to go to OSU or is it on the website? I'm trying to get all my stuff filled out and ready to mail on Monday :thumbup:. I haven't gotten the official acceptance in the mail yet though and am not sure if that is what I need before I send anything back.

I was just on the OSU website and see there is an annual housing fair coming up on Thursday and Friday, are you going to that? Not sure if it's just undergrad or for anyone looking for a place off campus?

Hi ...I just received email notification of my acceptance this past wednesday and will definitely be accepting my seat offer for the fall. Congratulations to both of you. I was just informed about this website from a friend and so far have found it very interesting. I wonder when we will be receiving our mailed letter and packet. Do you guys plan on staying in a dorm or apartment while attending school?

Congrats Dax, and welcome :D. I am planning to stay in an apartment, I was told at our dinner the night before interviews that no one stays in the dorms. Plus, I want to bring my boston terrier and dogs are not allowed in the dorms. I'm looking into a studio apartment or one bedroom because I like having my own space and don't plan to room with anyone. I need it to be QUIET when I study. I'm looking into places just southwest of campus, but I have no clue if that's a quiet zone or a crazy party zone. Pictures of the empty rooms don't really give you an idea of how it's like on a crazy Friday night, if you know what I mean!

Are you IS or OOS?

Congrats Dax, and welcome :D. I am planning to stay in an apartment, I was told at our dinner the night before interviews that no one stays in the dorms. Plus, I want to bring my boston terrier and dogs are not allowed in the dorms. I'm looking into a studio apartment or one bedroom because I like having my own space and don't plan to room with anyone. I need it to be QUIET when I study. I'm looking into places just southwest of campus, but I have no clue if that's a quiet zone or a crazy party zone. Pictures of the empty rooms don't really give you an idea of how it's like on a crazy Friday night, if you know what I mean!

Are you IS or OOS?

I too will be accepting my offer to Ohio State! As far as places to live around campus, anywhere NOT directly on campus (i.e. anything just east of High St.) is usually a pretty calm spot. Most of the undergrads live east of High from 8th ave to north of Lane. Those are the rowdy spots on the weekends. Obviously bad neighbors are bad neighbors wherever you live, but generally if you are a few minutes from campus you are safe!

YAY, our group is growing :). Do you attend OSU now Marino? Will look for places in that area :). Might PM you with the ones I'm looking at, if you have a minute to take a look. I am so lost when it comes to where to stay.

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY, our group is growing :). Do you attend OSU now Marino? Will look for places in that area :). Might PM you with the ones I'm looking at, if you have a minute to take a look. I am so lost when it comes to where to stay.
Yes, I am a current OSU student. So far, I have been looking into the places that are recommended by the school. But I think for the most part, I am going to wait until we get a facebook page and current vet students start looking for new roommates. At the very least that will give us a connection on what places are good to live in and where to stay away from.

Hey everyone, Squirrels, you PMed me about this too. If you guys still have your "Why Ohio State" brochures from your interviews, that has a full page front and back of places to live that are really popular with vet students/grad students/other professional students. Squirrels, I wouldn't look directly southwest of campus. While better than East of High, directly West of high you're still going to have some undergrad rowdiness. It's not terrible-I lived East of High for two years in undergrad and never had problems with noise or anything. Granted that was because I lived so far east of High that it was slightly terrifying, but that's another story. Anyway, look into places like Governor's Square, Olentangy Commons, Fox and Hound, Runaway Bay, etc. Those are the nicer complexes that are 10-15 minutes away from campus and are generally in quiet, safe neighborhoods. I currently live at Hearthstone Condominiums, which is directly South of Fox and Hound and across the street from Governor's Square. I love it here, but rather than being an apartment complex it's more like a condo community which has mostly individually owned condos. My girlfriend and I and our roommate rent from a man who is a real estate agent who bought this condo when he went to Ohio State and now rents it out to students. Because of this we got an awesome deal on a really nice place. So my advice would be to start your search now and you might stumble upon a real gem!

Also, this is from the OSUCVM website: http://vet.osu.edu/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/education/List of apts.pdf
It's very similar to (if not the same as) what is in your Why Ohio State brochure.

Thanks EllieG. I am planning to live alone and the places in the Why Ohio State are really expensive if living alone. Stadium view apartments seems like it might be a good choice, though. A little cheaper than the others.

Thanks EllieG. I am planning to live alone and the places in the Why Ohio State are really expensive if living alone. Stadium view apartments seems like it might be a good choice, though. A little cheaper than the others.

It is very expensive to live alone, you'll find =( Stadium View isn't bad. My best friend lives in Olentangy Commons alone. It's a bit over $600 a month I think and she manages to swing it just fine. She's got a really nice-sized apartment for it just being her, with a nice sized living room with a dining area, a kitchen with w/d hookups, a pretty big bedroom with 2 closets (one is walk-in) and a fenced-in back patio. Then again, my gf and roommate and I have a two-bedroom, 1.5 bath condo with a full basement, kitchen, dining room, and large patio for $675 a month split between the three of us. Like I said, you have plenty of time to look and maybe stumble upon a good deal, but generally one thing or another has to give-if you want to live in a nice area by yourself, it's going to be expensive. If you want it to be cheaper, you're going to have to live in a less desirable area or get a roommate. I am pretty sure you won't find anything less than $500 to live in by yourself, and I'd guess that you'd probably be spending more in the $625-$675 range if you want the nice area by yourself.

there are a lot of veterinary students at runaway bay apartments. there's a lake, a dog park, and its one of the few apts in the area that don't have a weight limit on dogs if you have a giant one.

I am IS and will be looking for an apartment as well... pet friendly of course so I can bring my husky with me. I am like you squirrelsrule, I need a nice quiet place to study and its hard to find the perfect room mate to live with sometimes. I am willing to room with another person though since the costs of apartments are some what expensive.

I am IS and will be looking for an apartment as well... pet friendly of course so I can bring my husky with me. I am like you squirrelsrule, I need a nice quiet place to study and its hard to find the perfect room mate to live with sometimes. I am willing to room with another person though since the costs of apartments are some what expensive.

Make sure you check breed restrictions with apartments. Unfortunately, Huskies are sometimes restricted breeds at certain complexes.

Hey I got into OSU cvm c/o 2016 too! Is anyone looking for a roommate?

Hey I got into OSU cvm c/o 2016 too! Is anyone looking for a roommate?
I was really hoping to live alone, but after looking at the costs of some of the places recommended in the "Why Ohio State?" book I am now searching for a roomie.

I was really hoping to live alone, but after looking at the costs of some of the places recommended in the "Why Ohio State?" book I am now searching for a roomie.

I am curious when we get a facebook page so we can meet future roommates there as well. Anyone have a clue? I too had hoped to live alone, but it's expensive so I am roommate hunting. For anyone interested I'm an IS student who needs quiet to study. I don't mind a drink every now and then, but am not into getting drunk or throwing big parties all the time. I have a papillon that I would like to bring with me so pet friendly is a must. If anyone is interested maybe we can exchange contact information and talk further to see if we could be good roommates.

I am curious when we get a facebook page so we can meet future roommates there as well. Anyone have a clue? I too had hoped to live alone, but it's expensive so I am roommate hunting. For anyone interested I'm an IS student who needs quiet to study. I don't mind a drink every now and then, but am not into getting drunk or throwing big parties all the time. I have a papillon that I would like to bring with me so pet friendly is a must. If anyone is interested maybe we can exchange contact information and talk further to see if we could be good roommates.
I think the facebook page is set up once people start actually accepting their offers (i.e actually sending in the form and payment). So it shouldn't be much longer, maybe February or March.

I think the facebook page is set up once people start actually accepting their offers (i.e actually sending in the form and payment). So it shouldn't be much longer, maybe February or March.

It's up to you guys to set up a Facebook page =) I set ours up for my class.

I am planning to go down to look at apartments this weekend. I'm hopefully rooming alone this year, but will probably get a room mate second year after getting to know people, if anyone is looking for a room mate then.

I can set it up. I have one for my non-profit, it's really not to hard to do. I'll let you know when it's up :).

Hey Peeps,

I got my acceptance e-mail last week as well and will definitely be attending OSU this fall :).
I went here for undergrad and have since started working; however, I cannot wait to return! As far as housing goes anywhere immediately adjacent to campus is going to be populated by undergrads. I lived East of High throughout undergrad and it gets quite noisy (all the time). There is a page on the CVM website that lists popular apartment complexes for vet school students and they're all within ten min of campus. I'm planning on picking from there as it's the best bet for some peace and a tad more safety.

P.S. Props on the Facebook page set-up :)

So the only complaint I have about the facebook is I tried posting things and they just disappear. Do you need to switch something so people can post?

Hmmm, I think it's something new with facebook. I had notifications of two new posts and clicked and it took me to an everyone tab. I left it checked on that one, the rest of the page looks the same, but now I see your posts. :confused: Try going back to the page now and see if with that being the one checked you can see it. Hopefully you can.

OK, think I found it. There was something in the settings that gave a choice to only show posts by page or to show all posts. It's now on show all posts, so your posts should be showing :thumbup:

I'll be accepting my offer to OSU also! I'm so, so, so excited to start and meet all of you! Like a few people said, I was hoping to live alone but depending on costs might look into getting a roommate. Definitely want to avoid the undergrad scene though. Quick question, does anyone know if there is a deposit for IS students? I tried finding it online but all I saw was the $300 deposit for OOS. Thanks!

I'll be accepting my offer to OSU also! I'm so, so, so excited to start and meet all of you! Like a few people said, I was hoping to live alone but depending on costs might look into getting a roommate. Definitely want to avoid the undergrad scene though. Quick question, does anyone know if there is a deposit for IS students? I tried finding it online but all I saw was the $300 deposit for OOS. Thanks!
According to the vet med website, there is a $25 acceptance fee for instate students. The tuition deposit is only for OOS as I understand it.
http://vet.osu.edu/education/tuition-fees-and-payment-information

My dad and I are going down to look at apartments this weekend. I'm super excited! We have 7 places to check out :). Plus we're gonna stop by the housing fair, never know, I might find something good there too. There is one place I'm looking at in undergrad country that might not be too bad. Trying to weigh the value of staying alone with the benefit of staying in a nicer quieter place. Currently still hoping to stay alone :thumbup:. I do have money saved up, so I can pay the extra for the first year without needing any extra loans, then maybe I'll find someone to room with or a cheaper place to stay. Some of mine that I found are 12-15 minutes out and are much more reasonably priced. So, I could stay further out first 2 years then move closer when we have to be on call for clinicals. We'll see. Super excited about going to check out apartments this weekend :D.

Hey guys,

I notice the Facebook thing was a public page that you simply 'like'. I was thinking it would be better to create a group so that we can keep our posts and pictures private. The past classes have used groups and there are also more options available. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know whether we will be receiving the paper work to sign and return in our hard copy letter of acceptance packet or just what they told us to sign and return in the email. Also, I was curious on everyones opinions on working while attending vet school. So far I'm thinking part time so that I don't have to rely loans to afford to live on. This is such an exciting yet slightly nerve racking process making sure everything goes smoothly.

I will not be working, at least first semester. If I have extra time and think I can swing working part time then maybe the following semester. Vet school is a ton of work though, and I've heard from a lot of vets that working isn't advised and a lot of people start off working and get really overwhelmed.

I think it's 25 according to the website. If you are looking for a roommate I would be interested in exchanging contact info to see if we might be good roommates. I checked around and the cost of living alone is probably going to be too high.

I'm looking at 3 that are further out that look good:

Skyview towers http://theskyviewtowers.com/ That one is just $565 for 1 bedroom and utilities are included in the rent!

Galloway apartments http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx?page=summary&property=102697.44&SearchCriteria=SDL5yXelFQ3el5NPkf6Df8F8nWkyfD8J2xiig-|uzbwY%2fqKMDXXNETbbbEwhqMo0muVj8-|OrOOfeTKMvfp5CxeTKOolXswGjvpMUUtWRvNlMcxCxKmRg7oJywooO2owmglTXeCgjpp225RslhFLT8ATTN3TPHhKB72uVeVHXEtDFOLak7d%2fXZdIi4RzJhTZdPNY3qWTwqNIkc9SlHGO-|auQ%3d%3d&prvpg=1067&pagen=3&sid=aaac8d0b-9ab5-4b23-9127-06eeb0a27b7d&stype=CityStateOrZip&productId=P&pdriveit=0&pdrivefrm=1#MenuItem
Called on that one this afternoon and unfortunately there will be no studios available for the fall, but the price on the one bedroom is not bad either!

And

East Worthington Village apartments- I'm looking into this one mostly because it's Northeast Columbus and would save me 30 minutes drive time to get home to Northeast Ohio. Plus it's near the Ohio Wildlife Center (if anyone is interested in wildlife rehab, I know a lot of the people at the Ohio Wildlife Center and they are all great!). Rent is much better than near campus, but still a bit high since no utilities are covered in rent. Not bad, though. http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx?page=summary&property=157572.5&SearchCriteria=SDL5yXelFQ3el5NPkf6Df8F8nWkyfD8J2xiig-|uzbwY%2fqKMDXXNETbbbEwhqMo0muVj8-|OrOOfeTKMvfp5CxeTKOolXswGjvpMUUtWRvNlMcxCxKmRg7oJywooO2owmglTXeCgjpp225RslhFLT8ATTN3TPHhKB72uVeVHXEtDFOLak7d%2fXZdIi4RzJhTZdPNY3qWTwqNIkc9SlHGO-|auQ%3d%3d&prvpg=1067&pagen=4&sid=aaac8d0b-9ab5-4b23-9127-06eeb0a27b7d&stype=CityStateOrZip&productId=BA2110&pdriveit=0&pdrivefrm=1#MenuItem

Another one I called on, but don't hold much hope on are Moon Glow- 1 bedroom is $420 rent and dogs are an extra $10 a month. Called and the guy was in a rush to get off the phone and said just to stop by and didn't need a time or anything, got the feeling that it's not the greatest, but will still check it out.

I'll let you guys know how my search goes :).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that all the places I listed allow dogs :thumbup:. Some might have weight restrictions though, I don't really pay attention to that since I have a Boston terrier.

Ahhh! Still so excited! My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to C-bus late July/early August. I really hate apartment hunting, especially in a city I'm not familiar with :(

But still excited, ahhhh!

WAHOOO! Congrats OH bunny girl, so excited for you.

I have found an apartment in Worthington :). I plan to move in August 1st.

And today, after getting home from my trip to Columbus to look for an apartment, I got my official acceptance in the mail :soexcited:. Already got the check written out and form signed and ready to mail Monday morning :D. Super excited!

WAHOOO! Congrats OH bunny girl, so excited for you.

I have found an apartment in Worthington :). I plan to move in August 1st.

And today, after getting home from my trip to Columbus to look for an apartment, I got my official acceptance in the mail :soexcited:. Already got the check written out and form signed and ready to mail Monday morning :D. Super excited!

Tuesday-Monday is MLK day. Not to burst your bubble. And I was getting ready to respond to your PM but it sounds like you have it all figured out! Congrats!!

Yeah, sorry EllieG, meant to PM you last night that I decided to go not with moonglow but to go with East Worthington. I really like it, nice spacious one bedrooms for $450 a month and only fee for a pet is $150 nonrefundable fee, but no extra monthly fee. We cruised the neighborhood and it looks like a really good place to stay.

If people are looking, the recommended by vet students are nice (I love the Herritage!) and are super close to vet campus (at least the ones I toured that were lower priced).

I would avoid Skyview Towers personally. It was AWESOME, especially for the price (only $575 with all utilities included for a decent sized 1 bedroom), but getting there :eek:. There are a lot of condemned buildings and vacant lots and you got the feeling that it was not somewhere you would want to break down or get lost in. The actual apartment complex is gated and you have to use your card to get in, so I'm confident it is safe, so if you're a guy it probably wouldn't be the worst or if you're living with others, it probably wouldn't be bad, but not really somewhere I'd want to live alone at, if you know what I mean.