Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Niehaus and a blonde, 2nd yr student (I believe) I can't remember her name :oops:. I really liked both of them! Wish I wouldn't have spaced out so bad, didn't even send thank yous (but in my defense there was a section in some handout saying they were unnecessary, as people have mentioned earlier). I would be curious if anyone else had these two and their thoughts of how the interview went :)

Members don't see this ad.

I had 2 males....I wrote their names down but it wasn't either one of them. One was a radiologist and the other one was biomed. I had the same experience. They mostly asked behavioral questions and wrote a lot. I left feeling that the question's weren't "hard". I was expecting more clinical questions but I don't feel that I did great. I keep going over the interview thinking I should have said this or why didn't I say that? Sigh...this waiting is killing me and I didn't realize they were sending out offers this early which is disheartening. I understand why...their stats are remarkable:) I would have appreciated it if dr. Lord would have conveyed that early offers were going out to some when she was speaking to us.

I had 2 males....I wrote their names down but it wasn't either one of them. One was a radiologist and the other one was biomed. I had the same experience. They mostly asked behavioral questions and wrote a lot. I left feeling that the question's weren't "hard". I was expecting more clinical questions but I don't feel that I did great. I keep going over the interview thinking I should have said this or why didn't I say that? Sigh...this waiting is killing me and I didn't realize they were sending out offers this early which is disheartening. I understand why...their stats are remarkable:) I would have appreciated it if dr. Lord would have conveyed that early offers were going out to some when she was speaking to us.

they stated that some people would hear early but the vast majority will hear in feb. so i wouldnt worry about not hearing anything yet.
the last interview date is coming up this saturday so the decisions should be coming out fairly soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when we can be expecting an official acceptance in the mail ? and if would include any financial information.

i really really like osu especially bc all their hospitals are together and they have a mph dual degree but if i get in somewhere else (prob not but if) i think it would ultimately come down to financial circumstances

Heart stopped because I got an email from OSU....

.... to fill out their interview survey.

Reactions: 9 users
Heart stopped because I got an email from OSU....

.... to fill out their interview survey.

Thanks for the heads up!
I saw your post BEFORE I checked my email :)
Saved me the panic

For those who have interviewed this year and went to the admissions talk already: have they addressed what will happen to the size of c/o 2021 with regards to last year's deferrals? Are they reducing or increasing the size of the class to accommodate those people? Did they mention how many people took the deferment offers?

Have they explicitly stated how many seats they will be offering to IS and OOS people this year? (Last year they cut down on the initial offers to IS and with the over acceptance of OOS they pulled few IS off the waitlist making for the smallest IS number they've had in 10+ years.)

For those who have interviewed this year and went to the admissions talk already: have they addressed what will happen to the size of c/o 2021 with regards to last year's deferrals? Are they reducing or increasing the size of the class to accommodate those people? Did they mention how many people took the deferment offers?

Have they explicitly stated how many seats they will be offering to IS and OOS people this year? (Last year they cut down on the initial offers to IS and with the over acceptance of OOS they pulled few IS off the waitlist making for the smallest IS number they've had in 10+ years.)

they did not mention any of this at my session, i believe. i know they said that had over accepted oos last year but they didnt really say anything about it more than that.

No they didn't really address it. :\

Dr. Lord said at the dinner before our interview day that they accept roughly 50/50 IS to OOS. It was actually 40% IS and 60% OOS according to last years admitted class. So she may have meant that for this year they were aiming closer to 50/50 because of accepting too many OOS last year? But I'm not certain on that.

This is exactly how I felt!! I mean exactly. So trust me when I say, you probably did perfectly fine when compared to other interviews. I was super prepared for medical, profession related and application questions and got zero of those questions. So I felt like I pulled so many answers out of my ass as far as for all the behavioral questions. I was visibly nervous and had dry mouth and felt like I blacked out for the first 10 mins of my interview :laugh: (it got better as it went along, but still..). I mean Im not proud of that but what I'm getting at is try to be more at ease because somehow I still got in! You probably stand a really good chance!

my advisor let me know that most questions would be behavioral
and both my interviewers were both really nice, engaged, and conversational. one even made fun of the other for writing too much.
Bill and Kat interviewed me. we talked about my lack of LA and he even told me that he could 100% get me in somewhere and to contact him if i do end up at OSU (whether vet or mph since the mph was my backup). Im oos but im sure if i lived in the area he would have offered even if i didnt attend the school .

Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly how I felt!! I mean exactly. So trust me when I say, you probably did perfectly fine when compared to other interviews. I was super prepared for medical, profession related and application questions and got zero of those questions. So I felt like I pulled so many answers out of my ass as far as for all the behavioral questions. I was visibly nervous and had dry mouth and felt like I blacked out for the first 10 mins of my interview :laugh: (it got better as it went along, but still..). I mean Im not proud of that but what I'm getting at is try to be more at ease because somehow I still got in! You probably stand a really good chance!

Thanks:) I need to be more patient and quit overthinking everything.

Well, got the email this morning about not being admitted off the interview waitlist (which I figured was due, since the last interview date has passed...). Did anyone on the alternate list end up getting an interview slot?

for establishing residency, how long must you live in ohio prior to the start of the term.

for establishing residency, how long must you live in ohio prior to the start of the term.

I don't believe there is a set time. An OOS person asked a similar question at my session this past weekend. Dr. Lords basically said don't move to Ohio early if that financially strains you (loans won't be disbursed until a week before classes) just for residency purposes. Even if you could move to Ohio tomorrow, you would still have to pay OOS tuition for Spring 2018 because you wouldn't become a resident until a month into the semester. Obviously, moving to Ohio early - finding a place to live, maybe getting a short term job before school - does present other benefits.

Essentially if you aren't already IS, you won't be considered IS for spring 2018 even if you moved now. As Filly Bay said, it is a 12 month process. There will be a certain date you have to move by in order to get IS for fall 2018 but I think that is just by the 1st day of the semester. There are some additional hoops you'll have to jump through (which can change slightly year to year) but they should have someone talk to you about it near the beginning of the semester. If you have any questions it's always best to call the school (not the vet school but main campus) and ask

I just noticed Dr. Lord left me a voicemail at 3:25 p.m. today asking me to give her a call back regarding admissions.... what does this mean!!?!?!

I don't believe there is a set time. An OOS person asked a similar question at my session this past weekend. Dr. Lords basically said don't move to Ohio early if that financially strains you (loans won't be disbursed until a week before classes) just for residency purposes. Even if you could move to Ohio tomorrow, you would still have to pay OOS tuition for Spring 2018 because you wouldn't become a resident until a month into the semester. Obviously, moving to Ohio early - finding a place to live, maybe getting a short term job before school - does present other benefits.
Essentially if you aren't already IS, you won't be considered IS for spring 2018 even if you moved now. As Filly Bay said, it is a 12 month process. There will be a certain date you have to move by in order to get IS for fall 2018 but I think that is just by the 1st day of the semester. There are some additional hoops you'll have to jump through (which can change slightly year to year) but they should have someone talk to you about it near the beginning of the semester. If you have any questions it's always best to call the school (not the vet school but main campus) and ask

yeah , im not worried about spring 2018. ( i actually just moved back to pennsylvania after being in ohio
for undergrad 4 years, should have stayed lol) . I just was wondering for fall 2018 because somewhere on the website it said "must be living in ohio prior to the first day of classes" so i wasnt sure if that meant like a week or to before classes or like a month, you know? I think I want to move there a little early just so i can get settled into the area and apartment/house ( I know around where i live some vet students live in townhouses vs apartments because its more readily available) . Also I am planning on bringing my cat and want him to get settled before I have to be gone for 8 hours a day.

I just noticed Dr. Lord left me a voicemail at 3:25 p.m. today asking me to give her a call back regarding admissions.... what does this mean!!?!?!

probably means you are accepted I think.
let us know!

To establish residency there are a few boxes you need to check off. You need to be living in Ohio for at least 12 mo and have not left the state for any longer than 30 days total or for longer than a 2 weeks period. You also need to establish financial independence. This means no money from parents or relatives. Apparently they will check your accounts to make sure you haven't received any padding prior to starting classes.

yeah , im not worried about spring 2018. ( i actually just moved back to pennsylvania after being in ohio
for undergrad 4 years, should have stayed lol) . I just was wondering for fall 2018 because somewhere on the website it said "must be living in ohio prior to the first day of classes" so i wasnt sure if that meant like a week or to before classes or like a month, you know? I think I want to move there a little early just so i can get settled into the area and apartment/house ( I know around where i live some vet students live in townhouses vs apartments because its more readily available) . Also I am planning on bringing my cat and want him to get settled before I have to be gone for 8 hours a day.
Even if you moved today, you wouldn't be able to get in state tuition for fall 2017. You must have been a resident for a year, and they start assessing your case on the first day of the fall semester. In my case, I can apply for in state tuition for residency purposes in June, but they don't have to give me a reply until August for fall 2017 semester. If you have questions, I strongly encourage you to call the residency office. Only they can give you definitive answers.

To establish residency there are a few boxes you need to check off. You need to be living in Ohio for at least 12 mo and have not left the state for any longer than 30 days total or for longer than a 2 weeks period. You also need to establish financial independence. This means no money from parents or relatives. Apparently they will check your accounts to make sure you haven't received any padding prior to starting classes.

thanks. I was just wondering because it says on the website "must be living in ohio prior to the start of the term" i wasnt sure how much prior that was. All of the other stuff i know. I have no outside financial support anyway (not in a parents dont care for me way lol more as in a parents couldnt padmy account even if they wanted to way).

Even if you moved today, you wouldn't be able to get in state tuition for fall 2017. You must have been a resident for a year, and they start assessing your case on the first day of the fall semester. In my case, I can apply for in state tuition for residency purposes in June, but they don't have to give me a reply until August for fall 2017 semester. If you have questions, I strongly encourage you to call the residency office. Only they can give you definitive answers.

haha i keep getting this response. Thanks but i meant for the next fall (start of my second year) . I was just wondering how much prior meant bc on the website it says "must be living in ohio prior to start of term" and I didnt know how much prior they meant (week vs month) . though I am debating just moving out there anyway since i did my undergard there (not osu but in the state) and the cost of living is cheaper in that area .

thanks. I was just wondering because it says on the website "must be living in ohio prior to the start of the term" i wasnt sure how much prior that was. All of the other stuff i know. I have no outside financial support anyway (not in a parents dont care for me way lol more as in a parents couldnt padmy account even if they wanted to way).

haha i keep getting this response. Thanks but i meant for the next fall (start of my second year) . I was just wondering how much prior meant bc on the website it says "must be living in ohio prior to start of term" and I didnt know how much prior they meant (week vs month) . though I am debating just moving out there anyway since i did my undergard there (not osu but in the state) and the cost of living is cheaper in that area .
You have to live in Ohio and be a legal resident for a year before you can get in state tuition. So for your second year, you can't leave Ohio over the summer except for a once in a lifetime experience. You'll be living here before your second year no matter what then. Someone already said this but you can only leave 30 days total for that entire year and no more than 14 days at a time. Also, any money you have been saving between last August until school starts next August cannot be used unless it was taxed in Ohio.

You have to live in Ohio and be a legal resident for a year before you can get in state tuition. So for your second year, you can't leave Ohio over the summer except for a once in a lifetime experience. You'll be living here before your second year no matter what then. Someone already said this but you can only leave 30 days total for that entire year and no more than 14 days at a time. Also, any money you have been saving between last August until school starts next August cannot be used unless it was taxed in Ohio.

so i cant use the money i make from my job now to pay for anything during school ? about 1k of the money in my account (so most of it) was taxable by ohio the rest i earned in PA. which ive been saving specifically for vet school. if i cant use it i might as well spend it on something fun lol. idk how i would discern that or anything . im contacting the residency office and fin aid tomorrow during normal hours i just was checking here first .

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be negative, but does anyone know if they have sent out any rejections? Totally trying to be patient still, but it is driving me crazy.

Really? Wow. I didn't know these details regarding establishing residency and I'm not sure if I could swing that on my own. Going to have to take that into consideration for next cycle.

Really? Wow. I didn't know these details regarding establishing residency and I'm not sure if I could swing that on my own. Going to have to take that into consideration for next cycle.

they basically say that as a first year , youll be taking out the bulk of your loans to help you establish residency but afterwards you can get any help you want.
also, wht kind of frog/toad is in your picture? is it yours?

ii wont have a car :( im looking for apartments in walking distance but they are all so expensive lol.

Hey, to those who care, I just graduated from OSU with my B.S. last month and have lived in Columbus for 4 years now (I'm from Pittsburgh). I live 6 mins from the main campus and vet campus. I did get IS tuition by living in Ohio for a year; I was going to an Ohio community college paying OOS for a year, before transferring to OSU. You can message me with any questions that you think a local could help with, I'm more than happy to help out where I can ;)

Oh and this might be a bit premature, but.. I think it would be pretty cool to see who's going to be in class with me in the fall! Add me on facebook if you want (message me :D)

I got a message too at 4pm when I was at work. I tried to call back before I got on the bus to head home but no luck at that time. I'll have to call back tomorrow during lunch.

For what it's worth, if they wanted to do anything other than offer you admission, someone else would have left a message. In the last five years I've never heard about Dr. Lord calling someone to just chat or to personally refuse admission. I've never heard of anyone getting a phone call about being rejected from OSU.

Oh and this might be a bit premature, but.. I think it would be pretty cool to see who's going to be in class with me in the fall! Add me on facebook if you want (message me :D)

Me too ! I'm more active on Instagram though so ask for either lol
I'm sure there will be a osu 2021 Facebook
Soon enough though

ACCEPTED! OOS. I spoke with Dr. Lord on the phone and she told me my official acceptance should come by email next week

Reactions: 3 users
ii wont have a car :( im looking for apartments in walking distance but they are all so expensive lol.
Once a class facebook page is up, upper classmen usually post about housing opportunities (either looking for roommates or looking for someone to take over their lease). There are usually a few people looking for roommates for houses in the University View neighborhood which is within walking distance

Maybe living with another vet student would be possible?
Yeah definately but I kind of want to live by myself lol. I just feel more comfortable as I've learned during undergrad . Plus my cat is very skeptical of new people so that In addition to a move might stress him out.
It's still a possibility tho.

Once a class facebook page is up, upper classmen usually post about housing opportunities (either looking for roommates or looking for someone to take over their lease). There are usually a few people looking for roommates for houses in the University View neighborhood which is within walking distance
I've found a place in Kenny road (which is like a 20 min walk according to google so pretty doable ) . They've emailed me and said they have one bedrooms for 675 and they will send pictures .

I don't really think I want to have room mates . I know that keeps the cost down but idk .
I know it's very likely I'll end up with room mates but I'm looking into other options right now in case something happens to be found for a good price .
I don't think the 675 is too bad

i couldnt find it on the website (if some knows if they have it) or if any ones knows when we can expect a informational packet, i guess. Like what is required for first year (ipad, coveralls, dissection kit) etc. I really want to start getting things now slowly so come august im not blowing hundreds of dollars all at once.
or who do you think would be best to email to ask, i was going to email april pugh but wasnt sure if she was the correct person

they basically say that as a first year , youll be taking out the bulk of your loans to help you establish residency but afterwards you can get any help you want.
also, wht kind of frog/toad is in your picture? is it yours?

Ohh, that's a bit better then--so those terms only apply while you're working on gaining res (so that initial year) and not thereafter? I jumped to negative and thought it meant you could not receive any outside/family financial assistance at all in order to remain eligible. Crisis averted, Thanks for the info!

And haha, no this is just a random picture I found. It looks like a Budgett's frog to me but I'm not sure where it originally came from so I could be wrong.

Ohh, that's a bit better then--so those terms only apply while you're working on gaining res (so that initial year) and not thereafter? I jumped to negative and thought it meant you could not receive any outside/family financial assistance at all in order to remain eligible. Crisis averted, Thanks for the info!

And haha, no this is just a random picture I found. It looks like a Budgett's frog to me but I'm not sure where it originally came from so I could be wrong.

yes. It also says that the income must be taxable by ohio so if you had family in ohio that could contribute i think that would be allowed (I would 100% double check that and not take my word on it) .