Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes. It also says that the income must be taxable by ohio so if you had family in ohio that could contribute i think that would be allowed (I would 100% double check that and not take my word on it) .
You have to prove that you are independent, so receiving any money won't be allowed, no matter the state.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to prove that you are independent, so receiving any money won't be allowed, no matter the state.
see, always double check me . lol i emailed the residency office today. i just want to know what kind of documentation i should be keeping nand stuff like that

i couldnt find it on the website (if some knows if they have it) or if any ones knows when we can expect a informational packet, i guess. Like what is required for first year (ipad, coveralls, dissection kit) etc. I really want to start getting things now slowly so come august im not blowing hundreds of dollars all at once.
or who do you think would be best to email to ask, i was going to email april pugh but wasnt sure if she was the correct person
Hold off on buying because upperclassmen are always selling things for cheap. Eventually a Facebook page will be set up for those that accept a seat and that will be a great source of information. I know you want to get stuff done asap, but be patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So do we think that most invites will still go out this month? All these people getting phone calls is stressful lol. Is this pretty typical on how OSU does it?

So do we think that most invites will still go out this month? All these people getting phone calls is stressful lol. Is this pretty typical on how OSU does it?
i didnt even get a phone call i randomnly got a email and thats it. lol but my email came about the same time everyone who got calls received emails. i think thy forgot about me lol

i didnt even get a phone call i randomnly got a email and thats it. lol but my email came about the same time everyone who got calls received emails. i think thy forgot about me lol

I wanna be a Buckeye so so so badly. :xf:

Reactions: 4 users
Wanted to mention that they are putting more bike racks in so biking is a great option! (For those of you looking for housing)

Ahh this wait! I hope I hear something soon! I would love to get a phone call :)

Reactions: 2 users
Wanted to mention that they are putting more bike racks in so biking is a great option! (For those of you looking for housing)

I hadn't heard this. I know my class suggested it to Dean Moore because the racks by the VMC fill up far faster than anywhere else but hadn't yet heard anything was actually being done about it.

I hadn't heard this. I know my class suggested it to Dean Moore because the racks by the VMC fill up far faster than anywhere else but hadn't yet heard anything was actually being done about it.
Dean Moore told our class that they are indeed adding more between Sisson and VMAB. I believe they're also replacing the ones in front of VMC.

Hold off on buying because upperclassmen are always selling things for cheap. Eventually a Facebook page will be set up for those that accept a seat and that will be a great source of information. I know you want to get stuff done asap, but be patient.
im trying to be patient. lol. i took a gap year so im beyond ready to start back at school

deposit is officially put down !

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked back at the 2020 thread, and they heard on Friday, 02/12, so if they are following the same timeline as last year, we could hear this Friday, 02/10!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just looked back at the 2020 thread, and they heard on Friday, 02/12, so if they are following the same timeline as last year, we could hear this Friday, 02/10!!

This just made my stomach drop :nailbiting:

Oh wonderful, that's my birthday lol. Hopefully it's good news!

any current students or residents familiar with the grandview area? on google maps it looks like it may be right near arlington ? if do anyone want to share their thoughts on the area/living conditions?

Grandview is a nice area though it can be pricey (most one bedrooms I've looked at have been $750+). There are a lot of graduate and professional students that live there.

This website is for rentals in the Columbus area. While anything posted right now probably won't be available when you're ready to move to Columbus, it does give you a feel for the types of properties available and the amenities you would expect at certain price points.

Grandview is a nice area though it can be pricey (most one bedrooms I've looked at have been $750+). There are a lot of graduate and professional students that live there.

This website is for rentals in the Columbus area. While anything posted right now probably won't be available when you're ready to move to Columbus, it does give you a feel for the types of properties available and the amenities you would expect at certain price points.

i talked to the manager at one place and he said he has a few $699 available for august move in (650 if you sign for 2 years and he said he has had quite a few stay for all 4 years of vet/med school) . Basically, If i put a deposit down, the unit will be held for me and it seems to be right on the 82 cota line to get me to campus so im thinking I like this place.

i used zillow btw

does anyone have any advice on how to decide between schools? I am trying to decide between here and Colorado State and I have no idea where to start! When I went to both I could imagine myself at either and I want to make the best decision I can!

does anyone have any advice on how to decide between schools? I am trying to decide between here and Colorado State and I have no idea where to start! When I went to both I could imagine myself at either and I want to make the best decision I can!

Cost is a good starting point

Reactions: 7 users
Go by cost unless you have a damn good reason (spouse job, family support with kids, etc) otherwise. Future you who pays off the loans will thank you.

Reactions: 3 users

Unless you are one of the few with a financial situation where this isn't a concern - cost, cost, cost.

Vet school is pricey business.

The "Factors when picking a school" thread can definitely help you like Bottle of Bear said. Cost is most important, and unless you're IS at Colorado, that is a heftyyyy price tag. So that's about a $47,000 difference over 4 years JUST with tuition (and not including interest every year). I would go with Ohio simply because of that!

Did anyone get anything yet? They usually send it around now

Two years ago it was a Tuesday morning

Trying to distract myself and not go too crazy... it's not going so well.

Trying to distract myself and not go too crazy... it's not going so well.

I know...this waiting is excruciating. I have checked my email so many times this month that they may charge me double:annoyed:

I know...this waiting is excruciating. I have checked my email so many times this month that they may charge me double:annoyed:
Me too I feel like I am just a full time email refresher

Waiting patiently too.... if you call checking email every five seconds patiently

So I don't think they want to ruin anyone's Valentine's day.

So I don't think they want to ruin anyone's Valentine's day.
That's what I was thinking. Very polite of them but I don't have plans tonight and would love a reason to celebrate

I'm following this thread with all of you. Accepted OOS 2/1 with a low GPA. Positive vibes out

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Sure thing!

23 yr old male, Georgia resident, 2nd time applicant

Applied:
Georgia, Ohio State, Mississippi State, Kansas State, LMU, Cornell, Colorado State
Rejected: Cornell, Colorado State, Mississippi State
Interviewed: Ohio State, Kansas State, Mississippi State, LMU
Pending: LMU
Waitlisted: Kansas State
Accepted: University of Georgia, Ohio State
Attending: ???

Overall GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.14
Last 45 GPA: 3.7 ish... depends on if the school included my grad school GPA

Degree: BS Biology, Master of Animal and Dairy Science (in progress)

GRE (Q/V/W): 153/157/4

Veterinary Experience:
Veterinary Assistant mixed animal practice (6,000 hrs)
Technician small animal practice (1700 hrs)
Volunteer vet assistant vaccination clinics, FFA pig blood drawing (40 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Co-founder of a 501(c)(3) non-profit foundation for a dog breed (136 hrs)
Equine therapeutic riding centers x2 (200 hrs)
Family farm assistant (Beef cattle production) (200 hrs)
Shelter volunteer (40 hrs)
Summer high school ag seminar speaker (5 hrs)
Pointing dog field trial competitor (600 hrs)

Research:
Masters research investigating alternative treatment method of mastitis in dairy cattle (312 hrs) - currently seeking publication
Undergraduate stream ecology research assistant (300 hrs)
Undergraduate chemistry research assistant (90 hrs)

Other Work Experience
Legal Assistant (400 hrs) (I ALMOST went to law school)

Extracurricular
Founder of a successful recycling program on undergraduate campus. This model subsequently adopted by other schools
President of Judicial Affairs: Interfraternity Council
Vice President of Fraternity
Scholarship Chairman of Fraternity
Tri-beta collegiate honor society
Legal Assistant (almost went to law school)

Honors/Awards
First place veterinary science competition. District + State
Eighth place national veterinary science competition
First place 4-h veterinary science competition - "master" 4-her
Dean's list x2
President's list
President's scholarship award
Natural Resources Conservation scholarship award
Farm Bureau scholarship award
Pointing dog scholarship award
Honor's program

LORs
Mixed animal vet I worked under for 2 years
Small animal vet I worked under for 1 year
Stream ecologist I did research with
UGA county extension agent who knew me since my 4h days

Personal Statement
Spun a story from my experience growing up in my father's veterinary clinic. Detailed my progression from a curious child in his practice to a prepared and capable applicant for veterinary school.

If anything, I got my acceptance email around 5-6 PM. It was sent the second week of February tho. But relax, you'll soon hear from OSU. :)

Anyone get calls or emails this week? Still waiting

In the past, portal has tended to update after decisions have gone out...
Yeah--when I was accepted I kept checking the portal and it took several weeks before it updated. At one point I asked myself, "was I really accepted?" --but it is updated now :).