Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soo... did we ever figure out if there was a Facebook group set up yet? I'm so excited to meet you all!
Not that I've heard of yet, but hopefully soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Soo... did we ever figure out if there was a Facebook group set up yet? I'm so excited to meet you all!
If there isn't I will totally set one up. Can an older student let us know if that is something the students make or is it something run through the school?

If there isn't I will totally set one up. Can an older student let us know if that is something the students make or is it something run through the school?

I know my year someone in my class set it up. You would have to call it The Vet Students of the Class of 2021 (or something along those lines). We're not allowed to use Ohio State in the name. It looks like 2019 and 2020 were started by students so I don't see why you couldn't (unless things have changed and I am giving wrong info). I know April and Sandra like to be in the groups too so you might want to let them know when the group is created.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I've heard of yet, but hopefully soon!
I know my year someone in my class set it up. You would have to call it The Vet Students of the Class of 2021 (or something along those lines). We're not allowed to use Ohio State in the name. It looks like 2019 and 2020 were started by students so I don't see why you couldn't (unless things have changed and I am giving wrong info). I know April and Sandra like to be in the groups too so you might want to let them know when the group is created.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1288118557933704/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
i was emailed by april pugh after i put down my fee. once the buckeye email is created you can join

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially declined my spot. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet! :)

I know last year the school sent out an email asking one of us to set up the facebook group and some guidelines. It wont happen until more of your class is seated. It was early summer-ish time I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Here is to hoping that today is it. They said everyone would know by the 28th so its today, Monday or Tuesday.

Here is to hoping that today is it. They said everyone would know by the 28th so its today, Monday or Tuesday.

Ya, this wait is awful. Especially when I felt really confident in my interview and felt I did really well. Even got good feedback from them!

Have any of you heard anything today?? It's now 4pm in Ohio... I really thought we'd hear back today..

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding distance of residence from the college? I thought someone said that we need to be within 30 minutes once the clinical portion starts and we are on call.

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding distance of residence from the college? I thought someone said that we need to be within 30 minutes once the clinical portion starts and we are on call.

You'd probably have to ask the school about that. I vaguely remember someone mentioning something similar but I don't know if it was general advice to make your life easier or an actual hard rule.

You don't need to follow that for the the first three years but I do believe this is true for the clinical year. @Filly Bay would know better than me

I'm actually not sure what the hard and fast rule is but I believe there is one. For most on call things for rotations you need to be at school within 30 minutes. Some people live outside this range and either have a second apt closer to school or stay with a friend on nights they are on call.

so i have a question about the ipad requirement. for current students, do you think there is a big difference in using the pro w a apple keyboard or a air with a normal blue tooth.
my old ipad needs to be upgraded anyway so i was planning to get one soon cause mine is sooo slow and has no space left .
i was planning on getting an air way before i was accepted to osu but if the pro is going to be more beneficial i'll get that.

so i have a question about the ipad requirement. for current students, do you think there is a big difference in using the pro w a apple keyboard or a air with a normal blue tooth.
my old ipad needs to be upgraded anyway so i was planning to get one soon cause mine is sooo slow and has no space left .
i was planning on getting an air way before i was accepted to osu but if the pro is going to be more beneficial i'll get that.
Get the Pro! You can also use the iPencil with it to take notes on apps (such as notability...which I highly recommend btw). You cannot use the pencil on the air. My s/o has the air and my battery lasts twice as long as hers even with the keyboard attached. I use a Logitech keyboard because when I first purchased mine, Apple's new keyboard was flimsy and I was scared I'd accidentally break it. I also bought the one with the 256gb. ALL of my undergrad classes, notes, power points, PDF's, and slide shows are on there and I'm at around 64gb used. The Pro is well worth the money in the long run :)

Get the Pro! You can also use the iPencil with it to take notes on apps (such as notability...which I highly recommend btw). You cannot use the pencil on the air. My s/o has the air and my battery lasts twice as long as hers even with the keyboard attached. I use a Logitech keyboard because when I first purchased mine, Apple's new keyboard was flimsy and I was scared I'd accidentally break it. I also bought the one with the 256gb. ALL of my undergrad classes, notes, power points, PDF's, and slide shows are on there and I'm at around 64gb used. The Pro is well worth the money in the long run :)

I agree - if you can swing it, I would say go Pro. The Apple Pencil is really, really nice. I was a handwritten note taker in undergrad and wasn't sure how the transition to electronic would be, but having an excellent stylus/pen thing has been fantastic and really helpful.

That's awesome you guys got to meet each other!! I regret not applying to Ohio because I have a lot of family in the area. Could have met you guys if I did! :mad:

Yeah! Come visit haha

You think that size iPad is necessary for school? Or do you use your iPad for other purposes too?

You think that size iPad is necessary for school? Or do you use your iPad for other purposes too?
You have used the same one or do you think you will have to upgrade or something eventually

You have used the same one or do you think you will have to upgrade or something eventually

I got a 32gb if I remember correctly and it's been fine so far - I also just use my iPad for school-related purposes for the most part, though. Also keep in mind we get a whole bunch of online Cloud storage via Box and the Microsoft Office cloud thing through OSU.

I don't at this point foresee needing to change devices before graduating unless something catastrophic happens.

I mean, if you were planning on doing the upgrade, you might as well do it now. I had never owned an iPad. I would also take notes old-school (pencil and notebook). It wasn't until my last semester of undergrad where I got insanely lazy and just started taking notes on my Macbook. And there is no difference on what keyboard you use. I just bought the apple keyboard since my mother has hers and I know they're reliable. You don't really need the apple pencil. You can use any other stylus, but the apple pencil is nice, I guess. The price is kinda crazy tbh, but whatever.

Overall, the iPad has worked wonders. It's made studying much more easier. And since I have all my lectures on Carmen, I can save them in box, transfer them to iannotate and study wherever. I got myself the iPad with wifi + cellular capability. You don't need to use the cellular data, but if I ever feel like activating it, I can just go ahead and get a subscription.

You definitely don't need one with that size just for school. I just didn't want to have to buy another one later for more memory and I also record ALL of my lectures with the notability app. I can go to a specific section where I took notes and it will take me to exactly whatever my prof was talking about at the time I was writing (or typing).

I mean, if you were planning on doing the upgrade, you might as well do it now. I had never owned an iPad. I would also take notes old-school (pencil and notebook). It wasn't until my last semester of undergrad where I got insanely lazy and just started taking notes on my Macbook. And there is no difference on what keyboard you use. I just bought the apple keyboard since my mother has hers and I know they're reliable. You don't really need the apple pencil. You can use any other stylus, but the apple pencil is nice, I guess. The price is kinda crazy tbh, but whatever.

Overall, the iPad has worked wonders. It's made studying much more easier. And since I have all my lectures on Carmen, I can save them in box, transfer them to iannotate and study wherever. I got myself the iPad with wifi + cellular capability. You don't need to use the cellular data, but if I ever feel like activating it, I can just go ahead and get a subscription.

I've used several of the different stylus' and I just find that the Apple Pencil is the best. Of course it could just be a preference but it literally is the best one for writing I have used. It IS more expensive, but since I hand write my notes for better memorization I find it to be amazing!

Ok so pro it is! soon as i get my tax refund! i really liked my old ipad but im excited

While we're on the ipad subject, do you buy it through the school or do you get it yourself? I'm not getting it now and am probably waiting until closer to August, but I'm just curious!

While we're on the ipad subject, do you buy it through the school or do you get it yourself? I'm not getting it now and am probably waiting until closer to August, but I'm just curious!
You buy it yourself. When I bought it, Best Buy was having a College Student coupon deal where you got $100 off, so I would highly recommend signing up for their coupons!

You buy it yourself. When I bought it, Best Buy was having a College Student coupon deal where you got $100 off, so I would highly recommend signing up for their coupons!

id also like to say that if you have a best buy credit card you can get up to 24 month financing depending on price . i had no interest at all on the last laptop i brought cause i paid it off in that time frame (12 months because it wasnt that expensive)

Sign up with Best Buy with any .edu account and they will send you the student coupons like @lilylilac said! They usually send $100-$150 off for Apple products. (I did find that Best Buy had the best sales on iPads and MacBooks in July jsyk.)

When you put in a change of address with USPS they will also send you a Best Buy coupon for 10% off. I was able to use BOTH coupons when I purchased my iPad. They gave me the $150 off and then the 10% off of the remaining total :) @TarantulaMom

Reactions: 2 users
Sign up with Best Buy with any .edu account and they will send you the student coupons like @lilylilac said! They usually send $100-$150 off for Apple products. (I did find that Best Buy had the best sales on iPads and MacBooks in July jsyk.)

When you put in a change of address with USPS they will also send you a Best Buy coupon for 10% off. I was able to use BOTH coupons when I purchased my iPad. They gave me the $150 off and then the 10% off of the remaining total :) @TarantulaMom

Totally agree with BestBuy and looking in July. I got my MacBook last July and it was on sale for $100 off the usual price + I used the $100 off student coupon. It was an excellent deal. Hoping to do the same thing with an iPad this year...

Here's to hoping we hear some good news this week. This wait is torture and the longer I wait- the less optimistic I become :/

Hiii! Super random question, but does OSU have a dress code? Also is there a place that we can buy vet school apparel because I am so pumped :))))))

Hi! There's no dress code here! We can wear whatever to class, but obviously just try not to go in your PJs lol also you can buy the vet school stuff mostly through the vet school so you'll probably have to wait until school starts. I do know they have generic CVM shirts at a store on campus though called Conrads so you could actually try there if you're on campus anytime soon!

For those buying IPads:
I've heard that there may be a new iPad Pro being released sometime this year, possibly as soon as March. Apple generally drops the cost of old hardware when they launch new stuff. I'm going to hold off on buying mine for now.

Reactions: 3 users