Ohio State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my interview yesterday and just let me tell you I loved the campus! I really hope I get to be a Buckeye! My grades are sub par but I really think I crushed the interview so hopefully that counts!
I was there yesterday and completely agree! The school is amazing and the people were so welcoming. Now to wait...

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I had my interview yesterday and just let me tell you I loved the campus! I really hope I get to be a Buckeye! My grades are sub par but I really think I crushed the interview so hopefully that counts!
I (IS) interviewed yesterday as well. It is an incredible program. I felt comfortable in the interview and I hope to be fortunate to receive an acceptance.

This is by far the worst part. Waiting to receive an invite for the interview was awful but now that I have actually been there and seen the awesomeness these next few weeks are going to be awful. I wonder if I could be placed into a medically induced coma only to be waken by an email or call from OSU?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was there yesterday and completely agree! The school is amazing and the people were so welcoming. Now to wait...

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

I (IS) interviewed yesterday as well. It is an incredible program. I felt comfortable in the interview and I hope to be fortunate to receive an acceptance.

This is by far the worst part. Waiting to receive an invite for the interview was awful but now that I have actually been there and seen the awesomeness these next few weeks are going to be awful. I wonder if I could be placed into a medically induced coma only to be waken by an email or call from OSU?

So glad you guys enjoyed yourselves! OSU is an amazing place <3

Rooting for you all!

Glad you had a good visit! Just wait until you take your NAVLE and are waiting for the results. It's such a worse wait

I am curious as to who interviewed you all. I interviewed this past Thursday, thought it went well and LOVED the school. I was interviewed by a 2017 grad and a second year student which I found to be an unexpected combination. Further, I spoke with someone who interviewed the same day who said they were interviewed by two faculty members and a local vet. That seems to be a big difference in the interviewers in my opinion and I'm trying not to read too much into it. Any thoughts?

I am curious as to who interviewed you all. I interviewed this past Thursday, thought it went well and LOVED the school. I was interviewed by a 2017 grad and a second year student which I found to be an unexpected combination. Further, I spoke with someone who interviewed the same day who said they were interviewed by two faculty members and a local vet. That seems to be a big difference in the interviewers in my opinion and I'm trying not to read too much into it. Any thoughts?

Current 2nd year, here. When I applied, I was interviewed by a faculty member and a 3rd year. I think it's fair to say that there are differences between both kinds of interviewers, but I wouldn't say that, at least at OSU, this would equate to a meaningful difference in how the interview goes and subsequent admissions decisions. It's important to provide an interview experience where the most influential variable is the performance of the applicant, and I have no reason to think that OSU doesn't do this appropriately.

I wouldn't stress about it. :)

And good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Current 2nd year, here. When I applied, I was interviewed by a faculty member and a 3rd year. I think it's fair to say that there are differences between both kinds of interviewers, but I wouldn't say that, at least at OSU, this would equate to a meaningful difference in how the interview goes and subsequent admissions decisions. It's important to provide an interview experience where the most influential variable is the performance of the applicant, and I have no reason to think that OSU doesn't do this appropriately.

I wouldn't stress about it. :)

And good luck!

Additionally, I was told that each of the interviewers go through a training. Also, they have a set of questions in a sheet of paper that they have to ask the applicants.

Additionally, I was told that each of the interviewers go through a training. Also, they have a set of questions in a sheet of paper that they have to ask the applicants.
Thanks for the replies! I wasn't really doubting their process (I'm sure they have it down to an exact science), but was more so curious who had interviewed others and more about the interview process....I didn't realize the interviewers go through training, though it makes complete sense.

Best of luck to everyone, maybe we'll be classmates!

Reactions: 2 users
What are you guys opinions on the importance of GPAs at this point? Now that we have interviewed? Would you estimate the decision at this point is largely based of the interview or still the GPAs play a significant role? I am sure that they do I just wish they did not.

What are you guys opinions on the importance of GPAs at this point? Now that we have interviewed? Would you estimate the decision at this point is largely based of the interview or still the GPAs play a significant role? I am sure that they do I just wish they did not.

There are some schools (VA-MD come to mind) where offers are made solely based on interviews. Interviews are definitely very important at OSU, but they are not the sole factor in acceptances.

How did everyone prepare/preparing for interview questions? Any helpful hints? I have 2 weeks left to marinate and probably do a little panicking so I'm trying to get a feel for how much prepping I have to do haha

How did everyone prepare/preparing for interview questions? Any helpful hints? I have 2 weeks left to marinate and probably do a little panicking so I'm trying to get a feel for how much prepping I have to do haha
Relax. That's my best advice. It really is just an easy conversation. The more relaxed you are the more lucid your responses will be. Go and live your life for the next two weeks, don't stress over the interview. Really.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just had mine last week, and the interviewers really do try to make it seem like a conversation as opposed to a test. Another interview I had previously at a different school was quite cold, and I never actually relaxed during it. But the OSU interviewers are very warm and welcoming, and I could tell they wanted me to do well. You'll get that vibe from everyone there, especially if you attend the dinner the night before. All I did to prepare was go over some veterinary school interview questions I found online in addition to having a mock interview with a couple of my professors from undergrad. Good luck!!

I did not prepare an ounce to be honest. Didn't read a single question online or anything. I wanted my answers to be as holistic as possible. I felt like I had a great interview. Now that's not for everyone but I usually an pretty good at impromptu stuff like that.

Reactions: 1 users
I just had mine last week, and the interviewers really do try to make it seem like a conversation as opposed to a test. Another interview I had previously at a different school was quite cold, and I never actually relaxed during it. But the OSU interviewers are very warm and welcoming, and I could tell they wanted me to do well. You'll get that vibe from everyone there, especially if you attend the dinner the night before. All I did to prepare was go over some veterinary school interview questions I found online in addition to having a mock interview with a couple of my professors from undergrad. Good luck!!
Thanks!! That is helpful to know! Everyone I have talked to so far or know who have gone there have said similar things. I never do well with over preparing so I'll prob just review my application and maybe do what you did and look up some extra interview questions. Glad to hear your interview went well! Good luck! Hopefully everyone will just get in and life will be great:)

Hey guys, I’m asking for a friend who doesn’t have SDN.. does anyone know if they sent out all their interview invites already? Thanks!

Awesome!! Glad I'm not the only one who chose the last day for interviews lol! Maybe will see you there! Are you attending the dinner Friday?!
I am attending the welcome dinner on Friday!

Thanks!! That is helpful to know! Everyone I have talked to so far or know who have gone there have said similar things. I never do well with over preparing so I'll prob just review my application and maybe do what you did and look up some extra interview questions. Glad to hear your interview went well! Good luck! Hopefully everyone will just get in and life will be great:)

My suggestion would be to practice answering at least few interview questions outloud with somebody, as verbalizing answers the day of when you're nervous is harder than you might think :) Having a few thoughts together for common interview type questions in advance is a great safety blanket!

Has anyone heard anything about OSU calling for acceptances earlier than mid February, like they did last year (~a week after the first round of interviews)?

Has anyone heard anything about OSU calling for acceptances earlier than mid February, like they did last year (~a week after the first round of interviews)?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm curious to know if people have heard anything. Three of my friends applied last year. One heard the following week, one heard two weeks later, and one heard in mid-February.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm curious to know if people have heard anything. Three of my friends applied last year. One heard the following week, one heard two weeks later, and one heard in mid-February.
I interviewed 1/5 but haven't heard anything nor do I expect to be as I am not a top tier applicant.

The way it has worked in previous years is the very top % of applicants may get a call within a week or so of interviewing.

I don't know how they are doing it this year, but if it's the same, don't panic if a week passes and you haven't heard anything. The majority of accepted folks don't find out until mid-Feb or so, as noted earlier - and an acceptance is an acceptance :)

I received a call today that I've been accepted :soexcited:. The calls are coming!

Reactions: 7 users
I can't believe it either! I looked at my phone and saw a Columbus area code and I literally mouthed "no way". 1/4 was my interview date.
Wow that's amazing I'd literally go banana's if I got a call!!!! Any way you'd post your stats?

Believe me, I'm ecstatic haha! I'm gonna send you a PM with my stats in case you have any follow-up questions!

Hey quick question about the tour is it indoors while we walk to where the tour is from where we check in and have interviews? Just wondering about wearing my interview dress if I’m going to be freezing or not?

Hey quick question about the tour is it indoors while we walk to where the tour is from where we check in and have interviews? Just wondering about wearing my interview dress if I’m going to be freezing or not?

Part of the tour is seeing the hospital but it’s a short walk from the main academic building where you’ll check in and interview to the hospital.

Part of the tour is seeing the hospital but it’s a short walk from the main academic building where you’ll check in and interview to the hospital.
Ok thanks! The weather is not suppose to be bad next weekend so that’s good!

I have an acceptance so far to SGU but I so desperately hope I can tell them no! Come on phone, ring!

I have an acceptance so far to SGU but I so desperately hope I can tell them no! Come on phone, ring!
I got in there last year and this year and I just can’t bring myself to go all the way there because I know I can get into a school in the US!

I got in there last year and this year and I just can’t bring myself to go all the way there because I know I can get into a school in the US!
Well this is my second time applying also. Also the first year with any sort of acceptance. If it is the only school I get into I will go. I just prefer to stay stateside.

Well this is my second time applying also. Also the first year with any sort of acceptance. If it is the only school I get into I will go. I just prefer to stay stateside.
Yea I feel the same way this time around. I’m waitlisted at one school, waiting to hear back from another and I have my Ohio Interview coming up this weekend! Goodluck!

I wouldn’t stress about not getting that phone just yet! While it’s fantastic to hear early, the majority of decisions will likely come mid-February like last year. I remember the frantic refreshing of my email every 5 minutes all too well :nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't, *sigh*, saying the wait is awful is an understatement. ): IS applicant and interviewed on the 3rd.
I definitely feel your pain as I am in-state too. The price differences are staggering so I feel like that makes the wait so much worse :(.

I cannot believe that only one of us has heard anything. I realize that SDN members only represent a fraction of the applicants but still....

^^ My friend got her acceptance today! OOS, I think she interviewed the 4th.

Reactions: 2 users
I cannot believe that only one of us has heard anything. I realize that SDN members only represent a fraction of the applicants but still....

Fractions of fractions. It’s a very small minority of interviewees who will get those early admission calls. Plus, there just seems to be fewer active SDN members interviewing this cycle than in previous years.

Hi everyone,
I'm a current 1st year so I know how anxious this wait is now.
While there will be the occasional person that gets accepted by phone call, PLEASE do not freak out by this. Usually only the top 5% gets the phone call acceptance, and the rest will hear back mid February. It is extremely hard to get a phone call - I had straight A's in college and thousands of hours of all types of experiences and I still didn't get a call. For me, the best decision was to stop looking at the forums until my decision came. I met a lot of the people interviewing here over the past few weeks, and the best advice I gave everyone was to avoid looking at this forum after your interview - it is just going to cause so much unnecessary stress. You may hear someone at other interviews mention that they got accepted or got a phone call (that happened to me when I was interviewing at Purdue), and you have to remember that the large bulk of acceptances will not be here until February. I know it's hard to do but you just need to try to stay calm and relax. Getting a phone call (or lack thereof) does not mean that you are going to be the best student in vet school (I never got a phone call, but I still got a 4.0 my first semester). Just hold out until February! <3

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for sharing this. That really made me feel a lot better.

I just realized that sounded super sarcastic and I really did not mean for it to sound like that lol.

Hey!
Thank you! I'm OOS
I got a call saying I was accepted as well :) SO SO excited! Have you received a email yet? When should we be expecting that? I was crying on the phone so I couldn't really understand what the woman was saying hah

Reactions: 4 users
Got the call today!!! I'm accepted IS!! :soexcited:
For those of you still waiting- hang in there! This is my second go at applying, last year got denied after my interview- so there is always hope. Just keep smiling and know you're good enough!! Good luck everyone!
And for those of you already accepted- I'm excited to meet you guys in the fall!

Reactions: 3 users