Ohio State c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who got an interview do we have to attend the dinner?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone decided to send their Fall 2018 transcripts to the admissions office and if so, are there directions on how to do this?

I called them yesterday and unless you got accepted they do not want your transcript.

I got an IS invite this morning at 8:50!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview this morning. Technically IS but they considered me OOS for some reason. O-H-I-O

How were you able to tell this? I am also IS but didn't see anything about that in the email

Is that it on the invites then?

Reactions: 3 users
How were you able to tell this? I am also IS but didn't see anything about that in the email

An email was sent to me after I filled out the supplemental application about being considered OOS. This email said nothing about IS or OOS

Got an interview this morning. Technically IS but they considered me OOS for some reason. O-H-I-O
An email was sent to me after I filled out the supplemental application about being considered OOS. This email said nothing about IS or OOS
Contact admissions ASAP if you haven’t to make sure your app gets reviewed with the IS pool for final decisions. If there’s some actual reason they’re considering you OOS definitely find that out.

Does anyone know if ohio state is completely done with sending interview invites?

I heard that not having heard back yet doesn’t indicate anything about your application in particular and that everyone should hear back by January 4th.
Does anyone know if ohio state is completely done with sending interview invites?

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know how perinent the programming prior to interviews is? They say it isn’t mandatory, but will it hurt my chances if i don’t go? I’m a current student and employee of the vet school, so I don’t think the tour will give me too much more insight on the school.

Anyone know how perinent the programming prior to interviews is? They say it isn’t mandatory, but will it hurt my chances if i don’t go? I’m a current student and employee of the vet school, so I don’t think the tour will give me too much more insight on the school.

No. It won’t hurt your chances to not go on the tour but you might want to hear the financial information in the lectures for yourself. Sometimes people ask good questions that are relevant to you. If this is your first interview with OSU it doesn’t hurt to participate fully.

Also, these events are great for people watching if nothing else.

Does anyone know about the interview format? Or types of questions we should be prepared for?

If interviews are being handled as they have the previous few years....

When it’s time for you to interview, you’ll be called from the lounge and taken to a room where you will have two interviewers. These people can be a mix of professors, students, alumni, or hospital employees. Your interviewers have been given time to look over your application materials and make notes. Be prepared for some questions related to things you have put in your essays and for your experiences. Your interviewers will have a little information packet about you that includes a score sheet and a basic framework for how the interview will run- including specific questions everyone will get asked this year.

With regards to the type of questions asked - that kind of depends on you. They are given basic canned questions to get the interview started or keep the interview going. Usually, unless you bring something up or stated something highly specific in your application, the questions are not super technical. A lot of their questions may start with something vague like, “Tell us about a time you failed at something” or “Tell us about a time you had a conflict with another person and how you dealt with it.” Basically, come prepared with vignettes about your life experiences. Thinking back, every year I interviewed they asked questions about failure, hardship, conflict, and dealing with difficult people/customers. They will also likely ask you to briefly describe who you are/ introduce yourself at the beginning of the interview.

If you’re good at interviews (and your interviewers are good at interviews), the conversation will evolve naturally and they won’t have to use many of those vague canned questions. You’re also free to ask them questions at the end about the school/curriculum/etc. Prepare for that. It shows that you’ve done your homework and are interested in the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do people typically wear to the welcome dinner? And ladies.. do we worry about things like our nails being done? Also I have a tiny nose ring (stud) is this bad ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do people typically wear to the welcome dinner? And ladies.. do we worry about things like our nails being done? Also I have a tiny nose ring (stud) is this bad ?

The welcome dinner is business casual. When I interviewed, I wore navy dress pants, a white top, and a light blue cardigan with flats. You don’t have to get as dressed up as for the interview, but I would recommend not wearing jeans!

My nails weren’t done and I really don’t think you need to worry about that at all. They probably wouldn’t even notice unless they were a flashy color or super long. I also don’t think the stud will be a problem, as several current students have them. However, if you’re even slightly worried about it, I would recommend just taking it out before your interview and putting it back in once you’re done.

I called earlier. They said there weren't sending final decisions (wait list/rejections) for at least another few weeks- which means they're potentially sending out more interview invites.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone interview today that can say how the experience was?

Anyone know how forgiving scheduling is?

My flight has already been delayed so now my expected arrival is 11pm. I'm worried it'll get delayed further, or cancelled, and I'll miss my morning interview time.

I've already emailed to check if I can interview in the afternoon instead if that becomes necessary, but figure I'm not the first person to have a flight delayed and would ask here.

Did anyone interview today that can say how the experience was?
I interviewed yesterday and the interviewers forgot me.... literally... I had to go the Dean's office and tell them that they forgot me. I was quite disappointed but did end up being interviewed. The interview was nothing like I expected and was much more difficult than I felt others made it out to be.

Does anyone know if Ohio State calls or sends out acceptances like Penn does? like right after interviews? or do they wait until all the interviews are done

Does anyone know if Ohio State calls or sends out acceptances like Penn does? like right after interviews? or do they wait until all the interviews are done

If you are on opposite ends of the spectrum meaning they really liked you or really hated you, you will know in about 2 weeks. If you were in the middle of everybody (where most students end up) you won't find out for another month and a half. In the past OSU has given out acceptances before everyone has had a chance to interview

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to follow up - I talked to Sandra who was extremely understanding and helpful. I ended up already booking an earlier flight to make sure I got there in time, but she said if anything comes up that she would fit me in on a later date. So if you have flight issues, try not to let it add to your anxiety :)

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry one last thing - anyone else who interviewed.. was your interview closed file? Everyone I know who goes to OSU told me it would be open and then when we sat down they told me “this is a closed file interview” ... I’m wondering if this is a bad sign/ if I’m the only one?

Sorry one last thing - anyone else who interviewed.. was your interview closed file? Everyone I know who goes to OSU told me it would be open and then when we sat down they told me “this is a closed file interview” ... I’m wondering if this is a bad sign/ if I’m the only one?

This was a first for them this year. The interviewers didn't know why they didn't get to read the LORs and Personal Statements this year before the interview.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

For those of you who have already been interviewed, what was your experience like/what were some questions that they asked?

Just interviewed! I don't want to give away questions because they said there are some they're asking everyone and I feel like I'd be breaking some kind of code, but I will say nothing threw me for a loop. Research past interview questions and you'll be adequately prepped. Also know what's on your app - email VMCAS for a copy.

Other than that, it's pretty chill. The people who interviewed me were really welcoming and warm. I had the WORST anxiety beforehand, but I felt much more at ease once it started. 10/10 would do again. But hopefully not

That interview was something else Soooo specific and those rapid fire questions... smh ‍♂️

I had fantastic interviewers. They were very friendly and welcoming. I went in thinking they knew my file, but it became apparent that wasn't the case. They asked a lot of typical questions-nothing crazy. It was pretty rapid fire though, and they had a lot to get through in 30 minutes. I'd recommend coming in with some ideas on how to answer questions. Looking at what people were asked previous years would be helpful. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if they are now done with sending out interviews? Or if they waitlist for interviews? I still haven't heard anything from them

Reactions: 5 users
Someone on fb just posed an OOS denial for Ohio. Anyone else hear anything? I haven’t gotten anything and idk if that’s good or bad lmao

Someone on fb just posed an OOS denial for Ohio. Anyone else hear anything? I haven’t gotten anything and idk if that’s good or bad lmao

They explained at the interviews that outliers will be contacted nearly immediately, and those that fall in the middle of the bell curve will be contacted by the end of February.

So if you’re REALLY good—or REALLY bad—you’ll get contacted soon. Otherwise expect a response in February.

They said they never interviewed with Ohio and were denied, and I haven’t been offered an interview nor have I even heard from Ohio at all, so I’m not sure where I stand.

Sorry, should’ve clarified that more!

They said they never interviewed with Ohio and were denied, and I haven’t been offered an interview nor have I even heard from Ohio at all, so I’m not sure where I stand.

Have you contacted the school? That’s the only thing I’d do in your situation.

Have you contacted the school? That’s the only thing I’d do in your situation.

I haven’t personally, but I know other people in my position have, so I didn’t want to call and bother them just to get the same intel other people have relayed.

They’ve stated by the end of January everyone who hasn’t heard yet should know whether they’ve been denied or interview waitlisted. Since someone in my position was just denied, I was curious if anyone else had heard.

I’m honestly not too stressed about it, as I’m making plans for a gap year anyways (and am lowkey excited about having a gap year to get myself together).

Thanks for your responses though, and I wish you the best!

I’m honestly not too stressed about it, as I’m making plans for a gap year anyways (and am lowkey excited about having a gap year to get myself together).

I'm not too up to date on this whole thread, but I wanted to chime in on the recent discussion and Snowwolf's comment about a gap year. I'm a 25 year old, non-traditional applicant who go a Masters degree and has been working for a year since. I cannot stress enough how much I learned between undergrad and now. After interviewing at Ohio State and trying to picture myself doing it right after undergrad, I would've flopped and would definitely have missed the life experience I got after college (That's just me though...there were plenty of seniors at the interview who ROCKED it!)

All I'm trying to say is that a gap year (or years, in my case!) has done nothing but help me grow as a person, a friend, a future doc, and a student. Whatever happens, it will all be okay in the end and there is a lot of good to be taken away from any situation (I keep telling myself this too while I anxiously wait for an answer from schools! Ah!)

Good luck everyone!

I took a gap year, two actually, pursuing an entirely different career with zero focus on vet med. After it all, I came back because I realized vet med is my true passion. Three interviews, and one acceptance so far :) just goes to show that a gap year is certainly not a death sentence. And, like Biden said, I learned a lot about myself and responsibility over the course of my break.

Sorry, should’ve clarified that more!
I'm in the same boat as you

Edit: OOS rejected. No interview. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
OOS rejected as well!

Edit: I did not get interviewed.

Last edited:
Also OOS rejected! Sad cause I really liked them, but honestly I’m glad to have one less school to stress about. Good luck to y’all!

Edit: no interview either :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Last edited:
OOS rejection, no interview. Disappointed but glad I no longer have to think/worry about this school it's been too long haha